Curses and Ash

By TiffanyDaune

When the rage within threatens to destroy everything... As if firestarter wasn't bad enough, adding assassin... More

My Books
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Eight
Nine
Ten

Seven

5.9K 508 34
By TiffanyDaune

"You let her escape!" Aurelia shook her bow in her fist. She crossed the room and butted against Natalie. "She was right in front of you!"

Natalie shoved her. "Back off, Aurelia. You shot the first gold arrow—her soul wasn't part of the deal." Natalie's green gaze simmered with challenge.

"What the hell's going on? Natalie isn't even freaked by the Hunters," Tage whispered. Natalie was unhinged. And she added insane to the list of things she knew about Halen's sister.

"Maybe they don't need her soul because they're in a room full of sirens. We need to see if we can still get through the portal." Ezra edged toward the window.

Tage followed, being careful not to draw attention, while Natalie and Aurelia argued. 

She pressed her hand to the window, not feeling any trace of magick left. She eyed Daspar, slumped along the cushions. Corinne lay beside her on the floor. She touched Corinne's warm cheek. Though blood dripped from her temple and her eyes fluttered beneath closed lids, her chest rose and fell with breath.  

"Is she okay?" Ezra whispered.

She pressed Corinne's pulse; a faint rhythm beat at her fingertips. "I hope so." Tage glanced at the Hunters.

"We aren't getting out of here," he whispered against her ear, "are we?"

Tage didn't want to say. She knew all too well their fate. Deep lines rimmed Aurelia's eyes, her neck sagged at the chin ever so slightly, and streaks of gray marred her silky black hair. Emil stood at her side. Other than a trimmed beard, his olive skin was as smooth as Ezra's, although he was ancient. Without the kill of a siren, he would be nothing but withered flesh clinging to bones.

"We never should have trusted a siren." Aurelia rummaged through Daspar's pockets, ignoring his moans. "Otho's soul isn't here!"

Her angered gaze landed on Tage. She strode over the debris, stopping in front of them. She grabbed Tage's collar, pulling her under her nose. "Where is Otho—where is his soul?" Her eyes sprouted with fine lines.

Tage trembled, fearing Aurelia would kill her on the spot, just for vanity's sake.

"Leave her alone!" Ezra swatted Aurelia's arm.

"Watch your mouth, siren, or you'll be next." With her free hand, Aurelia struck him across the face, and he flew back. "As you can see, I need a kill." Her gaze drifted to the cracked mirror, and she winced as if her reflection pained her. 

"I won't be your Botox!" Ezra shouted.

Natalie snorted.

Dropping Tage, Aurelia lunged for Ezra. 

"Calm down," Natalie pulled her back. "We'll find him."

"You promised me Otho's soul. You said he would be here." She pointed to the window where the portal once spun. "They took him through there."

Emil stepped forward, hoisting his quiver over his shoulder. "There's nothing we can do here. We need to get out of the city."

"Natalie has twisted your judgment, brother." Aurelia's husky voice was a growl. "For what? Etlis's flames will consume Earth and we will be damned for eternity to a realm of fire. Already, we've lost Otho—because you trusted her!" She turned to Vita. "Surely, my sister, you understand?"

"It's not Natalie's fault," Vita said. Though she was small in stature, she held herself as if she were taller than Aurelia. She placed her hand over the haft of one dagger at her waist. "Otho knew the dangers when he sought the siren. Patience, sister—we will bring our brother home."

Tage leaned into Ezra. "We have to find a way out of here."

Two men dressed in tactical gear blocked the doorway. Along their necks, Tage spotted the welted scar of the Hunter's mark. The Hunters were traveling with humans? Maybe she could take them. She eyed the guns holstered at their hips. Too risky. 

She scanned for another way out when a glimmering sheen drew her attention. She sucked in a sharp breath. No, no, no. Tears welled in her eyes. A gold arrow dropped from Daspar's palm. Blood seeped through his shirt and onto the couch. She crawled toward him, Ezra scooting beside her. "Daspar," she whispered and shook him gently, but he didn't respond.

Tage's gaze darted to Vita; a rosy hue flushed the Huntress's plump cheeks. A whimper escaped Tage's lips.

"It's your fault!" Aurelia shouted.

"Take your hands off me." Natalie yanked her arm from Aurelia's grip. "If you hadn't lost your temper, I would have my sister and you would have your precious Otho." Natalie stepped over the broken chair and marched across the fallen door. She crouched next to Corinne, sweeping the bloodied hair from her face.

"She's your mother?" Emil approached her.

"She gave birth to me." Natalie stood. "Nothing more." She nodded to one man standing guard at the entrance. "We'll take them all with us."

"Your sister and Otho are gone," Emil said. "There's no need to keep this much company. You know how hard it is for us to resist." He nodded toward Daspar, then Vita.

Natalie placed her hand on his chest. "I need them. I will help you resist." She glanced up, and they held each other's stare for a long moment.

Tage couldn't believe what she was seeing. How did Emil keep from tearing her soul right out of her body?

His hand brushed Natalie's cheek. "I can't make any promises."

Tage's skin flushed hot; her pulse raced. "I'd rather die than go with you!"

Natalie's soft smile twisted and her eyes took on a gleam of excitement. "So eager to die. Is that what Daspar taught you?" She huffed. "Did you buy into his self-sacrificing crap, Tage Summerfield?"

Tage pressed Daspar's chest; his faint pulse wavered. How did Natalie know who she was? Daspar safeguarded her identity. He'd sworn...

"I know all about you. Daspar trained you well, but I learned every one of his spells; every spell from Pura's siren soul. Look how good Vita looks now because of Pura." She nodded toward Vita, who turned away, letting her hair fall over her face. "When Daspar wakes, if he wakes, he'll be nothing more than a human, which is what he should have been all along."

Natalie stepped beside Tage and Ezra, and when Ezra lunged, she shoved him back with the heel of her boot. At once, Emil nocked an arrow. When Natalie raised her hand, he held off shooting, but he kept the arrow drawn.

Why were they listening to her? Tage slid away from Daspar, careful not to make any sudden moves.

When Natalie poked Daspar's chest, Tage picked up the distinct emotion of pleasure. "You're sick." Tage clenched her jaw. "He took care of you."

Natalie laughed under her breath. "You don't know anything." She spun the ring on Daspar's finger, releasing the red gem. "He didn't deserve the knowledge."

"Leave him alone." Tage reached out but dropped her hand when Emil exhaled a heavy breath. Natalie had no right to touch him. No right to take his ring.

"You're blind." Natalie slid the ring on her thumb. Her eyes gleamed with the fiery gem's reflection. "But I will make you see."

* * *

Two black SUVs waited like palace guards outside the hotel entrance. As soon as Emil stepped into the lobby, another man wearing heavy combat gear exited the vehicle and opened the door. Tage recognized the raised, welted cross of the Hunter's mark branded into the side of his neck. She quickly scanned Natalie for signs of a cross but found nothing to prove she wasn't acting of her own accord. None of it made sense.

"As if they need security," Ezra whispered.

Emil nodded toward the second vehicle but kept his dark gaze on Natalie. "It's best if you stay with the sirens." His hand slid to her hip. "I'll ride in the first vehicle with my sisters. You understand, of course."

"Of course." A soft smile played on her lips. Emil bit back his own, pausing for a moment before stepping away from her.

"This can still work," she said at his back, but he didn't turn as he left the lobby.

Tage was puzzled. What could Natalie offer them, other than her soul? Tage wasn't able to put a connection together.

When Vita strutted into the lobby, the concierge dropped his phone. The little dog of the woman he was assisting broke out in a song of snappy yelps.

Vita snarled, and the woman scooped her dog up in her arms. 

"We're drawing attention. We need to leave." Vita ushered them outside.

"They're more concerned about the fires than us." Natalie glanced back. "Where's Aurelia?"

"She had to use the lady's room. You better hope she doesn't spend too much time in front of the mirror. It's unfortunate Otho wasn't recovered. She will be inconsolable."

"He's not lost." Natalie's voice was steady, but Tage felt her fear grow like a weed in an untended garden the moment Dax disappeared through the portal with Otho's soul. Tage smiled inside; fear led to doubt and that might just give her the advantage she so desperately needed.

"I trust you have a plan." Vita's cool gaze slipped over Tage and then Ezra. Her fingers twitched by her sides.

"Of course." Natalie's smile was tight, her stare unwavering.

"Good." Vita nodded, then joined Emil in the SUV.

"Trouble in paradise?" Ezra said to Natalie. 

Tage shot him an alarmed glare. If ever there was a time Ezra needed to keep his mouth shut... She yanked him back, being careful not to touch his wound. His smart-ass comments would get them killed.

"Aren't you the cheeky one?" Natalie slid around him like a serpent eyeing a rat. "I'm not sure Halen would miss you too much. And Aurelia is looking more like Vita's grandmother than her sister."

"Ezra's your cousin," Tage blurted. "On the Elosian side, of course."

"My what?" Natalie scoffed.

"Halen will be furious if you kill her family. You don't want to see her angry."

"Mother Nature can kick some ass," Ezra added.

"Mother Nature? Is that what you call her? Does she sing to woodland creatures too?"

"No." Tage's eyebrow quirked up on one side.

"She's more like the storm you won't see coming."

The glass doors slid open and the two men exited; one with Corinne in his arms and the other with Daspar.

Tage ran to his side. Daspar's eyes remained closed, his head lolled to the side.

"Back away," the guard said.

"Let her help," Natalie said. "He's half dead, anyway. If the Hunters can't control themselves and end up killing you two, at least we have two left for Halen to rescue. That is what she does, right? Comes to the rescue. Because she sure doesn't know how to kill anyone."

A rumble rolled in the distance. Tage tilted her head toward the sky, half expecting another fire ring to douse them in flames.

"Get in." Natalie pushed her forward.

As the two men loaded Corinne and Daspar into the second SUV, Tage glanced down the sidewalk. She was fast on her feet, and so was Ezra, but she couldn't just leave Daspar and Corinne. As much as her instincts urged her to run, she hopped in the truck.

Ezra scooted in next to her. "Halen's cousin?" he whispered.

"Hey, you are family now. Natalie doesn't have any, remember? I may have saved your life."

"I don't think she cares much about family." Ezra nodded toward Corinne.

Tage leaned across, listening to Corinne's faint heartbeat. She blew with a soft breath, whispering, "Jalayle." It wasn't much of a spell, but hopefully, it kept her breathing until she could come up with something better. She strapped in Corinne and then attended to Daspar. She yanked a fistful of her hair and stuffed it in his wound. Tage barely finished the spell before Natalie slid into the back seat.

"I don't know why you bother. He would be the first to let you bleed to death." She folded her hands neatly in her lap. 

Tage retreated to her seat. "You shouldn't be so ungrateful. He taught you everything."

"Not everything." She wriggled her fingers, the tips stained from casting dark magick. 

"That kind of magick comes with a price."

Natalie's gaze narrowed. "I'm sure you're not without sin."

When the ignition started, long cylinders of neon lighting lining the roof faded from green to blue and then to red.

"Discreet," Tage said between gritted teeth.

Natalie shrugged. "You could ride in the first truck. I'm sure it's very cozy with the Hunters."

She would love to cast a spell and knock that placid grin off Natalie's smug face. "Gee, thanks." Tage folded her arms across her chest. A fire engine roared past, its sirens wailing. "We won't get far, you know. They barricaded the entire city."

"Traveling with the Hunters has its advantages. Money gets you places, and after hundreds of years, their bank account is... limitless."

"You were raised Tari." Tage balled her hands into fists.

"Tari," Natalie huffed. 

"What are you up to?" Tage's gaze narrowed.

"We have a mutual desire." Natalie admired Daspar's ring. "The Hunters need me and having them around keeps meddling sirens like you two out of my way."

"How dare you!" Tage's voice rose. Ezra grasped her knee. She inhaled a deep breath and exhaled. "We protected Halen, so she could do the job you didn't have the guts to finish."

"Is that what you think? That I was weak?" Natalie scoffed.

"Why else would you run?"

Natalie rubbed the bloodstains on her pants. "I don't need to explain myself to you."

Heat flared along Tage's neck and up to her cheeks. "Oh, yes, you do. My parents were Tari. They died for the cause. When Daspar thought you were dead, my life got turned upside down."

Natalie leaned forward, propping her elbows on her knees.

Her rage shot through Tage. She clutched her fists against her rolling stomach, wishing she wasn't an empath.

"Poor you. You had to be Halen's babysitter. That must have sucked. I hear she's a real drag."

Tage bolted forward, her chest tight against the restraint of the seatbelt. "She's stronger than you."

"I hope so." Her long, thin eyebrows arched.

Her response caught Tage off guard. "Why? What do you want from Halen?"

Natalie slumped back in the seat and smiled.

"That's a secret best kept between sisters."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.5K 1.8K 28
A mysterious castaway. A Scottish hero determined to protect her. Can they survive the storm? Cast adrift on the Indian Ocean, Maria carries a terrib...
6.3K 1K 33
The ocean can be gentle, lulling one into a false sense of security. But the waters are never calm in the Bermuda triangle, and when the waves pick u...
16.4K 1.1K 22
Sylvia Okenji expected her final year of school to go like any other; surviving her classes, making memories with her friends, and not ripping her ta...
233 44 40
Three girls, two boys, and the rest of the world. This ferocious five is not your average group of teens. They all have a special secret that makes t...