Smokescreen 》Alec Lightwood

By UpInFlames_

Smokescreen: noun 》 A ruse to disguise someone's real intentions or activities. Highest Rank - #213 in Fanfic... More

Prologue
1.
2
3
4
5.
6
7
8
9
10
11.
12
A/N
13
14
15
BONUS
16
17
18
19
20
21
Playlist
22
IMPORTANT
23
24
25
27
28
29
30
31
32
L O V E A N D W A R

26

16.7K 624 521
By UpInFlames_

A/N *NOT EDITED*
SIDE NOTE - Follow me for updates on smokescreen! :)
3+ Votes & Comments for next chapter! (I hope this one is okay!) 

*****

One Year Ago...

'Adelaide!'

Adelaide turned at the sound of her name being called, glancing up. 'What can I do for you Alexander?'

Adelaide watched in amusement as Alec's face crumpled in distaste at the use of his full name. 'We've got a mission. Nothing crazy, just a few low level demons, I could use your help.'

Adelaide glanced back down at the tablet in her hands, ignoring the small burst of fear that formed in her chest. 'Are Jace and Isabelle going?'

Alec looked confused, but his words came out tinged with suspicion. 'Yeah, I think so, why?'

'Then you won't miss me if I don't go.' Adelaide refused to meet Alec's gaze, feeling his eyes burning a hole in her skull.

Alec sighed. 'C'mon Adelaide, I want you there - I need you there.'

'I thought you said they were low-level demons? Troublemakers?' Adelaide shot back gently.

'They are but-'

'Then you don't need me there, Alec.'

Alec's frown deepened as he sat beside her at the conference table in the middle of the institute. 'Alright, what's wrong?'

'Nothing.'

'Don't lie to me Addy. I know you and you aren't yourself.'

'Maybe I just don't want to fight anything today.' Adelaide shrugged carelessly.

Alec sighed impatiently. 'Or yesterday, or the day before or last week – Adelaide you haven't been on an assignments in over a month.'

'I'm better being here.' Adelaide's voice was tight. He was right; she hadn't been out in the field since she'd arrived back from Idris two days ahead of schedule. She just hadn't expected Alec to be the one to catch on to it and be the one to confront her.

'Adelaide-'

'No.'

Alec sighed angrily as he stood up, going to leave when Adelaide's hand shot out, catching his wrist. 'Don't be mad at me, please Alec.'

Alec took one look at her face, noticing the tired droop of her eyes and the worry that seemed to be permanently etched there and his anger faded, his expression crumbling into resignation as he gripped her arm, pulling her up. Alec wrapped his arm around her in a gentle hug. 'You can talk to me you know. About anything.' He mumbled into her hair.

Adelaide relaxed into the embrace, nodding. 'I know Alec.'

Alec released her, shooting her a smile as he headed towards the main hall where Isabelle and Jace were no doubt waiting impatiently for him.

'Hey Alec?'

Alec stopped, giving Adelaide a questioning glance.

'There's a load of my new arrows runed and ready to go in the armoury. Use them if you want.'

Alec nodded, a smirk forming on his lips. 'Why do you always make them? You hardly ever shoot.'

Adelaide laughed lightly. 'I don't, but you do, and Raziel knows that my arrows are always better than yours.' She smirked.

Alec shook his head in amusement. 'That might be true, but I'm still the better shot.'

'Hey now, I'm not arguing with that.' Adelaide raised her hands in mock surrender before she dropped them, the worried expression creeping back onto her face. 'Shoot straight Alexander.'

Alec rolled his eyes as he saluted her. 'Yes Ma'am.'

*****

Present Day...

Clary knocked lightly on Lydia's office doorframe, waiting until Lydia ushered her in.

'Your dress is stunning.' Clary smiled politely at Lydia who smiled back at her.

'Thank you. I feel more nervous wearing that dress than I ever have on the battlefield.' Lydia sounded nervous.

'I think that's pretty normal.' Clary hesitated slightly, nerves twisting her insides. 'Lydia, I need to talk to you about something.'

Lydia looked confused as she leant against her desk. 'What is it?'

'Valentine sent a shax demon to track us on our mission today.' Clary admitted, vaguely noting the alarmed look on Lydia's face. 'It killed Ragnor Fell.'

'By the angel...' Lydia breathed, horror evident in her tone.

'Only a few people here at the institute even knew we were going on the mission. You over heard us this morning, and then we were attacked.'

Lydia looked insulted. 'If I were working for Valentine don't you think I would have already given him the mortal cup?'

Clary felt her stomach drop. She hadn't considered that detail.

'I don't believe this.' Lydia muttered incredulously. 'Fellow shadowhunters accusing me of high treason.'

'Lydia, I'm not accusing you of anything-' Clary backpedalled.

'Of course you are.' Lydia snapped. 'Unless you have hard evidence to back your claims I believe this conversations over.' Lydia gestured toward the door and Clary knew she was being told to leave, but she pushed on anyway.

'Fine, but know this. These people have become like family to me. And I protect my family.'

'I care about them too. Why else would I be marrying Alec?' Lydia asked in mock confusion.

'How well do you actually know him?' Clary frowned at the blonde.

'You're talking about Alec's feelings for Adelaide.' Lydia quickly realised. At Clary's look she added. 'I'm not blind.' Lydia shook her head, a sad smile twisting her features.

'If you're not in love with Alec then why are you going through with this marriage?' Clary asked in surprise.

'Alec's love for his family and his desire to restore the Lightwood name has touched me in ways that I haven't felt in a very long time. Alec is a man of honour and I truly care about him.' Lydia admitted. She had turned away, not wishing to explain herself to the redhead anymore.

'And what about Adelaide? I thought she was your friend.' Clary crossed her arms, her tone accusatory.

'She is my friend.' Lydia corrected, turning to face Clary again. 'But she made her choice, and Alec has made his, and so have I.'

'But Alec-'

'Alec proposed to me.' Lydia reminded Clary gently. 'For whatever reason, this is what he wants.'

*****

Adelaide had left Magnus at his request, knowing that the warlock needed time to be alone.

Adelaide watched warily as Isabelle guided a blindfolded Alec around the institute, gesturing wildly for Adelaide to follow her and keep quiet.

'Izzy.' Alec complained.

'Be quiet big brother.'

Adelaide followed the two cautiously, stifling laughter as Alec stumbled slightly when Isabelle forced Alec down a flight of stairs.

'Ready, a couple more steps, almost there.' Isabelle commented, a smirk on her lips.

'Alright Izzy.' Alec sounded impatient.

'You trust me don't you?' Isabelle grinned though Alec couldn't see it.

'No, not really.' Adelaide shoved her hand against her mouth to stifle her giggles at Alec's reply.

'I told you I don't need a bachelor party.' Alec sighed.

'You need this one.' Isabelle assured her brother. 'Now count to five and take the blindfold off.'

'Really Izzy?'

Isabelle snuck away from Alec, grabbing Adelaide by the hand as the two ran back up the stairs, leaving Alec alone.

*****

'I don't know how things got so messed up between us, but I do know my life has been a lot harder not having you to talk to.'

Alec glanced away from Jace as his parabatai admitted how he'd been feeling. Alec knew he'd been the one to weaken their bond, causing a rift in their friendship, but he couldn't help but feel like Jace was at fault too.

Alec simply shrugged. 'Mine too.'

'I know it seems like I've been making a lot of crazy choices lately, and I know you think that I was only thinking about myself and Clary, that I wasn't thinking about the consequences to anyone else.' Jace sighed. 'All I can say is, I've been going through a lot. But I only ever did what I thought was right, Alec. But I never wanted to hurt you. I'm sorry.' Jace frowned at his parabatai, needing him now more than ever.

Alec sighed, his tense posture relaxing. 'I know. We just – got caught in all this drama.'

Jace laughed. 'Yeah, I mean – you're getting married tomorrow.'

'And Clary's your sister. Now what's up with that?'

'Yeah no, uh, don't even get me started on that.'

Alec laughed slightly as he followed Jace towards a chaise lounge, settling beside him as the two talked properly for what felt like the first time in a long time.

'I kissed her.' Jace sounded disgusted in himself. 'What's worse – I wanted her.' Jace frowned, looking away from Alec. 'I was falling in love.' He admitted quietly. 'I must be sick or something, I don't know.'

Alec recalled the similar words he'd spoken to Adelaide when he'd admitted his growing confusion over his own sexuality. It felt like a lifetime ago.

'No. Nah. You're not sick. The situations just – confusing.'

Jace looked at Alec.

'Trust me, I know.' Alec shook his head. 'You know, it's like, you have this plan for your life right, and you know what you need to do and what your responsibilities are and you think, you know, If you follow the rules, everything's gonna be fine. Then somebody comes along, and pushes you off that path. You just-'

Alec was sounding more and more distressed as he spoke and Jace watched curiously as Alec tugged at the roots of his hair lightly.

'Hey, I get it.' Jace nodded at his parabatai.

'Point is we're shadowhunters. Emotions get in the way. And if you get knocked off the path, you have to focus and find your way back.'

'You still have to be true to yourself.' Jace added quietly, looking at Alec pointedly.

'I am. I'm fulfilling my duty.'

Jace nodded, not missing the way Alec seemed to be having trouble believing his own words.

'Look, will you be my suggenes and give me away tomorrow?' Alec asked somewhat awkwardly.

'Alec, if this is what you really want, I'd be honoured. I'm always gonna be here for you.' Jace grinned.

'Me too.'

Alec held out his hand and Jace grasped it tightly.

*****

Adelaide found herself lounging across Isabelle's bed while the shorter girl pulled various articles of clothing out of her overly large closet.

'Remind me what you're doing again?' Adelaide asked as she watched Isabelle scrunch up her face as she tossed a dress in a rather frightening shade of pink onto the floor.

'Looking for a dress.'

'Why?' Adelaide frowned, gesturing at the neatly pressed dress hung up on the opposite side of the room. 'I thought you were wearing that?'

'I am.' Isabelle confirmed.

'Then what are you doing?'

'Finding you something to wear because I know you, and I know you wouldn't have even thought about what to wear to the wedding.'

Adelaide groaned. 'Izzy no, I'm not a doll for you to dress up.'

'Oh c'mon Adelaide, we have to show my brother what he's missing.' Isabelle smirked.

'Don't start.' Adelaide's words were sharp.

'I'm just saying.' Isabelle defended herself.

Adelaide jumped off of Isabelle's bed with a sigh, making her way towards the door.

'Where are you going?' Isabelle asked quickly.

'I'll be back, I just have something to do.'

Isabelle must have seen something cross Adelaide's face because she simply nodded. 'I'll be here.'

Adelaide shut Isabelle's door quietly as she walked silently down the hall, stopping in front of the familiar polished wood door.

Adelaide turned the handle, smiling slightly when she noticed it was unlocked. Same old Alec.

Adelaide entered the room, noting the familiar objects that littered Alec's room. From where she stood she could see the messy blankets on the bed, the books stacked around the room, Alec's training gear was lying haphazardly across the bed directly above a stack of official looking papers on the floor.

Adelaide could see the small pictures adorning the room. Isabelle, Jace, Alec and even her own face stared back at her from the photographs, all in varying stages of amusement. But one thing really stood out to Adelaide and she felt a lump form in her throat at the sight of it.

Alec's gold suit jacket was hanging tauntingly on the wardrobe.

Adelaide quickly averted her eyes, making her way to Alec's bedside drawers. Her fingers tugged the cool silver pendant out of her jeans pocket, running over the cool surface.

Adelaide simply placed Alec's gift on the top of the drawers, leaving the room hastily.

*****

Adelaide was just reaching to open Isabelle's door when it flew open and the brunette in question grabbed at her hands hurriedly.

'C'mon!'

'Iz? What's going on?'

Isabelle dragged Adelaide towards Jace and Alec who, for the first time in awhile, seemed completely comfortable being in each other's presence.

'Isabelle?' Jace frowned at the startled look on Adelaide's face.

Isabelle let go of Adelaide, directing her words to Alec. 'Our parents will be here any minute.'

Adelaide felt her eyes widen, her gaze meeting Jace's.

'Oh, I should uh-'

Isabelle shook her head firmly at Adelaide. 'No. You're staying. You and Jace are a part of this family whether you like it or not.' She huffed, crossing her arms.

Adelaide sighed. 'Where's Clary?'

Isabelle shrugged. 'I'm pretty sure she went to see Simon.'

Adelaide heard voices coming towards them and she tensed. Alec noticed as he tapped her arm lightly. 'It'll be fine.'

Adelaide nodded stiffly at him, hoping he was right as she glanced at Jace, who seemed perfectly at ease.

'Welcome home!' Isabelle smiled at her parents.

'Thank you Isabelle.' Robert smiled at his daughter, his eyes shifting to Maryse uncomfortably as she stood stiffly by his side.

Robert's eyes fell on Adelaide and he nodded at her, a small smile gracing his face. 'Hello Adelaide.'

'Welcome back.' Adelaide forced a smile.

'Hello Mother.' Alec embraced his mother and after a slight hesitation she responded.

'Hello Alec.'

Adelaide's heart lurched as Maryse looked at her coldly over Alec's shoulder. Adelaide swallowed and as Alec began questioning his parents, she slipped away quietly, melting into the shadows.

*****

'Why'd you leave?'

Adelaide turned at the sound of Alec's voice echoing through the training room where she had gone to seek refuge from the icy glances the woman who raised her was shooting at her.

'Wasn't really feeling the whole reunion thing.' Adelaide shrugged as Alec stopped in front of her.

Alec frowned. 'Why not?'

'It's just weird. I don't know.' Adelaide shook her head as she glanced up at Alec who nodded in understanding.

'Hey, uh-' Alec rubbed at the back of his neck awkwardly. 'I just uh, I mean are you – will you be here tomorrow?'

Adelaide frowned up at Alec. 'Do you want me here?' She raised an eyebrow.

'Of course! I mean, yeah if you want to.' Alec shrugged.

Adelaide smiled gently. 'Do you really think it's a good idea? Me being here?'

Alec frowned. 'Why wouldn't it be?'

'There will be clave officials here Alec, I'm under investigation, I'm Valentine's daughter – I just don't want to drag your name through the dirt.' Adelaide admitted with a frown of her own.

Alec was shaking his head before she finished speaking. 'Adelaide, listen to me. I want you here, okay? Please.'

Adelaide hesitated briefly before she nodded. 'As if Isabelle would let me miss it.' She rolled her eyes playfully, her smile not quite reaching her eyes.

Alec laughed. 'You've got a point there.'

Adelaide felt a lump form in her throat and her eyes mist over as she stared at the happy expression on Alec's face before she rushed at him, wrapping her arms tightly around him, hugging him to her as she committed everything about him to memory.

By this time tomorrow, Alec would be someone else's.

*****

Alec closed his bedroom door behind him, breathing out a sigh of relief.

His mother hadn't stopped talking about the wedding since she'd dragged him away from everyone else not even five minutes after she had arrived and he hadn't had a moment alone since, save for the quick exchange he'd shared with Adelaide.

Maryse had questioned everything from the guest list to the music to the menu, decorations and colour scheme. It was exhausting and half of what she asked, Alec couldn't answer because truthfully both he and Lydia had left wedding planning up to Isabelle.

Alec sat heavily onto his bed, pulling off his boots and shirt, relaxing into the familiar bedding as sleep clouded his mind.

Alec rolled over to turn the light off when something stopped him.

There was a strange metallic glint coming from his drawers and as Alec moved closer, his heart rate picked up, a sad smile twisting his lips as he picked up the pendant he hadn't noticed before.

'Adelaide.' He breathed quietly into the silent room.

The pendant was flat and triangle shaped, carved into a traditional arrowhead.

Shoot straight.

Alec could remember Adelaide telling him those exact words countless times throughout the years and each time he'd responded by pointing out how good he was with a bow. It seemed as though Adelaide remembered the teasing also, leaving him with a physical representation of their friendship.

From where he was laying Alec could almost see the outline of the clothing he would wear in less than twenty-four hours as he made Lydia Branwell his wife. Alec felt a lump form in his throat and his eyes burn as he stared at the arrowhead in his hands, suddenly feeling wide awake as his own emotions crashed over him in a tidal wave, threatening to drown him entirely.

*****

Adelaide was lying across Magnus' couch while the warlock flicked through one of Ragnor Fell's books.

After Maryse's had appeared in the training room, looking for Alec, Adelaide had quickly excused herself by rushing off, making her way back to Magnus.

What are you wearing tomorrow?

Adelaide rolled her eyes good-naturedly at Isabelle's predictable text as her fingers flew across the screen of her own phone, typing a reply. Sorting it out, don't worry.

Not even a minute later her phone buzzed again. Okay! :) xo

'Anything important?' Magnus questioned as he dropped the book he was reading onto the floor in annoyance.

Adelaide shook her head. 'Just Isabelle being Isabelle.'

'Did she find you something to wear?' Magnus raised an eyebrow at her.

'Of course she did.' Adelaide rolled her eyes as the lie slipped out easily. 'It's Isabelle.'

Magnus laughed. 'Fair point there, sunshine.'

Magnus stood up and stretched. 'It's late; you should be going to bed. We have a wedding to attend tomorrow.'

To Magnus' disappointment, Adelaide's expression didn't change. 'Good idea.'

Magnus watched her disappear into her bedroom with narrowed eyes.

*****

Adelaide woke up late the next afternoon after finally having fallen asleep long after the sun began to rise again.

'Adelaide! We have to leave! I have errands to run before we arrive at the institute! I've let you stay in there all day as it is sunshine!'

Magnus was yelling outside her door and Adelaide mentally cursed. 'I'll meet you there! I still have to do my hair! Isabelle has my dress. You go.'

Adelaide heard Magnus' tone change into one of suspicion as he answered her. 'Are you lying to me Adelaide Morgenstern?'

'No!' Adelaide answered quickly. 'I just need to get ready in my own time, wrap my head around everything. Please, Magnus.'

Adelaide heard Magnus sigh and he sounded almost reluctant as he spoke. 'Alright sunshine, I'll reserve us seats.'

'See you later!' Adelaide called as her phone buzzed beside her.

Where are you? Don't forget your dress! Xo

Be there soon, with Magnus, I'm running a little late.

Adelaide was trying to buy herself time, trying to swallow back the crushing sadness that threatened to settle over her as she thought of Alec marrying Lydia.

It wasn't even that it was Lydia that Alec was marrying that made her feel slightly nauseous. Adelaide liked Lydia, she trusted Lydia. She knew the blonde would take care of her best friend better than anyone else could. But the jealousy rose up no matter how hard Adelaide tried to quash it.

Adelaide forced herself out of bed, running a hairbrush through her dark waves as she pulled her jeans on after pulling a plain black shirt over her head, trying to fight off the burn of tears behind her eyelids.

*****

Magnus had arrived at the institute later than he'd hoped, he'd had a few errands to run first and they'd taken up far too much time. His eyes took in the flower trails and the sparkling gold that seemed to shimmer everywhere he looked.

'Thank the angel you're here! I thought-'

Magnus raised an eyebrow at Isabelle as the brunette came running towards him, watching as her expression faltered. 'Where's Adelaide?'

Magnus looked at her in surprise. 'She's meeting me here.'

'No,' Isabelle said slowly, a frown gracing her features. 'She told me she was coming with you.'

'Why would she be with me? She was getting ready here, you have her dress.'

Isabelle was shaking her head, a panicked expression crossing her face. 'No, Magnus she told me she'd taken care of the dress herself.' Crushing realisation hit Isabelle. 'She lied to both of us.'

Magnus sighed. 'I'll go and get her.'

'No.' Isabelle tugged on his sleeve. 'You can't. There's wards around the building from the outside, you can't use magic while your in here.'

'Then I'll leave.' Magnus rolled his eyes.

'No Magnus, you don't understand, the clave is restricting the use of magic here incase Valentine tries anything with his warlocks.' Isabelle admitted. 'You can't leave until they let you.'

Magnus' eyes flashed dangerously as Isabelle frowned.

'Hopefully she gets here soon, I have to go, and we're starting.'

'I'll wait for her as long as I can.' Magnus had pulled out his phone, dialling Adelaide's number even as he spoke.

Isabelle nodded as she walked away, trying to swallow the feeling that everything was about to go wrong.

*****

'I'm glad you're here with me.' Alec admitted as he and Jace stood at the front of the room, Alec shooting nervous glances as people filed into the room. His mother was beaming from the front row.

'Wouldn't be anywhere else.' Jace reassured Alec with a smile.

'Have you seen Adelaide?' Alec questioned, his nerves evident in his voice.

'No, I haven't.' Jace admitted and at Alec's expression he added, 'She'll be here Alec.'

Alec nodded as she took his place, fiddling with his sleeves, feeling the arrowhead digging into his skin in the pocket of his dress trousers. A constant reminder of the girl his eyes unconsciously continued to seek out even as the room continued to fill.

Alec's heart jumped as the silent brother addressed the room, his voice echoing inside Alec's skull at an alarming volume. 'Attention, the ceremony is about to commence.'

Isabelle was the first to enter the room, looking stunning in a dark gold toned dress as she walked towards her brother, purposefully not meeting his eyes though her smile remained pleasant as she stood in place.

Lydia appeared next, looking breathtaking in her dress, the dark red flowers contrasting against the shimmering gold. She looked beautiful, Alec noted, breathtaking and utterly radiant. Any man would be lucky to be marrying someone half as amazing as Lydia Branwell and yet Alec himself didn't feel very lucky at all.

Even so, Alec smiled at Lydia, who he had come to call his friend, as she walked towards him, a smile lighting up her pretty features.

Alec reached out a hand and helped Lydia step into position by his side. Alec noticed Isabelle's eyes flicker between them almost sadly as she held out the gold band that Lydia placed around his wrist.

Alec reached behind him and took Lydia's necklace from Jace, clasping it around her neck gently as she turned to face him again. Even as they turned to the silent brother, Alec couldn't help but look for the familiar brunette in the sea of faces.

'It is time for Alec Lightwood and Lydia Branwell to mark each other with the wedded union rune. A rune on the hand, a rune on the heart – a union is born.'

Alec swallowed nervously as Lydia reached for the stele.

The tip of the stele had just touched Alec's skin when a door opened and Magnus appeared at the end of the aisle. She came - She's here. Relief coloured Alec's face for a second.

Jace watched the hope spark and die in both Alec and Isabelle's expressions as Magnus appeared – alone.

Alec sent a questioning look to Magnus, his heart dropping as Magnus gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head.

She wasn't coming.

Alec swallowed thickly.

'Izzy, what's going on?' Jace whispered to Isabelle.

'She's not here. Adelaide's not here, Jace.' Isabelle sounded disappointed.

'You gonna be okay buddy?' Jace asked Alec as Magnus appeared beside Jace silently, ignoring the quiet whispers from the guests.

Alec was finding it difficult to breathe.

'Alec?' Lydia asked, her smile still in place. 'Hey.'

'I-' Alec sucked in a sharp breath. 'I can't breathe.'

'Hey, it's okay.' Lydia smiled as she gripped Alec's hands.

'I-' Alec gasped.

'Alec, it's okay. It's gonna be okay, you can do this.' Lydia smiled gently at Alec as he slowly forced his breathing to even out.

Magnus leant forward slightly.

Alec nodded, swallowing thickly as he spoke to Lydia. 'You're right. I can do this, everything will be fine.'

*****

Alec was married.

Lydia Branwell had become Lydia Lightwood.

And Adelaide Morgenstern was nowhere to be seen.

Adelaide had fought with herself over going to Alec's wedding, but she knew being there, seeing him with Lydia and watching him walk away, would be too much. She wished she had said something to him, or at least told him how much she cared about him before he'd married someone else.

But at the same time, she refused to have any sort of say in Alec's decisions. She wanted Alec to be happy, to be safe and if that meant being with Lydia, then so be it. Adelaide would put everyone else's happiness before her own and she hoped that one day Alec would understand why she had done everything she had.

Alec needed stability, a chance to fix the Lightwood name.

Being associated with a Morgenstern wouldn't do that. Being associated with Lydia would.

Adelaide watched the clock on the wall tick as time passed. Magnus had given up calling her an hour ago and now she was simply waiting for him to arrive and yell at her for not showing up at the institute.

Adelaide moved so she was standing by the open window, the moonlight streaming in, bathing her face in a pale milky glow.

Adelaide didn't turn as she finally heard Magnus arrive. She tensed in the silence knowing that he was waiting for an explanation, a reason as to why she'd lied to him, to Isabelle and to Alec.

After a nervous minute of silence Adelaide sighed, staring at the moon as she spoke, unable to keep the tremor out of her voice. 'I'm not going to apologise. I won't influence Alec's decisions. He has to do what he thinks is right.'

Silence was her answer.

Adelaide sighed heavily, rubbing her temples. 'Is he happy?'

More angry silence.

'I'm going to take that as a yes.' Adelaide laughed to herself as she bit her lip to stop it trembling violently. 'I just want him to be happy.' She breathed, closing her eyes briefly, fighting off the wave of grief that washed over her.

Adelaide let out a small shriek, eyes opening again as she was tugged backwards before being spun around, her eyes meeting familiar hazel ones. Her eyes widened in surprise.

'What-'

Adelaide was cut off as Alec's lips met her own, his arms winding around her waist, pulling her as close as physically possible, his fingers digging into her skin.

Alec was kissing her.

Adelaide felt the shock quickly wear off as her hands reached up and tangled in Alec's dark hair, tugging slightly eliciting a small groan as he continued to kiss her fervently.

Adelaide responded just as enthusiastically, pushing all her pent up emotions into the kiss, hoping Alec would understand what she was trying to say.

Alec did understand, and he hoped she could feel the way his heart was bashing against his chest, see the way his skin broke out into goose bumps as her fingers ran over his skin. A shudder ran through him as Adelaide let out a breathy sigh.

Alec pulled back slightly, his breathing laboured and shaky as he rested his forehead against hers. 'You didn't show up.' His voice was low.

'I couldn't.' Adelaide breathed, her heart thumping against her rib cage erratically. 'Alec, I-'

'You asked if I'm happy.' Alec breathed effectively cutting her off, tightening his grip on her, his hands still at her waist. Adelaide nodded at him as he looked at her through smouldering hazel eyes.

'I am now.'

And with those three words Alec pulled Adelaide to him as they got lost in each other over and over again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 35.9K 38
The clash of two worlds made of ice. Ivy is thrust into the world of Shadowhunters alongside wit her friend, Clary. In one night her world turns u...
134K 4.5K 47
some memories never leave your bones. like salt in the sea; they become part of you - and you carry them. + + + In which a stoic shadowhunter, a dem...
4.1K 108 6
A war has begun. Mayla Stonehart seems to be the key... and people are willing to kill to get what they want from her to win. Relationships, friends...
150K 3.2K 34
Clary Fairchild was to be protected by Mayla Stonehart. Years of hiding her true identity made Mayla live in fear every day and look over her shoulde...