Bullets & Bandages

By vanessapiccolo

I fell silent again. He was right. It was so stupid of me to not make sure she took the pill. It was simple... More

1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10

5

797 50 9
By vanessapiccolo

The car ride back to the city was quiet. I wasn't sure if Giovanni had intended to show me that much of his personal life, but I was glad he did. I loved his parents. I loved that they weren't afraid to show Gio that they loved him. I wondered if they knew he worked for Lorenzo or if they thought he was part of some legitimate business.

Giovanni's building was much newer than mine. It wasn't the tallest on Nob Hill, but it was the best positioned. I was sure there were some amazing views on the top floors.

The lobby was all marble floors and walls with glass and gold accents. Sculptures and paintings were placed throughout. I wasn't one for artwork, but I could tell it was probably expensive. A large fountain was the centerpiece. Off to the side I saw a security desk with three men behind it. One of them waved to Giovanni as we headed to the giant elevator. There was even an elevator attendant that selected Giovanni's floor.

I knew the place wasn't cheap. These were multi million dollar condos. I didn't know how the hell he could afford to live here and maybe it was better if I didn't. Maybe he was right on that front. As long as he wasn't killing or hurting people, I didn't know that I cared what he did.

We reached the top floor and left the elevator. He hadn't said much since we left Alameda, but that was Giovanni. Forever stoic.

He unlocked the front door and motioned me inside. I was instantly blown away by how stunning the views were. The entire back of the condo was giant floor to ceiling windows. To my left was a state of the art kitchen. All appliances were stainless steel and looked brand new.

"This is where you live?" I asked.

He tossed his keys in a bowl on the granite island. "Yes. Why?"

"This place is amazing."

He glanced around and nodded. "Thanks. Come on."

He led me upstairs and down a long hallway to a bedroom. The bedroom had the same floor to ceiling windows and featured a seating area near the colossal bed.

"Bathroom is through there. You can shower."

"I didn't bring any clothes," I reminded.

"Who said I wanted you dressed?"

I rolled my eyes, but couldn't stop the laugh that escaped my lips. He smirked and disappeared into the closet. I glanced around at the light colors he used to decorate. Tan and white seemed to be the focus. I expected him to be more partial to deep, dark colors because of his personality. There were all sorts of things he was surprising me with.

Giovanni came out with a pair of his mesh shorts and a large white t-shirt in hand. He had left his jacket off exposing the swell of his biceps and instantly turned my mind to a puddle. He just had a way of doing that. I had never been one to swoon over a man's body, but Gio was the whole package. He was handsome, had the perfect body, was amazing in bed, and I was starting to find personality traits I didn't know he was capable of possessing. I almost hated that he was revealing how great he was.

Mafia.

I had to remind myself that whatever he did to earn this impressive home was illegal. I could never tell my parents what he did and they would sure as hell ask. I wondered if he expected to meet my parents soon or if he even cared.

"What?" He asked.

I shook my head and turned to go into the bathroom. If I stood there a moment longer I was going to invite him in with me. Not that it would have been a bad thing, but I needed to actually get clean and get some sleep before doing anything physical.

His bathroom was just as amazing as the rest of his home. I didn't even have a name for the type of stone used, but it reminded me of a spa retreat. The shower was huge and I momentarily wondered what he thought of my apartment. It wasn't a dump by any means, but my apartment didn't look anything like this. God, I wondered how much he paid for this place.

"Hey, Gio," I called.

"Yeah?"

"Seriously, what am I supposed to do about clothes?"

He popped his head into the bathroom. "We can go by your place later if you want."

I nodded as I pulled my top off. "Okay."

"Are you trying to get me to shower with you?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world."

"Love the confidence."

I kicked off my socks and shoes and turned away from him. "Do what you want."

"You should be careful with those words, Aria."

I slid my pants down my legs. I could practically feel his eyes on me as I walked towards the giant shower. I was pretty sure a party of twelve could fit in the damn thing.

I was surprised to hear the door click shut. I turned to see the empty bathroom, confused by his actions. I had to wonder if I was in some sort of twilight zone situation. Giovanni completely flipped our relationship in under three days. It unsettled me to say the least. Since we started sleeping together, I knew he cared about me on some basic level, but his words and actions over the last few days left me wondering exactly how much he hid from me.

I finished my shower all too quickly and wrapped a thick towel around my body. I let my hair out of my loose bun and ran my fingers through the worst of the tangles.

Giovanni's clothes were far too big for me, but I was too tired to care. I tugged the drawstring of the shorts as much as I could though it didn't make much of a difference.

I left the bathroom with my scrubs and towel in hand. I expected Giovanni to be in the bedroom, but he was nowhere in sight. I dropped everything on the nearest chair and went looking for him.

"Gio?" I called out as I left the hallway and entered the living room.

My blood ran cold and I stopped dead in my tracks. Lorenzo and Ashley stood in the living room with Giovanni.

Had he set me up?

I swallowed the thick lump in my throat as Gio's dark eyes fell on me.

"Doctor," Lorenzo greeted curtly.

I forced myself across the wood plank tile floor to Giovanni's side. My palms were sweating and my entire body felt like it was floating.

Anxiety. I had to remind myself to reel it in. Ground myself. Somehow.

"You didn't do what I asked of you," Lorenzo stated.

"I gave her —-"

"You tried to convince her to leave me."

My eyes flashed to that stupid bitch.

"I gave her an option. I wasn't going to force feed her an abortion pill in the middle of a hospital."

I had no choice but to stand my ground. If he was going to kill me, he was going to kill me. No words or begging would change that.

"Your conscience can rest. She wasn't pregnant."

"So it was a test."

"I needed to know where your loyalties are."

"The only reason I come when you call is because of our arrangement. I don't want to be involved on any other level."

He raised an eyebrow towards Giovanni and let out a laugh.

"You're fucking my capo bastone. You don't get more involved than that."

Giovanni visibly tensed at Lorenzo's words. I didn't know what they meant, but I had every intention of prying their meaning from Giovanni.

"The only reason you're still breathing is because Giovanni requested it," Lorenzo said. Though his tone never changed, the way he examined me did. I didn't like it. At all. "Next time you go against me and it won't matter if you're spreading your legs for every member of my family. I'll make sure you get what's coming to you."

With that last threat, he and his bitch of a girlfriend left. I hated to admit how much Lorenzo terrified me. He didn't just make me feel uncomfortable; I truly feared him.

Giovanni didn't say anything. He locked the front door and faced me. He knew what I was going to ask. There was no way he thought I was going to brush it off.

"He came over here to tell me I'm dead if I fuck up again?"

"He wanted to make sure you got the message."

"Loud and clear," I muttered and folded my arms over my chest.

"Good. You can't mess up again, Aria. I won't let you."

"What did he call you?" I asked directly. I was done beating around the bush. He was going to tell me whether he liked it or not.

"Capo bastone. Underboss."

He didn't so much as flinch. I, however, was taken aback. He wasn't just some low level street thug or enforcer.

"I'm only involved in the legitimate businesses, but there are times that the two worlds clash which is what happened the night we met."

"Legitimate businesses?" I asked weakly.

"Night clubs, restaurants, pretty much mostly cash businesses. Lorenzo brought me here, put me through school and I received a masters in financial engineering."

"What?"

"He needed someone he trusts clean, well educated, and in power in case anything happens."

"You mean when something happens. And then what? You take over when Lorenzo goes to prison for life?"

"No. Without me in my position, the entire organization crumbles. Hundreds of people lose their jobs. This is a business, Aria."

I shook my head. I was torn. It was a relief to know he wasn't involved in anything criminal, but I didn't realize Lorenzo pretty much handed him the good life on a silver platter. I hadn't realized how deep Giovanni's loyalty to Lorenzo ran. In that moment, I realized being with Giovanni meant being with the mafia. He was never going to be done with Lorenzo. Ever.

And I had a decision to make.

I liked Giovanni. A lot, but I couldn't risk my entire career and life for a man that I just liked.

"You say you're not involved in the criminal side of things, but clearly you are associated. I've stitched you up on more than one occasion."

"Like I said, from time to time it happens."

I shook my head. "How can you expect me to be okay with this?"

"You were fine before you knew," he challenged.

"Because I thought you had a way out before!"

"I fucking knew it," he seethed. "I knew you couldn't just accept who I am."

I let out an exasperated laugh. "You can't be serious. Think about what you're asking me. I'm a doctor, Gio. If you get arrested, I get investigated and lose my fucking license."

"I'm not gonna beg, Aria. If you want to end things, fine."

"Fine. Take me home then."

I whipped around and walked swiftly back to the bedroom and grabbed my shoes. When I went back to the living room, Giovanni was waiting by the front door with his keys in hand.

My stomach sank at the thought of ending things with him but I had to. I couldn't be involved with the mafia longer than required. Anger seeped in at my brother. If he had never dragged me into this mess, I wouldn't have to suffer the heartache of losing Giovanni.

I followed him out of the building and to his car. The drive to my apartment was short and awkwardly silent. I didn't know what to say to him. I found myself wanting to be with Giovanni, but I couldn't. There was no future there and I was getting to the point in my life that I needed to think about the future.

I hated that Giovanni was involved with the mafia on such a deep level. There was no way out for him and I wasn't going in. There was no way to make it work and it was time I accepted that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 4.2K 59
||C O M P L E T E D|| || A Mafia generic story, in addition with new aspects and divergence|| ||Slow editing|| ~*~ "I am...
958K 3.8K 8
**** Mature content**** "You wanna know why I'm angry?" He said in between the kisses. "Because of you" He said as he continued and my body tensed a...
623K 14.7K 30
Valentina Devlin, known to be difficult and an insanely hard-to-get. From day one, she's only had two things on her mind. Getting recognition from he...
425K 10.1K 25
"You insulted my cรดck, Mia. Yes?" Heat engulfed my body, setting my blood to boil. I'd never been handled so roughly, but it turned me on more than...