Lumos

By draninator

Elvira Steele was a late-bloomer. Her parents were worried she'd be the first squib in their Pureblood herita... More

1| Chocolate Frogs
2| Venomous Tentacula
3| Polyjuice Potion
4| Half-Blooded
5| Slug Club
6| Felix Felicis
7| Christmas Party
8| Finite
9| Butterbeer
10| Markings
11| Harmonia Nectere
12| Vanishing Cabinet
13| Cold Steele
14| Wheezing Wizards
15| Borgin and Burkes
16| Blue Spells
17| It's Dark Inside
18| Hidden Reasons
19| The Blond Boy
20| Chaos and Destruction
21| Malfoy's Manor
22| Obliviate
23| Useless Prophecies
24| The Leaky Cauldron
25| New Skin
26| Breathe
27| The Dursleys
28| Silver Heirloom
29| Veritaserum Vials
30| Seven Potters
31| Weaslove
32| The Missing Sword
33| Happy Days
34| 12 Grimmauld Place
35| Scars and Dark Marks
36| Night Shopping
37| Creeping Kreachers
39| Knockturn Alley
40| Legilemens
41| Yule Ball
42 | Occlumency
43 | The Ministry
44 | Occamy
45 | The Locket
46 | Professors and Nonexistent Plans
47 | The Signal
48 | Cruciatus Curse
49 | The Return to Hogwarts
50 | The House Elf
51 | Grindelwald

38| Floo Powder

389 22 1
By draninator

Kreacher had completely disappeared.

He didn't return the next day, or the day after, or the day after that. In fact, it had been almost
a week, and we were still stuck in here with no word from him-or anyone, for that matter.

"D'you reckon he disappeared?" Ron asked, laying on the sofa, legs bent to give Hermione space who sat on the other end, book in hand.

"He was left as a part of Harry's inheritance. He can't just leave. Maybe Mundungus hid himself really well," Hermione shrugged without raising her eyes from the book.

Ron draped his arm over his eyes. "All we've been doing is sleeping and eating, and we're out of food. We have no leads on anything."

"Do you want me to make a run outside?" I suggested, and Hermione shook her head.

"It's not safe. I don't think you should go."

"There are spells for conjuring food," Harry piped up from another room. "I just don't want any of us to do it because . . . well . . . we'd probably die if Ron tried to create food out of nothing."

"I would be offended, but where's the lie?" Ron said gruffly.

"Well?" I turned to Hermione. "Would you like to give it a go?"

"Only Dumbledore conjured food from air. I'm not that skilled," Hermione said, closing the book and looking up at me. "Do you want to try?"

"I'm sure none of you are going to be the taste-testers if I try it," I raised my eyebrows.

"We can feed it to one of the rats in Sirius's room," Harry suggested and I snorted.

"Alright," I said, clearing my throat. "I'll try." I raised my wand. "Aquamenti." The glass in front of me filled with water.

"That's not a food spell," Ron sat up, annoyed. "That's water."

"Well, I just happened to realize we never learned a food conjuring spell in our sixth year-or before, for that matter. Maybe if we stayed one more year, I could've been able to do it!" I said, setting down my wand. "Why don't you give it a go instead of lying on that sofa all day?" Hermione was smirking. "What?" I faced her.

"I just remembered. According to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration-" we groaned, which she ignored "-There are laws of magic governing what you can conjure and what you can't. Food is one of the five exceptions: you can't create food out of nothing. However, food can be increased or transported from one place to another. All the food at Hogwarts is not created magically by Dumbledore but cooked by House Elves, then magically sent through the ceiling to the tables above-which is partially the reason why I created S.P.E.W."

"I mean, you could've mentioned that before," I scowled.

"Sorry, I forgot." Hermione snickered. "It was fun to watch you try, though."

My stomach rumbled.

"Wait a minute. Can't we accio something?" Ron sat up, excited. "Quick, Elvira. Open a window."

"I doubt it works like that . . ." Hermione trailed off, but I had to try. I jumped off the couch, running towards the window and yanked it open. What stood below us made be freeze up, blood draining from my face.

"Well, El? Did you try it?" Ron called.

"Uh, guys," I said, loud enough for them to hear, yanking the window back down. "Come take a look at this."

Realizing the seriousness from my voice, I heard as the sofa and door creaked, the three of them making their way towards me. I bent down on my knees, peering through the window. Above me stood Harry and Ron, Hermione crouching beside me.

My arm started to burn.

"Death Eaters," Harry whispered. "They're everywhere."

"They can't get in?" Ron asked. I mean, if they're here, they know this place exists."

"The charms on the house are too strong for even them to get inside," Hermione said,shaking her head. "They'll just be monitoring whoever comes in and out for now."

"For now?" Ron asked, alarmed. "I'm starving, woman!"

I looked up at Ron who looked down at me.

"How much d'you wanna bet that accio spell will work?"

I pulled out my wand.

⚡⚡⚡

I peeked through the peephole, staring at the Death Eaters posted outside. Was I looking for someone in particular?

No.

Was that someone Draco?

Definitely not.

Too bad they all had their hoods up, or I would've probably caught sight of him.

With a sigh, and a very hungry tummy, I got off my tippy-toes and walked back towards the living room.

"Harry," I called out, "I-"

Suddenly, a crash cut me off as something came barreling through the fireplace. I jumped onto the nearby sofa, clutching my heart.

A dark figure rose from the ashes.

"Professor Lupin?" I asked, letting my head fall back in relief. At the same time, Harry rushed into the room, wand ready in hand. When his eyes fell on Lupin, he narrowed his eyes, confused.

"Professor? What are you doing here?"

"Harry, I need to speak with you. Privately." The professor nodded at me apologetically, and I waved the matter away without a care. I had better things to worry about.

For one, getting off this sofa was a hassle. I was beginning to get lazy trapped here.

"It's alright. She can be trusted," Harry said without looking at me. More footsteps were heard, Ron and Hermione entering.

"I'd over you a seat on the sofa," I said, "but I'm sort of stuck." With a groan, and managed to swivel around, throwing my legs over the proper side. Ron and Hermione sat on either side of me, while Lupin and Harry took single sofas.

The professor got straight to the point. "Everything is going absolutely wrong," he started. "Harry is wanted for questioning by the Ministry. Wizards are being ordered to submit to interviews to prove they have wizarding parents. Anyone practicing magic who does not have wizarding parents will be presumed to have stolen magical secrets and will be liable for prosecution."

He meant people like Hermione. Wizards and witches with non-magic parents were being taken into custody.

"I've come here to help you four out," Lupin continued. "I'm . . . ready to help. Let me accompany you."

"You should've come bearing food," Ron grumbled.

"What about Tonks?" Harry asked, puzzled. "You have to stay with her."

Lupin let out a heavy sigh. "Tonks is expecting a child. I regret marrying her. What if the child is half-warewolf? What would I have done to her and our baby?"

I could tell this conversation was about to get heated, so I excused myself, wandering to the main door again to peek out, when my heart nearly stopped beating.

On the steps sat Draco-I could tell from the back of his blond head. He looked as if he were thinking-but then I couldn't be sure, 'cause all I could see was his back.

I knocked on the door, gently.

Knock, knock.

Draco's ears seemed to perk. He looked over his shoulder, bewildered.

I looked behind me to make sure no one was looking.

knock knock. Knock.

This made him get to his feet. Draco checked his surroundings, and inched towards the door. He tried looking through the peephole, which made me snicker, because that obviously wasn't going to work.

He knocked once, but it was so quiet I could barely hear it. I knocked back twice.

Malfoy rolled his eyes, turning his back to the door. I knew he knew it was me. I wanted to say something, but if I opened the door now, thirty Death Eaters would be standing in the living room of Number Twelve Grimmauld place faster than you could say "You-Know-Who".

"You're a coward," I heard Harry say, and cringed as something in the room crashed. Lupin stormed out towards the fireplace, floo powder ready. He looked enraged. I backed away from the door, praying Draco wouldn't dare knock again.

With a green poof, Lupin disappeared, Harry crossing the room after him.

"That was a bit harsh, mate," Ron said, entering. "He wanted to help."

"He was abandoning his wife and kid," Harry spoke, turning on his friend. "I wasn't about to let him do that."

Being trapped in this house was starting to get to everyone. I had to do something about it.

"I have an idea," I interjected, brushing a loose lock of hair behind my ear. Three heads turned towards me; a fuming Harry, a frustrated Ron, and desperate Hermione. "I'll go after Mundungus."

"No," they said in unison immediately.

"It's not a big deal," I continued, striding towards them. "Look. I'll take the fireplace, simple as that. The ministry isn't looking for me, they're looking for the three of you." I turned to Hermione. "You heard Lupin; they're focused on catching people with non-magic parents. And Ron . . . you're family basically loves muggles. You know what the call that," I said, rasinging my eyebrows. The truth was harsh, but it was true.

"Blood traitors," Ron mumbled, the tips of his ears reddening.

"Exactly. And Harry. That much is obvious. Of course you're not leaving," I rolled my eyes a matter-of-factly. "I have a pretty strong hunch Mundungus is in Diagon Alley-I mean, he'll be selling all his trinkets there, won't he be?"

They nodded to this, agreeably.

"Just take off the hex for me and allow me to come back in. Trust me, barely anyone knows I'm traveling with the three of you."

"And your parents?" Harry asked, crossing his arms over his chest. "What about them?"

Hearing him say that, my face fell. "Uh," I muttured, shuffling my feet and letting out a huge sigh, "they're safe. Don't worry."

"But Elvira we can't just let you go," Hermione protested, deep brown eyes wide and arms spread apart in argument. "If anything happened to you it would be our fault."

"We can't just stay cooped up in here forever. It's been days," I said. "We're hungry. Until we get news on that locket, we can't go anywhere."

"She's got a point," Ron said with a shrug.

Hermione sighed hesitantly. "Elvira, are you sure?" she asked, wringing her hands.

"I'm sure." I reached out, pulling her hands apart from each other gently. I looked up at the three of them. "I came to help. I should be able to do what you can't."

They nodded, and I was surprised to notice even Harry and Ron were reluctant.

Hermione motioned me over to the center of the room, pulling out her wand.

"I'm going to cast a few charms on you to keep you safe."

I nodded, letting her do as she pleased. Muttering spells under her name, I tingled as they fell over me, and when she was done, she exhaled, returning her wand to her pocket.

"Okay. Lupin left some floo powder behind. You'll be able to get in and out as you please-only you."

I nodded, stretching out my hand. "See you." I shook their hands.

"You'll be back," Harry patted my shoulder. "We'll be waiting."

I walked towards the fireplace, holding a handful of emerald powder.

As opened my mouth to leave, Hermione stepped forward.

"Wait."

She ran, exiting the room, and return moments later with something in her hand.

"I found this before we came here, but I wanted to give this to you." She took my hand, setting something small and cold in it.

I opened my fingers to find, with a jolt of remembrance, Draco's ring.

"I think it belongs to you."

The Slytherin crest formed on top. I slipped it on my thumb, the size a little too big.

"Thank you."

She smiled.

"Diagon Alley." The world went spinning, whirling, twirling, and I felt naseous, my stomach twisting.

I could see various places to stop, but I knew Diagon Alley when I saw it.

I pushed myself towards it, and then I was falling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 5.4K 22
Mudblood. Draco Malfoy is all too familiar with the word. It slips off his tongue easily and he's never once regretted it. Until his fifth year at Ho...
117K 5.1K 55
"You're such a prick! I knew you hadn't really changed. You're just back to your old ways, torturing me." Harry can still feel Draco's hand around hi...
2.3M 60.9K 59
"Anyone you excited to finally meet?" she asked. "Harry Potter obviously! Then again, my dad does talk about this other boy a lot and from what I've...
3.5M 82K 131
"Wha-How-how did you do that?" Malfoy questioned furiously. I gave him a cocky smirk. "Just a few simple jinxes. Guess I'm not that much of a Mudblo...