Lumos

By draninator

Elvira Steele was a late-bloomer. Her parents were worried she'd be the first squib in their Pureblood herita... More

1| Chocolate Frogs
2| Venomous Tentacula
3| Polyjuice Potion
4| Half-Blooded
5| Slug Club
6| Felix Felicis
7| Christmas Party
8| Finite
9| Butterbeer
10| Markings
11| Harmonia Nectere
12| Vanishing Cabinet
13| Cold Steele
14| Wheezing Wizards
15| Borgin and Burkes
16| Blue Spells
17| It's Dark Inside
18| Hidden Reasons
19| The Blond Boy
20| Chaos and Destruction
21| Malfoy's Manor
22| Obliviate
23| Useless Prophecies
24| The Leaky Cauldron
25| New Skin
26| Breathe
27| The Dursleys
28| Silver Heirloom
29| Veritaserum Vials
30| Seven Potters
31| Weaslove
32| The Missing Sword
33| Happy Days
34| 12 Grimmauld Place
35| Scars and Dark Marks
36| Night Shopping
37| Creeping Kreachers
38| Floo Powder
39| Knockturn Alley
40| Legilemens
42 | Occlumency
43 | The Ministry
44 | Occamy
45 | The Locket
46 | Professors and Nonexistent Plans
47 | The Signal
48 | Cruciatus Curse
49 | The Return to Hogwarts
50 | The House Elf
51 | Grindelwald

41| Yule Ball

488 32 10
By draninator

Three Years Ago . . . 

Books stacked in my arms, hair flying everywhere, I dashed through the halls of the Hogwarts castle, making my way back to the Slytherin Dungeons. I'd forgotten my essay on my side table, having let Tracey Davis borrow it the night before. Classes had just been dismissed, and the halls were filling up with loud teenagers.

"Oi, Steele!" someone shouted, causing me to come to a complete halt—or, trying to. My shoes screeched across the polished floors as I skid to a complete stop.

Catching my breath, I looked around for the source of the shout.

A boy, Gryffindor, was waving his arms and walking towards me, pushing past people. I cringed. Oh, please. What did he want from me?

As he got closer, I recognized him as Seamus Finnigan from the classes we had together. I set my books down on the floor near the wall, massaging my inner arms from where the books had left dents in them.

"Finnigan?" I asked, and he nodded, confirming his name. "What's up?"

"Honestly, I didn't want to do this," he said, scratching the back of his neck, "but . . . do you have a date to the Yule Ball?"

I stared at him, appalled.

"Is that how you chose to start off that question?"

"Oh," he started to sputter. "That's not how I meant it. But you see, Dean bet me five galleons I couldn't ask a girl from Slytherin to the ball, and since you're friends with Harry . . . I realized I had a chance."

I stared at him, my jaw hanging open. "Do you hear yourself, or did someone hex you to do this? Blink once if you're under the Imperius curse right now."

He shook his head. "Is that a yes?"

"Of course no—"

"Of course that's a no," someone interrupted, stepping in between us. Do you think we'd ruin our image attending a ball with the likes of you?"

I stared at the back of Malfoy's blond head, angered.

"I can speak for myself, Draco."

He turned, facing me. "You were about to say yes. Do you think I'd let you ruin the Slytherin image just like that? We don't mingle with Mudbloods."

"I'm a half-blood, you moron," Seamus scowled.

"All the same," Malfoy smirked. "Go on—git, half-wit."

Seamus looked over his shoulder at me. "I didn't mean it offensively. If you said yes . . ."

"No!" Draco and I shouted in unison. Seamus put up his hands, turning to walk away. I slithered in front of Draco, hands on my hips.

"What was that?"

He looked down at me, a sneer on his face. "I'm going to make sure you go to that dance alone."

"Why do you even care?"

"Look, no Slytherin is going with you, and there's no way you're going with a Gryffindor," he said, rasing his eyebrows, grey eyes mischievous. "That leaves Huffepuff and Ravenclaw. They're both dimwitted."

"They're smarter than you are," I shot back. "I don't see you having a date either, Mr. High and Mighty."

"Oh, give me a second." Draco turned, standing on his tiptoes to look over the crowd. His eyes brightened when his eyes fell on someone. "Pansy! Over here." I nearly gagged.

Pansy, looking absolutely gleeful to be called by Draco, made her way through the packed hallway, until she popped out in front of us.

"Pansy, you asked me a question earlier, and I said I'd think about it—"

"You said no," she said, confused. Her green eyes traveled to me, and her lips pulled back into a sneer. I realized, Pansy Parkinson would be absolutely beautiful if her face didn't look so menacing and angry all the time.

"Well," Draco ran a hand through his hair, "I change my mind."

Her eyes shot back to him. "What made you change your mind?" she asked, batting her eyelashes. Her hair had grown out too. Fourth year had done a wonder on Parkinson. Her eyes fell on me again, and she laughed. Loudly. "Did Steele ask you?"

"She might as well have," Malfoy snickered, and I felt the blood rush to my head.

"Never in a million years." And then, it came to me.

I smirked.

"Don't you remember, Draco? Second year. You asked me if I'd like to go with you, and I asked why you were asking me so early, and you replied, 'I just need to make sure'. Or did you forget?"

Draco's cheeks turned bright pink. "That was before I knew what you were." He glanced at Pansy. "Why are you still here? I said I'd go, didn't I?"

Pansy scowled at the both of us, spinning on her heel and marching off, disappearing through the crowd.

"And you said yes," Draco turned back to me, his lips pursed. "You were desperate."

"You asked! And, by the way, any Slytherin would be happy to go with me. Watch this." I turned, scanning the crown for signs of a green and silver tie.

There.

I reached forward, latching onto the boy's arm and pulling him back.

Terence Higgs.

"Higgs, are you going to the ball with anyone?" I asked.

His blue eyes narrowed in confusion. "Why?"

Draco threw his head back, barking out a laugh.

I ignored him. "Are you?"

"No?" And then, his eyes widened. "Are you?"

"Nope."

He grinned. "Go with me, then?"

"Sure," I smiled, and Terence looked as if he were about to dance.

"See you, then! Oh, can we coordinate outfits later? You'd look splendid in emerald green."

"Of course we can," I patted his arm. He nodded, turning, pumping his fist in the air. I crossed my arms over my chest, raising my eyebrows at Malfoy. "Well?"

"He's three years older than you."

"Your point?"

He scowled. "You'll look . . . hideous. As always."

And then, he walked away.

⚡⚡⚡

Mum picked my dress. She had it shipped as soon as she heard I'd be attending the ball.

The dress itself was two layers and two shades: mauve and rose. It was shaped as a ballgown, but stylish and up-to date. It was delicately and exotically trimmed, with a cut-off shoulder.

I was excited, to be honest, even if I wasn't dancing. I was happy to be a part of something so . . . big.

And, of course, I wanted to make Malfoy mad.

I was going to get Pansy to leave him stranded, I really was. After all, he deserved it. The no good, selfish, insufferable Draco Malfoy was going to get what he had coming.

I set the dress back down. The ball was in three days.

I smirked, grabbing my wand off the side table, and walked out of the room.

⚡⚡⚡

Theodore Nott sat at one of the tables in the library, scribbling intensely on a sheet of parchment. I slithered in beside him, batting my eyelashes multiple times.

He didn't even glance at me.

I reached out, deciding to get rough, and shook him. That got his attention.

Nott looked up, startled. "What is it, Steele?"

"Ask Pansy to the dance." Way to be discreet, Steele.

"What? Why?" he asked.

I scooted closer, peering up at him through my eyelashes.

"You gotta."

Theo set down his quill, turning his full attention towards me, eyebrows raised. "Isn't she going with Malfoy?"

I smiled. "Is that a problem?"

"Yes. This is Draco bloody Malfoy we're talking about. He'll skin me and hang me from my heels from the Whomping Willow . . . I'm not taking any chances." Theo folded his hands neatly on the table in front of him, giving me a look.

I withdrew from him, scowling. "I can't disagree. But I have to get him back, Theo," I moaned. "You don't get it."

"Oh," he smirked, "believe me, I do. Sometimes I want to hex him to his damned sofa for the rest of his life."

"The one little spot he always claims?" I snickered.

"The same." The corner of Theo's lip turned up, his blue eyes bright with mischief.

"Anyway, were competing to see who'll come to the dance without a date, and I'm going to sabotage him." I straightened my back, clenching my fist in motivation. "I will be victorious."

"Easy there," Theo reached out to steady me as I almost toppled off the seat. "You know what would surprise him? If you asked him instead?"

"Are you mad? I would never!" I exclaimed, aghast at the mere idea.

"Fine. But, you should've gone with me."

"You're right," I agreed, and then realized who I was going with. I felt my face fall and groaned.

"What? Are you going with someone?"

"Higgs," I pulled on my face.

"No," Theo said wide-eyed. And then he burst into laughter. "Good luck, El."

"Thanks. I'll need loads of it. So," I said, trying to forget about the fact that I'd totally decided to attend a ball with Terence who'd probably dump me for the next pretty girl he saw, "you'll do it?"

"Of course I'll do it. Anything for you." Theodore Nott shot me a toothy smile that caused my face to heat up. I nudged him.

"Thank you."

"My pleasure. But, Elvira, you should know that if he finds out and kills me, I'll kill you."

⚡⚡⚡

Sabotaging Draco's date to the Yule Ball wasn't as easy as it sounded. It was, in fact, so impossible to get Pansy away from him, that Theo had had to take a shortcut, as one could call it.

Amortentia, or, more popularly known as the Love Potion. We split the ingredients in half; I'd snag the Ashwinder eggs, powdered Moonstone, and peppermint. Theo would somehow manage to retrieve the rose thorns and pearl dust, and he was also in charge of brewing the potion.

At last, it was ready.

"You slip this under her pillow," Theo said the day of the ball, handing me a small, delicate round box, engraved with Pansy's surname.

"What is it?"

"Chocolate," he said with a smirk. "A girl's best friend. But be careful. Make sure neither you or Draco are in the room when she takes a bite, because the first one she sees after is the person she'll fall in love with. And it'll wear off tomorrow morning."

I nodded, slipping the box into my pocket. And the plan was a-go.

⚡⚡⚡

Pansy grabbed onto the box as soon as her eyes set on it. That was my cue to escape.

I slipped into the common room, and the first person my eyes fell on was Malfoy. He sat in his usual spot; legs crossed, arms resting on the back of the sofa on either side of him, eyes closed and head tilted back.

"Wake up," I said, shaking him. I realized he'd actually been asleep because he blinked wearily, mumbling a "what?" followed by a groan.

"Snape said he wanted to speak with you," I lied. "It seemed urgent."

"Bloody Snape," Draco, wiped his eyes. Then, he looked at me. "Idiot Steele. Where did you come from?" I rolled my eyes at his annoying use of last names.

"Go! Quickly!" I urged.

Draco hopped to his feet. "I swear, if this wasn't important . . ."

"Go!"

So Draco scowled, turned, and sleepily marched out of the Slytherin Dungeons.

I sighed in relief, plopping down in his spot. The cushions were still comfortably warm, so I snuggled in. I had about twenty minutes till Draco made his way back here, furious and ready to maim. Till then, I would nap.

The sound of a depressed being was what woke me up. I sat up, groggily, rubbing my eyes.

"Huh?"

"El, wake up," a feminine voice said. I tried to peer through the dark to find out where I was as things slowly started coming back to me. So, Draco still probably hadn't come back from the made-up meeting with Snape, since I was still on the sofa in one piece, with a comfy blanket over me. "Elvira!"

"Yes! What?" I said, finally alert, turning to face the intruder. Through the dark, I made out the sharp nose and curved lips of Pansy Parkinson. "Pansy?"

"I need help," she groaned.

"What? What is it?" Slowly, horror began to dawn over me. What if the potion hadn't worked? What if Theo had messed up and accidentally poisoned it?

She groaned again.

"El, I think . . . I think I'm in love with Terence Higgs."

"Terence?" I shrieked. "My Terence?"

"He's not yours," Pansy scowled. "He's not an object. But . . . he will belong to me sooner or later."

I pressed my palms to my eyes and groaned.

⚡⚡⚡

That night, I avoided Malfoy every chance I got. I tried hiding behind the bowl of self-refilling pumpkin juice, and pillars of decorative crystal made to hold up equally fragile vases. I hid behind the Beauxbatons and Durmstrangs (danced with some, too. I mean, could you blame me?)

I spoke to Hermione for a couple of minutes, then I stood, alone. Maybe, just maybe, Malfoy had decided to stay in the Dungeon after Pansy had had a sudden change of heart.

Pansy and Terence.

He'd completely dumped me the first chance he got. I was dateless, and so was Malfoy. Hopefully.

"Well, well, well," a cold voice came, making me jump. I could feel the horror dawning over me. So, the snake had finally found me. "Do I see someone standing here, alone?"

I dared myself to look up at the smirking face of Draco Malfoy, and nearly groaned out loud when I saw a familiar face near him, arms encircled.

"Have you met darling Astoria?" he asked, triumph written all over his sharp features. I tried to go back, to remember when this had turned into a competition, but I couldn't.

Oh, how I loathed him.

"Yes, I know Astoria," I smiled, my voice dripping with sweet venom. "What happened to Pansy?" Malfoy wore black dress robes, white-blond hair slicked back smoothly. The ring on his finger shone, polished and as if he'd just bought it.

"Ah, I knew I could do better." Silver eyes met green, and I nearly gagged. What a liar.

"For your information, I did come with someone. He's just getting our drinks."

Malfoy looked at me as if I'd said the stupidest thing in the world. "Isn't that what you're doing?" Right. Damn it. He reached forward, grabbing a glass of juice and handing it to me, a sneer on his face. "Pumpkin Juice for one?"

I scowled, gripping my dress tightly in both fists as I tried to keep myself from landing a blow. As Draco cackled at me, holding onto Astoria, I could feel my face burning.

And then, suddenly, out of absolutely nowhere, Theo appeared looking stunning in his new dress robes. His hair was combed perfectly off to one side and his blue eyes fell on me.

"Hello, Elvira. Chocolate?" He handed me a piece, and then turned to Draco and Astoria, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "Would you like some, too?"

Draco shrugged and took one, Astoria following.

"What are you doing?" I asked through clenched teeth, and Theo, not breaking his smile, replied, "Trust me."

And so, the both of them bit into the chocolate. At the same time, Theo stepped in front of Astoria, and I figured out his plan immediately. He'd spiked her's,  and Draco and mine's was normal. That way, Astoria would leave Draco stranded for Theo and I would be victorious.

I snickered to myself. Theo and I watched Astoria closely, waiting. She looked back at us with a frown.

"Well, why are the both of you staring at me like that?" Astoria asked. Confused, I glanced at Theo.

"Don't look at me, it should've worked by now," he raised his hands in defense. My stomach churned, as a sickening realization dawned over me.

"The person you all should be staring at is Elvira. That dress looks beautiful on you tonight."

I gripped Theo's arm. No, please, Merlin, no . . .

"Well, would you like to dance?" a glazy-eyed Draco said, reaching out. A dreamy look plastered on his face, cheeks flushed, he looked almost adorable.

I kicked myself.

"You idiot!" I shrieked, punching Theo. "You switched theirs!"

"Oh, dear." Theo backed away. "You're on your own with this one." And he disappeared into the crowds of dancing bodies. I faced a love-stricken Malfoy and swallowed as he reached for my arm.

End this memory now, Steele!

Suddenly, I wasn't in the ballroom anymore. I was sitting on a chair, sweating, stuck inside of  four walls. Looking down at my arms, a swirling black mark slithered over my forearm, and suddenly I realized where I was.

I looked up at a wide-eyed, shocked Malfoy, and the curious face of Theo.

"Well, what did you see?" Theo turned to Draco. "Well?"

Draco was confused. He seemed to be wrapping his mind around what he'd seen.

Slowly, as my heart pounded out of my chest, he seemed to come back to reality.

Ah, there it was. The murder in his eyes.

"You," he hissed, pulling out his wand and pointing it at the space between my eyes, "you used a love potion on me?"

Theo glanced at me, crystal blue eyes widening.

"Uh-oh."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

578 10 45
Draco Malfoy had everything. The money, the name, any toys or clothes he wanted. Sure his parents were a little cold, but they were preparing him to...
1.2M 30.4K 71
❝𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐠𝐨❞ Y/N Larkspur arrives at Hogwarts with a disgraceful family name to be sorted into the house her father scorns. Her world suddenly co...
139 13 19
At the start of Ivy Stillwater's first year at Hogwarts, the Sorting Hat gives an exciting announcement: five enchanted pearls have been hidden in th...
3.5M 81.9K 131
"Wha-How-how did you do that?" Malfoy questioned furiously. I gave him a cocky smirk. "Just a few simple jinxes. Guess I'm not that much of a Mudblo...