The Silver-Eyed Starlet (A De...

By SaiyaShi

Making an acting debut is hard enough. Try debuting when you're constantly overshadowed by your superstar mot... More

The Silver-Eyed Starlet (A Detective Conan Fanfiction)
Chapter One:
Chapter Three:
Chapter Four:
Chapter Five:
Chapter Six:
Chapter Seven:
Chapter Eight:
Chapter Nine:

Chapter Two:

1.8K 55 5
By SaiyaShi

Yusa had quite the difficult time getting across the room. She was forced to dodge reporters and fans who had gotten invitations to the party, unlike the ones outside. And unfortunately, they were just as intent on getting an interview with her.

“Sorry! ‘Scuse me!” She apologized, squeezing past two men in long black overcoats talking to another American actress, Chris Vineyard.

Finally, she made it to safety behind closed doors, rather out of breath as she recomposed herself before stepping forward to where her manager and a Nichiuri Television anchorman stood waiting.

“Ah, good, you’re here, Yusa.” Her manager said.

“Sorry about the delay, Ruth. I had some traffic jams.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Then, turning to the anchorman, Ruth spoke in broken Japanese. “She is now ready.”

The anchorman had an eager look in his eyes as he hurriedly ushered Yusa over to a couch on one side of the room before taking a seat in an armchair across from her. Cameramen stood at ready, waiting to begin filming.

The anchorman, Gouda, wrung his hands together. “Ah, Miss Yusa, are we to understand that this interview can be broadcasted on live television?”

Yusa shrugged. “I don’t see why not.”

“Great! Cameraman, start filming in three, two, one!”

The camera began rolling, and Gouda faced the lense, reading off his usual greeting to viewers. “And now, we are proud to present our exclusive interview with none other than the actress Yusa Saotome-Rowland!”

Yusa plastered a bright smile on her face. “Thanks for having me today.”

“I must say, Miss Yusa, your Japanese is quite good for a foreigner.”

“Why thank you. It’s only natural, I suppose. I’m half Japanese anyway.”

Gouda leaned forward. “Half?”

“Yes. My mother is Japanese, and my father is a British-American.”

“Your mother is Rumi Saotome, the former Japanese model, correct.”

Yusa nodded. “That is correct.”

“Ah, we apologize for bringing your mother up. It must be a painful subject for you, having lost your mother at such a young age.”

Yusa’s eyelid twitched slightly. Of course it was a painful subject. Rumi had died in a Japanese hospital from cancer less than an hour after watching her thirteen year old daughter win the United States national gymnastics tournament on TV. Yusa hadn’t even gotten the chance to show her mother her gold medal.

“Oh, no, it’s okay,” Yusa lied. “Sure, I miss her and all, but it’s reassuring in a way, knowing that she doesn’t have to suffer from her cancer anymore.”

Gouda gave her a sympathetic look. “We’re sorry for you. But on a more cheerful note, shall we answer some of our viewer’s questions?”

“Yes, let’s,” Yusa agreed, grateful for the change of topic.

An assistant brought in several envelopes and handed them to Gouda. He tore open the first one, pulled out the slip of paper inside, and read aloud. “Here’s our first question: Dear Yusa, what do you like to do in your spare time? From, Toki.”

Yusa blinked. Well isn’t that a random question. “Hm, let’s see. I enjoy reading in my free time, though I mostly hang out with friends from the acting agency. I also like visiting my old elementary school and read to the students.”

“That’s very interesting, Yusa,” said Gouda. “Excuse me for butting in, but you are a high schooler, correct? At seventeen years of age.”

“Yes, I am.”

“So then how do you attend classes? And how do you balance your work with your various showbiz jobs?”

“That’s easy. I usually take lessons from a private tutor during breaks while on set, or just as a normal class. If I’m traveling, then he teaches me via online chats and phone calls. If I manage my time well enough, then the homework isn’t so bad.”

Gouda chuckled. “Well, I’m sure that’s a relief to many young viewers out there, knowing that the famous actress has to go through the same pains of homework as them. Then, onto the next question: Dear Miss Rowland, who is your father, and what does he do?”

Yet another random question. “That’s an unusual question,” Yusa remarked jokingly. “You see, my father is named Warren Rowland. He was born a British, but moved to the United States and became an American citizen. And as for what he does, I guess you could say that he’s a New York cop.”

“A cop, you say?” said Gouda. “How unexpected.”

Yusa forced another smile to cover up her partial lie. In truth, Warren Rowland wasn’t a cop, though he did work for the federal government. He was actually a CIA agent, and due to his work, both he and Yusa were required to keep his profession an utmost secret. She didn’t even know where on the globe he was right at that moment. Last she checked, six or seven months ago, he had tracked down and captured several notorious marijuana smugglers in Mexico. Perhaps he had made his way to the other side of the globe now for another mission.

Finally, Gouda reached the last of his envelopes. “And here we are, the final question. Are you ready, Miss Yusa?”

“You bet.”

“The question is, and ooh, this is a good one. I’m sure we’re all wondering this. It says: Dear Yusa, are you dating someone right now?”

This question spiked the curiosity of everyone in the room, and Yusa could feel their inquiring stares bore into her.

“To all the young men of Japan, the moment you have all been waiting for. You’d better prepare yourselves to have your hearts broken!” Gouda called to the camera. “Well, Yusa? We’re all waiting for your answer.”

Yusa’s eyes flickered over the faces of the film crew, her manager, Ruth, and the security guards at the door, all waiting for her words. The air was thick and heavy with tension, as they braced themselves.

Yusa laughed. “Sorry to disappoint you all, but I’m not seeing anyone right now.”

Gouda’s eyes widened. “No one?”

“Nope. Not a single person.”

“Have you ever dated anyone ever?”

“Nope. Not a single guy.”

“But, surely you must have your eye on some lucky guy.”

Yusa sighed, smiling. “No, I don’t. I’m totally, completely, unattached to any guy.”

“Well, isn’t this good news, young men of Japan? Yusa Saotome-Rowland is open to any guy who has the skills to charm her and steal her heart.” Gouda once again announced to the camera.

Yusa’s eyelid twitched in annoyance again. Geez, just because I said I wasn’t dating anyone doesn’t mean you can just announce it like a challenge on national television. Besides, I’d like to see a guy make a move on me, if they even dared. I’d beat them to pulp before the words even left their mouth.

“Well, viewers, that’s it for today. Thanks for tuning in to Nichiuri News, and we’ll see you next time.”

The cameraman switched the camera off, and Gouda stood up, stretching. “Ah, that’s much better. My body’s rather stiff from sitting down for so long.”

Yusa stood up as well, smoothing the skirt of her midnight blue dress as Ruth ran over. “That was marvelous, Yusa! Way to keep the audience in suspense.”

“Thanks, Ruth, but all I did was answer the questions truthfully. Kind of.”

“Never mind that. Now, I’m sure you’re dying of boredom right now. Go and enjoy the party.”

Yusa cocked her head. “What about you?”

Her manager waved off her concern, smiling reassuringly. “Don’t worry about me; I’ll join you as soon as I finish things up here.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive. I’ll be fine, Yusa. Now, hurry up and get going before all the fun is over.”

“Okay. Thanks, Ruth.” And with that, Yusa walked out of the room and back down the hall, following the sounds of happy chatter and music.

Yusa entered the banquet hall just as the ceremony began. Spotting Yukiko, Yusaku, Sonoko, and the Mouris, she weaved her way through the crowd over to them.

“Hey,” she whispered to Yukiko as she slipped through the guests and found a spot next to her.

Yukiko glanced over. “Oh, hello, Yusa. How was the interview?”

“The usual,” Yusa replied quickly, not wanting to talk about the somewhat bothersome questions she was asked.

Yukiko smirked. “Liar,” she said, “I can tell by the look on your face that you didn’t enjoy it one bit.”

The younger girl sighed. “Yeah, you got me. Am I really that obvious?”

“When you’re not acting, yes. At least to me, you are. Then again, we’ve known each other for quite some time now. How many years is it?”

“I believe four or five.”

Yukiko beamed. “See? You can’t hide anything from me now.”

Yusa was about to reply, when the host of the party walked onto the stage, and the lights dimmed, the guests quieting down. Yusa turned towards the stage, and took her first good look at him.

He was a short, plump man, with a curled mustache and a crisp black suit, the white dress shirt threatening to pop open around his middle. He cleared his throat, then took the microphone.

“Ah, welcome, fine guests. Thank you for taking the time to attend the opening ceremony of our new hotel and restaurant, Red Venus, and we encourage you to come spend a night in one of our luxurious rooms or suites. My name is Akitoshi Aogi, the owner of this fine hotel.”

Yusa scoffed under her breath. Well isn’t he smooth with his words.

The hotel owner continued with his speech. “Red Venus was an idea that my good friend and I came up with several years ago, and thanks to support from many generous sponsors, that idea and dream became the reality we are standing in today.

“Unfortunately, this good friend of mine passed away last year, and was thus unable to see his creation. Let us propose a toast to his memory.” He raised his glass of wine, and all around the room, Yusa could see glasses of wine and champagne being lifted into the air. The room was utterly silent, so quiet that you could’ve heard a pin drop, before he lowered his glass again, ending the toast.

“And now onto a happier manner, may I have our special guest stars up on the stage? Yusaku Kudo, Yukiko Kudo, Chris Vineyard, and Yusa Rowland.”

Yusa blinked in surprise. No one had mentioned that she was a special guest star of the ceremony. She pushed it aside, and followed Yusaku and Yukiko onto the stage, where they were joined by the actress Chris Vineyard.

The four of them lined up along the stage, and Aogi approached them. “Well, shall we start with you two, Mr. and Mrs. Kudo?”

Yusaku nodded. “That’s fine with us.”

“Good good, very good. Now then, in case you all have not heard, my deceased friend was a Japanese of American birth, and the Western culture that meant so much to him was incorporated into the theme of Red Venus. Mr. Kudo, you are a world-famous Japanese author living in America. How do you feel about the United States?”

Yusaku took the extra mic that was handed to him by an assistant. “To start off, I am very much impressed by much of the architecture found in America, which is not as common over here. The columns and pillars are quite elegant, and provide a classic look to the Red Venus. I also have many friends in America as well, and Americans are really quite open and friendly towards foreigners.”

“Is that so?” Aogi said. “And what about you, Mrs. Kudo? Do you have anything to add?”

Yukiko took the mic from her husband. “I feel the same way as he does about the U.S., and while I feel at home here in Japan, living in America is comfortable and easy, especially with my close acting friends. The Red Venus greatly reminds me of America, and not to mention the design of this hotel is simply gorgeous.”

“Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Kudo. Next, Chris Vineyard.”

Yukiko handed the mic over to the young American woman, who flipped her blonde locks over her shoulder, her blue eyes flashing.

“Welcome to Japan, Ms. Vineyard,” said Aogi. “This is your first time here in our country, correct?”

Chris lifted the mic to her lips. “Yes, it is.” Her heavily accented Japanese rolled off her tongue, giving her an exotic air.

Aogi continued his conversation with Chris, until he spoke again. “And for our final special guest star tonight, Yusa Rowland.”

Yusa curled her fingers around the microphone that Chris Vineyard passed to her, and faced Aogi.

Aogi had a strange gleam in his eyes as he spoke to her. “First off, Ms. Rowland, I’d like to congratulate you on yet another outstanding movie. Well done, well done indeed.”

“Thank you so much,” Yusa replied, his expression unnerving her.

“And not to mention your newest Academy Award, and the record you set as the youngest winner of the Best Actress award ever! How old are you?”

“Seventeen years old.”

“That young?! That’s incredible, having accomplished so much as such a young age. What inspired you to enter the world of showbiz?”

Yusa cocked her head. “Let’s see, I’d have to say the reason behind it all was my mother. I’d attend her photoshoots whenever I got the chance, and it got me thinking about modeling. However, she then took me to watch the filming of a movie, and I fell in love with the stuntsman.”

Her audience struggled to hide their amusement, several of them bursting out in laughter, until she realized what she had said and quickly corrected herself. “No, no, not literally falling in love with the stuntsman, no, no! I just saw the stunts he was performing, and I decided right then and there that I wanted to act, and to perform my own stunts.”

Aogi’s eyes watered from tears of laughter, his neatly curled mustache quivering. “Very interesting, Ms. Rowland. But moving on, I’m sure that while you are incredibly famous in the showbiz world, not many people know about your other activities. Would you mind sharing with us a few facts about your hobbies in your spare time? Perhaps you dance, or drink tea with friends?”

By now, Yusa was thoroughly annoyed. Aogi was purposely keeping her up on this stage for a much longer period of time than the other three guest stars, and it ticked her off. Smirking, she decided to pull the wool over his eyes. “Well, let’s see, I enjoy sharpshooting, kick boxing, normal boxing, pro wrestling, and sky diving. I train at the gym on a daily basis, and practice parkour with my friends on the weekends. If I have any other free time, I participate in BMX races, or just cruise around New York on my motorbike.”

The shocked look on Aogi’s round face was priceless, and Yusa could scarcely hide her own amusement. “But---but a pretty little girl like you ---- I thought you practiced karate---- and gymnastics-----”

“Oh, I do those too. Any other questions?” She asked, smiling sweetly.

“Um, no----- that will be all. Thank you, all four of you, for setting aside your time for us.” Aogi stammered into the microphone, now regarding Yusa with a look of fear rather than desire.

Yusa held her head high as she left the stage, enjoying the curious looks the audience was giving both her and Aogi. She, Yusaku, and Yukiko rejoined the Mouris, Sonoko, and Conan in the crowd below. Yusa was approached by a nervous looking Ran. “Um, Miss Yusa----?”

“Yes, what is it?”

“Do you---um---really do boxing and pro wrestling?”

Yusa laughed. “No, I don’t.”

“But you just said----”

“Oh, that? That was just a bluff to get off that stage and away from that man.”

Ran looked noticeably relieved as her shoulders relaxed, a smile on her face. “Okay, that’s good. For a second I really thought my new karate role model was into things like pro wrestling.”

Yusa sighed. “I don’t particularly like sports that brutal, where you’re nearly guaranteed to come out of a match with a dozen bruises or bloody lip, that kind of thing.”

“Don’t you get injured in karate?”

“Yes, and no. Back when I competed, I made it a point to pin the opponent down with the least amount of attacks possible. I didn’t like hurting others, so the sport doesn’t really appeal to me anymore.”

“Doesn’t----anymore? You mean you don’t like karate anymore?”

Yusa shook her head. “Not necessarily. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that while I respect the art of combat behind the sport, as well as the level of discipline it requires and the fact that knowing a way to defend yourself could come in handy, I just don’t like how people have turned it into a sport. In my opinion, fighting others should only be committed when needed.”

Ran looked down at the ground, not wanting to meet Yusa’s eyes, until Yusa caught her mistake. “But that’s just my personal opinion. And as long as people value the skill more than the gold medals, then I couldn’t care less.”

After that statement, Ran cheered up noticeably, and was happily chatting away with Sonoko while Yusa looked on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.5K 640 24
The billionaire's daughter's life was a threat to enemies. They planned on eliminating the child in order to succeed in their plans. But as wise as s...
379 9 9
You'd think that a shy girl that keeps most of her life to herself would just stay like that forever, right? No, of course not. And who knew someone...
10.6K 634 21
It started as a job, following Evan around making him "fall" for you to ruin his relationship and create a reputation.Then, her life changed forever.
13.8K 56 23
Nabee, One of BigHit's first female trainees, Debuts as a Soloist. How will her carrer to stardom be ?