Starlight

By Inconvenient_Ideal

Having very little memory and only knowing the inner workings of Neverland; Aoife may prove a useful allay to... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41

17

459 21 5
By Inconvenient_Ideal

There was a general unrest in Neverland which had caused the mermaids to lash out. The pirates stuck on their ship with nowhere to go and miles from land were the easy target. Their attack, although irritating didn't result in much damage. Baelfire had tried to help, but ended up getting ushered back below deck. They couldn't run the risk of the Shadow flying overhead and spotting him. If that happened things would go from bad to worse.

"You can stop that now," Hook tugged Aoife's arm, she was shaking her fist at one mermaid who was loitering around teasing her. "Ah," he put a hand over her mouth before she could start ranting at it, or about it or just ranting in general. "Shh," he said seriously while pulling her away and pointing his hook at her.

Aoife pouted and frowned up at him. He smiled happy that he managed to silence her. "Is it over with?" Baelfire's voice piped up from the doorway.

Aoife peered over Hook's shoulder, Hook turned on his heels and nodded slowly. "All seems to be well and safe, Baelfire."

"Do you get attacked often?" He questioned with a frown. He slowly stepped out, his eyes were flicking around making sure it was definitely safe for him to be out on the deck.

"No," Aoife walked past Hook. "Not usually. I think your arrival may have stirred something up. Don't look like that! Don't look sad, Baelfire. The mermaids are...well, I shan't go there, but they have no qualms with randomly causing trouble." Baelfire looked confused. He looked up to see Hook mouth: "Hates them." While pointing down at Aoife. Noticing Baelfire's look had shifted she looked up at Hook just to receive a smile in return. "Huh," she said sounding sceptical, moving away from Hook she walked off and past Baelfire, she was heading to her little hideout, which was essentially her bed. "Is there any damage down here?" She asked noticing Smee pottering around.

"A few cracks, nothing that won't be easily fixed."

"As long as we're not going to wake up wading in water, I won't mind. I shall help with the repairs tomorrow." Aoife smiled and rocked on her heels. "If you want my help that is. I mean, I've been such a sod, sorry Smee for pestering you. It would be easy to pass the blame to Baelfire, but it's not his fault." She apologised for the previous torment she had given the shorter man. Smee smiled and nodded, she took that as acceptance, "Night then." She waved and went to continue walking to her hammock. Hearing her name she ducked back out. "What is it?"

"You and the Captain."

"Oh," her smile dropped. "Yes, I'm not too sure what happened there." She admitted, Smee nodded slowly. Aoife tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Hm, night again, Smee." She walked back into her hideaway and settled. She couldn't think of anything else to say on the matter, Smee looked utterly embarrassed by him walking in on them, so he opted not to voice anything else.

Her little hideaway mainly consisted of being in a junction near another set of stairs that led downwards to the deck below. There were ropes, sacks of supplies, even cannonballs present here. It was like a small supply corner, tucked away on the ship. She didn't like enclosed spaces, so she had managed to fashion a bed out of old sacking, which she strapped to an unused lantern hook and a post. She was light enough that there was no strain on the metal clasp. She had fun scampering up the post slightly to climb into the hammock itself.

With a sigh, she sat there dangling her legs over the side. She stared at the wooden floor below with a distant look. She didn't wholly know why she came here, to her hammock that is. She was bored. She just left the main deck to get away from Baelfire's innocent confusion and Hook's general disposition. Frowning and peeking forwards, she could see that the corridor was empty, void of life. It seemed Smee had soon pottered into his own little cabin once she'd disappeared.

"You know, people tend to think one is up to no good when they're spying around corners." Aoife stuck her head out and looked to the side. "Who or what are you spying on?"

"What are you doing down here?"

"It's my ship. I am the Captain, I do have free rein of it and I can go wherever, whenever."

Aoife frowned. "You've got me there." She admitted. "I'm bored."

"I do know a few things which can relieve boredom."

Aoife slapped a hand to her forehead. "Seriously? Seriously?" She peered down at him, Hook just continued to lean against the wall. He hit his head lightly against the wood behind him before his eyes slid down to look at her with a sidewards glance. He had come down another set of stairs at the other end of the ship and crept along. Everyone knew where she opted to sleep, it wasn't hard to figure out where she was.

"May I inquire something?"

"Oh, this sounds serious. Are you feeling all right?" Aoife's eyes widened, seriousness and Hook in her eyes was never a good thing.

"I may have overheard you talking with Baelfire the other day." He said, Aoife frowned at the thought of being eavesdropped on. "If you found a way out of here, would you take it?"

Leaning against the post, Aoife looked thoughtful, she even hummed a few times as if that'd help her thought process. Hook just stood still leaning against the wall waiting for an answer. He crossed his arms impatiently though after a few minutes, frowning up at her, he tapped his foot on the floor. More minutes had passed and Aoife continued to hum.

"Oh, come on! It's really not an impossible question to answer, is it? You clearly despise this place, why are you taking so long to answer?"

"Why do you even want to know my answer?"

"Really? You're going to answer my question with a question of your own?"

"Yes." She answered honestly.

Hook sighed heavily. "I don't plan on staying much longer." He admitted, diverting his gaze away from Aoife, mainly because she suddenly looked saddened by this admittance. Tilting her head to the side she didn't openly admit that this may have been the first time he was ever hesitant about anything. It was clear that he was musing over his next sentence. Eventually he looked at her, "Would you stay?"

Aoife pointed a finger down at him. "Are you asking me to stay on board, and escape Neverland, and continue to stay on board?"

"Well when put bluntly like that, yes." Hook said indifferently, why did she have to make it sound like such or ordeal?

Aoife let out a thoughtful noise. "And when we get out of Neverland, and back to whatever world you come from, you'd continue to want me to stay, and travel with you all?"

Hook frowned, "Do you have to say everything so plainly? You make this whole thing sound highly mundane." He paused. "Being asked to become a member of my crew is an important thing, Aoife. Please take it seriously."

"Huh," Aoife mused. "Huh, huh, huh..."

"Don't say huh again."

"Huh."

Hook looked at her deadpanned. "You're really ruining this whole moment."

"What?" Aoife grinned and laughed. "You thought you'd ask your question, I'd gleefully answer – and I'm guessing the answer you're looking for is yes – and what...not question you, or voice anything?" She asked while still laughing lightly. "Oh Killian, you do not know me at all!"

"I've noticed how much you like to pick holes actually. I'm not totally oblivious. And yes, I did think for once you wouldn't be awkward and you'd actually answer flat out." He answered shortly, he muttered something and turned on his heels.

Aoife winced as he walked heavily away, it was like he was purposely stomping the wood. Rolling her eyes, she climbed back down and used her stealth to follow after him. Her footsteps were near on silent on the groaning wood of the ship. She gathered she may have irritated or even wounded his ego slightly. "I'd stay." Her voice caused him to jump, he hadn't realised she was following him. Turning on the stairs he looked down at her. Aoife stood normally again, she was walking on her tiptoes for silence. "I like your ship. It's really the only place I've felt at peace and at home." She paused. "I'd like to see where you called home. I'd also love to see other worlds, that's so intriguing." She smiled, she couldn't lie. The prospect of that all was frightening, yet so exciting at the same time.

"In that case," Hook stepped back down and stuck his hand out. Aoife remembered the concept of a handshake and stuck her hand in his. "Welcome aboard, Aoife."

Grinning she let out a happy noise before jumping forwards. "Thank you!" She had wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. Hook accepted the attention and didn't really waste much time embracing her back.

——

(Edited: 21/August/2020)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127 1 12
We never thought we'd end up here, never considered we might lose those we love only to be forced to do something we never wanted to do. You've heard...
11.1K 340 18
hiraeth - a homesickness to a home you cannot return to, or that never was *** As memories of Neverland resurface, a grown-up Wendy decides to once a...
17.4K 465 32
On board of the Jolly Roger, there have always been 2 people fighting for being the Captain. Even if it meant fighting with your own flesh and blood...
1.3K 54 20
The curse in OUAT did not happen. Snow and Charming do raise Emma, but Emma doesn't enjoy her princess life. She was set up to marry Rumplestiskin's...