Leave Out All The Rest

By xXBeckyFoo

Decades after the Golden Trio attended Hogwarts, their children are now on their way to make memories of thei... More

The Beginning of the Journey
Aboard the Hogwarts Express
The American
The Sorting of the New Generation
Tale as Old as Time
The Luckiest Witch of All
Troubled Days
Summer Flowers
Living Room Peeks
Welcome Back
Boy Interrupted
Of Heartbroken Hormones
Voices
A Conflicted Gryffindor
The Fears of Fifth Years
Liar, Liar
Complexity of Emotions
Raging Maternal Instincts
The Breakfast Before
Cheers to Hogsmeade and Hogwarts
Of Hormones and Lies
Surprise: It's a Weasley Christmas
Whispers
Death Wish
Consequences and Broken Promises
Unperceptive Witch
The Pressure of the Moon
Mischief Managed
Unholy Scenes
Revelations of a Cursed Witch
Brunch with the Deceivers
Song as Old as Rhyme
Rhetorical Things
The Potter Legacy
Smooth Talker
Everything
Up
Of All the Things to Love

The Pride and Shame of a Greengrass

5.4K 183 49
By xXBeckyFoo

Chapter Seven: The Pride and Shame of a Greengrass

POV: Liam

The day was going smoothly—which was a complete shock at this point. I mean, I have managed to make it to the last break of the school day without injuring myself, a professor, or another classmate. I gotta say, things are looking up. 

I stretched myself out beneath the shade of a giant oak tree, smiling at the blue sky. Life was good, especially because I had the best person in the world laying beside me. 

"You're so calm," I said to Nia, catching the way her eyes glittered like the shade of the sky above us. "Is it because of my accident-free day?"

She lolled her head to the side, raising a brow at me. I grinned and she laughed. "Okay," she said, "I am happy about that, but I'm more happy that I finally got to spend some time with you. You've forgotten all about me lately."

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow at her. "I see you every day."          

"Is it because I beat you in our flying lesson?" she continued, ignoring me as she raised her voice in a dramatic tone. "Is it because I ate your Chocolate Frog? Is it because I Transfigured you into a rat? Is it because I accidentally blew up the potion in class and now you're too embarrassed to be seen with me?"

Laughing, I reached over to give her shoulder a shove. "Shut it," I said. "If you allow the entire school to see you with my after all my blow-ups, then I'm not ashamed to be seen with you. And, sorry, Nia. I guess I have been spending a lot of time with the lads lately."  

Nia snorted as she sat up, picking up her long, shiny blonde hair to pull into a bun. "The lads I have no problem with. It's Malfoy I don't like. Come off it, Liam. You can tell me; he's the one convincing you not to hang out with me, right? That good-for-nothing prat. I'll show him not to cross—"

"Nia," I cut in, surprised that my tone was firm and my eyes narrowed at her. Mind you, she is the authoritative one in our friendship. It never did bother me that things were that way because they had been that way for so long—ever since our fathers introduced us at the age of four, forcing us to play while they talked business. Nia's word was law and no one ever questioned it. Yet, once in a while, my word was law, too.

Her blue eye became downcast. "I know what you're going to say," she mumbled.

"If you know, why do you insist on making things difficult? It's ridiculous to hate someone for the mistakes his father and yours made. Whatever happened before has nothing to do with you or Scor."

"I know that, Liam!" she snapped, a frustrated puff of air escaping her lips as she gripped the grass at her sides. "Merlin, don't you think I don't know how stupid it is to hate someone for something they had no control over? But I can't help it. Don't you understand? Every time I look at him I'm reminded of my father's anger and that makes me angry, too."

"Look," I said, "I can't justify what my Uncle Draco did in his youth, but you can't justify your father, either. They both made mistakes they have to carry with them for the rest of their lives. I'm sorry, but he is wrong for making you resentful of the Malfoys."

Nia bit her bottom lip (something she often did when she was trying to subdue a scream). Instead, she yanked on the blades of grass, throwing them forward as it they were making a ruckus. Eventually her anger simmered down into a controlled annoyance. Annoyance at herself, no less.

"I hate that I'm supposed to hate him," she whispered to me, not meeting my eye. "I know Scorpius is not at fault for my family losing everything because of Lucius and Draco Malfoy."

"I know," I sighed. "I know your father lost both his parents because of Lucius Malfoy. And I know your father was tormented by my uncle, but it was survival of the fittest. It's terrible, I know, but it was war. Just because they were on the same side did not mean they were loyal to one another."

Nia crossed her arms over her chest, stopping her torture on the poor grass. "I don't know why your uncle told you about this. I hate that you know."

"He knows the Harpers are self-declared enemies to his family. One of the many, too. I suppose he knew what Scorpius would face because of his mistakes. I know it doesn't seem likely, but Uncle Draco wanted me to defend Scorpius, even from my own best friend." 

She bit her lip again. This time it took her longer to find her voice. "Fine," she growled at me, "I suppose I can admit that I possibly could like your cousin if his surname was not Malfoy or mine Harper."

I smiled. "Was that so hard?"

"Like swallowing poison," she grumbled, but there was a twinge of mirth in her blue eyes. She then stood, brushing off grass from her skirt. She pointed a finger at me to say, "You mention this to him and I will give you the worst purple-nurple."

"Worst than last year's?" My hands flew up to my chest. 

"Worse."

I was waiting to see if she was being serious (even if I knew she was), when we were soon invaded by Scorpius, Zabini, Al, and Em. They were dragging Rose in tow.

Arm linked around Rose's (who looked as to be trapped), Emily smiled at us as she said, "We looked in all the wrong places, but we found her eventually."

"What are wrong places?" I asked.

Nia frowned at them, marching over to the two girls, slapping Rose on her left arm. "We were worried about you!" She smacked her again. "You weren't in the dormitory when we woke up or at breakfast or during Potions!" Another smack. "I was terrified the Giant Squid got you!"

"OW!" Rose was not fast enough to dodge another one of Nia's slaps. Emily released her and she scurried off to hide behind Al and Scorpius. "I had a meeting with the Headmistress, for goodness sake!"

Nia glared, crossing her arms when Rose had moved behind a barrier she was not willing to cross. That line was called Scorpius Malfoy. "You could've left a note."

It took people quite a while to warm up to Nia, I knew. She was blunt and aggressive. She was loud and authoritative. A force to be reckoned with. Behind all of that, behind all her fierce courage and unbelievable strength and unwavering determination, she loved harder and more protectively than anyone I knew. Once she called you one of her own, there was nothing she would not do for you.

"Little Rosie Posie is getting bumped up," Al said to us. "She was redoing her schedule with McGonagall to add in advance classes to her term."

Rose stepped away from her cousin and mine once she sensed it was safe enough. "Honestly, it's just two classes. They're hardly difficult. Just Third Year Ancient Runes and Fourth Year Arithmancy."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Aunt Hermione," Al snorted, making Rose glare at him, "but I wasn't aware all First Years had the honor of taking Ancient Runes and Arithmancy."

"You could have," she told him. "Mum offered you lessons, but you preferred to make mud-castles with the rest."

"I was eight!" Al reminded, throwing his arms in the air.

"You deserved that case of Dragon Pox."

It was Al's turn to glare. "You promised you wouldn't tell."

Before Rose could retaliate with a snarky comeback, someone popped up from behind her, covering her eyes.

"Guess who!"

Rose squirmed. "Let go!"

"You have to guess, Rosie, or where's the fun?"

"I'm not three, Freddie," Rose hissed, pinching his side with her free hands. "And you should really stop acting like you are."

Freddie Weasley pulled his hands back from his cousin's eyes, exposing the brown in them once again for everyone to see. "Yeah, right," he huffed. "What do I gain by shoving my nose into a book?"

"Hopefully some knowledge," Rose said tersely. 

Freddie was glaring now. "Sure, let's patronize Freddie to encourage him to read. You know how sensitive he is about not being able to read in his year, so let's just kick him in the testicles."

Rose narrowed her eyes at his choice of words while Al laughed, whispering an 'it's true' to those around him.  

Noticing just now that Freddie had not arrived alone, I clocked in on the blonde one—Louis Weasley—patting his cousin's back. "Don't be hard on yourself, mate," he said. "It's Uncle George you have to blame. Nan warned him about running with a baby in his arms. What was the lesson learned? Beware of slippery floors or else your baby ends up like Freddie Weasley."

I grimaced, thinking Freddie was going to retaliate (these Weasleys had a terrible temper), but instead he blinked, transfixed at his cousin. "Wait...what?" he said slowly. "I'm sorry, Louis, I didn't hear what you said. Your veela eyes bewitched me." 

It was Louis now who glared. "I'm not a veela, dickhead!"

"Don't be ashamed of your heritage," Freddie told him with a leer. "Be proud of your veela blood."

Nia and Emily were now gaping at Louis, jaws slightly hanging open. 

"You're a veela?" Emily murmured.

"Like...You're actually part of those little things that hypnotize people?" Nia asked.

"A nymph, right?" Zabini then added. "Or, no, wait. It's a fairy, right?"

Louis looked instantly outraged. "Don't compare us to those winged freaks!"

"Bit touchy," Freddie said to us, still smirking wide. "Veelas and Fairies have been at war for centuries."

Just as I was beginning to enjoy the spectacle—really, these Weasleys are hysterical—all the laughter died down when James Potter stalked up to our corner, clapping his hand as he glared bloody murder at us.

"Well, well," he drawled. "Now everyone's friends with the Slytherins."

An instant truce was called between Louis and Freddie as they both looked at one another, rolling their eyes.

"Easy, James," Freddie said with a scoff. 

"Yeah," Louis agreed, "Don't get your wand in a knot. Our relationship isn't exclusively with you."

James crossed his arms over his chest. "We were supposed to meet by the greenhouses. You left me hanging for these little idiots?"          

"Don't insult my friends," Al hissed at his brother. "If you can't deal, walk back the way you came from."

"Are you going to make me, Albie?" James took a step forward. Being a few inches taller than Al allowed him to tower over him. "Are you going to summon all your little Death Eater friends and take me out?"

Al shoved James . Freddie went to instantly hold him back, but Al had no intention of being sedated. He flailed his arms as he said, "Is that why you're pissed? Because I'm not following after you like a dog? Because I rather be with them than with you?"

James whipped out his wand. "That's it, Albie—"

"You think you're so tough, don't you?" The last person in our circle I thought would jump up and intervene was Emily, but somehow she was now wedged between a squirming Al and a furious James. She marched over to the latter, something dark in her green eyes that made me wonder what more was there to this girl. 

I  reached over, taking her hand before her nose was smashed up against James'. "Don't," I told her, standing. "He's not worth it."

She gripped my hand, but did not allow me to move her. "What is wrong with you? Albus is your brother—your family, but you're willing to go against that because he's different from you? Why can't you be happy that he is? He's your brother, not your enemy."

We were all surprised James lowered his wand. He and Emily stared at each other, something flashing between them that was underlined by hurt. Eventually, he looked away.

"I'm going to Neville's," he said to Louis and Freddie. "Do whatever you want."

James turned on his heels, stalking away again. When he was far enough, Rose reached out for Al. "He'll come around," she tried to assure him. 

Al scoffed, pulling himself away from Freddie.

"Let's just forget—"

 "Well, that was a bloody beautiful spectacle." Before today's dramatic scene could be done before my break was over, I heard a voice that I wish I could live a life without.

There they were, two tall and identical students. Both with the same black eyes, same brown hair, same evil smirk, and their wands out as their Slytherin-crest glimmered in the sunlight. 

"I'm assuming Potter isn't the only one who's found something extremely wrong with this year's sorting." Both bore their eyes directly into mine, freezing me on my spot.  "Seems like disappointment certainly is running through families this year."

I felt a pang of fear race up my spine. I was so close to an accident-free day.

"Darren and Abel Greengrass." Nia walked to my side instantly, my savior as always. "Fancy seeing you two here. I assumed there was a murky corridor to torture victims in with your names on it."

Abel—the twin that had a more hooked nose—snorted, but looked amused. "Nia Harper. Still playing my cousin's protector, I see."

"More like our cousin's still playing her lap dog," Darren said, looking down on me. "Aren't you, Liam? Always hiding behind her skirts, gripping her leg like she's mummy while she fights your battles." 

Abel pushed Nia a couple of steps back as he got closer to say to me, "Disgrace to the family name, you are." He patted my cheek roughly. "Couldn't be like Scorpius, could you? Always coming in after him."

Not being able to contain the twitch in my neck, I looked  behind my shoulder, noticing a set of blonde hair and silver eyes now on my left side. 

"Picking on First Years, Darren? Really?" Scorpius said. "Doesn't the Care of Magical Creatures professor have any beasts your build to pick on?"

Darren snorted, but Abel said, "He's a disappointment to the Greengrass name, Scorpius. You might have the Malfoy name, but we have ours. We must keep it pure."

"Pure of what?" Nia scoffed. "Idiots? If that's so, you're doing a bloody awful job. You two are still in it."

Abel narrowed his eyes at her, but then Darren laughed darkly. It encouraged Abel to say, "Your mother must be rolling over in her grave, Liam. Surely Pansy Parkinson could not be proud of who she birthed. Look at you, pathetic."

Nia and Scorpius tensed by my side and I felt my heart drop.

No one had mentioned my mother's name in two years. Not since her death. No one was allowed to. Father had forbade anyone to discuss her given that a scandal would break out if the public really knew the reason why she had died (and, hell, did they press and press). No, to the Greengrass family it was like Father never married Pansy Parkinson. They scratched her out of our records, cut her off the branch she shared with my father in our family tree. 

Aunt Daphne said my father was ashamed of my mother, but I knew the truth. Their marriage had been arranged and there was more animosity than any shred of love or affection between the two, but Father did suffer. He hurt because of me. I lost my mother. I lost my mother to something cruel and unforgivable. Still, I was her son. She defended me from my cousins' taunts and told me to embrace what made me different (even if I knew she did not want me to be). She wanted me to grow up and have faith in the same things she did, she wanted me to be just as proud as she was of her blood and join the same circles of proud people, but my father never allowed her lessons of superiority to cloud my innocence. Mother thought him a fool; he was the only Greengrass (aside Aunt Astoria) who did not care about blood purity. He encouraged me to treat the world as an equal and she wanted me to weed them all out. 

Mother wanted me to know my rightful place, but there was no place in the world for supremacists. Not unless it was in a coffin six feet underground. 

"Don't talk about my mother," I said through gritted teeth, looking up at the twins. "Don't you dare."

Darren laughed. "Touchy, aren't you?"

"Mummy issues," said Abel. "He knows Aunt Pansy would have been ashamed of who Uncle Alec raised."

"Like father, like son," Darren sneered. "Stains to our impeccable family tree. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself a mudblood girlfriend just like your father—"

"My father," I hissed, pulling out my wand, "is a great man. I can only hope to be half of who he is, which is more than either of you can say about yours. Who even is the demon that fathered you two? Aunt Daphne has never said."

"Oh!" Freddie gasped loudly from where he stood. "Ten points to the little lion!"

"Shut up," Rose hissed at him, worry underlined in her tone. 

Darren glared as I shifted my wand to his brother. "Put it down," he ordered me. "Put your wand down before you do something you'll regret."

"I won't regret it," I said before shouting, "Furnunculus!"

Abel let out a high-pitched scream when giant, red boils began popping on his face and down his neck. "Darren! Do something!"

Rose looked outraged, moving fast to my side to pull my arm down. "Liam, what did you do? You aren't supposed to use magic outside of a classroom setting!"

"Don't be a buzzkill," Louis laughed, clapping along with Freddie at the commotion the twin Slytherins were causing. "Gotta hand it to them, Freds. These First Years are getting vicious."

Laughing the loudest, the sound like chiming bells, Nia threw her arms around my shoulders, hugging me tightly as she enjoyed the entertainment my cousins were providing. 

"He's going to be in so much trouble," Rose said to anyone that would hear her (no doubt looking for someone to agree with her). "What an idiot!"

"He's brilliant," Scorpius said to her, cheering when a boil on Abel's nose popped and squirted in Darren's eyes. 

The only one who seemed not to be in hysterics (either from laughter or frustration) was Emily. She was by my side again, taking a hold of my hand like I had done for her. She looked up at me, her green eyes beautiful and bright, but with the closest thing to understanding I have never seen in anyone my age. 

"You should be proud," she murmured, "it takes a lot of courage to be someone else than who your family wants you to be."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 57.7K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
9.1K 148 16
*Complete*Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger loathe each other. They will be civil to each other when the hell freezes over. But will a simple game ch...
104K 7.8K 100
When I entered the room, It was pitch dark, but I could see the familiar figure sitting, watching out the window facing his back to me. I turned on t...
1.1M 37.3K 63
π’π“π€π‘π†πˆπ‘π‹ ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 π–π‡πˆπ‚π‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...