The Legacy Of Humanity - A Sp...

By ChiggerDrew

A splatoon story featuring the fall of humanity and the origins of Judd, to the battle of Octovalley and beyo... More

Intro and Authors Notes
Prologue 1 - To reap what is sewn
Prologue 2 - The eternal slumber.
1.1 - The Rookie
1.2 - The Energy Crisis
1.3 - The Battle of OctoValley Part 1
1.4 - The Battle of OctoValley part 2
1.5 - Emergence.
1.6 - The Battle of OctoValley part 3
1.7 - The Battle of OctoValley part 4
2.1 - A Strange Morning.
2.3 - Boiling Point
2.4 - Fossils and Tentacles
Side 1 - The First Mission of Agent 1 & 2
2.5 - Culture Shock
2.6 - Otome Don't Turf
2.7 The Fateful Splatfest
2.8 - Homecoming part 1
2.9 - Homecoming part 2
2.10 - Homecoming part 3
2. 11 - From Eden with Calamari
Side 2 - Intermissions
3.1 - The Omen
3.2 - Turned Colors
3.3 - Unholy Alliance
3.4 - The Storm
3.5 - Paradise Lost
3.6 - The Descent.
3.7 - Revelations
3.8 - One Last Respite.
3.9 - The Day of Hell part 1
3.10 - The Day of Hell part 2
3.11 - The Finale.
Final Side - After Stories
Prequel
Sequel

2.2 - Squid Squads and Octo Tears

2.7K 33 17
By ChiggerDrew

"Are you two ready?" Marie asked. The squid sisters, along with Kirk and Neptune, were about to start their rematch. The other team was ready, and the transport lobby had selected Saltspray Rig as the arena. While Kirk was still feeling nervous, his practice with Neptune gave him enough confidence to keep his cool.

"We're ready to get splattin!" He said. "I just know we'll win this time! We have to!"

Neptune looked at him and smirked. "Just don't go headbutting me if we see any hydra users."

"You're going to keep reminding me about that until the day I die, aren't you?" Kirk responded.

"You expected otherwise?"

"Okay, that's enough," Marie said, trying to get their attention. "I'll be lone sharking today, so you three should probably stick together."

Kirk looked at her, surprised, "Are you sure that's a good idea? A charger with out cover tends to be an easy target."

"That's why I brought this," she responded, and held up a scoped E-Liter. "I'll be fine."

"Just let her do what she wants," Callie said. "Marie has her own way of doing turf war. If you two want to stay with me, we should have no problem inking territory. We already know we can work together, right Kirk?."

"O-of course!" Kirk noticed Callie wink at him, and he became nervous again. Neptune just rolled her eyes.

"Down, boy! And don't forget to land correctly this time!"

"Neptune, you-mgmf!" Kirk wasn't able to finish his retort, as the transport lobby forced the inklings into squid form, and launched them to the arena. The four inklings came down, and reverted to bipedal. The starting signal blew, and Marie immediately took off in a fresh ink trail to the back of the rig.

"Follow me, guys!" Callie shouted, and the trio jumped down to the lower platform. Callie went to work inking, while Kirk and Neptune took position on the stack of crates. Hoping to catch them off guard, 3 enemy Inklings jumped down from their side. Kirk, who already charged his splatling, unloaded on the tentatek, and splatted him in the air. Neptune took out the aerospray, not even bothering to dodge his shots due to her power advantage. As for the blaster, she was rolled over by Callie before she even got a shot off. All three Inklings were sent back to the S.P.A.W.N. Pad.

"That's synergy!" The trio shouted, and high-fived with their weapons.

"Wow, you two have gotten a lot better!" Said Callie.

"Thanks!" Kirk responded. "We spent all night- wait, I saw a charger on their team. Did he go after Marie?"

"Haven't seen anything back here," Marie said over the communicator. "Nice work on that triple, but leave some for me, alright?"

"We should get back to covering turf. I'll lead, but keep an eye out for that charger." Callie started rolling a trail to the center platform, while the other two covered her. When they reached the main ramp, Neptune signaled them to stop.

"Hold up. That charger has clearly been busy, but it bothers me that we haven't seen him yet. Kirk, ink me a trail to the top of those pipes, and I'll-" Neptune was unable to finish her sentence, as a Kraken form came down on her from above. Splatted before she even knew what hit her, Neptune was pulled back to her pad. The Kraken turned it's attention to Kirk, as he tried to slow it down by unloading on it. Unfortunately, his efforts were in vein, and he soon found him self back at his pad for de-splatting. The Kraken form followed the ink trail Callie made, hoping to get a triple splat of his own. Just before turning the corner, a pink Kraken came out, and caught him by surprise. As he was forcefully reverted to his Inkling form, all he could do was wait for the pink Kraken to take him out.

"No one splats my team on my watch!" Callie said, as she reverted back to her normal form. She looked around, and saw the other 3 enemies come out of squid jumps, and land near some beacons the charger had placed before attacking them. The freshly de-splatted Charger jumped in after them, and they all headed to the back platform where Marie was.

"Guys, jump to me. We need to go help Marie!"

"Roger!" They responded, and the automap indicated their squid jumps.

"That isn't necessary," Marie said. Ignoring her, the three Inklings made their way to the center. When they got there, they saw that the entire enemy team was backed up near the middle ramp that separated the two sections.

"I don't know whats going on, but this is our chance to- wait, what the...?" Neptune stopped and pointed. Marie had taken position on the small platform that was suspended by the crane, and was lying prone. The charger attempted use the ramp as cover, and he got close enough to get a lock on her. Just as he fired the shot, the crane came to life, and moved Marie to the right side, causing the shot to miss. Marie, who had expected this, had already adjusted her aim, and took out the charger with ease. As soon as the crane finished moving, the blaster and tentatek attempted to double team her.

Marie took out the blaster first, while the tentatek attempted to create a trail on the crates that would get him in range of the crane. Before he was even halfway up, a second shot from Marie sent him back to his pad. The aerospray, knowing he had no chance, retreated back behind the ramp, and pulled out his automap to call in an ink strike. Marie made no effort to avoid the incoming missile, as the crane moved her back to the left, just before it hit. The shift of vision allowed her to lock on to the head of the last inkling, and splat him.

"That's a quad splat," she said, and made a gesture with a smirk.

"She always has to show off," said Callie, slightly annoyed. "We still got territory to ink. I'll go ink the areas we missed, so can you keep them distracted for a bit?"

"Sure thing!" Kirk responded, and they separated. The enemy team had already de-splatted, and were preparing to jump from their base platform. A burst from Kirk's mini kept them from jumping down, while Neptune guarded the rear. While this managed to buy them a precious few seconds, the tentatek suddenly pulled out an inkzooka, and splatted Kirk before he could move out of the way. This distracted Neptune enough to allow the blaster to change to Kraken form, and land on her.

The enemy team, now free of distractions, jumped down and began reclaiming territory. This was to no avail, as the ending signal sounded, and both teams were recalled to their pads. "I'm getting really tired of these Kraken forms," Neptune said, as they looked at the automaps for the results. It appeared that the time Kirk and Neptune bought Callie, was just enough for her to cover enough territory for a close victory, and the results screen confirmed this. Pink team had won.

"We did it!" The four inklings shouted in celebration. The transport system activated, and the four were sent back to the lobby.

"That was quite a match!" Callie said, excitedly. "Thanks for playing with us. You two were great!"

"R-really? I mean, you and Marie did all the work," Kirk responded.

"D'aw, no need to be modest." The Inklings walked over to the vending machines, and bought some drinks.

"By the way," Marie started. "Do you think you can hang out with us a little longer? We would like your help with something."

Callie turned to look at her. "Are you sure about that?"

"Gramps told us to find a few more, and I think they are good enough." Marie turned back to the pair. "So what do you say?"

"S-sure, I'll help you out!" Kirk said.

"I guess I'm in too," Neptune added.

"Great! Wait for us here, we'll be back in a few minutes." The squid sisters left for the studio, and Neptune turned to face Kirk.

"I have to admit, you did good today," she said.

Kirk was shocked that Neptune actually complimented him, instead of making a joke. "You mean that?" He asked.

"Of course," she responded, and leaned in with a smirk. "Did you see how happy Callie was?" All Kirk could do was look away as his face went red. "Still, I just wish I didn't get jumped by Krakens twice in a row while on T.V."

"What do you mean?" Kirk asked.

"Don't get me wrong. I love the squid sisters too, especially after meeting them." She backed away and her face was serious. "But my goal was to get recruited by a veteran team. After my last squad broke up, I haven't really found a new group I could rely on."

"Well there's nothing wrong with that, I think. I'm sure someone will notice you."

"Thanks, I guess." Their conversation was interrupted, as the squid sisters came back. They had changed their gear to the disguises and army replica weapons.

"Follow us," Marie said, as they looked around to see if they were being watched. They made their way to the pipe that leads to Octovalley. "We are still the same colors, so just follow our ink trail." Callie and Marie shifted forms, and jumped in. Kirk and Neptune looked at each other, nodded, and hopped in after them.

...

After helping Otome climb out the exit hatch, Drake checked his compass to get his bearings. "I think it's hotter today, than it was yesterday," he said, as he wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"Yeah, but you will eventually get used to it. That's one perk of being underground though, not having the sun beating on you," Otome responded as she retrieved her communicator from her side pack. "Otome to Kelly, do you read?" The response from the communicator was nothing but static. "Kelly, are you out there? This is Otome." Still nothing. After changing channels, she tried again.

"Otome to Commander Ophelia. I've lost contact with my team. Please acknowledge." The results were still static. Otome began frantically adjusting the communicator to try and reach someone. "I repeat, this is Corporal Otome Maroon of the Guardian Corps unit forty three. My squad is down, and Lieutenant Kelly is not responding. Someone answer me!" After several minutes of this, Otome finally gave up, and put the communicator away.

"Umm, I don't remember exactly where it was I found you, so I'll have to retrace my steps." Frustrated, Otome just nodded and followed Drake. After walking for about 10 minutes, they reached the place where the escape pod crashed. It still lay half buried in the ground, and looked to be untouched.

"I remember this," Otome said, after being silent for a while. "We stumbled upon it a few hours before the attack. What do you suppose it is?"

"It's an escape pod. One of ours," was all Drake said, as his voice trailed off. Otome noticed this, and looked over.

"Drake, are you okay?"

"It's complicated. I really don't want to talk about it." Otome just nodded in silence, though for some reason, her thoughts went to that picture of the female she saw on his data pad. "Anyway, from here, we have to head towards the city."

Otome looked at the city in the distance. 'Inkopolis, huh? I guess it was just a matter of time.' After walking a while, the two reached the ambush point. However, the sight before them absolutely stunned Drake.

"T-they're gone!" He said with a shocked tone. In the clearing before them, the corpses of the fallen Octolings had completely disappeared, but their uniforms and equipment had been left behind. "What happened to the bodies?"

"What do you mean?" Otome asked. "This is normal. Once we die, our bodies completely dissolve after a day or two. Especially on a hot day like this. Isn't it the same for you?"

"No, it takes days for the decay to start showing. Even then, the skeleton never goes away."

"Ah, right. I forgot you had bones," Otome said, as she mentally smacked herself. She went over to the gear piles, and picked up the ID tags of her teammates. Holding the tags close to her chest, she said a small prayer for them. Drake noticed the similarities to a human prayer, and looked at her. "I suppose that must have looked silly to you. Octarians are taught not to think about life after death, but I would like to think there is more to life than just killing and breeding."

"I don't think it's silly it all," Drake responded in a soft voice, and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I can't really say if I believe either way, but after-life or not, they deserve some respect."

"Y-yeah, thanks," she said, and looked at the tags. "Okha was quiet and aloof, but was always someone you could count on. Kira was one of the sweetest girls I've ever known. All she wanted was to end the fighting, and for both races to get along."

By this time, her soldier persona had completely broken, and she gripped the tags tightly. Drake saw several tears fall from her face. He stood there, giving Otome the time she needed while keeping his hand on her shoulder. After a few minutes, Otome straightened herself out, put the tags in her side pack, and walked over to retrieve her octoshot. Once she made sure it wasn't damaged, Otome hooked it up with her ink tank and turned back to Drake. "This whole operation seemed fishy from the get go. I swear, if I find out who set us up, there will be hell to pay! Even if it was someone from our side."

"That's a dangerous path to tread. I understand you want to see justice served, but don't let it consume you," Drake responded.

"I'll be careful. For now, can you help me look for Kelly? She might still be alive." The two spread out, and began searching the general area. Otome tried the communicator a few times, but still only got static. After an hour of searching, all they found were a few land shark corpses. "I couldn't find her gear anywhere. I know she's still out there, but I can't spare any more time," Otome said, as she kicked one of the pack hunters in anger.

"What do you mean?" Drake asked.

"If someone doesn't check in by tonight, they will assume we were killed or captured by the Inklings. If that happens, they may allow the Mariners to carry out their plans, and there will be no stopping another war. If the communicator was working, then it wouldn't be a problem. Something must be jamming the signal."

"Then what do we do?"

"I can't go back and report in person. Even IF I get back across the border, It will be too late by then. Which leaves me with only one choice." Otome turned to the city. "I'll have to go to Inkopolis, and hope I run into someone that will listen to reason."

Drake also turned to look at the city. "Well, we still got a ways to go. Shall we get a move on?"

"About that." Otome turned back to Drake, and removed her goggles. "Drake, I really appreciate what you have done for me. You saved my life, showed me a lot of interesting things, and fulfilled my lifelong dream of meeting the elder race. But I think it's time we part ways."

Drake was startled by this. "What? Why? Was it something I said?"

"N-no, of course not! But if you stay with me and things go bad, I could end up dragging you into our problems. You're whole race could get dragged in, if we go to war! I've lost enough friends as it is!"

"Which is why we need to make sure that doesn't happen. Besides, I didn't save you just to abandon you later. Like it or not, you're my responsibility until you get home."

"I-I see. Thanks, Drake," she said, and put the goggles back on. "Just don't blame me if we get splatted."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he responded. The duo began their 40 minute walk to Inkopolis.

....

After watching the Squid Sisters special match at the plaza cafe, Shara was slowly eating her cake that Levin talked her into getting. As she took another bite, she mentally kicked herself for giving in. The cake was excellent, but that was the problem. If this became a habit, she would end up gaining extra weight that would only slow her down in a turf war.

"Told you these cakes are the bomb!" Levin said, as he finished his. When he heard that Shara had never actually been to the cafe, he insisted on having cakes, and practically dragged her inside.

"Yeah, they are," Shara said begrudgingly, as she took another bite. "I just wish they weren't so pricey."

"True. Because of the prices, I haven't really been able to come here since my dad was drafted."

"What about your mom?" Asked Shara.

"Oh, well she was a cop. Since she had actual fighting experience, she ended up being one of the first ones to get called in. Been living alone for the last month," Levin responded, and took a sip of his cola.

Shara thought of responding, 'so you're just like me', but decided to change the subject. "That was quite a match, though. For a minute, I thought they were going to lose."

"Yeah, but did you see Marie's quad splat? That was awesome!"

"They aren't part of 'you know what' for nothing. Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see that crane trick be adopted by other teams."

Levin suddenly started laughing. "I'll bet you that Frost will be the first. I can just see him dragging his team out for 'emergency' practice, and forcing Citra to do that." Levin took another sip from his drink. "After he finishes watching the recording thirty times, that is."

Shara laughed a little as well. As she finished her cake, her squid phone started to ring. "Hello?" She said, not recognizing the number.

"Agent 4?" The voice said.

Shara looked around, and spoke as quietly as she could. "What is it, Agent 2?"

"Can you come to Octovalley? Gramps has something he wants to discuss with you."

"We're in the plaza now. Agent 3 is with me, and we were already planning on checking in with him. We'll be there shortly."

"Really? Thanks, Agent 4. We'll see you in a bit," she said, and the call ended. Levin followed Shara to the pipe leading to Octovalley, and the two looked around to make sure they weren't being watched. Shara switched on her ink tank, and Levin changed his color to match her.

As they exited the pipe, the pair went over to cuttlefish's shack. Callie waved as they came into view. "So what's this about?" Shara asked. "Does this have something to do with the morning news report?"

"Aye, Bucko!" Cuttlefish responded. "If that creature was an Octarian, and it's been getting inside the city, then we need to find it pronto. Although I doubt it's still in the city, since nobody has come forth with any information."

Just then, Shara heard the sound of the shack's door open and close, causing her to jump. "Wait, who else is here?"

"Ah, that would be the other thing I wanted to tell you about." Cuttlefish said, as the pair went to the other side of the shack. As she rounded the corner, she was met with the familiar face of Kirk, who had just changed into an army uniform replica. "Agent 3, Agent 4, meet 5 and 6, your new squad mates," said the old Inkling as he rested against his cane. "Though I hear you are already familiar with each other."

"Oh, hey! It's the guys from the concert! When they told us about the ordeal with Octavio, I had a feeling it was you!" He said, as he enthusiastically shook Levin and Shara's hands. "Umm, Neptune is.." They looked around, and spotted her by Octavio's prison, already in a uniform. She was making faces at the DJ, who responded with a rather rude gesture. Kirk yelled at her, and she made her way back to the group.

"So, are they the ones who are going to be training us?" She asked.

"Wait, training?" Levin and Shara looked at each other, then turned to the squid sisters.

"We figured that they would be better off working with you," Marie said. "They have plenty of turf war experience, but you two have actual field work under your belts."

Cuttlefish thought for a minute. "Right, so we don't we pair 3 with 6, and 5 can go with 4."

Neptune turned to Levin, and put on her puppy dog eyes. "Are you going to teach me something good, big brother?"

"Wha? What?" Was all Levin could get out, as he stumbled and tried to hide his red face.

"NEPTUNE!" Kirk yelled. She stuck out her tongue, and took off running. Shara watched Kirk try to catch her, but she was too fast for him. "Enough with your stupid jokes!" He yelled, as they did a lap around the shack. Cuttlefish sighed, and slammed his cane down.

"AGENTS! ATTENTION!" Both Inklings came to a crashing halt, and stood up. Since Levin and Shara had already experienced this, they simply stood in silence.

"Careful gramps, you could rupture a-" A sharp glance from Cuttlefish shut Callie up before she could finish.

"Now then. Your objective is to find out any information you can about the strange creature. 3 and 6, I want you two to check the city. Find out if any one saw anything."

"You got it," Levin said, as he and Neptune changed colors, and left for Inkopolis via the pipe.

"As for the rest of you, I want you to check the area surrounding the city. I found a transport kettle that will take you to the nearby forest," Cuttlefish said, as he marked the kettle on their automaps.

"Do you think the creature used the kettle to get into the city?" Shara asked.

"I don't think so. I would have seen it if that was the case. But it will be a good starting point, and you can use it to get back here quick if things get bad. Which reminds me, If you see any Octarians, try not to engage. Remember you have rookies with you." Cuttlefish paused for a moment. "That goes for you too," he said over the communicator.

"Don't worry. Big brother won't let anything happen!" Neptune responded, and Shara swore that she heard Levin fall, and Kirk facepalm. Shara rolled her eyes, and Callie motioned the group to follow her.

"Shall we get to work?"

After changing colors to match each other, the group hopped into the kettle, and were shot to Inkopolis forest. Upon exiting, Shara helped Kirk stay on his feat, as he was clearly dazed. "When did they find the time to dig these tunnels so close to the city?" She asked.

"No idea, but we destroyed the tunnels that lead to Kelp Dome and the old skate park," Marie responded. "We should probably close this one off too, at some point."

Callie looked around. They were just outside the city walls. "We can probably cover more ground if we split up. Call us on the communicator if you find anything."

Shara nodded in response, and the two agents went their own way. She turned to Kirk. "Are you okay to walk?"

"Yeah, I'm okay now. That was quite a ride."

"Don't worry about it. Levin and I, were like that the first time we used one." Shara started walking ahead, while Kirk watched her back, splatling at the ready. After searching the forest for a while, Marie's voice could be heard on their communicator head sets.

"We haven't seen anything on our end. How does it look for you?"

"Nothing here," Shara responded. "I think that maybe we should-" her voice trailed off, as she noticed movement in the trees.

"I didn't catch that. Agent 4, what's going on?"

"Something is moving. I can't quite tell- shit! Octotrooper!" Shara dove down to avoid being spotted.

"We're on our way! Stay- " The communicator suddenly went silent, and only static could be heard. The assault platform was putting distance between them, and Shara didn't have time to worry about the static.

"Kirk, we need to follow him, but stay out of sight!" She said, but Kirk didn't respond.

"Hey, you hear me?" She turned back to see why he didn't respond, but the answer was immediately apparent. Kirk had completely disappeared.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 396 29
(new story cover) DISCLAIMER : this story does not include harem in it . SUMMARY : the story of a human surviving the rising water that brought huma...
37.2K 402 14
GO TO THE NEW REMASTERED VERSION ON MY @QueenVeemo_Olivia ACCOUNT!!!!! THIS VERSION IS CANCELED!!! SO PLEASE STOP ADDING THIS STORY IN YOUR READING L...
2.2K 64 10
war... its what led humanity to its downfall, with only a couple humans surviving the mass extinction. one of those humans being none other than y/n...
4K 212 38
Betrayed, stranded, and hunted by hungry fish-like creatures known as Salmonids. This is the predicament Akikta, the last living human, finds himself...