Reach for the stars [Martin G...

By somewherehlse

After Noelle and her family move to Amsterdam, she feels like her life will change. Prestigious school, new p... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
11.5
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
Epilogue

8

784 28 25
By somewherehlse

Chapter 8

Amstelveen

16:44

Noelle's phone rang, so she got up from her bed, putting her laptop aside. Picking it up, she quickly unlocked it and tapped on the notification. It turned out to be Martijn, texting her privately, instead of the group chat, because most of her notifications were always from that group chat.

It was rainy outside. The harsh wind was blowing outside, making the bare branches of tall tress creak from every movement. No wonder the weather was cold, Christmas was getting closer and closer with every day and there was only less than a week left until it.

Noelle's room was decorated with Christmas lights and a small Christmas tree standing in the corner with tiny ornaments, giving her room Christmas spirit. It looked really cute, especially when there wasn't much light, like today. Noelle liked decorating for Christmas, because it was fun and she enjoyed it - taking out all of the ornaments from the box and arranging them.

Martin: Hey

Noelle: Hi, what's up?

Martin: Are you free today's evening?

Noelle: Yes

Martin: Good, because there's a party, to which I want to go to with you. I'll pick you up at 9.

Noelle: Okay, sure

Noelle smiled at her phone, looking at the time. It was five, but since the weather was not the best, she couldn't do a run. Instead, she decided to simply lie in her bed and watch random TV series. Putting her laptop on her knees, she browsed through the TV shows.

She felt, like she watched everything she liked already, so she decided to re-watch some of her most favourite episodes, just to make time pass faster. Although she didn't quite like parties, Martijn was going to be with her, as well as Ines, Francis' girlfriend.

Ines and Francis have been dating for a very long time - something like two years already. Noelle thought, that they were a very cute couple and matched each other perfectly. They were on of the least couples, that didn't look fake or wrong together - everything in their relationship was perfect.

Noelle thought Ines was funny and interesting, because the two girls spent quite a lot of time together, since Francis first introduced them to each other. It was when Martijn, Julian, Francis and Noelle, of course, decided to go to the movies together and Francis said, that he will bring his girlfriend.

At first, everyone thought, that this is going to be a disaster, but Noelle and Ines became good friends and are pretty much inseparable now. However, Ines doesn't attend Herman Brood Academy. She told Noelle, that she had no music talent and didn't want a career in music at all.

Staring at the laptop screen, Noelle got bored really fast. Re-watching old episodes turned out to be boring, but she left them on, taking her phone and texting in their group chat, with Ines included.

Noelle: Hello!

Ines: Hey :)

Lucas: What's up?

Ines: Noelle, are you going to the party today?

Martijn: Yep

Ines: The last time I saw you, you didn't quite reply to the name Noelle, Martijn. I guess, a lot of things changed since then.

Martijn: I just know.

Ines: You're creepy.

Noelle: It's true. I'm going to the party, with him.

Lucas: Ooh, I told you I ship this.

Noelle: Shut up, Lucas.

Francis: Guys, why are you making my phone blow up. I was taking a nap!

Lucas: Not shutting up ever from now on.

Noelle: I hate you.

Lucas: Aaw, that's cute, but unfortunately, I don't ship us.

Martijn: We all know that, Lucas.

Noelle: We all know what? I don't think I know that.

Lucas: You don't because I never told you.

Ines: Told her what? Why don't I know?

Martijn: Wait for it, wait for it.

Francis: Dun dun duuuun!

Julian: What's up, everyone?

Martijn: Damn it, Julian. Why did you have to ruin the moment?

Julian: Because I can.

Lucas: Shut up, you two. You are always arguing, like an unstable couple or something.

Francis: What if they secretly are a couple?

Ines: Dun dun duuuun!

Noelle: You guys are not telling us something.

Julian: Last time I checked, I was straight.

Francis: And when was this last time?

Julian: Good question...

Martijn: Well, this took an unexpected turn. Come on, Lucas, tell us whatever you wanted to say.

Lucas: I never wanted to say anything.

Julian: Yes you did, you little shit.

Noelle: Yes you did.

Lucas: I don't remember what I wanted to say.

Martijn: Oh, fuck you.

Ines: Bye guys, I'm gonna get ready. See you.

Noelle: See you. Gonna get ready as well.

Getting up, Noelle opened YouTube, searching for Tiesto, one of her favourite EDM DJs, introduced to her by Martijn and Julian. Dancing to the beats, she headed to the shower. Stepping inside, she switched on the water and washed her hair, pretending to sing with the song.

After that, she blow-dried her hair, straightening it and putting only half of it in a high ponytail. She then exited the bathroom and went straight to her dresser, while still in her towel, to search for something to wear. She wanted to wear something normal and not to overdress.

Instead of wearing a dress or a skirt, like normal girls would to a party, she took out her light-washed, boyfriend jeans, setting them on the bed. For the top, she wore a plain white t-shirt and a huge, oversized pullover, that was white, but had pink sleeves and a print on the back, with the word girls in pink.

For shoes, she wore white converse, because they were the most comfortable shoes she had, except for the trainers, but she didn't want to wear them. Taking her phone, wallet, spare keys and a hair-tie, she put them inside her beige, leather bag, that had a long strap.

Closing her laptop, she exited the room, closing the door behind her. As she walked down the stairs, she bumped into her mother, who looked like she just came home from work.

"Hey, mom," Noelle quickly said, sliding past her.

"Hi, darling," Elena replied, smiling at Noelle. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, I am going to a party with a friend," Noelle replied, opening the door and being greeted by a huge wave of hard rain. She quickly closed the door, staring at it in shock. She didn't quite expect it to rain that hard. It probably got harder, while she was getting ready, because she was listening to loud music.

"Have fun," Elena smiled at her, walking up the stairs. Noelle nodded and sat on a small stool near the door, waiting for Martijn to text her, because waiting outside would mean getting pneumonia and having a light shower.

Minutes passed, but he didn't text her. Staring at the clock, that hung on the wall, she worried if something might have happened. It was already nine twenty, but he still wasn't there. He didn't even call her, to tell her, that he was late.

Deciding, that it would be best, if she called him, Noelle found his number and pressed call. Listening to all of the beeping and the buzzing, Noelle tapped her nail against the side of the wooden stool. She only realised after a few moments, that this was the rhythm to their song.

After a few seconds, he finally picked up and she exhaled in relief.

"Martijn, hey," she said into her phone, her eyes on the clock.

"Don't say anything," he replied and she could feel him smirking, even without seeing his face, "I'm nearly there."

"Okay," Noelle exhaled from relief again, smiling to herself. "Where are you now?"

"Turning to your street," he commented. She could hear music playing in the background, probably on the radio of his car. "Okay, I'm here."

"Coming," Noelle said, cutting the call and opening the door. She saw his car just opposite her door, which she was thankful for - she wasn't willing to have a shower for the second time. Shutting the door behind her, she ran quickly, opening the door and literally jumping inside as fast as she could.

Turning to Martijn, she saw him chuckling at her and smiling.

"What's so funny?" She furrowed her eyebrows, pretending to look offended.

"The way you got into the car," Martijn answered, turning the ignition key. The car he owned wasn't very large, but it was extremely comfortable inside, as well as very tidy.

"Well, I dare you to get out right now and run a circle around the car," Noelle chuckled, while Martijn focused on the road, holding the stirring wheel, "and then we'll see if you can get inside, without me laughing."

"Okay, okay," Martijn chuckled and Noelle smiled.

"Wait, are you allowed to drive?" Noelle asked Martijn, whose eyes were completely focused on the road.

"I have a license*," Martijn responded, picking it up from the drinks holder and giving it to Noelle. "It's not that far anyway. It's about fifteen minutes."

*(A/N: At that moment, Martijn was 16, but you are allowed to get a license, when you are 17 in the Netherlands, so since it's a work of fiction anyway, we'll pretend, that you could get one at 16.)

"Oh, okay," Noelle nodded, looking out of the window. The rain calmed down a bit, becoming only a light drizzle. Streetlights we reflected in the wet road, making everything seem even more lit up.

The ride was not that long - Martijn was right. Pulling over next to a large house, Martijn took the ignition key out and opened the door, exiting quickly. Noelle did the same and both of them quickly ran inside the house.

It was a large house, decorated lavishly. There were Christmas lights everywhere, as well as a giant Christmas tree standing right in the front corridor. The ornaments decorating it looked very expensive and beautiful.

"Hey, guys," Francis welcomed them and Noelle smiled at him.

"Hi, Francis," Noelle replied, looking around. "It's so beautiful in here."

"Well, say thanks to my parents," Francis said and Noelle chuckled softly.

"Who's DJing?" Martijn asked, looking around.

"Julian," Francis answered, turning around and pointing at a set up DJ table, where Julian was bobbing his head to the beats, while wearing headphones and turning some knobs on the CDJs.

"Noelle!" Somebody exclaimed from behind her back and she didn't hesitate to turn around. It was Ines, looking very excited and happy. Unlike Noelle, she wore a silver, pleated skirt, that nearly reached her ankles; a plain, white t-shirt and white slip-on shoes. She curled her shoulder-long, light-chestnut hair, giving it more volume.

"Hey!" Noelle shouted back, smiling at her and they embraced each other in a hug.

"You look stunning," Ines said, smiling and observing Noelle's outfit.

"Says who," Noelle replied and both of the girls chuckled. While they were chatting, Martijn headed to the DJ table, to greet Julian. There was a lot of people on the set-up dance floor, so it took Martijn a while to push through different people, that he didn't even know.

Finally coming up to the DJ table, he smirked at Julain, who was completely immersed in the art of mixing songs.

"Julian," he shouted loudly, so that his friend could hear him. Taking his headphones off, Julian raised one eyebrow.

"What do you want?" He asked, smirking and turning some knobs.

"Hi," Martijn said, smirking back and taking the headphones from him, listening to the song, that Julian wanted to play.

"Hi," Julian mouthed to Martijn, who was already inside his own bubble of energy - of sound, of music and the beats. Turning some knobs, he slowly switched on the next song, mixing it with the current track, syncing the beats and gradually turning up its volume.

Taking the headphones off, he eyed the crowd, searching for Noelle, who as standing with Ines just at the back, swaying to the sound and laughing to something, that Ines was telling her. It made him smile. She was happy and she enjoyed it, even if it was just a tiny bit.

"Nice song," Julian commented, turning more knobs. "By the way, did Noelle come?"

"Yeah, she's just in the back of the crowd," Martijn replied, taking the headphones.

"You know what," Julian smirked, not letting Martijn put the headphones on, "you look a lot into her. Are you?"

Martijn shrugged, putting the headphones on, blocking off the world. He didn't know if he was into Noelle or if it was just affection. Maybe, it was just his caring nature, that he cared about people, that he liked, however that was the point - did he actually like her?

He knew, that he liked her, a lot. He liked her beautiful face, that he would see everyday at school and every single lunch break. He liked her voice, that he would sometimes hear, passing through the halls just to hear it, when she sang at vocal. He liked her personality - the way she was kind and caring and always happy.

Looking at her, he actually wondered if that was true, but deep inside, right in the back of his mind, he knew it was. That little, quiet voice, in the darkest corner of his brain, told him, that it was true. It was his mind, his brain, sending signals through his nervous system. He knew it was true, because of the things, that he would feel, every time he saw her.

However, did she feel the same for him?

Noelle was having a lot of fun, especially with Ines. They were talking about random things, joking about the boys and mocking anyone, that passed by. After a few minutes, Ines left to chat to Francis. Standing at the back of the crowd, alone, she looked at Martijn, who was standing near Julian, turning knobs.

People enjoyed it so far, at least that's how most of them looked - drunk, happy and carefree. Since Noelle wasn't drunk and didn't plan on getting, she observed the crowd as usual. Of course, most of the people she knew already, because of school. Others were all new faces, but she didn't care.

Keeping her gaze on Martijn, she remembered their song. They've been working so hard on it, but there still wasn't much progress made. It was all done little by little. They sometimes would even fall behind, but that didn't last for long. Sometimes, they would make mistakes, but fortunately, one of them will correct it.

The lyrics were not finished yet and as easy as it might seem for one, it wasn't that easy for them, especially when both of them were writing them. It might have seemed easy for one person to write them - just grab a piece of paper and write down rhyming words, that suit the melody. That's what most people don't understand in music.

Noelle wondered, if there was something about Martijn, that she liked more, than in other people. Of course, he seemed a bit more talented, than the others and he could act very mature, if that was required. However, when he was with friends, he was a totally different person.

He was funny and could make anyone laugh fast. He was also caring about the others - a quality, that Noelle thought was one of the most important in people. Most of all, he was very ambitious, just like her. He never told her, that he wants to stop or to leave their song, although it has only gotten harder and harder.

That voice in her mind only told her, that she liked him and it was probably true, no matter how hard she would deny it. It was true, that she had feeling for him, although she never noticed them. She just ignored them all, like that annoying pain, when you have a light headache.

These feeling were not annoying or painful. They were greater than pleasant and a lot less painful. They were probably a lot easier to ignore, since they felt good.

Suddenly, she heard a familiar male voice, that made her snap out of her thoughts instantly, "Hey."

"Hey," she replied, smiling. The familiar male voice was Lucas' and she was grateful, that somebody came to keep her some company.

"You liking the party so far?" He asked, smiling and flashing his perfectly straight teeth.

"Yeah, it's nice," Noelle answered, looking around. She didn't really like parties, but this one was a bit better, than the last one.

"You looked so lonely," Lucas smiled and Noelle did the same, "while staring constantly at Martijn."

This caught Noelle off-guard, but she didn't hesitate to reply, "Just thinking about things."

"More like thinking about him," Lucas mocked, smirking.

"Shut up, Lucas."

"Looks like someone's in love and you know what-"

"Please don't say," Noelle interrupted, the corners of her lips slowly rising, "that you ship this."

"I do, indeed."

"Ugh, why do you make me want to hate you so much?"

"I don't know. That's a very good question."

He laughed, but Noelle didn't, keeping a very serious look on her face.

"It wasn't funny," she said.

"But, seriously," Lucas began, observing the crowd, "do you like him?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"You look like you want to tell somebody, just do it."

"Go away, Lucas," Noelle groaned, turning around and pretending to leave. "You are annoying."

"Thanks for the compliment," Lucas replied, smirking. He didn't look one single bit offended. "Appreciate it."

"I would as well, if you stop annoying me."

"Hey, guys," somebody said, coming from behind. It turned out to be Martijn and Noelle exhaled in relief, because she didn't want to stay here alone with Lucas.

"Hi," Noelle said, smiling at Martijn. "Is Julian coming down?"

"Nah," Martijn responded, eyeing Lucas, who looked extremely excited, "he likes it there."

"Oh, my friend is calling me," Lucas suddenly exclaimed, looking into the crowd. Before leaving, he winked at Noelle, smirking.

For a single moment, both of them were completely in their thoughts, not saying anything and just being silent. Noelle knew, that Lucas knew about her feelings for him. She was too obvious, but didn't really care about it - as long as he won't tell anybody,

"Do you want to go outside?" Martijn asked. "I think the rain stopped and it's too hot here."

"Sure," Noelle replied and they headed outside, pushing through the large crowd of dancing teenagers and manoeuvring their way to the front door. Martijn opened it, letting Noelle outside first.

It was cold outside, but much better than inside, where drunk and sweaty teenagers were crammed in one room, brushing against each other, making it hotter, than it seemed. The cold air caressed their faces, making their cheeks look pinker.

They sat down on the steps, that led to the terrace, looking at the empty road opposite the house, which was only filled with cars. There was a light, cool breeze and the rain stopped, making everything quiet, but wet.

"I wanted to tell you something," Martijn said, looking right into Noelle's eyes. His grey eyes seemed to pierce her green-grey ones, making it seem like they were secretly playing the staring game with each other.

"I love you," he said and just in one moment, Noelle felt something fireworks go off inside her - it happened, it's true. Closing her eyes, she smiled, feeling his lips on hers. It was too good - he was too good.

It felt amazing, like she was finally set free from a metal cage of her own thoughts and her feelings would finally be thought as real. She wouldn't have to lie to herself anymore about them, would't have to try to keep them away.

His hand were on his waist and hers were around his neck. It was only them in this moment - the two lovers, hidden away from the others in their own world. For them, the time stopped just in this moment, which they shared together.

The cold, that both of them felt just a few seconds ago vanished. For them, it wasn't cold outside anymore, while adrenaline and passion flowed through their veins like a drug. They would be addicted to the feeling, but they didn't care.

His lips were fiery and his breath was hot and she loved it. She loved feeling his arms around her waist, holding her, feeling his touch against her body. She loved his scent - cologne and something more. Something like cinnamon or that smell of freshness in the morning, after a whole night of raining.

"I love you too," she exhaled, when they pulled away from each other.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 97 58
Mia comes to Amsterdam and meets there the badboy Martijn, who seems he's not nice at all. But when she came behind his secret and why he behave like...
2.7K 132 60
Meet Martijn and Celeste Garritsen, two guys with such cheerful, happy personalities. With such golden, kind, lovely mild hearts. But everything will...
24.2K 161 100
An story that goes on, 1.5 year later and look what happend... - don't copy - Englisch
13.6K 59 150
Instagram story where an actrice falls in love with a dj