Higher

By Midnightalready

Although orphaned at an early age, caused so much trouble for anyone who knew her, and was always moving onto... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Author's Note

Chapter 7

133 3 4
By Midnightalready

Before the meet and greet with Jason's mate I decided that Theo not shifting was a problem that needed to be solved.

So that led to the two of us in the middle of the forest trying to force a shift.

"Alright, maggot, you need to figure your shit out soon otherwise we are going to be late for the meet and greet and the good food will all be gone." I yelled, trying to impersonate a drill sergeant.

We had been out here for 2 hours with no success. Theo was past frustrated and angry but now at the level where he said nothing and would sit for minutes just staring at me.

I had only a few ideas of how to make him shift. All of which didn't work. My first was just trying to get him to go slowly instead of expecting a full shift. That obviously was a fail. Then I hoped I could use a sense of danger to get a response so I attacked him but that was a bust since we just made out instead of fighting.

After many, many fails of forcing the shift I just wanted to stop and go meet Jason's mate.

I laid down in the grass next to him,  I watched his face and knew exactly what he was feeling.

"Do you know what I think?" I asked, pulling grass up with my fingers and playing with it.

Theo didn't answer but I knew he was listening so I continued.

"I think you are blocking something. Whatever you're suppressing is affecting your connection within yourself. That's why you can't shift."

He made no indication that I was right or wrong. Perhaps he already knew what was happening and why.

Theo sighed before getting up and wiping the dirt off his pants. He held out a hand for me and when I was upright he kept hold of me.

"You can tell me what is bothering you, you know. I'm right here." I said softly, feeling him bringing me closer before stopping right before kissing me.

He rested his forehead on mine for a few seconds before kissing my head and walking away.

I knew I shouldn't be surprised that he didn't want to talk, I knew that even though he had shared before he wasn't always going too, I knew that being involved with him wasn't going to be easy... I knew all this yet I was still hurt when he chose to block me out.

When my past came back, I handled it right away and explained it all to him. That wasn't easy, I had so many fears about everything but I sucked it up cause I wanted this to work. I wanted to never have to hide anything from him.

I guess things like that are sometimes only one sided.

Taking a deep breath, I started to walk slowly as I followed him out of the forest and to the meet and greet. Maybe seeing Marie would make me feel better about this whole mate thing.

Or just jealous at how easily Marie and Henry showed affection towards each other, how open they were with each other.

Maybe I'll just go for a little and then leave.

Clearly, I need some time to myself.

************************************************************************************

"Hayden! Oh my god, have you met Jason's mate? She is gorgeous and so nice and I'm so excited for her to be with us!" Marie found me as soon as I stepped foot in the grounds of the event.

It was agreed that the place for the get together was going to be the park that had a Museum within its grounds that could hold events where food was served.

"I just got here, no I haven't met her." I laughed before noticing Lilly in Marie's arms. I grinned at her and made a silly face which she laughed cutely at before hiding her face.

"Well follow me, you need to met her."

Marie used her free arm to drag me to where Jason and his mate were. I didn't even know her name.

I think it started with an "A" but I wasn't sure.

Jason smiled at us before looking at his mate beside him. She was indeed gorgeous. Blonde, big blue eyes and taller then me but still a little shorter than Jason.

"Hayden, this is Ariana." She held out a hand and smiled. Shaking it I introduced myself as Theo's mate.

She seemed surprised but didn't comment. Quickly, Ariana complimented my dress and I said hers was quite beautiful too.

After a few seconds of girl talk between the three of us, and Jason just listening in, I saw Theo across the park speaking with Mason.

He caught my eye, looked me up and down, before returning to his conversation.

Nothing. Absolutely nothing from him.

He didn't even want to ride in the same car as me. He left before I was ready to go, not saying anything to me about leaving nor talking at all really.

To say I was angry was an understatement. I was furious he was acting like I didn't exist. I was sort of over him not telling me what was bothering him but I could not accept the whole ignoring thing.

Normally he would make sort of indication or response but this was like he was completely blocking himself off from me.

Maybe I was over reacting, it had just been two hours since our last conversation. Deciding that I was probably just being crazy I walked over to Theo and Mason.

"I'll just be right back." I told the girls and Jason before trying not to storm my way over to Theo.

"Hey, do you know where they put the macaroni salad? Its not on the table." I made up the excuse to come over since I didn't really want to just awkwardly stand there while they were talking. I hadn't actually looked at the food table yet.

There was a moment of awkward silence before Mason answered. "I think it might be in the kitchen if its not on the table."

It was obvious that my question was directed to Theo but he was not answering, not even looking at me.

Theo just stared straight with his jaw clenched.

I narrowed my eyes at Theo's turned head before smiling at Mason. "Thanks."

As I walked away I glared at Theo some more and though he didn't see it I knew Mason did.

Angrily I marched my way to the food table and shoveled food onto my plate.

What even is his problem?

Why is he ignoring me?

What did I do?

Is he mad at me?

Thinking back on everything I could have done to piss him off I couldn't find a real reason for him to stop talking to me or stop acknowledging me.

What the literal fuck was his problem?

Siting myself outside and away from everyone I decided that the best way to deal with my anger was to stab my plate a little too forcefully when picking up any food.

"Wow, I wouldn't want  to be whoever made you so angry you started murdering roast beef."

Looking up I saw Zero sit down beside me and happily eat his meal.

"Decided to stay?" I asked, putting my fork down and just leaning back on my hands in the grass.

"For the most part, might leave one day." He smiled at me, "I like it here. Though the Wilson's are fucking insane."

Laughing, I agreed with him and told him of the time they freaked out at me for putting my dish in the sink instead of the dishwasher. I thought they would kick me out they were so angry.

Feeling someone looking at me, I made eye contact with Theo before he quickly looked away and back to Mason.

My foul mood returned once I was reminded of Theo. That fucker was so confusing sometimes.

"Mate troubles?" Zero asked, putting food in his mouth and continuing to talk, "I would have troubles too, Theo scares the shit out of me."

I was able to smile at his comment but I knew that he noticed how down I was about Theo. I had passed the anger stage and now was just sad and confused.

"Maybe you should talk to him?" Zero suggested as he still had food in is mouth. "He keeps looking over here, so..."

I shrugged, maybe Theo was just making sure I wasn't dying. Clearly it wasn't because he needed to speak to me.

"Fine." I huffed before walking over the garbage can and throwing my plate out. Theo was now alone and just sitting on the side of the area. He wasn't talking to Mason anymore so now would be the perfect time to get his attention.I doubt anyone else would come talk to him anyways.

I was half way through the park before I was stopped by Marie.

"Hey can you hold her? I need to use the bathroom and I can't find Henry."

Reluctantly I held Lilly before trying to find Theo again. Though having Lilly in my arms during a serious conversation wasn't ideal I would just have to be okay with it.

Once I realized that Theo had been dragged by Mason into the Museum, I gave up. I'll just talk to him after this.

Sitting down in the grass I played with Lilly. She really liked eating grass and it was almost impossible for her to stop.

"No, grass is not for eating. You don't eat grass." I tried to explain to her but she just laughed and continued her eating.

Hearing a loud noise I realized it was a scream and quickly looked towards the source.

Right in the entrance of the Museum was the Asura from a few days ago. The difference was that it was blood red instead of white.

It laughed before it started to grow larger and larger.
Fire came out of it's finger tips and touched the sides of the building.

I now stood, with Lilly firmly planted at my side, in shock as the Museum caught fire and the Asura laughed even louder.

In the windows I saw Theo and Mason watching the scene unfold, everyone watched the Asura as it grew larger and larger.

"Fucking concepts." Was all I was able to say before the Asura screamed again and blew up the entire building.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8M 139K 56
Lauren is in trouble. BIG trouble. She found her mate - and he ISN'T her sweet, long-term, long-distance boyfriend. He's an Alpha. Can you blame a gi...
19.6K 647 47
Highest Ranking #14 in Hunter 4-12-19 #21 in Warlock 10-25-18 #55 in Demon 1-19-19 #431 in Werewolf 4-15-19 Book One "MATE!" He yelled. I stared at...
13.4M 367K 63
"Fuck, baby. You can't say things like that to me. I want to, also. Trust me." His hand snakes down my body until he enters two of his fingers into m...
525K 6.3K 33
There's no escaping love when you've found your mate. Amelia Whitlock knows that for sure. But what happens if, that so called mate of hers, was her...