Of Tears & Darkness: 2 Where...

By DCFlowers

(For ease of reading for those with mobile devices, this written work will be one story section per chapter.)... More

Chapter One: Renewed Allies
Chapter Three: The Grand Assembly
Chapter Four: Shadow Spies.
Chapter Five: Quest Rejoined
To Continue Reading
Chapter Seven: The Battle Within
Chapter Eight: The Hill
Chapter Nine: Close calls
Chapter Ten: Mage Duels and Swords
Chapter Eleven: The Unhallowed Ones
Chapter Twelve: When Death Calls
Chapter Thirteen: Strategic Withdrawal
Chapter Fourteen: Unbroken Vigilance
Chapter Fifthteen: Of Blood & Hounds
Chapter Sixteen: Of Fangs & Ashes
Chapter Seventeen: Evil Hunger
Chapter Eighteen: Preparing For Visitors
Chapter Nineteen: Night Moves
Chapter Twenty: Desperation in the Dark
Chapter Twenty-One: Death Riders
Chapter-Twenty-Two: Camp Misery
Chapter Twenty-Three: Fenwildre
Chapter Twenty-Four: Sanctuary
Chapter Twenty-Five: Change of Plans
Chapter Twenty-Six: A Reprieve
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Arrows in the Sky
Chapter Twenty-Eight: A Covenant Renewed
Chapter Twenty-Nine: A God's Favor
Chapter Thirty: Three Roses
Chapter Thirty-One: Feathers and Talons.
Chapter Thirty-Two: Into the Storm
Chapter Thirty-Three: Dreams and Storms
Chapter Thirty-Four: Feathered Death
Chapter Thirty-Five: Standing Beside Giants
Chapter Thirty-Six: Heat of Battle
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Price of Victory
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Where Sanity Ends
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Return to Cairnstone
Chapter Forty: Hunting Darkbinders
Chapter Forty-One: A Dragon's Legacy
Chapter Fourty-Two: Dragon Spawn
Chapter Forty-Three: Voyage Home
Chapter Forty-Four: Fireballs and Death
Chapter Forty-Five: The Wurm Turns
Chapter Forty-Six: When Souls Part
Chapter Forty-Seven: Near Death
Chapter Forty-Eight: A Battle Royale
Chapter Forty-Nine: Blood & Honor
Chapter Fifty: Call to Arms
Chapter Fifty-One: Unexpected Ally
Chapter Fifty-Two: When One Returns
Chapter Fifty-Three: A Hero's Return
Chapter Fifty-Four: Sending Support
Chapter Fifty-Five: Life or Death
Chapter Fifty-Six: Black Death
Chapter Fifty-Seven: Redrawing The Lines
Chapter Fifty-Eight: Rise Of A Legend
Chapter Fifty-Nine: A Step Forward
Chapter Sixty: Moving Right Along
Chapter Sixty-One: A Fiery Night
Chapter Sixty-Two: Red Lightning
Chapter Sixty-Three: The Big Push
Chapter Sixty-Four: Sadeene's Revenge
Chapter Sixty-Five: When Demon's Roar
Chapter Sixty-Six: Devine Choices
Chapter Sixty-Seven: Dark Days
Chapter Sixty-Eight: An Icy Pass
Chapter 69: Being Hunted
Chapter Seventy: Dark Council
Chapter Seventy One: Memories
APPENDIX

Chapter Two: Bad News

973 90 1
By DCFlowers

From a polished double-doors set, Prince Donovan watched Prince Everin, Brenna, Aberith, and a child with flowing brown hair of perhaps twelve exits and begin to walk towards them. Something terrible had happened, for there was no smile upon their faces; each bore a look as if made of stone. Without hesitation, Donovan suddenly felt cold, though the day was enjoyable. He had been dreading further news of the battle to defend Etria; the alliance had not been fully prepared to defend the city.

"My friends, even though we are about to enjoy a sumptuous banquet tonight, it is my sad duty to announce Etria has fallen. Anna has asked to tell all of you about the outcome of the battle for the great capital City of Caladore," Aberith said with a sad face.

"Etria, the great Sister City of Caralon, has been set afire, and all have abandoned it. Bemenah's armies have suffered heavy losses while attempting to capture it. The great city was destroyed to keep General Anktar's armies from pillaging its vast stockpiles of food and supplies. Yet, the alliance had won a victory of sorts. The city's inhabitants survived and are marching towards Kandalare. Today, they travel alongside many wagons laden with what General Anktar desired most," Anna said solemnly.

Amongst the men gathered under the shade tree, a great cry filled the air. Etria was known far and wide to be the most fantastic fortified city of the civilized lands. Its fall came as an immense shock to everyone gathered there.

"Father," a voice cried out behind Donovan.

Donovan turned to see Morgan standing upright, despite the fact she now shook uncontrollably. He rushed to her side to comfort her. Prince Donovan thought he would be sick to his stomach, though the news did not affect him as badly, for he had already braced himself for the possibility of this outcome.

"Etria has now fallen, and everything is still going Bemenah's way. When will it be enough? We need to smash the enemy compellingly. Sir Alfred growled while shaking his fist in rage.

"Not everything, we still live, and the sanctuary is almost within reach. Besides us, walk allies that are steadfast in their beliefs and who are courageous. These are the times when we need to be thankful for what we have, as we stand firmly together," Changa said while placing a hand on Sir Alfred's shoulder.

"My people will march with you to the sanctuary and would see this quest through to the end. Now is the time to stand steadfast in our faith and beliefs," Prince Everin said, standing tall. "We shall not buckle at the hands of the enemy so quickly. Doubt not our resolve and commitment, for we stand beside you as friends.

"As long as I live and breathe, I will fight against Bemenah's evil. Our people must know there is still hope. We can ill afford any further losses to the armies of Bemenah. Anna, what else do you see?" Donovan inquired.

"The Great Mother has set before you a mighty quest, which will decide the fate of the alliance for all time. War's dark tide will shake every nation of this world. Each of your fights to claim your children's birthright to stand up and be counted among those who will forge a new world."

"Does my father yet live?" Morgan asked with a quavering voice.

"King Aramus still lives, though he suffered injuries in battle. His life was saved by one who, with great courage, sacrificed his own. Your father and people now march beside friends and allies, towards Kandalare," Anna said quietly. Her eyes now glowed a faint silvery blue.

An oppressive gloom hung heavy over all who stood upon the hill. Fear and despair now filled the hearts and minds of all. Everyone knew the defense of the alliance rested upon the sister cities of Etria and Kandalare. Now, Kandalare stood alone against the dark tides of Bemenah's armies.

Donovan would seek the sanctuary and recover what it held. Deep inside, he feared he would complete the quest to no avail. Would it be too late to aid their cause? His place was at his father's side, defending his people. Instead, he was far away in another land, helpless to help his people in their hour of need.

"Anna, I thank you for informing us of these things. Your message only confirmed what many of us have feared would happen. The news is a setback, to be sure, but we still stand, undefeated, and are about to finish our quest," Donovan said quietly.

She nodded at Donovan's comment. A soft smile slowly crept across Anna's face and was quickly replaced by a more rugged look. "Prince Donovan, the sanctuary lies at the end of a four-week ride from here. Beware the Great Black Thorn Swamp, for the guardian who lives there, is ever-hungry," Anna said.

"What can you tell me of this, Great Black Swamp?" Donovan asked pensively, for he held no fondness for the more pits.

Prince Everin stepped forward with the furrowed forehead as if struggling with how best to answer the question. "Only an old tale I was told when I was very young. The Great Black Thorn Swamp has claimed many who have attempted to explore it. Long ago, King Masudra ruled Chandria, a horde of uncounted raiders which he could not hope to defeat savaged the land. For him, there was no choice but to retreat into the vastness of the great bog."

"King Masudra wisely decided to summon forth the guardian of the Great Black Swamp to treat with the spirit. With sacrifices of cattle, as well as other livestock, the desperate King awaited the guardian's arrival. At nightfall, the guardian arrived to listen to the king's proposal."

Morgan and Donovan shifted closer to Prince Everin so as not to miss a single word.

"The King spoke of the war, of his people's slaughter. He asked the guardian to spare his men as they traveled within the Great Black Swamp, battling the enemy forces he knew would pursue them. In return, King Masudra swore upon blood; he would from that time on offer sacrifices each year to the guardian."

Prince Everin paused, staring into the distance while taking a puff on his pipe. Everyone was now so quiet, as if not daring to take a breath, including Donovan.

"The guardian agreed, whereon King Masudra led his men deep into the Black Swamp. The enemy army pursued the king, eager to destroy him and his men. Within the Great Black Thorn Swamp, a great battle raged that claimed many raiding soldiers while the sun shone. It was what occurred during the night, amidst screams of terror, and panicked shouting, which destroyed the raider's army."

Donovan felt a chill run down his spine and ice-filled his veins. He shivered, despite being warm, as he recalled old tales of nameless beasts, which lived and fed within the black mire of those bottomless pits. No shaft of light could pierce the darkness of those fetid waters, and the evil which lived there hungered for any of Mankind which lost their way.

"The following morning, a lone survivor was found who had managed to drag himself from the black mud of the swamp. Quite insane, he babbled of a nameless monster which slid silently through the black depths of the swamp, pulling men as well as their horses to their deaths beneath its foul surface. While telling his story, the poor man died with his eyes wide with terror, in mid-scream."

Men began to murmur, giving voice to their fear. To fight an enemy, one could see, was one thing. Fighting malevolence that lurked unseen in the darkness was quite another.

"King Masudra for the remainder of his days remained true to his word. Every year, in remembrance of the great victory, an elaborate sacrifice honoring the spirit of the Great Black Thorn Swamp was held."

Girard listened quietly, his face betraying no emotion while stroking the whiskers on his chin.

"Legend says if one visits the swamp at night, you can still hear the desperate muffled cries of the many men who died there. On some nights, one can see the shades of men silently watching from where they fell."

"It seems as if we have no choice. The Great Lady has chosen for us the way we must go. I have come this far; I will see this task done," Girard said. "I care not for stories and legends. They, at best, serve as drivel meant for the entertainment of children and such."

"Prince Donovan, I will follow you to the end of this world, if need be. Surely there must be another way to reach the Sanctuary. We must go where no one else dares step forth? Am I the only one that sees a potential problem? We have been uncommonly lucky of late; perhaps it is not a wise thing for us to tempt the Hands of Fate this time," Sir Alfred stated.

"Our quest, it seems, leads to the Great Black Thorn Swamp in search of the Sanctuary. We have no choice other than to proceed there. All of us must hold to that which has guided us thus far; the fate of our world hangs in the balance," Donovan said.

"Tonight, my friends, we feast; tomorrow we ride to finish the quest Elliana has given you," Prince Everin said.

Don't forget to vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

754 14 62
Across the world, there are mysterious yet sacred artifiacts that are noted as "Wonders", an ancient civilisation has left behind seven wondrous arti...
477 96 30
Before you begin this story, I must warn you first. This is not a tale of dashing knights and lovely damsels awaiting rescue. It is not the tale of h...
58.9K 1.9K 24
Long ago 555 years ago a great disaster stroke Earthland. Nearly all life was destroyed those years ago between the battle of good and evil. This war...
247K 9.8K 34
~ COMPLETE AND NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON ~ In the Five Kingdoms of Saol Eile, magic is the only currency and those who have the most cast long shadows...