Labeled

By BEAUT1FULdreamer

**Brother's Best Friend Romance.** [[[NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON AND KINDLE UNLIMITED!]]] When you grow up in a... More

Hey You!
Introduction!
Exhaust Fumes
Chase is coming home?
I'm Home.
I Think I'm Crushin' Again.
Damn Shame.
Conflustered.
Can't Turn These Feelings Off.
Day by Day.
God, She's Beautiful.
Ten Fifteen.
Douche Nozzle.
I'll Make It Up To You.
Stick A Fork In Me.
Take A Picture, It'll Last Longer.
He's Not Into Me.
You Break Her Heart, And I'll Break Your Face.
Flying Stapler.
Girl's Night.
Chase, Are You Smitten?
I'm Not Ten Anymore.
Hit Or Miss.
Three Sugars.
You Have A Date?
LABELED IS PUBLISHED
Thank you
When You Least Expect It
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!

Soup and Pie with McSwoony.

110K 3.1K 549
By BEAUT1FULdreamer

I walked along the pebbled edge of the lake, away from all the noise and commotion, though it could still be heard. I stopped and picked up a flat rock, flipping it around in my hand before throwing it sideways. I could barely see it as it skipped out. I took a deep breath, a slight fishy scent lingered, nothing too intense, but somewhat relaxing. The yelling, music, and talking all behind me faded away. It was peaceful out here. I found a large rock, large enough to sit on and sat down. I heard footsteps behind me, the sound of crunching sand and rocks, I glanced over my shoulder to see who was walking my way. His broad shoulders blocked out the fire,darkening his features, and creating a orange glow around his body but I knew it was Chase. What the hell is he doing?

"What are you doing?" I asked him as he got closer.

"What are you doing?" he shot back.

I looked out at the calm lake. Neither of us said anything.

"You hungry?"

I look at him, incredulously, "What?"

"You hungry? I'm hungry. Wanna go grab some food?"

"What about my brothers? And your girlfriend?"

He kicks his shoe around the little pebbles, his hands in his front pockets, "Vance is occupied, and actually, I haven't seen Vaughn at all." He looks at me, his eyebrows furrowed. "I don't have a girlfriend."

We were silent again as I pondered his invitation to go get food.

"I don't know."

"C'mon, it's food and I'll drop you off right after."

"Okay. Can we not tell Vance?" I ask standing up, dusting the dirt off my butt. Even standing I have to look up at him.

"I don't know if that's a smart idea."

"And telling him we're leaving to grab food is?"

He sighs, "I feel like if he finds out we lied to him, then we're hiding something from him."

He makes a good point, because we're not hiding anything.

"We're not lying..."

"Lying by omission is pretty much the same thing, especially Vance."

I sigh, "I know, I just don't need him giving me shit. He won't be home late, if he even comes home. So if I'm home before him, which I most likely will be, he'll never even know."

"Okay." he relents, "I'll let him know I'm leaving."

I nodded, "Okay. I'll let Taylor know."

He turned to walk but I remained where I was, he must've realized that I didn't move because paused and turned towards me, "You comin?"

I look at him for a second, taking him all in. He just stares at me, waiting for my response. I have no idea what I'm getting into, but I remind myself it's just some food with a friend. "Yeah."

He doesn't move until I'm next to him and we both make our way back to the group. We split off, him going over to Vance, and I head to Taylor. She wags her eyebrows at me as I approach her, taking the seat next to her, "What kinda trouble you two getting into down there?"

I laugh, "Nothing. I'm gonna head out."

"And how are you getting home?" she smirks.

"Chase."

"Oh la la." she sings.

"You're crazy." I laugh.

I don't know why I'm not spilling out that he's not just taking me home, that we're going to grab some food. I don't need her to make something out of nothing, because it is nothing. I look up to see Chase and Vance smacking hands, Shannon is at his side, their gestures suggest Chase is telling Vance he's heading out. I watch as she says something to him, grabbing his arm, he says something and I watch her smile drop, her confidence deflates as she watches him walk away. This brings me joy, does that make me a horrible person? Oh, well.

"I'll text you tomorrow." I tell Taylor and make my way to Chase who's now reaching the dirt road that connects the road to the field.

"You better!" I hear her yell back.

I take my phone out and text Vance, telling him I'm hitching a ride with Chase, explaining that I want to get an early start on my car in the morning. I jog up to Chase, "Ready?" he asks as I come up next to him.

"Yep."

We walk in the dark silence, until the headlights of his car flash, lighting up the road making it easier to navigate. I walk to the passenger side as he goes to the driver side. My nerves are lighting up full force, I don't know why I'm nervous, or I like to think I don't. Being alone in Chase's presence has me like no one else. We both buckle up, he starts the ignition and pulls out of his spot, turning the car around.

"Where to?" he asks, breaking our silence.

"Hmm?" I hum looking out the window, watching him maneuver the car.

"It's been awhile, what's open? Is Chrissy's Diner still open all night?"

"Yep."

"Perfect."

He exits the dirt road, pulling onto the main paved road. I try to keep my mind occupied, but I guess I'm so occupied that I completely miss what Chase said, I feel him nudge me.

"What?" I ask looking at him, his face is illuminated by his dash.

He laughs not taking his eyes off the road, "You're eerily quiet over there, what are you thinking about?"

I really wasn't thinking about anything, okay that's a lie, but I'm not about to tell him I was trying to keep my mind off being alone with him again, in this enclosed space. Last time I was driving, so I was somewhat occupied. What do I do with my hands? He's looking at me, quick! "Soup or Pie?" I blurt.

"What?"

"What to order...soup or pie."

"Do they still serve the best shoe-fly pie?"

"Uh...Yeah!"

"Damn I've missed Chrissy's shoe fly pie!"

"Oh man. I don't think I could go a year without her pies." Because Chrissy definitely makes the best pie I've ever had, but you'll never hear me say that in front of my mom, even if they go way back.

I see him shrug, "It's not like I could get pies in care packages."

"Yeah, I guess not. Oh! Her french onion soup is killer!" I tell him.

"Hmm, that sounds good too."

"See my dilemma?" I ask smiling at our stupid conversation.

"Yeah, third world problems." he jokes.

"Yeah, Yeah."

"We'll order both." He says simply.

"Hmm..yeah, that sounds perfect!"

The diner isn't far from town so it's not long until Chase pulls into the parking lot of Chrissy's.

"Wow, it looks so different!" He says looking out the windshield at the remodeled diner.

"Yeah, it was closed for a couple weeks, and totally redone, as you can see. Neat right?"

Chrissy's looks like an old fashion diner straight out of the fiftys, it's shiny with mirror like siding. The name, Chrissy's Diner, is brightly displayed in red fluorescent lighting in front of the diner, high above the front doors.

"Yeah, wow."

"Let's go! Maybe Chrissy is still here!" I say and jump out of the car, closing the door and rounding the front. Chase follows behind me as we walk up the steps and into the foyer of the diner, then opening the next set of doors. A young girl is at the register, and looks up at us, a wide smile forming. "Hey guys, how many?"

"Just two." Chase says from behind me.

She grabs two menus and comes out from behind the counter, "Okay, follow me please." We follow her as she leads us pass the pie and dessert case, I take the moment to scan the yummy goodness, she continues walking and stops in front of a small booth, placing the menus on the table. "Your waitress will be right with you. Enjoy!" she says and leaves us.

We both slide into the booth across from each other and don't bother looking at the menu because we already know what we're getting. I look around the diner, and take in the late night costumers spread out. The waitress comes to our table, "Look at you two, you guys are the cutest couple I've ever set my eyes on."

I look up at the waitress, totally dumbfounded, and I hear Chase laughing which causes me to look at him. I know my eyes are bugging out of my sockets. He looks at the waitress, "Thanks."

"No problem doll. What can I get you cutie pies to drink?"

Chase nods at me, referring me to go first. "Uh, a coke is fine."

"Sure thing sweetheart, and for you?" She looks to Chase, and I take in her features. Her blonde hair is poofed out, built up with lots of hair spray, it reminds me of a picture I once saw of my mom before I was born. If I had to guess her age, I'd say somewhere in her late forties, she's really pretty even with the crows feet that crinkles when she smiles. It just tells me she's smiled a lot in her lifetime, it's a pretty smile, a mouth that showcases her perfect white teeth. I've never had braces, I was pretty fortunate to have my teeth come in fairly straight, except for one tooth that's crooked on my bottom. She's wearing a cute pink top, something you'd see in a fifties diner, her name sewed into the shirt above her breast. Beverly, she looks like a Beverly. I've always wondered if my name fits me, do I look like a Veronica? A black modest skirt with a apron tied around her wide hips complete her uniform. It's been a while since I've been to Chrissy's, Beverly is someone I don't recognize, so she must be fairly new.

"I'll be right back with your drinks." She says and twirls on her feet towards the kitchen.

I look at Chase, "She thought we were a couple!"

He smiles wide, forcing me to look a this mouth, but I quickly avert my eyes. "Yeah, I was here."

"We're not a couple." I point out, stupidly.

"That, I'm also aware of."

"Why would she think we're a couple?" I ask, again, stupidly.

"I don't know. Maybe because we're a guy and a girl, out late, together?"

"Yeah, maybe."

"But we are the cutest couple she'sever set her eyes on." He made his voice high, feminine like, when saying this. It makes me laugh. Beverly is back with our drinks, placing them in front of us, and taking her pad out of her apron.

"Are you two love birds ready to order?" She asks.

"Two french onion soups, please." Chase simply tells her.

"Oh my goodness, you two are too much! Sure thing!" She writes down our order, "Is that all?"

I cover my mouth to stifle my laughter. "Yes Ma'am." Chase scoops our menus up, handing them to her, his beautiful smile on full display. She takes them from him,and starts winding herself with. "Oh suga, I can see why she likes you. Whoo Honey, that smile would swoon any lady, especially this old lady."

Chase laughs, "You can't be a day over 30." Oh boy.

"Oh I need to walk away. You're trouble." She points at Chase and laughs, "Let me go put in your order." She walks  away, and I give Chase a incredulous look, "Oh my gosh!" I whisper shout to him.

She's halfway to the kitchen when we hear her shout, "Chrissy, we have a young McSwoony out here!"

I look at Chase, but I see some commotion towards the eat on bar, Chrissy comes from the swinging door connecting to the kitchen. She speaks to Beverly, looks our way and her face breaks into a huge smile. Chrissy is all country dutch, her family goes back generations in this town. Chrissy is also blonde, but bottled blonde, as her roots are a bit darker than the rest. The front of her hair is teased, somewhat like Beverly's but the rest is pulled back into a low pony. She has a square shaped face, with big blue eyes, and a sprinkle of freckles on the bridge of her slender nose. My mother and Chrissy grew up together, graduated together, and have remained friends throughout the years. Therefore, she's been around my whole childhood, there in, Chase's.

"Well what do we have here?" she says as she approaches to our booth. I slide out and go into her open arms.

"Hey Chrissy."

"Hello my beautiful girl." She squeezes me, "And who do we have here?" She releases me from her embrace and looks at Chase, "Well I'll be! Chase Daniels!" Chase slides out of the booth, and goes into her open arms. I slide back into my side of the booth and watch them, "Hi Chrissy!" he says while returning her hug. He moves back, but she grabs his face, "It's sure good to see you back boy!"

"Thank you ma'am."

"Oh please! Don't ma'am me!" she spits out releasing his face, and he sits back down chuckling.

"I didn't know you were back!"

"Yeah, just got back last week."

She smiles wide, pure pride. "This meal is on me. Don't you dare think of paying for it!"

Chase starts to say something but she cuts him off, "No. It's the least I can do for a soldier fighting for our country." and then she looks at me, "How's your mama baby doll?" Clearly ending that.

"She's good."

Beverly is walking our way with two steaming bowls, yummy, gooey cheese dripping onto the plate they're sitting on. Chrissy moves out of her way so she can set them down, "They're hot, be careful." Beverly warns us.

"Bev, this is Vivian's daughter, Veronica!" Chrissy says to her, "And this fine young man is Chase. Lacey and Richard Daniels son. He just returned from the service. Their check is on me!"

"Oh my goodness! Look at you!" She says to me, but I don't recall ever meeting her, other than just tonight. "You were a little thing the last time I saw you, I just moved back. Your mama, Chrissy, and me were the three amigos back in the day."

"Ohh boy!" I say. I'm sure they reeked havoc.

She swats her hand, "We were perfectly behaved young ladies!"

"I'm sure."

They both laugh, "Alright, We'll let you eat in some peace," Chrissy says, "Make sure you two come see me before you leave!"

"Will do." Chase tells her, they both leave us to eat.

I dig my spoon into the melted cheesy goodness, get a spoon full, the steam rising and I blow on the food. Chase is groaning across from me, "This.." he points at his bowl, "is so good!"

"I told you!" I say to him and take another bite. SO. GOOD!

We're both silent as we enjoy our soup.

"Man it feels so good to be here." Chase says.

"Home?" I ask and take another bite.

"Yeah, home. Here, at Chrissy's. Somewhere familiar."

"You're brave." I tell him. He is. He is the bravest person I know.

He smirks, "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

We both finish up our soups and push the bowls to the end of the table, "You have room for some pie?" he asks.

"Hell yeah...but not a whole slice, maybe we can share?" I suggest.

"Sure."

Beverly comes over and takes the empty bowls, "You two thinkin' about having some dessert?"

"Yeah, a slice of shoe fly!" Chase tells her.

"Sure thing honey!"

She walks away.

"You may have a cougar on your hands." I tell him.

He bursts out laughing which in turns makes me laugh, "Oh my gawd, V. You are too much!"

"What's so funny?"

"A cougar? Seriously?"

"Yeah. I hear some young guys are into that type of thing..and she's pretty for an older lady."

"Yeah, maybe some, but definitely not this guy..."

"Poor Beverly. Don't break her heart McSwoony." I emphasis on their nickname for him.

He sighs dramatically, "Don't even! McSwoony? What the hell?"

I laugh, "What? I think it's fitting. Swooning one woman at a time." I say it like a newspaper article headline.

"Oh gesz. I do not swoon anyone."

I arch my eyebrow, "MM HMM" I take a sip of my soda.

Chase's eyes quickly glance at my mouth, then just as quickly his eyes shift away but his posture becomes stiff as he adjusts himself. I use my straw to swish around my soda, "Soooo McSwoony." I can't stop the smile from forming, and I hear him groan. "You're not going to let that drop, are you?"

"Hell no!"

"Greeaattt!"

Beverly brings us our slice of pie, easily two slices, with new forks. She winks at me and returns to the kitchen. We both grab a fork, "Go ahead." he says to me.

"No, No. You haven't had her pie in a year, you can have the first bite." He smiles and forks a big piece, and I watch him as he puts it in his mouth. His eyes close, and he moans. Well that just went straight to my lady bits. Holy...mother mary.

"It's better than I remember."

"You totally had a food gasm." I tell him.

He chuckles, "Yeah, I guess I did."

He gestures to me to take a piece, so I do. We continue to go back and forth until the slice is completely gone. I finish my soda, rub my belly as I lean back in the booth, "I'm about to fall into a food coma."

"Well we can't have that, let's get you home."

"Thank you for taking me for food, I had a good time just hanging with you." It was simple, fun, and seemed so natural. We've never hung out like this before, we've always been with my brothers, never deliberately gone out together. I really enjoyed myself, and I can't help but want to do this again.

He throws a twenty down on the table, "Me too. We'll have to do it again." He says to me as we both slid out from the booth.

"Really?" I ask surprised.

"Yeah, really. You're fun to be around. I haven't laughed like that in a long time." He says causally, and I remind myself, that's all it really can be.

"You need to get out more." I tell him joking as we walk toward the front.

"What are your plans for tomorrow?" He asks, and it surprises me again.

"Um. I work. I need to find out what exactly is wrong with my car and get it fixed. I need it to get to school, otherwise I gotta bum a ride with Tay."

Beverly clocks us, "Oh sweet thangs, you headin' out?"

"Yep." I turn to her. She moves to the swinging door, opening it a bit, and yells for Chrissy.  A couple seconds later Chrissy comes out of the back, heading to us as soon as she us standing there. She gives each of us a big hug, "I sure hope to see you both again soon!"

"Of course!" I tell her.

"Tell both your mama's I said hello!"

"Will do!" I tell her.

We both move to the door, but Chase opens it for me, letting me walk through and opening the next door for me as well. Such the gentleman. We get into his car and he drives to my house.

"Oh hey, did Vance tell you about this weekend?" he asks.

I look at him. "Ermmm. No."

"Figured as much. I'll talk to him tomorrow. I invited you all out on the boat."

"Oh nice!" I've only been on Chase's boat a couple times, I was rarely invited, I guess having the little sister tag along wasn't always fun for them. I'm not sure I wanted to be on the boat with them anyways, especially if they brought their girl 'friends'. Chase's parents were wealthy, and their house is enormous. My thoughts wondered to his parents, because it's obviously not his boat we're going to be using.

"Your parents don't mind you just taking it out?" I ask

"No, but it's not like they're home to say anything about it. My father taught me everything about boating and driving a boat when I was 12. I got my boating license when I was 16."

"Oh wow. 12?"

"Yeah. It's really not that hard. It was good bonding time with my father, he was actually a good teacher."

"Have you heard from them?" I ask hesitantly.

He sighs, "No."

I'm not quite sure what to say, I feel bad, because that's horrible. My parents have always been actively into our lives, all five of us, and Chase is an only child.

"I'm sorry." I say.

"It's fine."

"It's really not. I'm sorry, I can't make up for them, but I'm glad you're home!" I tell him.

"Believe me, that means more than anything they'd say."

I smile because his response brings me warm fuzzies. But I know I need to change the subject to something lighter.

"Can I drive the boat?" I ask, expecting him to tell me no way.

"Sure"

"Really?" I turn towards him, totally excited at the thought of learning to drive a boat.

"Yeah." He shrugs like driving a boat that costs, I actually don't even know how much boats cost but I'm sure they're more than your average car, is no big deal.

"So cool!" I do a little dance in my seat, I am excited. I'm going to learn to drive a boat!

He laughs, and his beautiful smile is on display. I like that I'm the reason behind it.

He turns into my driveway, putting his car in neutral, letting the car coast to the front of my house. It's completely  dark, none of my brother's cars are in the driveway, so I know I'm good. I pull my keys out of my bag and without really thinking much about it, I lean over the console to give Chase a hug. It's something I would do with any of my friends. I know I surprised him, it was more of me hugging his side until he turned and our chests were pressed together. I squeezed him, and he returned the squeeze. "Thank you. I had fun!"

"Anytime. I did too."

I started to release him, but he held on tight for a second, then moved away. I liked that.

"See you tomorrow?" I ask.

"Yeah. I'll be around."

I smile at him and nod then closed his car door. I move to my front door, unlocking it and closing it behind me. He didn't pull away until I was safely inside. I watched out the living room window as his car moved as quietly as it could down my driveway. I went up to my room, got ready for bed and crawled into bed. I stared at the ceiling and replayed the night in my head until I fell asleep.

♦ ♢♦ ♢♦ ♢♦ ♢♦ ♢♦

I hope you enjoyed this chapter..it came in at almost 4k words! Let me know what you think!

Vote, Comment. I appreciate your words!

Feel free to follow me and add Labeled to your public reading list if you enjoy reading it.

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 7.6K 28
[18+] - CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE Traumatized by life and grief-stricken, a young ex-soldier returns to his hometown hellbent on pursuing the woman he lov...
19.8K 794 19
Ava is a chubby, lovely and bold girl who lives with her bestfriends. She lost her mom when she was small and she lived with her bestfriends ever sin...
43K 1.3K 11
Chase is a fucking bastard - Ainsley is a biker bitch extrordinaire. I'm Giving Up! I'm Done! I'm sick of waiting for the only man I've ever wanted...
30.4K 718 36
Sydney only ever wanted to attend one F1 Grand Prix. She figured she'd fly over, support her brother in his race, and be on her way. That would have...