Smokescreen 》Alec Lightwood

By UpInFlames_

Smokescreen: noun 》 A ruse to disguise someone's real intentions or activities. Highest Rank - #213 in Fanfic... More

Prologue
1.
2
3
4
5.
6
7
8
9
10
11.
12
A/N
13
14
15
BONUS
16
17
18
19
20
21
Playlist
22
IMPORTANT
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
L O V E A N D W A R

24

14.5K 522 92
By UpInFlames_

A/N! 3+ Comments and votes for the next chapter!
Thank you for the lovely feedback! I just want to hug you all for taking a chance and reading this book!
I really loved that some of you liked that Adelaide gave herself up for Izzy rather than reveal herself to everyone at Alec's wedding!
I also can't believe some of you are rereading this book! That's crazy! :) xo
Guess which episode comes into play next chapter? ;) 
*NOT EDITED*

*****

Adelaide's announcement was followed by silence.

It was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop until, seemingly all at once, the chatter broke out amongst the watching audience. Alec snuck a glance at Magnus wondering if this was some last minute plan he wasn't aware of, but the anger simmering in Magnus' yellow eyes was enough to confirm to Alec that Adelaide was doing this all on her own.

He couldn't quite squash the rising panic and worry for Adelaide that rose in his chest, and as he caught his sisters glance across the room he could tell that she felt the same.

'Quiet! Be quiet! All of you!'

Imogen Herondale screamed from her position on the raised podium as she stared at the younger dark haired shadowhunter who stared defiantly back at her with her shoulders squared, her stance strong and powerful and her expression serious and blank.

Magnus snapped his fingers and a sound like a gunshot rang around the room, startling the people present into a tense, almost excited, silence.

Adelaide hadn't moved and she couldn't bring herself to glance behind her at where she could feel Alec and Magnus' gazes boring into her back. Despite her efforts, Adelaide and Izzy's eyes met and Adelaide could see the fear there. As the girls watched each other, Isabelle gave an almost imperceptible shake of her head that told Adelaide she didn't agree with what she had just done.

Surprise had been key. Adelaide couldn't think of telling Magnus, Alec or Isabelle what she was doing, even if they had of let her put her plan into motion. If the inquisitor suspected the Lightwoods or Magnus of helping her, there would be hell to pay.

Adelaide had successfully saved them the scrutiny. By not telling them what she was up to, the surprise and anger at her appearance was genuine, far more genuine than any acting would be, no matter how good each of them were at it.

'You're telling me that you are Valentine Morgenstern's daughter?' the inquisitor's words were clipped.

Adelaide tried not to roll her eyes. 'That is what I said. Yes.'

'That isn't possible.' The older woman denied. 'Valentine Morgenstern and Jocelyn Fairchild had one son years ago and Jocelyn gave birth to Clarissa in hiding. If you are their child, where do you fit into that timeframe?'

Adelaide raised an eyebrow. 'You haven't considered the possibility of twins?'

The inquisitor seemed to pale. 'Twins? You and Clarissa-'

Adelaide shook her head before she could finish speaking. 'No. Not Clary. Jonathan.'

Adelaide heard a sharp intake of breath from someone watching the tense exchange.

'You were reported missing more than a year ago. You were declared deceased.' The inquisitor stated, her accusatory stare not leaving Adelaide.

'Yes I was. But then again, so was my Father.'

Alec felt Magnus tense next to him. It had been the wrong thing to say. Adelaide comparing herself to Valentine would only give the Clave more reason to punish her, more reason to hate her.

Alec was proved right as the Inquisitor gestured to one of the shadowhunters milling around the platform, she whispered something to him quietly, gesturing at Isabelle.

Alec watched with fearful eyes as his sister was escorted to the seat beside him. Isabelle immediately reached for his hand, her nails digging into his skin. 'Alec, did you know about this?' Her voice was low and barely decipherable even to him.

Alec glanced at her, aware of the watching eyes on the two of them as he shook his head. 'No.'

Alec's reply seemed to make Isabelle tense even more as Adelaide was forced to stand in front of a room full of people ready to condemn her based on a single name. Adelaide was standing by the mortal sword and as she laid her hands on it gently, Alec knew then that they had lost.

Adelaide was unable to lie. The mortal sword would drag the truth out of her by force, like scraping away at stone to reveal the dazzling truth underneath.

'Adelaide Morgenstern, you say that you should be on trial, rather than Isabelle Lightwood, why is this?'

'Because Isabelle Lightwood is innocent in all of this. She has nothing to do with Valentine or his plans.' Adelaide answered honestly, her voice ringing through the silent room.

'And you do?'

The words were like poison as they flowed out of the inquisitor's mouth, her distaste and contempt for the girl and her family becoming evident in her expression.

'I do what?'

Adelaide felt invisible knives slice at her as she avoided answering the question directly.

'Do you have something to do with Valentine's plans?'

'Yes.'

Adelaide hissed the word out through her teeth and the gasps from the crowd in front of her set her on edge.

Alec's blood turned to ice.

'You are in league with Valentine then?' The inquisitor's eyes narrowed.

'No.'

'Explain yourself girl.'

Adelaide looked directly ahead as she spoke. 'I am involved in my Father's plans. I do not know what these plans are or who they involve, all I know is that I fit somewhere into the whole scheme of things. My Father is a lot of things inquisitor, and unfortunately one of those things is smart. He has a startling ability to get what he wants, and for the last twelve months, he has wanted both me and my biological mother.'

Adelaide finally glanced up, her eyes meeting Alec's. 'As of right now, only one of us is accounted for.'

Hurried whispers and murmurs broke out over the room but they went ignored.

'Where is the mortal cup?'

Adelaide swallowed. 'I do not know.'

'Who has the mortal cup currently?'

'I do not know.'

Adelaide ignored the stinging pain that came with her words. She wasn't lying, however she wasn't technically being one hundred percent honest.

'Where was the last place you saw Valentine?'

'The last place I saw my Father was in Alicante, Idris.'

The panicked whispering started up again and Imogen Herondale rose from her seat, her expression full of anger.

'That's impossible! Valentine would have been noticed if he was residing in the shadowhunter homeland!'

'Not if he was posing as someone else. I spent most of my life believing I was Adelaide Renhallow. And every year I would visit my one living relative in Idris, an Uncle, I was told. Turns out the Renhallow family were wiped out in the uprising over eighteen years ago. The man I was visiting was Valentine himself.'

The murmurs reached a peak and Adelaide could see the fear on the shadowhunters faces as her words sunk in.

'You're lying! You-' The inquisitor started angrily, sensing the people believing toward Adelaide's story.

'She isn't lying.'

The interruption came from the person Adelaide and Imogen least expected. Lydia was standing up in front of where she was once seated. Adelaide frowned at her but the blonde didn't glance her way.

'Branwell, what is the meaning of this?'

'Adelaide isn't lying. She is under the influence of the mortal sword.' The woman looked hesitant for a second, but the look quickly disappeared. 'That, and she had been visiting me every time she was in Idris, for years, right up until she went missing. I believe her.'

The inquisitor's jaw dropped, and it seemed she had lost the ability to speak.

'The charges against Isabelle Lightwood are withdrawn. Adelaide is right, Isabelle is innocent.'

Isabelle felt the tension in her chest loosen slightly as Lydia smiled at her. Thank you she mouthed to the blonde, who nodded at her kindly.

'If you think refusing to prosecute exculpates the defendant or her-' the inquisitor glared hatefully at Adelaide. '-Then you are wrong. One of these girls is guilty. The clave wants the mortal cup. If it is returned within twenty four hours, charges will be dropped.'

Adelaide met Imogen's stare.

'If not, Adelaide Morgenstern will be stripped of her runes and exiled from the society of Shadowhunters forever.'

The inquisitor went to walk past her amidst all the chaos that had broken out, but she stopped, leaning into speak to the girl quietly. 'Let's see how much your Father wants you after you are no longer valuable to his cause.'

And then she was gone.

*****

Adelaide was escorted to the same room Isabelle had been locked up in prior to the trial. Only ten seconds went by after her escort had shut the door before it slammed open again and Isabelle, Alec and Magnus entered the room.

'What the hell were you thinking?'

Alec reached Adelaide first, gripping onto her forearms as he shook her, staring down at her with a manic look in his eyes.

'I –'

'I told you not to leave my lair, Adelaide. Why didn't you listen to me? Do you have any idea what you've just done to yourself? What they'll do to you?' Magnus was by Alec's side, making it clear that he was siding with the raven-haired shadowhunter.

'I-' Adelaide tried again.

'Adelaide, you didn't have to do that.' Isabelle's voice was quieter than her brother and Magnus' voices had been, but the same disapproving look was evident on her beautiful face.

'I'm tired of being useless!' Adelaide shoved Alec back away from her, ignoring the hurt that flashed across his face. 'I have spent all of my life training to help people and for the last year I've been unable to do anything I was raised to do. I'm tired of it! The clave wouldn't have stopped Izzy, and I couldn't let them blame you for something my Father caused. The clave know I'm alive, they know who I am, Valentine knows I'm alive and he's made it clear he can find me no matter how far I run. Whatever consequences come out of this, will be worth it, because at least I was able to do something to help someone I love.'

'They'll exile you, Adelaide. They want to do it based on your last name alone.' Isabelle frowned at her friend.

'Like I said, it'll be worth it.'

'You should have told us.' Alec's voice was hard as he stared at Adelaide.

'What? And risk the clave realising that you weren't as surprised as you should have been? Telling you would have meant risking exposing all of the truth to the clave. Your reactions had to be genuine or it wouldn't have worked.'

Magnus opened his mouth to speak, but stopped with a frown. 'Jace and Clary have arrived.'

Isabelle looked at the warlock. 'We have to explain what happened, or they could end up ruining everything.'

Isabelle squeezed Adelaide's arm. 'Thank you. I do appreciate what you did more than you know. I just don't want to lose you again.'

Adelaide smiled at her friend tiredly. 'As long as you're safe Iz, I don't care what happens to me.'

Isabelle's smile slipped but Adelaide ignored it.

'It appears the tables have turned and now you are the one in need of a lawyer sunshine. I'll be back after I've dealt with your sister and Jace.'

Magnus didn't come near her and Adelaide knew then that he was beyond angry. Magnus Bane was absolutely furious. Adelaide cringed, knowing she was in for a tongue lashing when he returned.

Adelaide turned her back on the door as it closed but quickly flinched away in surprise when someone gripped her arm tightly.

'You and I, we're gonna have a talk.'

Adelaide tugged her arm out of Alec's grip. 'Don't you have a wedding to plan?' Adelaide could hear the bitterness in her voice and she could only hope that Alec couldn't.

If Alec noticed her tone, he hid it well as he sighed wearily. 'Don't. Don't do that.'

'Do what?'

'You know what.'

Adelaide sighed as she sunk into the comfortable couch, Alec joining her. 'You're right. Sorry.'

Alec ignored the apology. 'They're going to make you give a statement, keep eyes on you at all times, interrogate you – you do understand that, right?'

Adelaide sighed. 'Yes Alexander. I know what I signed up for when I announced myself in front of the Inquisitor.'

Alec rolled his eyes, but his expression quickly became serious. 'You put yourself at risk to save my sisters future as a shadowhunter.'

'She's practically my sister too, Alec.' Adelaide reminded him gently.

'I know.' Alec agreed. 'But still, thank you.'

'Do you remember when we were younger, and our biggest worry was who would win our sparring competition that day?' Adelaide mused quietly after a few moments of comfortable silence.

Alec laughed. 'You and Jace argued about who actually won constantly, how could I forget?'

'I miss it. I miss being carefree. I miss waking up to you and Isabelle arguing over who ate the last of the cereal, I miss Jace trying to knock me on my ass during training, I miss our conversations... I just-' Adelaide smiled sadly to herself. 'I miss the way we used to be.'

'Adelaide-' Alec frowned.

'We'll never be those people again, Alec. By the time Valentine is done with us we'll be hollowed out shells of the people we were supposed to be. Everything just keeps changing.' Adelaide sighed. 'I hate it.'

'Change doesn't have to be a bad thing.' Alec reminded her gently.

'You're right, it doesn't.' Adelaide agreed. 'I have a little sister, I live with a warlock who is one of my best friends, I have you, and Jace and Isabelle back in my life... change can be good. Sometimes.'

Adelaide shot a sneaky glance at Alec. 'You of all people should be excited for change.'

'What?' Confusion was etched into Alec's expression.

'You're getting married Alec. You're going to have a wife.' Alec thought he saw a flicker of sadness in her expression, but he blinked and it was gone again.

Alec had tensed at the mention of Lydia. 'Oh. Yeah.'

The two were silent for a few moments before there was a light tap on the door and it opened, revealing Lydia on the other side. Speak of the devil.

'Can I come in?'

Adelaide tried to sink further into the couch as Alec nodded at the blonde.

'I thought you should know that Jace and Clary returned the cup. Isabelle is free to do what she wishes.' Lydia directed to Alec before she turned to Adelaide almost nervously. 'They found your mother.'

Adelaide choked out a gasp. 'Is- is she...'

'She's alive. Unconscious, but alive.' Lydia seemed to understand her shaky voice. 'And so are you apparently.'

Adelaide frowned. 'Thank you, for standing up for me.'

Lydia smiled gently at her. 'I'm glad you're okay, Adelaide, even if I don't understand pretty much anything that happened to you.'

Adelaide snorted. 'I'm sure you'll find out.'

'The clave has ordered an investigation on you, but until that gets underway you're free to come and go as you please. But the Clave will check up on you, so be prepared for that.' Lydia warned.

'The clave don't scare me. I haven't done anything wrong.'

Lydia smiled wryly. 'I never said you did. But, uh, I should go. Alec, when you have a chance there are some things we should discuss.'

Alec nodded and Lydia left quietly.

'Do you love her?' Adelaide questioned quietly, staring at the wall opposite her once the door clicked shut.

Alec stayed silent.

'Alec?'

Alec sighed. 'No. I don't love her Adelaide.'

'Then why are you marrying her? I like her Alec, but if you don't love her-'

'I have to marry her. I am marrying her. That's all there is to it.' Alec sounded bored with the discussion, though his hands had tensed into fists again.

Adelaide continued as though he hadn't interrupted. ' – if you don't love her, the two of you will be lonely for the rest of your lives. Neither of you deserve that, I-'

'What do you know about love? What, are you asking me not to marry her?' Alec snapped, standing up, Adelaide doing the same.

'No! Alec, I –'

'Why wouldn't you want me to marry her, Adelaide?' Alec's voice was low and Adelaide was aware of how close they were to each other.

Because she doesn't love you. Because you don't love her. Because I love you.

Adelaide pushed the thought into the back of her mind as her heart pounded against her chest. Alec stared down at her, waiting for her answer.

'I just want you to be happy.' She whispered quietly.

Alec's heart sank into his stomach. A part of him had hoped her answer would be different.

'What if marrying Lydia is what will make me happy?' The words seemed to form of their own freewill and Alec felt disconnected as they left his lips, as though someone else was speaking the words using his voice.

Adelaide tried to ignore the wave of sadness that stabbed at her heart at his words. 'Then marry her, Alec.'

Alec nodded, unable to help the way his eyes flicked down to her parted lips for a split second as the door swung open again, and this time there was no polite knock or announcement, there was no need for one as magic crackled in the air as Magnus glanced around the room.

'Magnus?' Adelaide stepped away from Alec hastily, ignoring the way it made her feel.

'Sunshine, we need to talk.'

'If this is about the trial-' Adelaide started warily, searching for any sign of anger in his expression.

'No. It's not about that.'

Magnus glanced between Adelaide and Alec. 'It's about Jace.'

'Jace?' Alec jumped into the conversation. 'What about him?'

Magnus sighed, staring at Adelaide. 'It seems as though Valentine has fooled us all yet again.'

'What are you talking about? What did he do?' Adelaide asked warily.

'What does Valentine have to do with Jace?' Alec frowned.

'You mentioned that Michael Wayland was alive. But it turns out that it was Valentine, hiding behind a glamour.'

'What? Are Clary and Jace-'

'They're fine. But Adelaide, this wasn't the first time Valentine has pretended to be Michael.'

'What?' Alec was lost in a haze of confusion.

'No.' Adelaide breathed in realisation, quickly putting the pieces together. 'You aren't saying that-'

Magnus nodded grimly. 'Yes. Jace is Jonathan. He's your brother, Adelaide.' 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

315K 14K 29
Magnus Bane owns the apartments where Alec and Isabelle Lightwood, Jace Herondale, Simon Lewis and Clary Fray reside. With his eccentric style and un...
938K 22.1K 50
Camille Fray has a normal life. A young mother, a young sister and a father who died when she was child. Graduated from high school and 2 years into...
51.8K 3.8K 180
This is fan fiction story about our beloved shumdario Harry is a famous actor who gets a part on the show called "shadowhunters", there he meets his...
110K 3K 38
[completed | under editing] after the events that take place at the end of their fight with valentine, adelaide storm has an internal battle with her...