Riches To Rags

By QueenVictoriia

© Copyright 2014 All Rights Reserved. Everything she ever wanted was presented to her on a silver platter. Fr... More

Chapter 1: Riches To Rags
Chapter 2: Something New, Something Old.
Chapter 3: Accommadations
Chapter 4: Settling In
Chapter 5: Manual Labor
Riches To Rags Writing Contest!
Chapter 6: Mama Bear
Chapter 7: Assistance
Chapter 8: Doubtful Friendships
Chapter 9: The Truth v. Understanding
Chapter 10: Self Improvement
Chapter 12: The Storm Shall Pass
Chapter 13: Clarity
Chapter 14: Papa Bear
Chapter 15: An Answer
Chapter 16: Partial Reconcile
Chapter 17: Listen
Chapter 18: Strong Woman

Chapter 11: On the Battlefield

1.7K 128 23
By QueenVictoriia

Chapter 11: On the Battlefield

"Pick your battles. You don't have to show up to every argument you're invited to."

~Mandy Hale

"I'm da Puerto Rican princess hunna and ya betta belie dat," the woman shouted. "Mah job is ta be a bad bitch."

Her broken English was giving Rae a headache. In all her years of living on this Earth, she had never seen people act so undignified and classless. Unfortunately, it reminded her of her actions a couple of days ago.

As she sat back on her small couch, Rae quickly changed the channel to witness another pointless fight between women.

Hypocrite.

"How did these women get a TV show?" Rae sat there, stunned. "My life is way more interesting then this bull."

Looking down at her brand new cellphone, she had no messages or missed calls. Her popularity status was nonexistent at the moment and she had to continue to tell herself that she had a different life now, with different people.

Still, she had yet to receive a call from her father, but she knew that her phone would be blowing up sooner or later. That reason being, had nothing to due with her father and everything to do with her choices.

She just wished that she had not gone to the Elite Party.

Just be calm.

So easy to say, but it was taking everything in Rae to just forget about the whole idea, jump back on plane and back to LA. What was she thinking to begin with?

Her nerves were at an all time high. As she paced back and forth in her suite while wearing nothing but a plush white rob, she couldn't stop her mind from wandering about the endless possibilites that could go wrong.

Rae was suppose to be dressed, her hair and makeup already complete. But when she tried to put on her all black ballroom gown, her mind froze. The muscles in her body seemed as if they were paralyzed as she glanced at herself in the mirror.

What was the purpose of this? Why was she here? Why did she let Levi talk her into this?

She couldn't... She wouldn't...

Before she could run back to the bedroom and search for her makeup bag to remove it from her face, there was a knock on her door.

She looked over her shoulder at the old, tan alarm clock, sitting on the nightstand beside the bed. He was going to be upset with her. Here, she wasn't dressed and was now backing out.

The knocking persisted as she nearly tripped over the cluttered mess on the dark brown carpet. Her clothes and shoes scattered everywhere. A mirrored image of her mind.

Once she got to the door, she placed her forehead gently on it. "Rae open up," Levi shouted.

She reached for the doorknob, not sure if she wanted to open it or not. "I know your in there so open up," he continued.

Against her better judgement, she opened the door and soon wish that she hadn't. To some, he might be an average looking guy, but to Rae, Levi was without a doubt handsome. Especially since he cleaned up nicely. His fitted jeans and Polo shirts were traded for a nice black suit, a crispy white shirt and and nice black tie.  Instead of a pair of Converse or Jordan's, he wore fancy dress shoes.

With a fresh haircut and a nice trim to his goatee, Levi walked through the door taking a good look at her.

"Whoa, why aren't you dressed yet?" Levi said. "The party starts in 30 minutes."

She got a whiff of his cologne and her knees almost buckled. This was another reason why she should just call the whole thing off. Her attraction to Levi was getting strong the more they hung out together. It was best to distance herself before she made a stupid mistake.

But nothing would happen, right? She thought to herself. It was clear that he wasn't attracted to her in no way, shape or form. But she felt that she had to control her emotions regardless.

It seemed like Levi was more amped up and ready to go then she was. To bad she had to tell him that she wasn't going.

"I changed my mind," she simply said.

Turning around, she went further into her hotel room, picking up the remainder of her clothing and stuffing then back in her suitcase.

"Changed your mind?" He repeated her words. " You can't just change your mind at the last minute. We've come all this way and we can't just leave without showing our faces."

Rolling her suitcase, she stormed into the bedroom and went into the adjoining bathroom, knowing that he would follow. She gathered her toiletries and went back to the bedroom, tossing then in the front zipper of the suitcase.

"Wait, hold on," he told her. He reached for her. He knew that Rae was having thoughts about not going but they had to be deeper than that. It couldn't just be showing her face in public.

"What's really going on?" He asked her.

"I just don't think this is such a good idea," she answered. "I should have said no to begin with a-"

"And now we are here," he said.

Her eyes, downcasted on their entangled hands. He pulled her to the end of the bed, both sitting down.

"Rae I got your back," he told her. "You got to trust me."

She did. Rae trused him with the littke that she did have. But it wasn't him that she didn't trust.

An hour and a half had passed  and all eyes were still casted her way, filled with astonishment  and wonder and Rae was still trying to figure out an exit strategy. She was starting to think that she wasn't welcome. Which was probably true, given the fact that her and her family didn't belong to the prestigious group anymore.

The night was in full swing. Jazz music filled the air as people of different walks of life with dollar signs attached to the end of their names, were dressed in the fanciest of clothing. From Vera Wang ballroom gowns to Stuart Hughes Diamond suits, there was a lot of money in just one room. Nothing compared to what her and Levi had on and she was sure that the both of them stood out.

Rae, to her surprise, was greeted by only one older white couple. The conversation was going smooth until she found out the ultimate reason why they were being so cordial. They had questions and wanted answers

"So is it true that you're broke?" The woman whispered.

"I-"

"I don't think that's any of your business," Levi pointed out, grabbing her waist and pulling her close to him.

He was getting tired of the constant stares from everyone, but he had to quickly remind himself that he was her to support Rae. If they were back in LA, Levi had no problem, rolling up on someone and asking them that the deal was. But he couldn't do that  for several reasons. One, he didn't know any of these people and two he wasn't going to jail in and area where the odds were stacked against him.

"We have the right to ask questions,' the blonde woman said.

Her flamboyant attire was damn near blinding Rae. She wore a hot pink ballroom gown that had ruffles at the very bottom of the hem and also on the edges of her sleeves. Her jewelry was silver. Several bracelets dawned on her wrist and a huge diamond necklace around her neck. She wore tear drop earrings to finish her look, but Rae thought she looked a mess.

Her date was simple. Only wear a tux and a silver watch. Both looks easily could cost millions of dollars and by the look of the woman's jewelry, that alone was enough to to spike the price.

"Only the rich is allowed to come to this party," she continued to cast a look of disgust their way. "I thought your invitation was revoked. Your family is poor and given by the looks of your outfit it seems like you're having a rougher time than I thought."

"Listen here bit-"

Before she could cuss the older couple out, Levi grabbed her hand to take her away. "Excuse us," he told them.

As another attendant past by, she grabbed another flute of champagne. Being her fifth drink of the night, she still couldn't feel a buzz but strongly desired it.

She felt Levi hand placed on her lower back, as he escorted  her over to the bar area. Ordering a drink, she took a deep breathe.

"Hey," Levi grabbed her attention. "Can't go off on everyone you see,"

"Not everyone I see," she begun, "but everyone that's got something to say about me."

"Everyone is going to have a preconceived notion about you," he told her.

"Didn't know you knew big words," she smirked. "And that's not what I mean."

Rae already came down to the conclusion that people were going to form their own opinions about her situation. Before having anything to back them up with. Yes, her story was in the paper, but how did they know it was the truth. Then again, everything that's printed, isn't always facts.

Before she could explain, she glanced across the room and her eyes landed on the last person she wanted to see this evening. She grabbed Levi's hand to pull him along, when two people made their way towards her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Levi asked.

"I'm ready to-"

"Well if it isn't Miss. Desiree Harris," a voice behind her said.

Rae sighed deeply, turning around slowly in her heels coming face to face with her so called best friend.

Dove.

To her surprise, Adam was right next to her. Dressed similar to every man in the building, he wore a black tux, but skipped a tie.

"I didn't think you were going to come," Adam said  breaking his silence. "If I would have known, I would have escorted you."

"No need because I was always coming with," Levi chimed in. Moving closer to Rae, he squeezed her waist gently and reached out. "Levi."

"I don't shake hands with the less fortunate," Adam said, looking at Levi's extended hand.

"And we truly don't care who you are," Dove snapped. "We were talking to Desiree."

She didn't expect her to come. It was written all over Dove's face.  What caught her attention the most, was how close both Dove and Adam were.

"Are you two together now?" Rae asked, not helping herself to knowing the burning question in her head.

"Maybe," Dove sneered. Her eyes, never leaving her perfectly manicured hands as she examined them.

"You know," Dove chuckled. "You look really good... For roadkill."

Rage conintued to boil heavily in her skin. The more Dove talk, the less Rae was able to control her actions. All she could think about at the moment was rearranging her face.

Dove looked nice in her royal blue ballroom dress, but Rae's hatred towards the woman continued to grow as she stared her down. She probably was a beautiful woman, but on the inside she was a total bitch with no compassion whatsoever.

She was suppose to be her best friend and yet she was treating her like a hobo of the street. It hurt.

Before anyone could stop her, or even predict what was to come, they watched as Rae lifted a hand quickly,  connecting it with Dove's face.

The sound of skin hitting skin echoed through out the room as patrons turned to see what and where had that sudden noise come from. 

Levi grabbed her waist and pulled her behind him quickly, stopping her from doing any more damage. Taking several glances between Dove and Rae.

The world around her stopped, as they continued to witness what was transpiring before them. She slapped her. Never had she put her hand on someone. It was a new territory for her.

Dove tried to collect herself, never having been more humiliated in her life. This, Rae knew, her eyes were wide by her actions too.

Touching her face, Dove looked at her hands, noticing spots of blood. She stared at Rae and if looks could kill, she would be six feet under by now.

Taking long strides toward her "You're going to regret ever putting your hands on me," Dove sneered.

Before she could respond, Dove turned on her heels and storm towards the bathroom with Adam in tow.

Like a rag doll, he rougly snatched her arm in his hands and dragged her across the room and away from the scene. They made it out of the ballroom and into the hallway. As he continued to make powerful stride to an unknown locations, Rae tried to loosen his grip on her bicep.

"Levi stop!" She demanded, picking up the lower parts of her dress to avoid falling and making an even bigger ass of herself.

He ignored her protest, making their way to the stainless steel elevators. Then, he  decided to let her arm go and smacked the button to open.

"What the hell is your problem?" She shouted.

The door slammed behind them. He was angry. But why? It wasn't him that Dove made a fool out of- it was her. The invite wasn't what Adam made it seem like. This should not have been a surprise, but still, it caught her off guard.

The invitation was for her own embarrassment, and to cause her much more. To put her on display for a group of people to be gossip  about, mocked, and pitied on. A far cry to lend a helping hand or to see how she was holding up. Rae was the butt of the joke.

So manhandling her, the now cold shoulder and  irate facial expression Levi was giving her the though was coming far left.

She was angry, she did not think that he had a reason to be. "What is wrong with you?" She questioned.

Levi hastily reached for his tie and discard it, throwing it on the coffee table. "We'll talk about it in the morning," he ignored. "I'll sleep on the couch. First thing in the morning, I'll go to my room and we'll be on a plane back to LA."

She  watched as  begun to take of his shoes

"I make sure that you have everything you need," he yelled. " Made sure your hair's done, outfit perfect, makeup flawless. Fancy hotel with a bougie ass view.

"First class flight because I know you missed the rich live,and this is how you do?"

"What?" She asked "Did I forget to thank you!?"

"Everything is not always about you Rae!" He barked. "I told you before we got on a plane the I had your back, when we got off, got to the hotel, and before we left the damn room! You didn't have to do that shit! You barely say two words to her and you slap the bitch!"

Now she understood. Rae had embarrass him. It was a spotlight that he wasn't use to begin with and her actions mad it worst. It was the last thing that she want to cause him. To embarrass him in front of a group of people who didn't care for him.

"I didn't mean to embarrass you," she said softly,

"Jesus Rae!" Levi sighed deeply. "Is that what you think you did? Embarrass me? No, you embarrassed yourself."

"What was I suppose to do?" She exclaimed.

Levi shrugged and glare at her. "Oh I don't know," he said. "Walk away? But slapping bitches ain't the way."

"She was supposed to be my best friend," she shouted at him. "She humilated me and deserves so much more!

"You can't do shit like this,"
Levi sighed, closing his eyes

"My God!" Rae exclaimed. "I'm so tired of people telling me what to do!" She tried to walk past him and go to her room.

She was done with the conversation. Feeling her irritation rise, she didn't want to say the wrong thing and ruin what little friendship they did have.

"No," he stopped her, grabbing her arm from escaping. "You're tired of people telling you to grow up!"

Snatching her arm from his grip, Rae stumbled back, glaring at him in disbelief. "What?" She snapped. "How dare you!"

Levi cross his arms over his muscled frame and stood his grounds. "I see you don't have to many people in your corner telling you when  you're wrong so let me be the first," he ranted. "You're wrong!"

"I might be from the hood, but I'm pretty sure you don't go cussing and slapping the same ones that invited you somewhere."

Rae smacked her teeth. "It was not an invite based on support, but on humiliation," she explain.

"It doesn't matter if they invited you to put you on a pedestal and humiliate you in front of everyone," Levi said. " It doesn't matter if they decided to create a slideshow and put all your embarrassing moments on there for the world to see.

"Don't let people see you sweat. Once they see you sweat they have control over you and they know that they're pushing your buttons," he continued. " If you were to went in there, hold your chin up high and show them that nothing phases you, they would eventually leave you alone I guarantee it but you let them win.

Anger raged through her like a starving pitbull and before she could stop herself, she pushed him. With all the power she had, she tried her best to push him of his feet, but he was much stronger than her. He stood tall, not moving a muscle.

"That's not true!" She yelled at the top of her lungs. " I'm tired of people fucking thinking that they can walk all over me with no ramifications! I'm sick and tired of people's opinions about my life and judging me! Just stop!"

She pushed him again, this time he stumbled back. " But isn't that what you did before?" He questioned. "You were them at one point? Sipping fancy champagne and wearing good ass clothes, judging people and had your opinions about others. What? Don't like how it feels."

The two stared down each other. Both upset about the outcome of tonight. His words hitting her like a ton of bricks. The truth would always sting. He stood there, waiting for her to respond. To object to his conclusions, but she couldn't.

So she did the only reasonable thing that she could think of...

She kissed him.

Thinking about that night again, made her shake her head in disbelief. In her eyes, it was a horrible night that could have been avoided.

Sinply by not going to the party.

She would not have argued and slapped Dove. Or even argue and end up kissing Levi. Something that could potential destroy their friendship. She hadn't talk to him since they hopped on a plane back to LA  a week ago. Not knowing if he was avoiding her was. stressful.

She thought that she should apologize and it was the right thing to do. Rae shot up from the couch and headed for the door, reaching for her keys off the table on her way there. It was late at night, but she was pretty sure that he was awake. If not, he would just have to suffer a conversation that was needed and couldn't be put off.

Locking the door behind her, she made her way up the awfully stench staircase to Levi apartment. Taking two stairs at a time, Rae patted her pocket for her cellphone, but came up short, remembering that she left it on the couch.

"Shit," she cursed.

She retraced her steps, going back down to her apartment. Once she got there, Rae unlocked her door and opened it, but before she could step through a callous hand covered her mouth and something hard pressed against her back. She froze, not a muscle in her body moved, scared that her attacker would know how afraid she was.

Watching alot of crime shows, she knew that she would have to see his face to make a positive ID. She tried to turn her head, but he pressed, what Rae believed to be a gun, harder into her back.

"Don't even try it prissy bitch!" He sneered into her ear.

His voice deep and laced with hatred. Her ears caught on quickly to the sound of his voice and her mind began to race a mile a minute.

It sounded familiar.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 295 23
A short and fun story with a happy end for those who look for something to lighten up their mood. When you are born to a rich family, you are obligat...
201K 5.1K 35
Hailey Baxter signed a marriage contract with Xavier Anderson, billionaire of Anderson Inc, as she needed money to pay for her mother's hospital bill...
71.9K 2K 29
Book 1: The Rules of Diana Book 2: The Rules of Reid Reid Maxwell has lived in Italy for 10 years, studying art and becoming one of the most famous...
1M 26.2K 30
"Give me my shirt. And my underwear." I look up at his messy hair and his red lips-all because of me-and suddenly lose my breath. "Or what?" He pulls...