Professor Layton and the Memo...

By EffervescentElixir

Set after 'The Lost Future'/'Unwound Future', 'Professor Layton and the Memories Of A Time Gone By' explores... More

Prologue: The Lost Future
1. A Mystery To Solve
2. The Thirst For Adventure
3. Next Stop... Dropstone!
5. Midnight Shadows
6. Trouble In Town
7. A Diverging Path
8. A Puzzle Among Others
9. Pieces Of A Puzzle
10. Move On The Castle
11. Lost Soul
12. The Investigation Begins
13: Moonlight Madness
14. Faith and Mysteries
15. Heartbreaker
16. Turning Point
17. Traps And Rescues
18. I am Undying
19. The End

4. The Quiet Village

1K 31 15
By EffervescentElixir

Hershel and Dimitri strolled the quiet streets of Dropstone, searching for someone, anyone. There were still people there, but they were so few, and those they did talk to were most unhelpful. It was almost time to return to the Molentary Express when one curious individual offered their assistance.

The Professor, Luke and Flora had met him before. His name was Wurtzer and he wore a blue sweater and sported red trousers and green shoes. He was not a very tall man and both Hershel and Dimitri towered over him. Flora giggled, keeping to herself that the man looked very much like an egg.

When the Professor had last met him, he had hinted at the place they could be heading for. Unaware at the time, Wurtzer had been alluding that the Molentary Express' final destination was indeed the mysterious town of Folsense.

They found Wurtzer cutting some wooden cubes in half along a tree-lined path. He had set up a small crafting table next to the trees and looking up, he saw Hershel and grinned heartily.

"Well if it isn't the great Professor Layton. You really did put this town on the map."

"It doesn't seem to have gotten many visitors," Dimitri remarked jokingly.

"Folsense was also put on the map, naturally. When you put the two besides each other, many prefer to go to Folsense. I don't blame them. After all, who would want to live in a small, boring, countryside village when compared with the town of mysteries and wonder?"

Hershel frowned slightly. "You do not seem at all pleased, Mr...?"

"Just call me Wurtzer. And yes, I am not too chirpy.  You see... No, I shouldn't be bothering you with my troubles."

"We wouldn't wish to impose in your private affairs."

"Well, I don't see the harm... Oh fine, I am a bit choffed. Not because half the town is gone, but because one person in particular, Madeline... She left me just as I was about to ask her on a date..."

"That is most unfortunate. Well we should leave you to your... cube cutting."

Dimitri raised his eyebrow as Hershel tipped his hat and turned to leave. Something was not right. Although Hershel was keeping the gentleman shield on, he was slipping. Perhaps I should have given him a few more days... he thought miserably. No! That would only have made him worse!

The pair stopped as Wurtzer continued.

"Oh this... This is just a hobby of mine. Making puzzle cubes. I would sell them at the market when it used to be..."

"It is not well that these events have happened," Dimitri muttered grimly. "One rarely sees the negatives when faced with all the positives in front of them. Folsense is prospering, but Dropstone is struggling to thrive..."

"It has not been easy."

"Why do you not just simply move to Folsense?"

"I've thought of that many times... but sadly I just can't find the strength to leave. I grew up here. Now Mr. Anderson is gone and I have lost my best friend... I still can't leave though... So why are you two here anyway? Surely you did not visit just for a friendly chat!"

Dimitri's eyes widened as he remembered the real reason they were on this little search.

"Well actually, we were wondering whether you have any news of strange activities in the town. A peculiar group of people inquiring about something called... Legulus. It is quite fine if-"

"You came to the right person. I know many things, as the great Professor knows. I can tell you that yes indeed there has been just that. A group of men in suits and hats. They came to the village the other day during the middle of the night. If it hadn't been for the sleepless nights I've had, I wouldn't have noticed anything at all!

I was in the kitchen, procuring meself a glass o' water and there was this dreadful itch along my..." He chuckled lightly, stopping as he realised that the two men's faces were both serious. He gulped and then continued.

"Well, anyway, I saw them from my window. They went down Mansion Road. That leads on to Mr. Anderson's house and I wondered what they were doing. They looked right menacing, so I didn't try and investigate. I would have followed them, but I was afraid. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I was just too terrified. They were all carrying guns..."

"It is understandable," Hershel nodded, smiling for the first time during the conversation. "You did the right thing. It is the duty of every gentleman to never place oneself in danger when the odds are against them."

Dimitri glanced at Hershel and then back at Wurtzer. Hershel was really worrying him, but there was nothing he could do about it. As if the Professor hadn't thrown himself into challenges where the odds were against him! It was almost a daily occurrence for him!

"Well, I didn't hear of a Legolas, or whatever that is, but I do know that they returned not two hours later. Surprise surprise, wouldn't you know it, I was having trouble sleeping after their appearance so I was up when they came back. They looked furious. Obviously this thing they were looking for couldn't be found in the Anderson mansion. Anyway, I'm just glad it's all over."

"They didn't find what they were looking for," Hershel echoed. "Well, that is some pleasing news."

"Yes, indeed!" Dimitri agreed. "Thank you for your co-operation, Wurtzer. You have helped us more than you may realise."

Wurtzer's face lit up and he almost dropped the cube he was holding.

"It was my pleasure."

"Oh, and remember to consider moving to Folsense. It may be hard, but I don't think you'll find much happiness here anyway."

"I might just do that. I might..." For Madeline! he thought aloud to himself as the Professor and his friend had turned around the corner. "For Madeline..."

*****

The pair reached the Molentary Express just as Sammy came thundering out the door, his shrill voice booming throughout the empty streets of Dropstone. Time to leave.

The few passengers that had bothered to exit the train and explore for the hour, climbed aboard, but Hershel and Dimitri waited outside for Flora. They had asked Sammy if they could hold the train for just a few more minutes until Flora arrived.

It had been a few minutes, and then Sammy came up from behind them and tapped Hershel on the shoulder.

"Hey, Prof and ex-evil dude, we're leaving now. We can't hold the train anymore for the little lass."

"Surely you can hold it for just two more minutes!" Dimitri protested, but Sammy only shook his head.

"Some passengers are complaining. My uncle always says to not ruin the other passengers time because of a few. But, I'll tell you what. I'll give her one minute. That's fair, yeah?"

"Well it is better than no time." Hershel said, crossing his arms. "Thank you for the assistance, Sammy."

"No problem, Professor!"

Sammy turned and danced off into the Molentary Express. Hershel and Dimitri were left in silence.

"This is most troublesome news..." Hershel muttered.

"Yes, if Miss Reinhold isn't fast enough...."

"That is worrying news too, but I was more concerned about these men. These must be the Legentis members you mentioned."

"Yes, I have no doubt that those men were Legentis goons that were looking for the Legulus in the Anderson mansion. They must have assumed that Mr. Anderson, a man of great wealth, would have the Legulus there. Evidently, they did not do their research; else they would have known that Mr. Anderson is living in Folsense with his family."

"Hmm..."

"Alright, Hershel. We need to talk!"

Dimtiri crossed his arms and stood firmly in front of the Professor.

"About what?"

"You know what. It is clear that your feelings are clouding your head. I didn't assume that this adventure would just drive it out of you straight away, but I did assume that you would at least have been able to cope if you were distracted by other tasks. I see this is not the case."

"Do not worry about me, Dimitri. I am more than capable of solving this mystery."

"Are you? I find myself doubting that more and more as each hour passes!"

Hershel pulled his hat down a fraction and stared straight into Dimitri's eyes.

"I did say don't worry, so I would appreciate it if you didn't push the matter."

Dimitri gasped, but didn't say anything. Hershel's tone was completely serious and it had even frightened him a bit. To see the calm, collected Hershel Layton speak in that tone was baffling. To provoke him any further would not have yielded happy results.

At least he didn't yell...

Sammy came rocketing in from the train doors and he frowned as he noticed the absence of their final passenger.

"Alright. I do have one idea..." He raised his microphone to his mouth and took a long, deep inhale of air. "THE MOLENTARY EXPRESS IS ABOUT TO DEEEPAAART! LAST CALL BEFORE WE ARE READY TO ROCK AND ROOOOLLLL!!!"

On a hill a mile from Dropstone, birds took flight, disturbed by Sammy's thunderous beckon.

Still, Flora did not appear.

"Sorry, Professor. I can't hold the train any longer. Maybe we'll see the little lass on our return trip. Yeah, and you'll have a lot to tell her!"

The energetic conductor headed back inside and soon the train started to rumble as it started up. Hershel and Dimitri stood in the doorway, holding the door open in case Flora came running in at the last second.

"What shall we do, Hershel? I don't think we can just leave her."

"And we cannot wait for another train. The Molentary Express is the only train that will go this way, but it will not stop in Dropstone for another few days at least... Sammy was only presenting an optimistic face..."

"Perhaps I shall wait here. You go on. Hershel. You can solve this mystery, not me. I shall find Miss Reinhold and book lodgings until the train returns."

"No," Hershel sighed. "I am her guardian. It is time I started acting like one. You go ahead. I shall wait."

"Hershel, I-"

"Flora is my responsibility. She means..." Hershel sighed once more, tipping his hat. "She means a great deal to me."

The train whistle blew and Dimitri jumped on the spot. Hershel lowered his hat even further so his eyes were veiled.

"I will not..." Hershel croaked.

"Will not what, Hershel?" Dimitri probed, trying to meet the Professor's eyes which were now too far covered by the brim of the hat. He did manage to see a glimmer on Hershel's cheek. It moved down slowly and then Dimitri pressed his lips into a line.

"I will not lose another..."

"Forget this talk of losing anyone!" Dimitri grumbled, pulling at an imaginary moustache. "It's not like you won't see her again. You shall have this mystery solved in no time. A few days and you'll see her smiling face in your office as she pours you both a nice cup of tea."

"Then it is settled. I shall wait. It is time I did something. I will wait for Flora!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120K 1.4K 102
#42 in Divergent (08/15/2018) #7 in Tris Prior (08/15/2018) #8 in Tobias Eston (08/15/2018) Disclaimer: I do not own the Divergent Series. FourTris p...
2.6K 55 8
Future Luke x Reader Warning: it contains massive spoilers from "Professor Layton and the Lost Future". The story "Innamoramento" (current chapter 2)...
23.9K 914 48
[COMPLETE] "How can you live your life if you can't create new memories?" "How can I move forward when I'm stuck in the past?" "I know that the s...
800 78 22
(An original character spin-off story of 'Professor Layton: Memories of A Time Gone By' and 'Professor Layton: Love In All Adversities'. Note: This i...