HONEYDEW (A murder mystery)

By voracious_writer

#1 What's hot list Aleena is extremely distraught by her father's tragic death. But what follows is a series... More

NOTE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Not an update
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15~
Chapter 16~
Chapter 17~
Chapter 18~
Chapter 19~
Chapter 21~
Chapter 22~
<Chapter 23>
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Not an update
~EPILOGUE~
~Ecstatic~
~Acknowledgment~
~One-shot / Poem~

Chapter 20~

7.4K 641 90
By voracious_writer

Aahil turned pale, it was visibly clear that he was astonished by what he heard. He was trying his best to calm himself by breathing in and out. We exchanged puzzled looks as my mind churned with numerous emotions.

I sat there stunned. I couldn't bear to think of Uncle Haroon as a traitor or as a person responsible for dad's death. He was like a father figure, someone who was dear to my heart. We had stuck together through thick and thin.

"You just cannot doubt someone without proof," I said hurriedly, hoping the discussion would end.

Aahil tightened his grip on my hands, "I understand your dilemma. But at this point, we cannot afford to trust anyone."

"But that does not give us the right to doubt innocent people," I reasoned. The more I thought of Uncle Haroon as a traitor, the more my heart sank.

"We aren't blaming him. Just suspecting," Dilshad replied, trying to calm me.

I was filled with sudden foreboding, "I don't know what ......"

"So precisely, for how long has your family know Mr.haroon?" Detective Hamilton asked holding his pen on a clean paper, ready to jot down whatever escaped my lips.

"I have known him and his family forever and most probably he has even put me to sleep by singing a lullaby, when I was a child," I did not want to do this. It felt so wrong to put him on that spot. "Even though we weren't blood-related, he and dad were like brothers. I have never witnessed them fight. He is one of the most honest people I have ever known. So it is impossible for him to be ever be involved in anything that could harm my dad or any member of my family," I went on blabbering in haste to make them understand my point.

"The prospect of becoming rich, famous and successful can turn a sane person into a monster," Lissa exclaimed.

Ok. That was it. I did not have the heart to sit around and be a part of this conversation.

I got up abruptly, "You'll-you'll have to excuse me. I'm not feeling fine."

Aahil was instantly apologetic, "Aleena please calm down, sweetheart," He got up from his place, "Let's have a break and continue the discussion later. I'm sure Ms.Mariam will be glad to serve us lunch."

True his words, A male servant entered inviting everyone to the dining hall where lunch was served.

A hearty meal was prepared and the table was elaborately lined with various dishes. There was biryani, chicken ghee roast, flavoured yoghurt, prawn and french fries, fruit salad and red velvet cheesecake for dessert.
Even though the food had the rich aroma coming from it, it did not tempt me the way it usually did.

My hand was still firmly held by Aahil and his touch gave me some reassurance that everything was going to be fine.

I sat down at the table as everyone began taking their respective seats. I picked at the meal in a desultory fashion as I struggled to understand what I had been told.

Was I listening to the ravings of some unknown detective? And doubting the people who would go to any length if I were to need them.

I hade no appetite. I gave up on the meal and humbly excused myself. Slow and mindless steps took me to our private terrace, the cool gush of wind blew across and I let it wash over me.

My temple was throbbing from the sudden headache I had developed and I closed my eyes, not quite sure whether I was even conscious as I felt myself being enveloped in a warm hug. Hard hands curved to my hips from behind as he pulled me against him.

My heartbeat set overdrive.
Cautiously I leant against him.

"Did you offer your Zuhr namaz," Aahil questioned as he massaged my forehead.

I shook my head.

"Come let's go, it's already very late," Aahil informed as we went hand in hand to our bedroom.

I performed my ablution and changed into black and blue abaya, adjusted my hijab perfectly so that no hair was visible and took my place in the prayer mat behind Aahil, as he led the prayers.

After namaz, he recited a few Quranic verses about patience. He had the most beautiful voice and recited with such precision that it touched my heart and I felt all my earlier tensions disappearing.

After namaz, I thanked Allah for blessing me with such a wonderful husband. When I opened my eyes after supplication, I found him staring at me.

I raised my eyebrows, "What?"

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"It's just that you have such serene beauty that I find it hard to lower my gaze when I'm around you."

"You don't need to lower your gaze, I'm your wife," I bit my tongue hard and tasted blood. How much more could I embarrass myself?

I quickly got up and folded my prayer mat and completely avoided looking at him, but seconds later when he gently turned my face towards him and I saw the desire in his eyes. I stiffened.

Suddenly I was filled with panic and I did not want it to happen, so before he could kiss me, I tried to wriggle free from his hold and pushed him hard on the chest. He instantly let go of me and snatching in a ragged breath started walking away.

"Aahil."

"Watching my wife cringe from my touch has to be equivalent to ten cold showers at once," Aahil replied flatly, his nostrils flaring.

"It just that you caught me off guard," I replied shakily.

I still did not know whether I loved him and did not want to take this relationship to the next level until I had my feelings sorted. Otherwise, I wouldn't be honest with myself if I simply went with the flow and led him to believe that I had developed feelings for him when it wasn't true.

"I would never use force on you. What kind of a man do you think I am?" Aahil asserted with raw-edged hauteur.

"Don't you like me touching you?" He questioned with a low voice.

"I want to be alone right now," I blurted out without thinking.

"Fine, if that is what you want," He turned around and walked down the stairs.

Did I really want to be left alone?

I did not understand myself anymore. Maybe, Aahil was correct in comparing me to a Chinese puzzle box.

When I asked him to leave, I had deep down wished him to rebel against my wishes as he usually did, as I was having a hard time communicating with a new version of my husband who was being extremely sweet and caring.

I heard my cell phone beep and I found a text from Lisa.

"Assalamu alaikum. Please come down to the living room, all of us have gathered. I'm sorry."

I urged myself to go down even though I did not wish to, as my headache had turned severe.

I entered the living room to be greeted with a couple of salam to which I replied with politeness and took my seat next to Aahil but he was avoiding my gaze.

"Let's resume the discussion," Dilshad said loudly.

"We cannot do it if you do not wholeheartedly participate in this discussion," Detective Hamilton prompted uneasily.

I nodded my head.

"Don't you wish for justice to be established as soon as possible? To see the person who killed your father behind the bars?"

I kept silent.

"He could be very dangerous. We are in dark regarding the number of his crimes. For all we know he might even have all the information on the UPSIDE project with him and it can be used to hurt innocent people."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, "I will try my best to cooperate."

"Why have you involved me into this? I'm getting quite bored," Lissa complained.

"That is the reason kids aren't allowed to be a part of serious discussion, as they do not possess the ability to process the importance a matter could hold," Dilshad answered her.

"Few men tend to think they are very smart and can solve world problems but in reality, they don't even know to tie their shoe-lace," Lissa said with the bored expression, her eyes resting on Dilshan's feet.

"Dilshad your shoe-lace is truely tied in a very clumsy way. You should wear the modern ones which don't have lace in them," Detective Hamilton told with a serious note and Dilshad couldn't help but roll his eyes.

I and Lissa burst into booming laughter.

"Whatever," Dilshad flushed and added, "But women remain childish all their life and are not capable of finding solutions to problems as they themselves are a major problem."

"Then you haven't read Nancy drew. She can solve mysteries even before the police gets hold of the case," Lissa replied.

"Now who is Nancy drew?" Dilshad gritted between clenched teeth.

"Lissa and Dilshad could you both stop your argument," Aahil asked with an annoyed expression.

"But he doesn't know Nancy drew," Lissa retorted but stopped when she sensed Aahil's foul mood.

I kept my hand on his lap but he yanked it off and moved further away on the sofa. It was clearly visible that he was in one of his grim moods and I felt bad that I was partly responsible for it.

"Mrs Hussain, Did your father ever discuss work at home?"

"No. He never did that, as his work was so technical and we would hardly understand anything even if he tried."

"There has to be something you know or else he wouldn't leave a note saying that only you could lead us."

"I don't know. I can't remember him saying anything to me."

"Did he leave behind any property, money or valuables?"

"We belong to a middle-class family and fortunately or unfortunately we do not possess any such thing."

"Did your father not leave behind any savings?" Detective Hamilton questioned surprised.

"He had left a little money for my wedding but as my husband was generous enough to take care of all the wedding expenses the money remains untouched."

"Where is the money?"

"His lawyer must know that."

"Could you place a call to the lawyer?"

"Of course," Detective Hamilton snatched the phone before I had a chance to speak.

There was dead silence for the next couple of minutes until the detective finished conversing. He then turned towards me, "Aleena, your dad has left a generous amount of savings for the family, a lot of gold and diamond sets and a huge property in Ali's name."

I gaped at him open-mouthed.

"Are you going to tell us that you have no knowledge about it?"

I looked at Aahil, hoping that he would come for my rescue, but he was still in his sour mood.

"I know nothing," I replied meekly.

"And I assume that you don't know the password of your dad's security locker."

'Password,' I repeated as I was filled with sudden blinding panic.

____________________

What do you think of Aahil and Aleena's relationship?

Lissa and Dilshad?

Vote*comment*follow <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

418K 28.8K 43
She stare at her new room, decorated with roses and candles. Oh yeah, my wedding night! She felt like her inner self mocking her and she walked tow...
455K 21.2K 35
COMPLETED Waliya Ebrahim can count on one hand the times she's met Aahil Khan before they are wed. This may concern other girls, but for good Muslim...
11K 528 28
Ayeza was a modern girl,a lawyer by profession,all bubbly,full of life without worries.Getting entangled into a mystery of puzzles wasn't on her list...
52.7K 1.9K 45
"Arush! Please don't do or say something that you're going to regret later." "Just stop it, Aadhya! I thought you would know your limits but no, you...