The Dream Traveler

By The3dreamers

Being engaged to a fiery world that's lost in the darkness of her memory can be dangerous. In Acklemar, Wren... More

PITCH and BOOK TRAILER VIDEO
Chapter One-New Discoveries
Chapter One (part 2)-Tied in Knots
Chapter Two-She Drives Me Crazy
Chapter Two (Part 2)-Shackled NOT Bound
Chapter Three-Full Flame
Chapter Three -Lady's Sphere
Chapter Five - Remember
Chapter Six-Pandora's box?
Chapter Six (part two)-A Prophecy
Chapter Seven - What Have You Done?
Seven (part two)-I'm Not the Only One.
Chapter Eight - Let's Play Darts
Chapter Eight (Part 2)-I'm a freak
Chapter Nine-What have I done?
Chapter Ten-Spellbound
Chapter Ten-Busted (part two)
Chapter Eleven-- One Hundred Percent
Chapter Eleven (Part Two)--Caught
Chapter Eleven (Part Three) --Taking our Welts
Chapter Twelve--Not the only one with secrets
Chapter Twelve--(part two) Birdie
Chapter Thirteen--So Romantic (part one)
Chapter Thirteen- Changing the Rules (Part 2)
Chapter Thirteen - Keep and Key (Part Three)
Chapter Fourteen--Welcome to the Keep.
Chapter Fourteen (Part Two)--Only One Option
Chapter Fifteen--Under My Skin
Fifteen (Part Two)--When You Need Me Most
Chapter Fifteen (Part Three)--Throwing the Torch
Chapter Sixteen--Ready to Fight
Chapter Sixteen (Part Two)--Not alone.
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Seventeen (Part two)--267th moon
Chapter Seventeen (Part three)-Wanna Bet?
Chapter Eighteen--That changes everything
Chapter Eighteen (Part 2)--Can't touch this.
The Dream Charmer (THIRD BOOK)

Chapter Four-Traitor

3.9K 381 147
By The3dreamers

(Astra speaking)

"Astra, did you see that?" Josie stopped walking and turned to see if I had seen it too.

It'd be hard to miss a flame that lit up the sky like a fireworks display. It would have taken some raw power to throw a torch of that size too. A few of the Fire Circle's guard could do it, but they wouldn't give away their position like that. That left—Wren.

"Josie, I think anyone within ten plains saw that flare go into the air," Rygar said rolling his eyes, throwing his hand into the sky.

"Knock it off you two. We aren't the only ones out—" Vega's words cut short. She stumbled at the same time her eyes sparked a bright blue. She gasped at the vision taking hold. Her hand outstretched searching for mine.

"I'm here, Vega," I said grasping her hand. The moment our skin touched, I was sucked into what she was seeing. The images were coming fast—too quick to watch the scene play out. The moons were high in the night sky, and the word traitor floated on the air. Wren was running through the trees with a stream of fire lighting the night sky behind her. No sooner than the clip began, the Circle forced us out, tossing us both on the ground.

I got up and dusted myself off. "That girl has a veil of protection around her so strong. It's amazing we saw that much." I reached down and helped Vega up. "You okay?"

She nodded. "If you hadn't grabbed my hand I would have lost that one before it began. What do you think? The moons were higher in the sky and more from that angle."

I looked to where she was pointing and nodded. "That's probably a plain from here and given where the moons are now. We have about a turn, maybe a turn and a half, if we're lucky to get there."

Rygar adjusted his bow and tightened the straps on his pack. "Looks like we have to move. Everyone up for a little nighttime jog?" He stretched out one leg, and then the other.

Josie sighed. "Do I have a choice?"

"Nope. And there aren't any gates set up around here. So it's just us against the elements," he said like he loved every minute of this.

"I hate you. You know that, right?"

"What? This was what we've been training for. It's about time we get to use our skills and athletic abilities." He started to jog down the path.

"Training's one thing, running's another," she grumbled.

I laughed. There was a reason why Josie was our best portal creator in the guild. She'd read every book in the library learning how to build gates in the most extreme conditions. When others had to jog to new locations to set up sites, she had figured out how to tap into existing portals avoiding the extra physical activity.

"You're not getting out of this one, I'm afraid." I put my hand on her shoulder.

"I know." She sighed and started down the path. "It doesn't mean I have to like it."

Vega wrinkled her brow and twisted the end of her braid around her finger. Before Wren had disappeared, they had been best of friends. Inseparable. "You think she'll be all right?" she asked.

I'd seen what she had. It was hard to say. "We'll know when we get there. No sense worrying about things that have yet to pass. Right?"

She nodded and took a deep breath and drove her feet into the dirt. The determination on her face said there was no way she wasn't going to be there when her friend needed her the most.

I thumbed my charms, took one last look at the sky and started down the path after them.

(Wren speaking)

The fire was bittersweet. While it warmed my toes and the soup we had for dinner, the guilt was burning me up inside. I should have said, no, to letting Jaxon help me.

Sage nudged me. "Wren, are you okay?"

"Hmm? Yeah, why?"

"I've said your name like five times and you sat there with that blank look on your face staring into the flames."

I looked around. "Where are the guys?"

"Kellan went to grab a few more twigs and logs for the fire and Robin went that way, I think to pee," she whispered. She adjusted her position on the log we were sitting on. "Can't be sure, but he said he'd be back in a couple minutes. So what's picking at you?"

"That transparent?" I brushed the dirt from my jeans.

"Well, maybe not quite as transparent as you were in the cafe when I found you and Kellan invisible. But, yeah, it's obvious."

"Want to know how I got that fire started?" I stared into the flames.

"That was awesome! I can't believe you figured out how to do that. Most people take years to figure out their ring partners abilities."

"Well, that's because I didn't exactly do it all by myself." I cringed as I made my confession to her.

Her eyes went wide as she took in what that meant. "Nooo. You mean, Jax? He was helping you?" Both her hands covered her cheeks, and she gasped. "Geez, do you think Kellan suspects?"

"I don't know. But I'm not exactly happy about accepting Jax's help."

"I can't believe he helped you. You have to tell me, what'd he say? Pleeeaase," she said begging drawing the word out.

I was just about to say no when she put her hands together and started whimpering like a puppy. "Fine." I sighed. "He could sense that I was calling for the fire somehow. That's when he connected to my thoughts. Don't ask me how, but he knew I was trying to win that competition against Kellan."

"Let me guess. He was more than happy to help kick his butt."

"Yup. He wasn't thrilled to hear what the winner got for winning. But he wasn't complaining that Kellan picked Robin as his bed partner."

"Good thing Kellan picked him! Can you imagine?"

"No. No, I can't."

"So that's why you just closed your hand on the flames. Huh?" She threw her arm around me, and I leaned my head on her shoulder.

"No, you can't what?" Kellan said as he strolled into camp. He put a couple of logs onto the fire and the dry wood crackled. "I know, you can't wait to get more of this." He ran his hands over the top of his t-shirt.

"That's not what we were talking about." Sage cocked her head to the side. "You know, not every conversation is about you."

"It should be."

"Ack-hem." Someone cleared their throat behind us.

Kellan glanced up, his eyes narrowed and his arms crossed his chest. "Traitor."

Sage and I glanced to see, what had caused his change of mood.

Robin was standing there with his hand in his back pockets with five Fire throne guards behind him. Oh, this was so not going to be good.

"Your Highness," the head guard spoke up.

I looked at Kellan assuming that was who he was speaking to. Kellan was fuming. He was clenching his fists so hard his fingers were blanching white. He wasn't looking at me, but staring down the guards.

Wren say something. The guard is talking to you, Kellan said in my head.

Me? Since when did people address me as Your Highness. I zipped Sage's hoodie a little higher before I turned around. I stood up and dusted myself off. "Yes?"

"Our First, demands your presence at the Keep, immediately."

I bet he did. It was already dark, and his soldiers looked like they had been traveling most the day. "Well, there's no way I'm going anywhere until morning."

My anger rose to the surface. Did mystery guard honestly believe I was just going to pack up and go with them? These strangers? My hand began to itch, and everyone's charms flickered. The head guard pursed his lips.

"Sorry, Highness. I have my orders."

No way I was going anywhere with him. Especially, to see King tyrant, their First, or whatever they wanted to call him. I tired of being told what to do. I took a deep breath and the fire soared high in the air behind me. Everyone's charms flickered again.

What the heck is going on? Jaxon said inside my head. I could feel him connect to my senses. Holy crap.

Already, said that. Now, if you can be of any help Jax, then now's the time. If not, then get out of my head. I'm a little busy.

Jaxon used my senses to take a look around to see who he knew. Whatever you do, don't let them take you. God. If my father sees you without me around to protect you— For some reason, I knew he was walking in circles dragging his hands through his hair.

Great. Got any better advice than that?

It's the guard's mandate to protect the inner circle and ensure their safety. Traveling at night with a lady would be considered contrary to that. Tell them you'll ensure they stand full court for not upholding their directive.

I shook out my tingling hands. "Well, good officer, myself and my Lady's Sphere, Sage, will not risk our lives by traveling at night. Not only is it dangerous, it's also downright stupid." I put my hand on my hips. "And last time I checked I thought it was your mandate to ensure the safety of the inner circle, not risk it."

The guard took a deep breath and looked conflicted by the decision he was being pressed to make.

"If you insist on taking us tonight, I will ensure you and your men stand full court for your actions."

Woo— Nicely said, darling! Jaxon said in compliment.

I swear I heard someone growl. Shut-up. I'm not your dear, darling or anything else. I'm still furious with you.

Tell that to those nice men in front of you and see what they say. I could feel Jaxon's grin through the connection. The fire behind me flared again, rising thirty feet in the air and then dropped back down. Temper, temper. I'm only trying to help, remember?

The guards were discussing the situation among themselves. Then the head guard turned back. "We have decided to stay the night. But, Your Highness might understand with your past disappearance, we must ensure you stay put." He pulled out a long rope. "Hands out," he ordered.

"Is that really necessary?"

"It is as long as you're under Fire Circle jurisdiction, it is. You and your Lady won't be going anywhere, until morning. Promise." He wrapped the rope around my wrists. "We wouldn't want you to trip and break that royal neck of yours. I think the First wants the privilege of that all to himself."

No one talks like that to you, ever, Jaxon said fuming. It's not only a direct insult to you but me as well. Tell, Zac, the next time he sees me he can expect more than a little payback for his treatment of you. Ask him if he remembers what happened to the last head of the guard.

Zac was tying the ropes, so tight they were cutting into my wrists.

"Hey, Zac," I leaned in close and whispered so no one else could hear. "Jaxon wants to know if you remember what happened to the last head of the guard."

He jerked his eyes up to meet mine. "B-but, I'm just doing my job."

"I don't think Jax cares. He says you've insulted him, and he's got a little payback coming your way."

"You're lying."

I shrugged. "I don't think so."

He looked up at Kellan and then back at me. "If you're still cozy with the Second, then why is king water boy here? You're up to something, and I'm going to figure it out." He led me by my hands to the closest tree and tied off the knots.

"Try calling me water boy again. I dare you." The sky turned gray and thundered above us. Kellan cracked his knuckles.

"Your Highness, my apologies, please excuse my bad manners." He gave a deep bow addressing Kellan. "It won't happen again. We are only here to take care of Fire Circle matters. Of course, we mean no interference with the Water Circle.

"I think you forget yourself, guard. I outrank you, and this is my camp and my guests. And therefore my jurisdiction."

One guard was holding Sage as she struggled and another was trying to tie her hands. When the guy grabbed her wrist, she smiled and took a deep breath and a red charm lit up on her necklace.

The man screamed, "My fingers!" He held up both of his hands. All his fingers looked like they had been crushed in a car door. Then I heard a loud crack and the other guard dropped to the ground holding his arm crying out in pain. "She broke my arm!" he yelled.

"What is wrong with you two? There's no way one petite lady could inflict all the pain you both are going on about. So stop playing around."

Sage stood there looking innocent like she had no idea what they were talking about.

"No way, I'm not going anywhere near that witch," broken arm guy replied.

"I second that," the other one said holding his hands in the air.

"Fine. Lysander and Zeek, can..." He looked around, and they were nowhere in sight.

Sage untied my hands. I started to laugh when I spotted the rest of his team. Still not having seen where they had gone he turned and gave me a sharp look. So, I pointed up.

His other two men were hanging high in the branches above, upside down and bound tight by the tree's wooden ropes. Leaves were shoved in their mouths muffling their cries.

"Robin—traitor!" he grumbled. The head guard's hands lit up in flames.

"I've been getting that a lot, today. Maybe try something more original," Robin responded.

A branch slithered behind the guard like Robin was about to drag him to the top of the tree tops too.

"Hold up, Robin. This one is all mine," Kellan said grabbing the guard's shoulder. "Now, Zac. You've insulted me, tried to tie my guests up, and intruded into my camp uninvited. So, you'll know according to our laws I won't have broken any when I do this."

But before Kellan could do anything, Zac threw a fireball at him. Kellan flicked his hand and let a stream of water loose. It formed a water noose and looped around the fiery ball's core choking it into smoke. Kellan bobbed his head under Zac's jab, getting in close enough to throw an uppercut underneath Zac's chin—snapping his head back. A block of ice formed around Kellan's fist and shattered into a million pieces when he landed a left hook across Zac's jaw sending him backward. Zac crumpled to the ground in a defeated heap next to the two injured guards.

Woo! I gotta get me some popcorn! Yeah! Jaxon hollered in my head. Now get out of there. They won't be the—

His word cut off when I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, blowing out any of the anger I was still holding. I had to get him out of my head. I imagined my mind calming, no emotion. No more fire. The moment I thought that, I felt the flames go out behind me and could smell the smoke rise from its smoldering wood. And Jaxon was gone.

When I opened my eyes, Sage already had her bag slung over her shoulder and passed me the other. The two injured guards were bound up tight next to the bush shelter.

When I turned to see where Kellan was, I flattened myself against his chest, not realizing he had been standing behind me. "Geez, you have got to stop doing that. Personal space. You know it's an imaginary box about this big." I drew it with my hands.

He raised an eyebrow and folded his arms over his chest again. "So, when were you going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"Wren..." He tapped my forehead with his finger. "About Jaxon. I heard every word."

Hi, Traveler fans! Thanks for all your support. Hope you liked the latest installment. 

Little stars and comments welcome. ...and Appreciated. ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 993 52
{{ THIS BOOK IS THE FOURTH INSTALLMENT IN THE TITULAR SERIES. PLEASE READ THE FIRST THREE BOOKS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THE FOURTH. LOVE Y'ALL ♥}} The...
29 4 3
This Spring Festival should be like any other but everything changes when Sasha's younger sister hears the Whispering One. Unlike the rest of her fa...
1.5K 51 11
This world has always been destined to end, people always try desperately hard to live, Wattpad from the olden days created a world where people coul...
507 123 11
Pain, Betrayal, Magic. Three things Alara has experienced in extreme ways, leaving her with wounds that run deep. After enduring so much, she finall...