If I Didn't Have You; nalu

By jerrift

In celebration of his high school graduation, Natsu and his friends go to a ski resort. While exploring on h... More

2: Lucy
3: Wish
4: Lockser
5: Serendipity
6: Hiraeth
7: Mellifluous
8: Quondam
9: Kismet

1: Incipient

5.6K 223 306
By jerrift

✩°。⋆*❀✿❀✿゚.*・。゚

Natsu's POV

"...thank you." Were the final words that I emitted into the microphone. I proudly made my way down the aisle as everyone cheered and clapped. I was on top of the world, and I was elated that my speech came out the way I imagined it. 

My high school graduation ceremony soon came to an end, shortly afterwards. It was a bitter sweet moment for me; I was finally leaving my final years of adolescence and moving forward .

"Call me sometime!" My friend Lisanna winked at me, "We can go celebrate at a club later or something."

A few other girls had come to me and given me their numbers, which I politely accepted.

"I'm very proud of you." My old man congratulated me, as we met up at the bottom steps of the Ferez high school.

A stripper, an iron freak, and Jellal walked towards us. "Congrats on being valedictorian!" Gray gave me a fist bump.

"Thanks man."

"Natsu." My father cleared his throat, "I booked a cabin for us in a ski resort for a week." He glanced at my friends and smiled, "You can bring some friends along if you would like."

"Dad, you shouldn't have-," A feeling of guilt quickly washed over me, but before I could change his mind he cut me off. 

He shook his head and smiled , "No, it's fine. It's only a small reward anyways."

I turned to everyone, "You guys in?"

"Hell yeah!" Gajeel roared, with Jellal nodding along.

"It's going to be cool!" Gray yelled.

In the end, Gray, Jellal, and Gajeel agreed to tag along.

xXx

"Let's go sleddding first!" Jellal exlaimed. We all agreed and after leaving our luggage at the resort we left to go sledding. My father stayed behind, insisting he wanted to enjoy the warmth of the fireplace.

"So what do you guys plan on becoming?" Gajeel asked as he carried his board in one hand.

I shrugged, "I'm not sure yet. I'll figure it out soon enough though." I wrapped my white scarf around my neck, since the cold air kept hitting my face and body.

"Me neither." Jellal said and placed his red beanie on his slighly damp hair.

"I want to be a producer, or something that involves the media." Gray proudly stated, making us chuckle.

"What about you metal freak?" Gray asked.

"I think I'll pursue my dream of becoming a singer. That's the only thing I'm good at anyways." Over the course of four years, Gajeel had to go to rehab to control his problem of substance abuse. He was the ultimate delinquent at the start of high school. I never imagined being friends with someone like him; we were two different people working on different paths. But, the more I got to know him, the closer we got. A year later, he decided it was time to get serious. He tried to quit is old ways, and one of the things that helped him through the ordeal: was singing. 

"Aren't you cold?" Jellal asked. He shivered as he stared at Gray who looked like a lunatic since he wasn't wearing a shirt.

"Nah, this is nothing." That bastard kept repeating, "I'm used to this. It's like my natural habitat."

"Let's go over there!" Gajeel pointed towards a large hill. "There's an ocean on the other side."

"How is it not crowded? There's no one there." Gray noticed, it was nearly empty and the only people I could see were camping at the bottom.

"It's probably because it's getting late. I think it's almost eight or something. Anyways I'm starving, I'll meet you guys there, I'll go get a quick burger." He pointed towards the stands that were nearby.

"I'll join too!" Jellal grinned, "I'm in the mood for cake, I don't know why?"

"You sound pregnant or something." Gray snickered, "But I actually have to take a piss, so wait up for me."

I shrugged, "I'll just meet you at the top."

They nodded and went to do their own thing.

xXx

After a quick jog I finally made it towards the top. I looked around, admiring the view. There was light snow on the ground and the trees had a christmas atmosphere to it, which made sense, since it was January.

I walked towards the cliff to get a closer view of the ocean, but stopped in tracks when I noticed a figure standing extremely close to it, at the very edge.

The figure, who I could now make out as a girl, started singing. It started as a low humming but soon progressed into words that I couldn't hear. I was slightly frightened and thought it was a ghost.

"Hello?" I called out. Startled, the girl slowly turned around to face me. I instantly blushed at the sight of her.

Her golden hair was long but covered by the hood of her navy trench coat. Her leather boots had slight snow on them, but what caught my attention, were her eyes.

She had been crying. She quickly wiped her tears away, "What do you want?" She spat in an angered tone.

"I-Im sorry, I,-" before I could continue, she ran away. I was going to chase after but before I could, a small journal fell out from the open pocket of her trench coat.

I walked over to pick it up and tried calling her but she had disappeared from my sight.

With my curiosity increasing by the second, I opened the leather journal. A picture fell out of it, and I took a closer look. A tall blond guy that seemed to be around my age was leaning on the blonde that I had just seen. She seemed a few years younger in it though. Another scarlet haired girl was in the middle with her arms wrapped around both of them and a small blue haired girl wearing an orange dress stood next to them smiling.

From what I could tell, they looked like they had just been at a party or a big event. The guy was wearing a suit and the other girls were wearing fancy dresses. I couldn't help but stare at the blonde girl.

She seemed a lot happier and her eyes were lit up.

I continued reading through the journal, which at this point I assumed was her diary. The dates started from back two years ago.

Year x785

Dear Mom,

I visited both you and Laxus today. Dad couldn't join me because he was busy with work. I placed a variety of flowers on your grave, I hope you like it.

Year x785

Dear Mom,

I've noticed that Dad has been buying more beer and wine lately. I told him to stop, but he only pushed me aside. Also, today Erza collapsed during class. The ambulance had to come for her. I'm very worried.

Year x785

Dear Mom,

It's been 3 months since the incident. The doctors found a tumor inside Erza. I'm paying for her medical bills because her parents can't. They thanked me and promised to pay back, but it's okay if they can't. Erza promised me that she'll get better and make it to graduation.

Year x785

Dear Mom,

Dad was upset because we were close to going bankrupt. He hit me a couple times and told me he wished I should have died and not Laxus.

Year x786

Dear Mom,

Erza lied. I just couldn't bring myself to go. Today was her funeral. She didn't make it through. I can't do it anymore.

Year x786

Dear Mom,

It's been half a year since i wrote in here. Dad joined you. He overdosed on his medical pills one morning. The doctors did the best they could but it wasn't enough. The company is still up and running. Our family friend Loke volunteered to help for a while.

Year x787

Dear family,

I don't want to write in this anymore. I don't want to know what happens in the future, I miss you all. I want to join you. I don't think my death will impact anyone. No one would show up at my funeral anyways, so I might as well go down in the ocean. My best friend Levy doesn't know about this. She's trying to keep her distance from me. Everyone says I bring bad luck.

The final page only said "Dear" and didn't continue on.

I hadn't realized that tears were forming in my eyes at this point.

I ran towards the direction I last saw her, "Anyone there?" I shouted.

A twig snapped behind me, and I turned to face a blonde girl hiding behind a tree.

✩°。⋆*❀✿❀✿゚.*・。゚

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 253 13
After Lucy doesn't go on a job with Natsu, later he finds a guy kissing her. Upset he leaves. He doesn't get why his heart hurts and goes away on a m...
204K 5.7K 21
When Lucy finally realizes she likes Natsu after a certain White-haired mage, "accedently" pushes Lucy which caused her to trip and fall on Natsu and...
5.7K 320 23
This story is shown as a completely fictional future... Natsu has only lived by the rules they gave him, he's known no other way to live but by liste...
64.1K 1.3K 31
Lucy started her new semester at her school. New classmates, new friends, what happened if her personality can't fit in toward new people? She met Na...