The Law of Attraction [Chris...

By UnderMySkin

Dr. Alice Blake is the psychologist at NASA who worked closely with the crew of each Ares mission. When Mitch... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue

Chapter 10

4.3K 111 54
By UnderMySkin

Nine Years Ago

Chris had Alice against the door in a second, one hand upon her hips to pull her against him, the other underneath her hairline. His lips grazed over hers, not quite kissing her just yet. She arched her back and slid her foot up the door. Her skirt hung over her thigh, shadowing some of her body, and yet revealing the majority of her toned thighs. Chris's hand upon her hip moved down to the outside of her thigh, moving over her smooth skin starting at her bent knee and upwards to her skirt. When his hand crept under the fabric of her skirt, his lips collided with hers and the sparks flew. Her hands were unbuttoning what was left of his shirt, and when it was opened, she dragged both of her hands down his strong body. Feeling every ripple, every subtle childhood scar, every inch of him.

Step by step down the hall, clothing was hastily removed.

Halfway to the bedroom, he had her against the wall. Both their shirts were discarded seconds prior, one of her heels had been kicked off at the door. His jeans were unbuttoned, hardly clinging to his hips. Alice had her lip between her teeth and her hands in his hair as he slid her skirt off. It pooled to the ground below them. His hand held her ankle, the other sliding down her firm calf muscle. When he reached her remaining heel, he carefully removed it. He put her foot back down and looked up at her from his knees; she wore only a strapless black bra and matching black underwear. He was not nervous, he was astounded by her. Her teeth released her red lip, and her hands unclasped her bra. Pulling it from her body, she dropped it to the ground beside them. Chris hooked his fingers in the only article of clothing left on her, sliding them down her legs slowly, dauntingly. A teasing look in his blue eyes made her next breath shudder.

Chris stood back up, sliding his fingertips up her calves, thighs, hips, waist, around her hands, up her arms, until he reached her chin. Tilting her head up, he kissed her again, this time deeper. His hips pressed against hers, and she could feel him against her. She moaned lightly into the kiss, rolled her hips, and gained a pleasurable growl from Chris. He lifted her legs up, and she wrapped them around his hips tightly. Still kissing, their tongues dancing, their breathing staggered, Chris walked blindly down the hall. His hand released his grip on her thighs when he pushed open his bedroom door. Walking over to the bed, he lowered her gently, and then stood back. She looked up at him with eagerness in her eyes, and watched as he stepped out of his jeans at last.

His hands caressed her, his lips kissed her; it was as if he was savouring her. He crawled between her legs, kissing her stomach and between her breasts, her throat, her lips. Alice ran her hands through his short, soft brown hair. When their lips locked and he took their intimacy to another level, both of them moaned. His hands gripped hers, bringing her arms over her head. Their fingers were interlocked, and Chris was looking into her green eyes as she got lost in his ocean blue ones. Their breathing was mismatched, their heartbeats were rapid, their movements were elegant, the passion between them was unmatched by any other feeling in this world. It was as though they were the only people on the entire planet, only the night stars and the moon as company.

And for the night, they were in love.

But in the morning she was gone.

Chris woke to an empty bed, the sheet hardly covering his body as he reached over to feel the emptiness, just hoping his mind was playing tricks on him. Dropping his head back against the pillow in utter disappointment, he let out a sigh. There was something bitter about spending a night full of laughter and sheer enjoyment with a woman who was almost as if she were fabricated right out of a dream. And just like a dream, she was gone in the morning and would only be a memory. The fact she was gone told him that he shouldn't talk to her in class when Monday morning rolled around, and the fact she left no note told him not to bother calling her. The girl of his dreams walked out of his life as quickly as she had walked in, kicking up a storm inside of him that would never truly settle.

Now

There was a familiar hum in the Hermes that Alice had grown accustomed to; she hardly even heard the noises anymore. It was only when she was aboard the ship for one hundred and fifteen days that she realized going back to a home where nothing made noises like this would be hard to adjust to. Having worked with the Ares 2 crew, she was beginning only now to truly grasp what they were going through. In her video chats with her brother, Shauna was already showing; they seemed so happy, and Alice knew that both her and her brother were finally at a point in their lives where they had achieved everything they had wanted. She was happy, she was fulfilling dreams that she didn't even know she had.

But nothing stays perfect for long.

She'd apologized to Beck for what she had said to him; and he had apologized in return for bringing her relationship up when he had said he wouldn't stir anything up. He had admitted to crossing a line and putting the mission at risk. Though they avoided each other as best as they could, when they were working together or ran into one another, there was very little tension. Alice had to admit to herself that she did have feelings that were growing within her; addressing it was the first way to shut it down and put a stop on the feelings. She knew that she was only harbouring feelings for him because she was so close to him at all times, and she had history with him. Once she got back home, things would go back to normal. She was looking forward to spending a month alone on the Hermes to collect her bearings now more than ever.

Alice and Patrick were having the second video chat, after a stream of unsteady and dissatisfied emails, they were willing to give it another go. She was all smiles, and oddly enough, he was too. His messy hair suggested that he was not working; which made sense given that it was technically the weekend for Earth. The Rec room was cleared and Alice had time to talk and she went in with the intent to get everything sorted out with him. She had even gone over it time after time in the last few days, how she would try her best to keep her work voice and mindset out of the situation and just handle it like a regular couple would.

"Guess what," she started, a grin on her lips.

He was smiling back at her and suddenly she knew that things were going to be okay. His lips pulled into a crooked smile, one of his signature things that made her fall in love with him. "What?"

"You're going to be an uncle." She beamed; she hadn't told him over the emails because it was recent, and wanted to use it as a conversation catalyst so that their conversation would not end like the last one.

"Really? Nick and Shauna finally got there, that's wonderful."

"Yeah, it really is." She smiled.

"Are they getting hitched?"

"Nah, doesn't seem like their style."

"It's not yours either, huh?"

She blinked a few times, staring blankly at the pixelated face of her long-term boyfriend. "What are you saying?"

"It's just a thought." He smiled. "Nothing to lose sleep over."

"Pat..." She was still smiling, feeling something twist within her. But it wasn't something she was enjoying; she was nervous. "Are you suggesting marriage while I'm in space, four months into a thirteen month trip in?"

He shrugged. "Just planting the idea."

Alice smiled, ran her hands through her hair as she shook her head. A single laugh came from her lips. "You're crazy."

Patrick suddenly turned around, shifting slightly in front of the camera. It lagged, being so far away it was not the best transmission. As Alice waited for it to catch up with real time again, she noticed something that made her stomach drop, her heart cease to beat in her chest, and all the colour drain from her lips. When he turned back, he didn't notice the change of expression on her face, because just as she should have known, he was blind to the things that she really wanted. She pressed her lips together, hoping to keep herself composed as she tried to think of something rational to explain what she had seen. Her hands were clenched together tightly.

"Someone's at the door," he said. "I'll email you, think about what I said, alright? I love you."

"I- I love you... too.," she said as best as she could, and the video chat session came to an end. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145 50 27
Rebecca Mitchell, a recent psychology graduate, is determined to fulfill her lifelong dream of becoming a NASA research psychologist. Her fascination...
10.1K 295 13
Waking up is always hard. Always. But waking up in a hospital bed, next to a scarily happy bloke who seems to be the smartest man alive, even though...
11K 342 23
Doctor Teagan Campbell gets the opportunity of a lifetime to join a Mars mission. Everything seems perfect and all are set to return home. Naturally...
1.1M 21.1K 89
Isabella Shepherd is about to be thrusted into the world of medicine, surgery and saving lives. Should be easy seeing that her dad is the #1 neurosur...