Legends from The Warlock's Ch...

By DaveMorgan

This is a prequel to Legends from The Warlock's Chair - Ravengaard. The Warlock's Chair. A place of magic an... More

Chapter One - The Crystal Pool
Chapter Two - Mirrorglow
Chapter Three - Wyr'anthos
Chapter Four - Nightfire
Chapter Five - The Qrill
Chapter Seven - Home Again

Chapter Six - Escape

590 65 2
By DaveMorgan

THE QRILL MOVED SWIFTLY. Almost before the girls could act, it stood in front of them blocking any hope of escaping that they had.   

Dotty pushed Alice to one side. When it comes after me, swim for the cave. Find Henry and see if you can escape this place. 

She faced the frog-crab thing alone. It scuttled forward, reaching for her. She closed her eyes and waited for the creature's cold embrace. 

It never came.

Dotty cautiously opened her eyes one at a time, wondering what had happened.

Nightfire was there; the Qrill was wrapped in his serpentine coils. Even for a young dragon, he was more than a match for the warrior. It struggled futilely, trying to free its arms and bring the battle-axe to bear. But it was no use. Dotty saw Nightfire squeezed harder, there was a dull crack as the Qrill's carapace shattered, more green blood flooded the water and it went limp.

Even before she could thank him he had snatched her up in one great paw. 

Quickly we have no time for discussion. I took them by surprise by diving off the ledge and crashing through their ranks. But they will soon regroup...  

Dotty could see this was true. The large muscular one who appeared to be in command was even now gathering its troops again. It waved the glowing staff it held and motioned towards the dragon. As one, the Qrill horde turned and swarmed down the cliff face. 

Alice, Henry, where... 

We are here, came the reply even before she could finish.

Nightfire motioned towards the cave entrance. They are inside, secure for the moment. 

The dragon reached the cave mouth and slipped inside. The children were pushed ahead. 

Are you all right? Dotty asked her brother and sister.

Yes. They both replied.

Half crawling, half swimming in the darkness, Dotty could sense the dragon squeezing its sinewy body through the narrow confines of the passageway behind her.

As they moved deeper into the cave her eyes gradually became used to the darkness. The tunnel walls began to give off the faint phosphorescent glow once again. It enabled her to see the passageway was growing wider the further they went inside. She wondered again if it was the same one they had used to enter the citadel of the Qrill but she still could not tell.

The passage began to widen and soon it opened into a larger chamber. Dotty stopped suddenly gazing ahead in wonder. She floated above a narrow ledge, about halfway up the cavern wall. Before her lay a forest of stone pillars of all shape and size. They filled the whole area stretching from the floor to the ceiling. Each column was ablaze with myriad multicoloured gemstones that lit up the cave walls in brilliant glittering flashes of every hue.

Henry, Alice, and Nightfire joined her on the ledge and stared at the magnificent sight in front of them.

It is beautiful, whispered Alice. 

A crystalline forest, I have heard of them from my mother. Nightfire told them. But I am afraid we cannot stop to admire it, the Qrill will be here at any moment. We need to go. 

Dotty looked back along the tunnel, she expected to see a swarm of the crab-things scuttling towards them. But for the moment all was quiet. 

Climb on my back it will be quicker if I carry you. Nightfire said.

They all clambered aboard the dragon clinging on to the fins that ran the length of its back. Nightfire launched himself off the ledge, swimming into the vast stone forest. He twisted and turned, skimming the very edges of the jewelled columns trying to put as much distance as possible between them and their relentless pursuers. He had tried going faster but knew he risked losing the children. Alice had nearly slipped from his back twice now, and he had been forced to slow down.

Dotty's mind was racing ahead. She hoped there was another way out of the cavern. If not, and the Qrill were guarding the only exit, then they were trapped. They could play hide-and-seek with the horde for a while, but sooner or later they would be caught. Worse still was the thought that Mirrorglow's magic might wear off soon and they would drown.

We will escape from these creatures, said Nightfire picking up on her thoughts. I can sense the currents that flow through these chambers. There is another way out. 

The dragon swam on, plunging ever deeper into the mass of crystal encrusted columns. Dotty risked a quick glance over her shoulder, nothing moved back there and for a moment, it looked like they may have managed to outrun their enemies. But suddenly she saw movement among the stone pillars.

The Qrill. 

Under the command of the large brutish chieftain, they had spread out and advanced swiftly. First one, then another appeared, springing from column to column. Claws finding purchase on the stonework they moved relentlessly forward. 

They are coming. Dotty cried out.

I see them, Nightfire snorted. This forest ends just ahead. If we can reach...  

A spear or an arrow flashed through the water near them. It was followed by several more, each one seemed closer than the last.

Then one of the warriors sprang from the shadows, a large bladed weapon sliced downwards. 

Hold on, Nightfire shouted twisting his body. 

Dotty tightened her grip as she was almost thrown off. The blade careened harmlessly off the heavy scales that covered the dragon's sides and he swung his tail at the Qrill. The thick barbs that covered the end stabbed deep into the creature's chest. With a flick, he sent the lifeless body crashing into a group of warriors that were moving to cut off their escape. For a moment, they scattered, leaving a gaping hole in their ranks.

The dragon used it to dive for the open water that lay beyond. Swimming as fast as he dared, his muscular tail and webbed feet driving him through the water.

There... Nightfire dived for the cavern floor. Dotty saw a shadowy opening in the rock wall; she hoped it was a way out, an escape route that led through the mountain.

They arrowed towards it. 

Behind them, the Qrill had regrouped. Once again the crab things sprang forward intent on dragging down the dragon. Spears and bolts hissed through the water beside them as the attackers tried to stop them reaching the shelter of the cave mouth. 

But somehow they reached the cave without incident. Nightfire ushered the children inside and turned to confront the onrushing enemy. Dotty watched him, wondering what he was going to do. She saw him glance quickly upwards. The large Qrill waved his staff, urging the warriors to advance on the dragon. Nightfire waited, then at the last moment, he swung his great tail. It smashed into the rock face above the entrance. 

Dotty just had time to see an avalanche of rock come crashing down upon the Qrill, some skittered away, others were brutally crushed beneath the falling boulders. Then complete darkness enveloped them. She felt Nightfire gently scoop her up in his claws, using his body to shield her Henry and Alice from the shock wave of water, sand and gravel that the rock fall had created.

She offered a silent prayer as they were pushed ahead of the raging waters. Nightfire had curled his body around them, trying to save them from the buffeting he was receiving from the cave walls.

Suddenly like a cork from a bottle, they were thrown clear. Tumbling head over heels the dragon and the children were deposited on a large flat shelf of rock. Dazzling shafts of light replaced the darkness and once again the open ocean spread out before them.

Dotty quickly scrambled to her knees, Henry and Alice jumped up beside her, both shaken but unhurt. To one side Nightfire lay. The dragon did not move as Dotty crawled over to it. She put a hand against his great chest trying to sense any signs of life.

Is he...? A worried-looking Alice started to ask. 

Dotty smiled. No, I think he is just dazed. 

Henry leaned close stroking the dragon's head. Thank God! 

Out of the corner of her eye, Dotty caught a movement. She swung around and gasped in horror.

One of the Qrill crouched there. This one was even bigger than the one back in the cave. Its torso and shoulder were crisscrossed with wounds both old and new. Dotty noted it only had one eye. Where the other one should have sat, was a dark hole crossed by a ragged scar that had been sewn together with some sort of thread. The thick carapace was pitted and scarred, covered in fronds of flowing seaweed, among which darted shoals of small sharp-toothed shrimp-like creatures.       

It stomped towards them its six barbed legs digging into the seabed. 

This is undoubtedly the Qrill King that Mirrorglow had mentioned earlier, Dotty thought, though she could not recall its name.

The Qrill King waved the staff it carried, signalling to the hundreds of warriors that flanked him. As one, they moved forward.

The children crouched by the dragon. Desperately they tried to rouse him, shaking and calling his name, but nothing worked.

The King towered above the children and reached for them.

It is too late, thought Dotty. They had lost. She pulled her brother and sister closer. 

It is never too late child, came the voice in their head. You have done well.

The children looked up. Mirrorglow!  

There was a flash of silver, and she was among them. The Qrill scattered before the mighty water dragon's charge. Tooth and claw rent apart their lines. Many were slain or severely injured in the first pass. Mirrorglow turned and attacked again. She lashed out with her tail sending more of the warriors to a bloody death.

Soon only the King remained.

Mirrorglow settled before him. Gularg-Zsth, I should have taken more than your eye the last time we fought. You took that which I hold dear and tried to bargain. But thanks in part to these children you have failed.

The King cowered, uttering something that only the dragon understood.

No, I am not going to kill you...this time. Mirrorglow reached out for him, lifting him up until he was in front of her jaws. She bit down and dropped him. 

Gularg-Zsth now only possessed five legs.

Mirrorglow spat out the offending limb. Let that be a lesson to you Qrill King. The next time I will collect the rest of you. 

She noticed the shock on the children's faces. Do not worry, unlike his eye; it will probably grow back. 

In seconds, the King was nowhere to be seen. Even minus a leg, he was gone. Scuttled back to his citadel to nurse his latest wounds.

Thank you. Mirrorglow told them while she checked on her son. Nightfire had recovered and was glad to see his mother.

You did well, but now it is time to get you home.

Dotty sighed with relief. It had been a great adventure. But now they needed to get back home. The dragon had told them of the time difference, but how long had they been away? She did not know for sure. Had father missed them yet?

The dragons bore the children back across the great sandy plain which they had traversed on the way in. They reached the dark pillar of rock, and Mirrorglow led them to the entrance of the glowing tunnel of light, the portal that opened the way between Wyr'anthos and their world.

They swam through and soon found themselves back in the pool. Above them, a circle of light marked the surface, they relaxed and gently floating upwards.

One moment, Mirrorglow warned. I need to reverse the magic that I used on you. She reached out with one great claw touching each on the forehead.

Will we see you...? Dotty started asking.

I am sorry, Mirrorglow whispered.

Then Dotty's world went black. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39 0 20
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON & KINDLE On the planet Keodis, upon the western continent, Uestron, inside the Raesifiin Empire, in the small naval city of Cyrip...
56K 5K 113
THE TAVERNER'S DAUGHTER - BOOK ONE FANTASY, MAGIC, DRAGONS, ROMANCE, WINGED WIZARDS. Please Note: The rest of this series will not be published u...
6.9K 486 33
*Still the same old How to Live, Love, and Kickass but just with some upcoming changes and edits* Long ago a prophecy foretold the rising of a powerf...
133 13 14
A young girl comes to grips with fear at a time of peace in The Realm.But peace is a relative term it seems.The days ahead will change folks lives fo...