Tongue Tied

Door EverleighAshcroft

Featured on Cosmopolitan as an "exceptional fiction story," Tongue Tied is the second highly-praised novel fr... Meer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Buy Tongue Tied
Acknowledgements
Tongue Tied
About the Author
Preview of The Assignment
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
Playlist

Chapter 14

40.3K 1.3K 120
Door EverleighAshcroft

I could feel Alec's eyes on me while Darin and I conversed. His icy glare accompanied by the woman hanging off his arm and flirting with him seemed to have shifted the air in the room and I was suddenly finding it much less comfortable to be at the gala, and somewhat harder to breathe normally.

Darin was surprisingly down to earth, contrary to what the papers occasionally said about him. He and the president and CEO of Abernathy Advertisements, Chase Levitt, had had their names thrown into the self-absorbed asshole category of our industry for as long as I could remember. I didn't understand why though. Maybe Chase was a jerk. I'd never met him so I had no way of drawing a conclusion there. But Darin had a vibrant personality and a good sense of humor. He was able to be sweet and charming while still keeping a professional demeanor. Not to mention, he was really attractive. I was impressed. How could anyone not like this man?

Darin and I had been sitting at a small table in the corner of the room, sipping on some fancy champagne I couldn't pronounce the name of, and discussing Hawthorne Hills Hospital and what it was like for me to help organize this year's gala. We talked about how Corbin and Hilliard had acquired the business of Hawthorne Hills, and I hinted towards some ideas I had for future advertisements for them. Darin appeared to be pretty impressed with me as well.

Usually I wouldn't have taken this much time to talk with someone else in the advertising industry because, like in Alec's case, most of them were looking to steal your ideas and then add insult to injury by stealing your clients. But it was different with Darin for a few reasons. One: Abernathy was on a totally different side of the country and I knew they would have no interest in trying to steal Hawthorne Hills Hospital's business. Two: I didn't know if I was still going to be employed at Corbin and Hilliard after two weeks and I needed a backup plan, such as getting my foot in the door with Abernathy Advertisements. Three: regardless of whether or not I was able to keep my job at Corbin and Hilliard, I still intended to move on to a bigger, more prosperous agency at some point; preferably Abernathy. Impressing Darin Forbes was a good way to partially seal the deal for potential employment at his company.

Darin began to tell me about some of the ads Abernathy was currently working on. Commercials designed by Abernathy for JC Penney and Dillard's had just been filmed and were set to hit the television the following week, just in time for the holiday shopping to begin. He said they were in talks with Macy's about doing Black Friday commercials but he wasn't sure they were going to get the deal because Macy's had apparently been using another advertiser for quite some time, whom they were very happy with.

"What about Belk, Bath and Body Works, or maybe Best Buy?" I suggested.

Of course, every advertiser wanted to be the lucky one to claim responsibility for successful ads with goldmines like Macy's or JP Morgan, but there were plenty alternatives that would be equally as flattering to the agency to work with.

Darin raised his eyebrows and pursed his lips as though he were contemplating my suggestion. "I agree that they're good companies to work with and I'd love to add them to Abernathy's roster, but they also tend to already have advertisers they're pleased with," he said. "It's difficult to sweep in and change their minds when they've stuck with someone else for so long."

"That doesn't necessarily mean they'll always be happy with that advertiser," I pointed out, running the pad of my thumb over the edge of my champagne flute. "Maybe they'll get tired of a certain type of ads at some point and want something fresh and different. I see no reason why any agency couldn't borrow an hour of their time and pitch a few ideas based on what they think they could do better than the agency already contracted."

A perplexed smile crossed Darin's mouth. "You're tenacious. I like that in an agent. It's the biggest factor in success in this industry."

"Persistence is the key to every achievement on my resume, Mr. Forbes." I uncrossed my legs, ready to stand up. "I see no sense in waiting for Macy's to come to me if I know I have a solid, impressive idea to bring to them."

I intended to let that be the end of our conversation, leaving Darin with a great impression of me that would hopefully intrigue him enough to consider me for employment at a later date. Besides that, I was quickly getting sick of feeling Alec's eyes burning holes through my body while we talked. Obviously, he wasn't as interested in Blondie as she was in him.

"Oh, Miss Laughlin?" Darin said before I could get too far from the table.

He stood up, reaching for my arm to earn back my attention and I felt a slight tingle in response to his fingertips grazing over my skin. I quickly shook the thought from my mind.

"Just Bree," I corrected him.

Darin nodded, smoothing the wrinkles out of his button-up. "Here's my card, Bree." He handed me a silver matte card with raised lettering. "I want you to call me when you're free this week. I'm in town until Sunday. Let's have lunch - or dinner."

I agreed, though I wasn't entirely sure what he meant by that. Was it strictly a business meeting? Was he hitting on me by adding in the dinner option? And I had to wonder what Alec would think. Stupid Alec and his stupid blonde model and his stupid way of getting into my head when I didn't want to be thinking about him. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

Speaking of Alec, there he was sitting across the room at a white-linen-covered table, still making glances while he fed an hors d'oeuvre to Blondie. She looked so fake, it made me want to march right over there and slap her. I had to act like it wasn't bothering me though. I didn't want Alec to think he'd won. But then, what was there to win? Was he trying to make me jealous? Did he just want me to feel like shit? I didn't understand.

Seeing Blondie lean over and whisper something in Alec's ear that made his cheeks flush was the final straw for my temper. I decided not to wait to call Darin. If Alec wanted to be an asshole, I could be a bitch right back.

"Darin!" I caught up to him at the bar where he quickly dismissed the man he'd been talking to.

"Bree," he smiled. "Did you forget something?"

"Let's do lunch," I blurted out. Part of me wanted to say dinner but I didn't want to come across as too tenacious. Maybe dinner would be a possibility down the line.

Darin's eyes lit up, though he kept a cool, professional persona. "I would love to. Are you available Friday afternoon around one?"

"I am," I said without even thinking about my schedule.

I could feel Alec's eyes on us and I knew it was pissing him off to see me talking to Darin. But if he could rub Blondie in my face, there was no reason I couldn't rub Darin in his.

We decided to determine the location Friday morning via phone call or email, and Darin ordered us a couple mixed drinks. I could see Alec out of the corner of my eye throwing back shots of whiskey like a man who had just lost his job and been dumped within five minutes. He was pissed.

"The band is great," Darin commented, thumbing toward the miniature orchestra at the end of the room. They were playing renditions of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons' classics. I nodded in agreement. They were pretty good. "Why don't we dance?" he suggested, gesturing to the dance floor where couples, coworkers, friends, and strangers were having a good time.

Darin's offer came as a shock to me but I didn't want to be rude and decline. Five minutes later I was being twirled around the middle of the room, giggling like a high-schooler and smiling up at the bright lights hanging from the ceiling. So much for keeping things professional.

A slow song begun to play and I was sure that would be the end of our dancing but Darin pulled me in close and we started to sway side to side to the sweet tune. The realization of how awkward of a position I'd been put in started to sink in. Our eyes met and he smiled. I returned the gesture, though I suddenly felt the urge to put an end to our dance and call it a night. The main festivities had yet to begin but I no longer felt as bold as I had ten minutes prior. I glanced around but couldn't see Alec anywhere. Maybe he'd had enough and left with what's-her-face. Then I felt a familiar tap on my shoulder and Darin ceased our movements, taking a step back as he addressed our company.

"May I cut in?" Alec's voice sent shockwaves through my body before I even locked eyes with him.

Darin had no clue what was going on between Alec and I, or that I'd been using his presence to piss Alec off. He shook hands with Alec and nodded, stepping aside and making his way back to the bar. I noticed, however, that Darin continuously glanced back at us as he walked away.

"What are you doing?" I frowned when Alec laced his fingers with mine and placed a hand on my waist a little lower than appropriate. "Where's your friend?"

His eyes blazed with jealously as we begun to dance. "I know what you're doing," he said simply, though his words had a severe bite to them, instantly stinging my emotions.

"What am I doing?" I challenged, anger evident in my voice as he effortlessly spun me in a quick circle and brought me back against his chest.

It had become an involuntary habit of mine to automatically envision nights in which we were wrapped up in the messy sheets of a hotel bed and Alec was on top of me with his muscular chest pressed against me. I didn't want to think about that though. I was mad at him. I wanted to stay mad at him. Feeling his body, as well as his erection, pressing against me wasn't helping at all.

He leaned forward, his breath tickling my ear. "Don't try to make me jealous, Brittany. It'll only end in you on your back."

His words were so short and simple, yet that prurient statement sent chills through my body and weakened my knees at the thought. He allowed his lips to feather over my earlobe and an inch or two of my neck, knowing it would drive me insane. I was already imagining him pinning me down to a bed in the hotel across the street. The light flick of his tongue over my earlobe before his mouth retreated created a shiver running down my spine.

I bit my tongue to hold back the moan threatening to escape and I stepped back in an effort to cease the madness. "What do you think you're doing?" I snapped in a hushed tone. "We're in public. Anyone could see what you're doing!"

Alec simply shrugged. "Nobody's noticing except your wannabe-boyfriend over there." He motioned to where Darin stood, leaning against the bar with a glass of scotch in his hand. "As far as anyone else knows, I'm just leaning close so you can hear what I'm saying over the music."

His voice was that of faked innocence. I rolled my eyes in response, still shocked that he would be so brazen. Besides that, I was still angry with him.

"Alec, I need to go," I said plainly. I walked away, leaving him standing alone, confused.

It wasn't long before I heard footsteps behind me and felt the familiar gentle grip on my arm as he tried to regain my attention.

"What?" I spun around.

His expression softened. "You're still pissed at me, aren't you, Bree?" At least this time he called me Bree.

"You're damn right I am, Shaffers."

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

10.8M 339K 81
HR: #1 in Romance (3rd December, 2018) , #2 in Humor (1st January, 2019), #2 in Comedy (28th December, 2018). -- "I know how to play rough, Tinker Be...
367K 14K 33
Book Four in the Mafia Series (Previously Enemy Fire) The further you run from your sins, the more exhausted you are when they catch up to you. -Cliv...
48.8K 1.5K 44
"Brooklyn," Hudson said lowly. "Yeah?" I whispered back weakly. Hudson waited for a while before continuing. "I'm going to kiss you, okay?" From th...
4.1M 169K 63
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...