Chapter 34

Something Carlie said had struck me. It seemed like calling her had actually knocked some sense into me the way I'd hoped it would.

"What other excuses are you using to turn them down?" Carlie's words repeated in my head over and over.

She was right. I'd been so convinced that I'd lose some friends or the job wouldn't work out or something bad would happen, I hadn't realized I wasn't giving myself a fair chance. I'd worked hard for an opportunity like this and I highly doubted it would come around again.

I couldn't worry too much about things with Alec since we'd be working at the same company, in the same city. I couldn't lose him to distance. Carlie had made it pretty damn clear that I was fretting for nothing when it came to holding onto friendships. Social media was an extremely powerful tool. She was right. I just had to keep in touch and occasionally visit. I'd miss everyone but we'd still see each other. It was a small price to pay for an opportunity that could skyrocket my career in ways Abernathy Advertisements would never be able to. And let's be honest, I'd hate working with Chase and Darin.

It made sense. Choosing Clearwater made all the sense in the world. Especially with their incredibly generous offer. How could I refuse? My only concern now was what I'd do if the job didn't work out, but I was quickly talking myself into taking the risk anyway.

"You're not overthinking again, are you?" Alec chuckled, running a comb through the back of his hair.

I'd been staring out the windows at the city, my mind a whirlwind while I contemplated my decision. I'd barely noticed the sound of the door closing when Alec had left or when he'd returned with a large pizza and a two-liter Coke bottle a few minutes ago.

"I think I've made my decision," I said, turning to face him.

"Oh?" He cocked an eyebrow, tossing the comb on a nightstand. "What's the verdict?"

I breathed a heavy sigh and pulled him into a hug, instantly falling more in love with the feeling of his strong arms wrapping around me. I felt safe, protected. And it didn't hurt that he smelled like peppermints.

"What's this for?" Alec asked with a soft laugh, rubbing his palm up and down my upper arm.

"For talking me into coming here and giving the idea a chance." I smiled against his chest. "I've decided to take the job with Clearwater."

"What?" Alec grabbed my shoulders, pushing me an arm's length away and scanning over my face and body as if he was making sure I was still the same overthinking girl he'd come to Seattle with. "Are you serious? Really?"

A hopeful grin splayed across his face, and his eyes, also lit up with hopefulness, sparkled in anticipation of my confirmation.

I nodded fervently, unable to hold back from tugging his body against mine and kissing him urgently, passionately. His hands slid down my back until I felt them squeezing my ass. He held me tightly against the hard lump in his jeans while he stepped backwards, eventually pulling me down on top of him when he collapsed onto the bed. We continued to make out until we were both out of breath and I sat up, straddling his lap with my knees digging into the mattress.

Alec flashed me an alluring smile, letting his hands rest on my thighs.

"Really," I finally said, trying to catch my breath.

It felt like it had taken a lifetime to make this decision. I could see so much happiness and excitement in Alec's eyes and it caused a warmth to envelop my body while I watched him, staring into his eyes like the bliss within them held all the answers to every question I could ever ask. Being so close to him felt like home. It felt like I belonged in his arms.