Rule Number One

By VelvetStrips

Immortal beings do have rules that they have to abide to. The most important rule – there is no falling in lo... More

Rule Number One
Rule Number One.2
Rule Number One.3
Rule Number One.4
Rule Number One.6

Rule Number One.5

606 37 12
By VelvetStrips

A/N: Thank you everyone for voting and all. I've been having some downs recently and I'm lucky to have met all you good people here on wattpad. It's alright if I don't make any sense but just remember I love all of you reading this author's note!

Enjoy!

▶◆◀

Zayne started pacing towards the door where I was standing and leaned down to my height, which was only up to his shoulders. “Sometimes you make me forget about my job,” He sneered so closely to my face that I took a step back.

His face kept getting closer and I just kept moving backwards in the direction of my room. How did I do that? Maybe I really was born with ninja skills or just eyes on the back of my head.

Finally when I could feel my bedroom door just behind me, I violently pushed it open and ran in, reaching to slam it shut in Zayne’s face, mumbling an apology. It’s a habit alright?

That was when life threw me lemons once again, as Zayne easily held the door open and stepped in with ease while I gave my all in trying pushing the door shut.

“Don’t you need to sleep like Ayden?” I frowned and gave up, crossing my arms and heading to my bed.

He raised an eyebrow at me, “Ayden told you about our sleeping habits?” Zayne looked taken aback.

"Yeah, am I not supposed to know? I'm sorry." I muttered guiltily but Zayne snickered and ran a hand through his smooth hair, his glistening eyes boring into mine.

A cloak of silence enveloped the room, but it was soon lifted by Zayne’s question, “Do you think I’m the bad guy?”

That question was simple, really. He didn’t harm me, but he did try to harm my sister… It was his job right? Nobody could blame for that. “You’re just doing your job, so, nope. Just try to be nicer to people and not possess them.” I piqued happily.

Zayne avoided my gaze and fixated his gaze on the ground, mumbling something I couldn’t catch.

Suddenly, he was standing in front of me with a hand tucking back a stray lock of my hair. "It's time for me to go, but let me tell you something. Don’t be nice to me – the bad guy – because I’m-" Zayne stopped abruptly and I simply stared up at him, “Ah, screw this. Sweet nightmares, Hays.”

Sweet nightmares?

He then disappeared into thin air and I shrugged, going back to my bed and let sleep take over.

That night, I had a fitful sleep.

"Riesa?" I called out to my friend who was curled up in the corner of the black and white room, a single spotlight lit up right above her. She didn't reply so I drew closer, hoping she'd hear me.

"Riesa..." I beckoned once again but she ignored me. Instead, she held out her both her hands, one equipped with a familiar-looking dagger and the other with her palm facing up. In a swift movement, she slashed her wrist open.

Blood splattered against the wall, just as how my screams reverberated around the room. Hurriedly, I bolted to her and stopped her self-mutilation attempt. "Riesa, snap out of it!" I cried, tugging at the handle of the dagger.

However, she overpowered me easily and slashed her wrist once again, a pool of blood already forming on the ground and some even splashing onto me. Her maniacal laughter rang in my ears and her light crystal blue eyes pierced into mine, her laughter never-ending. She wasn’t the Riesa I knew, she had the crazed look, just like Axel before.

“You… You’re the root of all my problems, Hays.” She sneered tauntingly, clutching the dagger tighter till her knuckles started turning white.

Taken aback, I mumbled an apology. “No use apologising because it doesn’t change the fact that you’ve killed me. You bring harm to all your friends. Look at Axel. He hurt himself because of you.” Riesa taunted once again.

Tears began sliding down my rosy cheeks and I shook my head in disbelief. “Why is this happening?” I gripped fistfuls of my hair and took a step away from Riesa.

“Yeah, cry on Hays. Cry all you want because you’ll be the reason that your friends are going to suffer.” She mocked and threw her head back, a menacing laughter erupting from her throat.

All I felt like doing was curl up into a ball and disappear from the face of Earth. My heart ached painfully at what she said. The foreboding walls seemed to close in on me and I could visualise Riesa’s crazed face mocking me from above.

“Stop,” I begged, more tears streaming down my stained cheeks, “Please, stop…” I heaved desperately, trying to block out all the noise that was getting to me.

“Hayzel!” Someone bellowed, firm arms gripping tightly on my shoulders. As I peeled my eyelids open reluctantly, Ayden’s angelic face greeted me with worry written all over his face. He was seated the edge of my bed, both his arms on my legs that were buried under the comfy floral covers.

I got up weakly and rubbed my eyes sheepishly, surprised that my cheeks were damp, “Why are you so worried, Ayden?” I said between a yawn, my voice an octave higher because I just woke up.

“Oh you silly girl, you were crying in your sleep,” Ayden’s soft voice mused, with every word laced in worry, “You were having a nightmare, weren’t you?” His voice became husky all of the sudden.

“It’s nothing really,” I tried to turn the corners of my mouth up into a smile but they just wouldn’t abide to me anymore. I couldn’t continue lying for my whole life since it made me feel like a mean person.

“I know you’re lying, Hayzel. It’s alright, come here!” He chirped and enveloped me in a warm bear hug. I felt better immediately and pushed the nightmare to a dark corner of my mind, a smile making its way to my face.

Like a little girl sitting on Santa’s lap, I snuggled deeper into Ayden’s hard chest, savouring his minty scent. “Thanks for everything, Ayden. You’re really an angel.” I muttered into his chest shyly and pulling away from his embrace slowly.

“Thank you, Hayzel.” My guardian angel smirked, “Now go wash up, I think your friend is expecting you.” With that, I crawled out of bed and did as he told.

“Oh and Hayzel,” Ayden said with a hint of worry and I eyed him intently, “I’ve to go away for awhile, the Advisor is calling for me. I’ll be back soon though, please take care and beware of Zayne.” He sneered out his brother’s name.

Still quite sleepy, I nodded and smiled as he dematerialised.

▶◆◀

“Elyezer, you called for me?” Ayden spoke, his voice resonating around the clear meadow, its horizon an endless clear blue sky. The perfectly trimmed grass blew in the calming wind and in the middle of the luscious greenery sat Elyezer, better known as the Advisor. He had a flawless face with chiselled in features, like the second Adonis. In addition, he was only donned in slacks, no shirt. Every immortal had their perks which included timeless beauty – rock hard, in-shape body included.

Bottle green eyes flecked with gold darted to meet Ayden’s steel grey ones. “Yes Ayden, we have much to discuss.” The Advisor mused and sat on the grass, beckoning for Ayden to join him. The angel nodded and walked over to Elyezer, his strides large but gentle.

Turning his head to face Ayden’s seated figure, Elyezer spoke in a serious tone, “You do know about your brother’s assignment, right?” At the thought of Zayne, Ayden felt grief tearing at his heart. His brother, his dark, tousled hair that would somehow stay in shape no matter what, sharp nose and his signature smirking mouth… They were features Ayden used to see all the time in heaven.

The one that completed his brother’s perfect face were the eyes. His grass green irises had a particular entrancing glint in them that carried warmth, different from Ayden’s ones.

“Ayden, you heard me?” Elyezer’s deep voice brought Ayden out of his reverie, “I miss Zayne as well, but you’ve got to get over the fact that he’s banished. He broke the law and he’s paying for it.”

The angel sighed, “I know… And yes, I heard you. He’s already starting to harm Hays, and he even resorted to possessing her friend and sister.”

Elyezer’s face lit up in surprise, “Hays? You’ve even given her a nickname? Zayne can do that, because you’re spending too much time with your assigned person. You do know we need a balance on Earth right? If you’re always protecting her, there is an imbalance in her life.” He stated earnestly.

The words Elyezer uttered seem to cut deep into Ayden. It wasn’t his fault, there was something about Hayzel that made him want to protect her round the clock. A spike of pain would twist inside him whenever she got frightened, and on that morning, he couldn’t take the fear she was emitting from her nightmare.

The fear around her was so thick that he could practically smell it. Maybe it was her sister taking a dump in the bathroom outside Hays’ room, but still…

“So what can I do to minimise Zayne’s haunting on her?” Ayden spoke a little too desperately and Elyezer caught that.

“Ayden, as a friend I must warn you about the first rule-” Elyezer was cut off by Ayden, “I know, no falling in love. I’m just concerned you know, after all I do have to do my job well.” Ayden almost snarled.

 The Advisor was slightly taken aback, and Ayden muttered a quick apology but it was too late. Elyezer knew what he had to do. Running a smooth hand through his blonde mane, he inquired calmly, “Ayden, how about you go on a break? Stay here to recharge and help other humans in need.”

“No, I have to make sure Hayzel is fine. With Zayne around, there’s bound to be trouble!” Ayden spat, throwing his hands up in exasperation and regret immediately flitted across his face.

“If you agreed, I would’ve let you go back to Earth, but judging from this, you’ll probably break the number one rule, so Ayden Zanshire, you are hereby forbidden to go to Earth for a whole week until you lose every ounce of feeling for that mortal, Hayzel Vry.” The Advisor spoke with a tone of finality and shook his head disappointedly before getting up.

Ayden’s eyes widened a fraction and he jumped up, clutching firmly onto Elyezer’s bare shoulder. “No, no, Elyezer, please, you know guardian angels have a special bond with their mortal, it’s probably that. What about Zayne? You’re going to let Hayzel suffer?” He pleaded, his hold on Elyezer’s shoulder tightening.

“If you stay away from her, Zayne cannot harm her. Remember, balance.” The advisor retorted and jerked away from Ayden’s grip, dematerialising to somewhere else.

Clenching his fists, Ayden’s body tensed up with rage, eyes blazing with fury and let out a frustrated growl before plopping helplessly on the grass. The wind picked up speed, caressing his face as if offering him some comfort.

However, all that ran through Ayden’s thoughts were Hayzel and her safety. At least Zayne wouldn’t be able to hurt her… Right?

▶◆◀

I promise you the action will come in the next chapter! It's quite hard to bring action when Ayden's always there you know? Oh and Zayne isn't a bad person, really... I think.

Hope you enjoyed it! Please leave a comment / vote / finger-print / tongue-print / christmas tree / blackberry / milk! ^_^v

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 508 46
Beautiful Amara. Pitiful Amara. An orphan. Unwanted. Abandoned as a newborn in a small, conservative village. She had been called many names before...
16.5K 809 28
What happens when the Princess of Heaven and the Son of Satan fall in love? A whole lot of trouble happens. * Lues and Celeste, a demon and an angel...
4.3K 423 33
Angels, a supernatural being that help people in the time of need. Fallen Angels, Angels that have fallen out of heaven and now live on Earth. Some h...
6.9M 178K 38
• N O T A F A N F I C T I O N • The things I do are not for pleasure or entertainment. I do them for the sake of revenge. I seduce V...