Saving Carter

Per ForeverRuthie

After Carter's girlfriend, Sarah, dies in a tragic car accident, he turns into a loner. He never talks to any... Més

Prologue
Chapter 1 - New beginning
Chapter 2 - Lucky
Chapter 3 - Store
Chapter 4 - Detention
Chapter 5 - The Park
Chapter 6 - The Team
Chapter 7 - Apologies
Chapter 8 - Make You Believe
Chapter 9 - Get Over It
Chapter 10 - Need You Now
Chapter 11 - Captain
Chapter 12 - Changing Carter
Chapter 13 - Break Away
Chapter 14 - So Close To Being In Love
Chapter 15 - Barbecue
Chapter 16 - Counting Stars
Chapter 17 - Promise
Chapter 18 - Almost Knew What Love Was
Chapter 19 - Skinny Love
Chapter 20 - Italian Bloodlines
Chapter 21 - I'll Carry You
Chapter 22 - Love Happens
Chapter 23 - Washington, oh Washington
Chapter 25 - From Good to Worse
Chapter 26 - Every Which Way

Chapter 24 - Beautiful Life

370 10 2
Per ForeverRuthie

It’s been a while since I updated. Sorry. I’ve been form sixing. So here’s the new chapter. I’ll try to update one of my books at least weekly or bi – weekly (orwheneverIwant) so here we go!

I recommend reading the last chapter before you read this just to refresh your memory.

Football = Soccer

“Are you sure you want to do this?” Lucky asked Carter as they both stared at the house. He was feeling a mixture of emotions and he felt like he just wanted to collapse. They were standing in front of Sarah’s house, he had insisted that Lucky go with him so he felt slightly at ease although even she didn’t know what they were doing there yet. After his talk with Jordan, Carter had felt confident about talking to Sarah’s parents but Lucky still didn’t know of his feelings for her. He glanced in Lucky’s direction but she was already looking at him. He gave her a tight smile and hesitantly knocked on the door.

It felt like hours had passed before someone opened the door. Carter felt a lump in his throat when Sarah’s mother opened the door She looked the same as when he had left months ago, except her eyes didn’t have the usual happiness she had when Sarah was alive. Her eyes were wide with surprise. Carter looked down at Lucky who looked confused.

“Hi Mrs Briggs” Carter said politely, he felt like he had to force each word out. He held his hand out for Mrs Briggs to shake but instead she pulled him into a hug, surprising him but he hugged her back awkwardly. It was weird for him to get any kind of affection from Sarah’s mother who was usually a bit cold towards him at least from his past experience with her parents who were both quite uptight.

“It’s nice to see you Carter” she said and then she seemed to catch sigh of Lucky who was standing in behind Carter, looking quite awkward, looking around. Carter smiled at her and extended his hand for her to take, forgetting Mrs Briggs was there for a second. “Who’s this?” she asked, sounding less than pleased.

“This is my friend, Lucky” he said, giving her a light push forward to greet Mrs Briggs.

“Hi” Lucky said, still looking confused. Carter felt beads of sweat dot his forehead when Mrs Briggs gave him a confused look but invited them inside. Had she already figured out his feelings for Lucky after five minutes? He felt nostalgic as he stepped inside the house, seeing the family’s portraits. But after a moment he realized something was off. There were no pictures with Sarah or of Sarah.

“Ae you hungry Carter? Lucky?” he shook his head at Mrs Briggs and turned around to look at Lucky who was looking down at the floor as if she was deep in thought. She shook her head lightly and Mrs Briggs shrugged and went down the hall leaving Carter and Lucky alone.

“Are you okay?” Carter asked her as soon as Mrs Briggs was out of ear shot. When she looked up, he felt alarmed that tears were in his eyes.

“Is that Sarah’s mom?” she asked, he detected sadness and a hint of jealousy in her voice.

“Yeah” he answered sadly, attempting to smile at her.

“Why am I here Carter?” she asked, her voice shaky. He sighed and took one of her hands in his, smirking when she blushed.

“Just to visit” he lied, feeling guilty.

“You’re lying” she said, narrowing her eyes. “Why are we here?”

“To get some closure and I have something to talk to you about that I can’t talk to you about until I talk to her parents” he said, smiling when she looked satisfied.

“Geez, you couldn’t just say that. Can we hurry this up?” she asked, looking down at her phone. “I have a date with Sam.”

Carter gritted his teeth as he remembered Lucky’s on an off boyfriend, Sam. He had been trying to get her to cut it off with him but every time he brought it up, she would get uncomfortable and change the topic, making him more and more suspicious, especially since anytime he saw Lucky, she seemed to have a new bruise.

“Why do you hate him so much?” she asked.

“Why are you with him?” he retorted.

“That’s none of your business” she hissed at him. “And you should respect him more. You are his captain. Aren’t footballers supposed to respect each other?”

Carter opened his mouth to respond when Mrs Briggs came back out but this time she wasn’t alone. Sarah’s father, Mr Briggs was with her and he was glaring at Carter who shrunk back.

“Carter, what are you doing here?” Mr Briggs ground out.

“C-class field trip sir” Carter responded, taking an involuntary step back. Sarah’s father looked practically the same too, except his eyes were dull.

“And who’s this?” he asked, giving Lucky a hard look. Carter automatically stepped in front of her and pushed her behind him to protect her and took hold of her hand.

“Her name is Lucky” he said, staring Sarah’s father down.  He grunted in response and sat down on the couch next to Mrs Briggs. After a moment of tense silence, Carter led Lucky to the couch and they both sat down opposite of Sarah’s parents.

“So what brings you here Carter?” Mr Briggs asked. Carter didn’t miss how uninterested he sounded and how he was glaring in Lucky’s direction.

“I need to talk to you both” he said. “I know Sarah only died four months ago and I moved without any kind of notice, to be honest. I didn’t receive much of a notice either. And I never got a chance to visit but I just came for closure and to tell you that I fell for another girl and I want to be with her but I just needed to talk to you about it first” Carter said. He felt Lucky’s eyes on him but he studiously ignored it as he studied Mr Briggs’ face which looked angrier by the minute.

“My daughter, your girlfriend only died a few months ago and you’re already moving on. This girl must be something special” Mr Briggs said, standing up to his intimidating height. The air in the room was tense.

“I moved on. I will always love Sarah but everyone deserves a second chance at love. And I didn’t come for your permission. I came to inform you” Carter said through gritted teeth, angered by Sarah’s father. “Sir.”

“Who is this girl anyway? She couldn’t measure up to my daughter” Mrs Briggs, who had been quiet, put in suddenly. “I mean look at the friends you made, I can just imagine the girl” she said, gesturing at Lucky. Carter took a deep breath to calm himself down.

“Her! She’s the girl!” he yelled at them, pointing at Lucky, standing up now. He heard a sigh of relief coming from behind him and he turned around to smile at Lucky.

“You like me?” she asked, softly, looking confused.

“Of course I do” he said, feeling relief that she knew how he felt now.

“But…Sam” she muttered, looking torn.

“Isn’t good enough for you. I know you feel the same way Lucky” he said, feeling confident.

“I do” she said, a beautiful smile gracing her face.

“She’s not Sarah!” Mr Briggs yelled.

“That’s what I used to tell myself to stop myself from growing feelings for her. She’s not Sarah and she’s not. Sarah would have never thought to have blue hair or do something to end up in the principal’s office on a daily, sometimes hourly basis. Sarah would never think of piercing her nose or wearing some of the brightest outfits I’ve ever seen or ditching class or getting lost. Lucky isn’t Sarah. She’s different and that’s what I like about her” Carter rambled on. He grabbed Lucky’s hand and she stood up from the couch.

“That’s all. Good day” he said, walking out the house. They had only made it to the car when Lucky stopped walking.

“Wait. We’re not going to talk about this” she said, cocking one eyebrow.

“Not until you’re single” he said. She sighed and nodded, pulling her phone out.

“So you weren’t bluffing? You like me?” she asked, biting her lip nervously.

“Of course I do, Lucky” he whispered, tucking a strand of her midnight blue hair behind her ear. He had no idea where they stood but he felt as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

Yayy. An update!

Anyone saw Little Mix- Move? Cuz I love iiiit!

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

1.3K 46 29
Just his luck! Jason's truck has broken down. The guy that lives in the house where his car broke down is a carman so he helps him. While they talk...
Fighting for Life | ✓ Per Sakai

Literatura romàntica

30.2K 1.3K 50
She doesn't fit in the family. Her family is perfect if you don't include her. Her family is overprotective of her. She is a dreamer. She is a bird...
689K 20.6K 32
After Charlotte's mother passed away she had to move in with her dad, and his new family. But what she don't know is she is moving to a town full of...
Safe and Sound Per L.R.M.

Novel·la juvenil

2K 337 35
An accident brought them together, but there's a lot of things to keep them apart. Cassidy was supposed to visit her dad on her winter break; Rowan w...