Love Until It Hurts (Montever...

By patyeah

Zade does not believe that first love never dies. For him, no matter how fervent love is, if you don't nurtur... More

Love Until It Hurts
PUBLISHED
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40

Epilogue

231K 3.8K 951
By patyeah

Wedding bells were ringing as the woman walked towards the aisle in what seems like the slowest of all walks. She was covered with a white laced veil and was carrying a bouquet of assorted flowers that probably costed a huge amount of fortune.

Up ahead, there stands a man in a silver-grey tuxedo, snifling as he watched the love of his life slowly approach.

He smiled at her and I know what he was thinking, She is the most beautiful bride of the century.

And she was indeed very beautiful, especially that day. That joyous wedding day. Her white gown was embedded with small crystals and diamonds and it had a long tail. It signifies the long journey both of them had experienced before finally achieving their happiness.

Her make-up made her look more ethereal, head-turning, neck-breaking. She was beauty and substance. And maybe that was the reason why she was so attractive.

The bride cocked her head to the side and saw a frail-looking woman who was silently crying as she watched her daughter marry the man she had once been scheming on. The bride smiled once and mouthed an i love you in her mother's direction. She smiled proudly and mouthed an i love you too.

The bride looked around her and saw the family of her groom—her soon-to-be family. They were smiling at her, woderfully welcoming her and cheering for her. The groom's mother was crying as she watched another one of her precious children get married. They were an amazing family, and she was lucky—no, more than that—extremely fortunate to be a part of them.

At long last, the bride reached the aisle.

"Hi?" She smiled at her groom, without him knowing that she was only keeping her tears at bay. She have cried so many times before, and this time, all she wanted to do was smile, and laugh and kiss.

"Hello, miss. Why, you happen to be my future wife." There was glint of playfulness in the groom's tone when he said that, though his eyes were already starting to get bloodshot from crying.

They both faced the priest, and he started the wedding ceremony. Everyone was silent as they listened to his short sermon about marriage. And then their vows came.

This is my favorite part of their wedding. The part I have almost committed to my memory in high definition.

"Zade..." The bride stared directly at her groom's eyes. "You gave me reality when everyone else is living a fantasy. You gave me love, happiness and more. And I, for all my life, will always be thankful. You are my Edgar Allan Poe, my Alexandre Dumas, my Michael Faudet, my Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra and my Dante Alighieri. You are my greatest novelist, my personal poet, and at the end of this ceremony, my husband."

She swallowed. "I love you. Today, tomorrow and for infinite lifetimes."

The groom looked jovial, his expression softening as he took in his bride's queen-like features. And then he spoke with a voice almost cracking.

"Back at Maldives, when we watched the sunset together one night, I had a sudden realization. I stared at you and you grinned at me. Babe, you make life more interesting. You enhance the world's beauty, because you are one of its wonders."

He stopped to wipe a tear and then continued. "Sunsets won't be as beautiful without you. I look forward to more years with you by my side and my love won't waver, instead it will ignite more and give us fire with an intensity that will last a lifetime. I love you, in this life, in the next and in the life after that. You are everything, Sam. From the clouds that pour rain and to the trees that give me air."

I shifted silently on my seat as they said their I dos. And the priest told the groom that he may kiss his wife. And he did, it was a long kiss. There was applause and then the newly weds faced the audience and beamed happily.

A contented sigh escaped my lips as I finished watching the video clip. They were a nice and wonderful couple. Upto this day, they are still very much in love. I know that, because I see it in the way their eyes twinkle everyday.

I know that, because they are my parents.

A knock was heard from the door as I turned the television off. A soft voice followed.

"Aramis Henry. Your Tita Blythe is leaving. Anong ginagawa mo diyan, anak?"

I returned the compact disc from its silver and black case. "I was just watching a movie, Mom."

The door opened and my mother's familiar face came into view. She knew that I don't like Auntie Blythe and Auntie Daze. They were noisy and I like peace and quiet. I like Tita Asheng better and Tito Aldeng. Tito Ian and Tito Vane are cool, too.

"Tara na sa baba? Aalis na sila Tita Blythe mo." She placed a hand on my shoulder and I had no choice but to let her lead me downstairs.

"There you are, Aram!" Auntie Blythe exclaimed. I forced a smile out of my lips as she gave me a tight hug. Lena, my ten-year old cousin was already frowning while fidgeting with her toy motorcycle.

She had both Auntie Blythe and Tito Aldeng's features, though her Monteverde side was more dominant. Because she was a little bit bossy and irritable. Athos and I don't like her.

My eyes scanned the living room to look for my ten-year old brother and saw him playing chess with Dad. They looked like they were having a tight battle. And then Ath grinned, "Checkmate, Daddy! For the third time!"

Dad scratched his head and looked in our direction. "Oh, hey there son!"

"Kuya, Daddy lost again!" Athos danced happily and pinched Lena's cheeks and she immediately swatted his hand away.

"Athos Armand, don't pinch Lennie's cheeks." Mom said when she noticed how annoyed looking Lena was.

"Sorry, Mom! Sorry, Len!" He apologized and sank back on the couch to play his psp.

"Alena nga, wag kang masyadong maarte diyan. Parang pinisil lang ang pisngi eh!" Auntie glared and her daughter frowned harder.

"I'll miss you po Tita Cool!" The seven-year old kid sitting on Auntie's lap hugged her.

"Awww, cute mo talaga Porthos." She said and hugged him back. I nearly laughed. Isaac hated being called Porthos.

"Sige na mga baby boy, Lena and I have to go. Baka nakauwi na galing sa office ang mga big boys ko." Isaac kissed her cheek and hopped off.

Keene and Kaden are twins, only three years older than I am.

Ath went to Auntie and kissed her cheek too and Dad glared at me to do the same thing but I didn't budge.

Auntie looked at me and smiled. She still looked mean even when she's smiling. But she's beautiful, but it doesn't erase the fact that she's mean-looking. "Malaki na si Aram, hindi na humahalik sa Tita."

She stood up and ruffled my already messy hair. "Don't always shut yourself in, okay? You're only thirteen but you already have Zade's nerdy mark on you."

I wanted to scowl, to tell her I wasn't a nerd but I stopped myself. "Take care, Auntie." I mouthed halfheartedly and she beamed at me. She took Lena's hand and Mom and Dad escorted them outside.

"Fuck, finally." I rolled my eyes. Isaac was looking at me, his eyes wide.

"You said a bad word! Kuya Ath, Kuya Ath! Kuya Aram said a bad word!" He was jumping up and down while pointing his finger at me.

I glared at him. "Don't be a sambungero, Isaac."

"Mama said it's sumbungerow." Ath said before clasping his PSP again. At a young age, my brother is already a techy.

"Hmp." Isaac said before playing with the chess pieces. I took my phone out and smiled when I saw a text message from someone. It said, Good evening, Aramis. 😚

I replied with a good evening to you, too and a stupid smiley face emoji.

Before I could wait for a response, I heard my parents' footsteps from behind. I quickly slid my phone inside my pocket.

"Aram, that wasn't nice." Daddy said when he sat on the couch beside me. I shrugged and stared at the open television, it was the show my Dad always watches at night. Unlocking Ancient Egypt in National Geographic.

"Aram—"

"Sorry." I mouthed. He sighed, nodded once and then he looked at Mom. "Alright, Aramis."

"I'm hungry, Daddy. What do we have for dinner?" Isaac asked.

"We're eating outside tonight." Mom announced and Athos clapped his hands.

I changed into a neat shirt and a baggy shorts with lots of pockets. I stashed some cash inside, my phone and an ID. Daddy never lets us through the gates when we don't have our IDs. When I went down, Mom was already ready. She was carrying Isaac in her arms.

Isaac loves being carried. Daddy followed and then Athos was running down the stairs, too. We boarded Christopher, Daddy's sleek back Rarri. Ricardo is still his favorite car but it's too old.

The restaurant was a thirty-minute drive from the house. It was owned by two of my Daddy's bestfriends since college.

Tito Lyric and Tito Ash. When we entered, a waiter ushered us into a private room. But before we got inside, I stopped abruptly because I saw something. And that something is a someone.

There he was, sitting at the end of a six-seater table, talking to a pretty girl I didn't know.

My fist clenched. He raised his head and our eyes met, his mouth formed a small o but I bravely held his gaze. I pursed my lips as I stared at the girl he's with.

She was really pretty, with cheeks so chubby and rosy, lashes that were thick and long that was very noticeable even from a distance. She was on braces, with disturbingly neon pink rubbers. I gritted my teeth.

"Aram, come on? What are you still doing out there?" Dad called.

I gave him one last petulant look before I walked to the private room. My phone  buzzed once and then twice but I ignored it.

The waiters gave us appetizers and I ate without enthusiasm. Mom noticed and asked if I was okay, I nodded once but did not offer any explanation.

My phone buzzed again, and I expelled a heavy breath before I took it out of my pocket.

"Aramis Henry..." Dad called.

"Dad, I have to respond to this message, okay? School stuff. Just... Just give me a minute." I lied.

I opened the conversation and saw that Gerald had a text message, three actually.

Aramis, it's not what you think. 💔

I can explain.

Aram please. She's a friend. 😓

I read his text messages over and over again. I scrolled upwards and read his Good evening, Aramis. 😚

I'm so effed, I thought to myself as I started typing my reply. Okay, Ger. Ingat pauwi 😚

"Aram." Mom repeated. I turned my phone off and gave them a small smile. A small fake smile before I resumed eating.

I glanced at my father just in time to see him glance lovingly at my mother. My young heart broke. Because in this world filled with judgemental people, will someone accept me for who I am? Will someone love me for what I have become?

THE END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 9.3K 46
They say "The higher you build walls around your heart, the harder you fall when someone tears them down.",. And that's exactly what happened.
91.3K 2.3K 53
Because of a tragedy, Isabelle Mendez had to stay in her childhood's hometown. Sa hindi inaasahang pagbalik ay pagbalik din ng ilang alaala ng kanyan...
48.1M 1.3M 62
Rosenda crosses path with a hot stranger who's suffering from some sort of mental illness yet seems to understand her pain and longing. She decides t...
1.8M 37K 68
The ruthless, snobbish and cold devil found himself falling for the angel witch.