Flames At Midnight

By KayC91

A hidden box with five names. A history of secrets and betrayal. Five teenagers are brought together under my... More

Flames At Midnight
01 | quentin miller
02 | grace yearwood
03 | quentin miller
04 | grace yearwood
05 | quentin miller
06 | grace yearwood
07 | quentin miller
08 | grace yearwood
09 | quentin miller
10 | grace yearwood
11 | quentin miller
12 | grace yearwood
14 | grace yearwood
15 | quentin miller

13 | quentin miller

1.2K 102 81
By KayC91

Dillon brought the box outside and set it in the trunk. Kya was flipping through photographs, taking out all the ones of her and the girl and burying them into her purse. I took the opportunity to check my phone.

"Oh no."

I had a bunch of missed calls and text. It was then that I remembered switching my phone to silent when we were breaking into Ava's house. I felt my blood turn cold as I skimmed the messages. I felt relieved when I got to the last few.

PORTER: Grace and I are heading to the hospital. We were attacked.
PORTER: Everything okay there?

PORTER: I just got released. No concussion. She's getting stitches for a cut. She got glass in her leg from the car accident we were in before BEING ATTACKED. WHERE ARE YOU?
PORTER: Crap. You're okay right?

GRACE: Meet me at my place. Don't bring Kya or Dillon, or tell them what happened.
GRACE: I mean it Quentin.
PORTER: QUENTIN???
PORTER: If I don't hear back from you in fifteen minutes, I'm telling Deputy Sullivan everything

"Is something wrong?" Kya asked. She must've caught my worried expression.

I resisted the urge to hide my phone behind my back, suddenly overcome with the feeling that I was trying to hide something. "Uh. Grace is having a...emergency."

Dillon slammed the trunk shut. "What kind of emergency?"

"The female kind," I said. "She needs my help."

Kya gave me a look. "She's calling you for help for a female emergency?"

"We're very close."

"Sure. I'll drop you off," Dillon said with a one-shouldered shrug.

"Thanks. Just let me call Porter first. He's been trying to reach me for the last hour and thinks something happened," I said. The fifteen minutes he gave me were almost up. I turned my back as I made the call. He picked up on the first ring. "You guys were attacked?"

"Dude! I was just about to spill everything to the deputy! He was taking my statement earlier and I almost had to tell him that we broke into someone's house so that he'd know where to find you," Porter said. His voice was tight from nerves. "Something huge happened."

He was with Deputy Sullivan. An image of the deputy from my vision flashed in my mind.

"What happened?"

"I'm not supposed to say. Grace said she doesn't want to tell you until you get here because you have a big mouth," he said.

I ignored the jab.

I was also hyperaware of the letter from my mom, unread, clenched tightly in my other hand. "I have something to tell you guys later too." I lowered my voice and asked, "You're sure you're both alright?"

"We're fine now. Just get back safely. You're gonna want to see this."

"We're heading back to Thornhill now."

We piled into Dillon's car.

I wasn't really in the mood for talking. My mind was full of questions. Dillon and Kya were both pretty silent as well. He still seemed tense from finding the letters and she looked dazed.

I still couldn't bring myself to open my own letter.

I wanted Grace and Porter there with me when I read it. And my dads, of course. Although, I wasn't sure how I would be able to explain how the letter came into my possession without mentioning that I've been sneaking out and breaking into homes in Salem. No way would that conversation end in a warm family hug.

Grace and Porter were adamant about keeping the details from me despite how many texts I sent promising I wouldn't say a thing.

Dillon dropped me off at the Yearwoods' residence without any questions. He and Kya would be heading back to my place and going through the box to see if they can find anything else relevant or important.

Grace answered the door in a t-shirt and sweatpants. "Ignore the homeless look. I just spent hours in the hospital and I can't be bothered to give a crap."

I hesitated in the doorway. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I got fourteen stitches in my leg."

"You seem...snarkier than usual."

"Let's talk in my room," she said shortly.

She walked straight past the kitchen into the hallway without so much as a glance in the direction of her parents, who both looked up when we passed by.

She shut the door behind us. "I'm going to tell you something, and you can't tell Kya, Dillon, or Fiona. Promise me, Quentin."

"Why?"

Porter was sitting at her desk, icing his head. There was a large bump, almost the size of a small egg above his eyebrow.

"I don't want them to know," Grace said. "I have a feeling we shouldn't trust them."

"Why would you say that?"

"I don't think it's a coincidence that we all showed up at that house at the same time. Someone is leaking our information," she said.

"I think you're being a little paranoid."

She glowered at me, and raised her voice. "Quentin, I don't know why you just blindly trust people! You are so naïve sometimes. If you even breathe a word of what I tell you next to anyone, I will—"

"I won't! No need to threaten—"

The walls rattled, and a picture frame fell and shattered as it hit the ground.

Grace made an exasperated noise into her hands. "Damn!"

"You have to calm down," Porter said nervously.

"Okay, what just happened?"

Grace ran a hand through her hair. "I'm Ava Sutherland."

I stared at her for a couple seconds. I was not expecting that. "No, you're not."

She glared at me. "What the hell do you mean I'm not?"

"I had a vision of you with Ava."

And she was not expecting that. "You what?"

"At the Halloween carnival. Well, okay, I only saw the back of her head. But she's blonde and—"

"I don't know who you saw, but I'm Ava. I'm adopted." Her voice cracked on that last word. "I'm not really Grace."

"Why on earth would you suddenly think that?"

The two of them took turns piecing together what happened from the moment they left the house up to this moment. I was silent as I listened, letting it all sink in. The car accident. Grace fighting with the masked man. Throwing him without laying a finger on him. Talking with her family at the hospital.

"Wow." I didn't know what else to say. I didn't have the words to explain how I felt. Her world had just been torn apart. "Wow."

She had her arms crossed tightly in front of her chest. She was feeling defensive. Grace got into these moods sometimes and she would close herself off to everyone. Whenever she got like this, the best tactic to bring her back was to make her think I was an idiot.

"So your ability is telekinesis?"

She hesitated for a moment before saying, "I don't know. I've only done it a little bit."

"You can already kick ass without any powers, and now you get one of the coolest ones ever. I can't punch my way out of a paper bag, and I'm stuck with clairvoyance. Life is so unfair."

"If this was a competition of whose life sucks the most, I think I win," Porter said.

She flopped onto her bed and sighed. "You guys are acting like I actually want this. I don't. I was perfectly happy with how things were three weeks ago, before all of—whatever this is—happened."

I swallowed. "Since we're on the track of finding out things we didn't want to know, I've got something for you guys too."

Then it was my turn to recount what had happened since they left. I started with getting the box open and finding the letters. I pulled it from my back pocket. I had gripped it so tightly, there were now small, round dents around the edges.

"It's from my mom."

Grace sat up. "And you haven't read it yet."

It wasn't really a question since she already knew the answer.

I shook my head. "I'm afraid of what it could say."

"You don't have to read it right away. You can wait until you're ready," she said.

"I don't know if I'll ever feel ready."

"It's okay to put it on hold for now, but Quentin, you can't avoid it forever."

Porter nodded. "We'll be right here. We've got your back, Quent."

It was only a single sheet of paper, but it felt heavy. It was so daunting. In the letter could be things that I would never want to know or could have things that would mean the world to me. I would have no idea until I read it.

What did I want it to say?

Did I want an explanation from her? Why did you drop me off at the adoption agency without anything more than the baby seat I was in? Did you regret it?

I surprised myself. I never knew I even cared about these questions before I found this letter. I didn't know if I was prepared for the answers.

"I'm not ready yet," I said.

Grace nodded. "And that's alright. What else was in the box?"

"Besides some other weird stuff, like candles and spices—or at least that's what I think they were—there was a stack of stuff for each of us. Fiona. Dillon. Kya. Ava. Er, well, I guess you."

Grace looked taken aback. "There's something for me?"

"If you really are Ava Sutherland, then yes. The box of stuff is with Kya and Dillon at my place."

She sighed. "I don't trust them."

"Well, we can't help it now. They're already here. You want me to kick them out?"

"Yes," she said without hesitation.

I gave her a look. "You don't have any proof they've done anything other than what they've been saying. I'll admit, it's fishy that the masked guys showed up at—" I suddenly thought of something. "If you're Ava, then whose house had we been in? Who was hiding that chest of our things?"

They both shrugged.

"Someone who obviously knows what's happening to us," Grace said.

I made myself comfortable on the carpet and began to tell them about my vision.

Grace wrinkled her nose. "Why is Deputy Sullivan there?"

"Beats me. Maybe he's security for the carnival?"

"Maybe. Were you able to see who had Fiona?"

"Just the back of his hooded head."

"Why do I even bother asking anymore?" she said.

"Sorry I don't have a more useful power, like telekinesis," I teased.

She gave me a dirty look. Then her phone started ringing. "It's Fiona."

I motioned to the phone. "Answer it."

"I don't need you to tell me," she said. She tapped on the screen and held it to her ear. "Hey, Fiona."

Porter and I listened to the one-sided conversation, not quite following.

"Hold on for a second." Grace muted the phone. "Quentin, I need to know exactly what you told the other two about your vision. As close to exactly as you can remember."

I racked my mind. "Uh. I told them about the carnival. Fiona being attacked. And you yelling at someone. Why?"

She ignored me and went back to the phone. "Okay, tell me what you saw. The more details, the better." She was silent for a few moments. Grace's face went from neutral to skeptical and then to stunned. "Are you sure? Okay. Then you shouldn't—you want to? But why? I can't let you do that."

"Put it on speaker," I whispered, but she waved dismissively at me.

"You understand what kind of danger you'll be in, right?" she said into the phone.

"Danger?" Porter echoed.

When Grace finally hung up, she looked like she didn't know what to say.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Fiona had a vision."

"What!"

Grace looked at me with a serious expression. "She had the same vision as you."

"How could she—?"

"Kya called her and told her what happened. She thought Fiona should be warned about the man at the carnival, and that she should stay away. And then she had a vision. At first, I thought she might've been lying. I couldn't understand why she would lie about it, but then she was able to describe everything perfectly. You didn't tell them about Sullivan and the corndog, right? Or the popcorn booth?" Grace asked.

I shook my head. "Nothing like that. I just told them the big stuff."

"Then Fiona isn't lying. She really had the same vision as you. She said she could...she could feel herself being strangled. She said she couldn't breathe." Grace looked like she was going to be sick. "And she wants to come with us to the carnival."

I stood up immediately. "No. Hell no."

"Is she crazy?" Porter asked.

"She said she wants to help us. Kya also told her about what happened at the house. She said she can act like bait to draw them out. We'll be able to set a trap. I say we let her."

"Grace, she's going to get hurt," I said, surprised by her lack of concern.

"We'll keep an eye on her."

"We don't know how many of them there are. What if there are dozens?" I asked. "Are you going to take them all on by yourself? Especially since you won't trust Dillon or Kya?"

"You said you already told them about the vision, right? Then they'll understand if Fiona doesn't want to come. We can gauge their reactions when she shows up. We can't tell them that she's going though—we don't want them to tip off the masked men," she said. "If Fiona is able to help us catch them, we'll finally be able to find out what they want. This will be a controlled situation."

I crossed my arms and sighed. "I don't like this, Grace. Actually, I completely hate it."

"I would never ask her to put herself in a situation like that, but she wants to. It's her choice, and I'm going to do my best to make sure they can't get to her. We have to catch them or they're going to keep hurting us."

Grace was stubborn.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to change her mind about this. I looked at Porter, who shrugged. He had been quieter than usual tonight.

I realized that the attack had shaken him up more than he was letting on. He hadn't been there the first night the masked man came after us or when I was attacked in the locker room.

He wasn't used to all this, not the way that we were.

And I finally understood the gravity of the situation.

The two of them could've died tonight when the car flipped over. The messages left on my phone could've been completely different. Instead of Porter telling me that they were fine, it could've been their parents, calling to say—

I swallowed. Whoever was behind the mask had almost killed my best friends. This wasn't a game.

This time, we could finally have the upper hand. We had a chance to catch one of them.

"Okay. Fine. I'm on board."

* * *

The night before the carnival, we all met up to discuss a plan.

We left out the fact that Fiona would be there, acting as bait. Grace didn't want to take any chances on tipping off the masked men of our intentions.

For all Kya and Dillon knew, we were there to make sure nothing happened.

It was a believable plan. They agreed that it was best for Fiona to stay away, although Dillon was disappointed about losing an opportunity to hit on her.

I hoped everything would turn out okay.

* * *

It was the night of the carnival, and I was a ball of nerves.

"If you've got a costume, hurry and go change," Grace said.

Everyone else was ready to go. I nodded quickly and disappeared into the hall. When I came back from changing, they all stared at me like I had grown an extra head in the time since I've been gone. Their expressions were priceless.

Grace didn't seem too amused, but I noticed that her lip quirked up a little. She didn't hate it.

Dillon and Kya just looked bewildered.

"Are you...the karate kid?" Kya guessed. "It's been a long time since I've watched the movies, but I don't remember a blonde..."

"I'm Grace," I said.

"I don't think I get it," Dillon said slowly.

"This is a replica of her dobok. I had to cut up an old cape to make it, but it's not too shabby if I say so myself."

"You look ridiculous," Grace said. "And my hair does not look like that."

Kya was in a panda onesie. Dillon had borrowed my old Death Eater's robe from a few years ago. Grace, of course, didn't bother. She was bundled up in a coat and wearing tights.

"You couldn't make any effort?" I asked.

She halfheartedly kicked me in the hip. "I need the stretchiness for a greater range of mobility. In case something does happen."

"You have telekinesis. You don't need mobility anymore," I said.

"What do you mean she has telekinesis?" Kya asked.

Oh crap.

I'm an idiot.

"It's a stupid inside joke of his," Grace said without batting an eye. "Some Star Wars force reference that no one understands but him."

"Oh," Kya mused. She looked like she believed it.

As we were exiting, Grace elbowed me in the side and hissed, "You moron."

"I'm sorry! But you were great. How were you able to come up with that lie so quickly?"

"I didn't." She smirked. "Porter and I knew you wouldn't be able to make it through the carnival without blabbing, so we brainstormed countermeasures."

I couldn't even feel offended. That was actually genius.

Porter wasn't going with us. He sent an urgent text earlier to the group saying that he had to stay home with his mother. I didn't like the sound of it.

Even though he hadn't said it, I just knew it had something to do with his dad.

"Fiona isn't going to be meeting us, right?" Dillon asked. "You told her what could happen?"

"Right. We warned her about it," Grace said.

Kya nodded. "Good. She'll be safe."

"I wonder what this means for Quentin's vision. We haven't had one that hasn't come true yet. You don't think she'd change her mind and show up, do you?" Then he broke his serious expression with a crooked grin. "I will selflessly volunteer to accompany her all night, if it comes to that."

"Selflessly," Grace repeated tonelessly.

Kya and Dillon were the first out the door. I waited for Grace to slip on her boots.

I snapped my fingers once. "Oh, Grace, I almost forgot. I need to borrow your black belt to keep the outfit authentic."

"Fat chance," she said without missing a beat. "If you were going for authentic, you missed that mark big time. You made a dobok out of an old cape."

"Oh, that's too bad." I waved a random piece of black cloth in front of her face. "I already got it from your place,"

"You better not have," she said, pushing my arm away.

I didn't expect to go flying into the wall.

She gaped at me as I collided with the hard surface and slumped to the ground. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry."

"What happened?" Dillon asked, running back in. Kya ran in behind him.

"I pushed him a little too hard," Grace said, looking down at her hands.

I used a nearby table to help myself up. "I'm okay."

"Dude, she's like ninety pounds," Dillon said.

Right. Ninety pounds and a telekinetic force sure pack a hell of a punch.

"I think it's time I start saving up for a gym membership."

* * *

Dillon whistled in appreciation when he saw the fairgrounds. "High school students pulled this together?"

I put my hands on my hips, feeling rather proud even though I contributed nothing. "It's magnificent, isn't it? All the Halloween beauty. So magnificent."

Grace rolled her eyes. "Oh God."

Amusement park rides glowed brightly against the backdrop of dark sky. A Ferris wheel was turning slowly in the back of the carnival. Screams would echo around the grounds whenever the roller coaster zipped through a turn. Booths dotted the carnival and they ranged from selling food to carnival games to little contests.

"We take Halloween very seriously here," I said.

"We're not here for fun, Quentin," Grace said. "We're looking for the blonde girl from your vision."

"Ava," Kya added.

"Right," Grace said. "Ava."

"Kya and I can go one way and you guys can go another," Dillon said.

"I think we should stick together," Kya said.

"We'll cover more ground if we split up," Grace said.

I stood next to her. "I agree."

Kya was still opposed to the idea, but she was outnumbered. The two of them merged into the crowd after a final confirmation that we would call the other group if anything happened. My costume didn't have any pockets so my phone was safely tucked into Grace's purse.

"She's here. She has a disguise on," Grace said, checking the messages on her phone. "I'll ask her to meet us by the Ferris wheel."

We waited for her in front of the control box for the Ferris wheel.

Grace had her arms folded and the sleeves of her jacket pulled over her hands. She looked insecure and nervous, and so unlike herself. She was afraid of accidentally unleashing her ability and hurting someone.

"Relax," I said, nudging her a little.

"It's too dangerous. I shouldn't be here," she said. "I'm still sorry for what happened earlier. Did I hurt you?"

"It didn't hurt at all. And don't worry. You won't let anything happen to anyone. I know you won't."

"I wouldn't. But I'm not exactly myself right now."

"Grace. Quentin."

We swiveled around.

Fiona was in a costume to disguise herself.

I looked her up and down. She was in light blue scrubs with a hat covering her hair and a face mask hiding everything but her eyes.

The girl who is most famous for playing a doctor on TV came dressed up as herself.

"Great costume. You're hardly recognizable," Grace said sarcastically.

"Did you steal this off set?" I joked.

"It was all I could come up with at the last minute." Fiona's voice was muffled by the mask. She pulled it aside. "Is it awful?"

"It could be worse, I guess."

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" I asked her. "You don't have to. We can figure out another way that doesn't put anyone in danger."

She nodded once. "It's clear that they're not going to stop. I don't want to keep waiting around, wondering when they'll strike next. I don't want to be scared off."

Grace looked at Fiona with respect. "We'll watch out for you. They're not laying a finger on any of us again, if I can help it."

Fiona was tougher than I thought. She was different from the girl who showed up at my house, terrified of herself. I wondered what had changed.

"Should we scope out the area then?" I asked.

The girls nodded.

Fiona slipped her face mask back on. We passed an apple bobbing station. Grace forcefully pulled me away from a beanbag throwing contest, even after I swore I'd win her some candy. We made our way around to different booths and there was no sign of the masked man.

It was hard to tell though, since everyone was in costume.

When we passed the haunted house, I remembered how Porter had tripped and fallen onto one of the actor's last year. "I hope Porter's okay."

Grace's fingers curled into a fist. "He better be."

A tall figure stepped into our path. I jumped back, thinking it was Fiona's attacker.

"What are you doing here? You should be resting."

"Deputy Sullivan," I said.

He looked different. He was out of his normal uniform and wearing a t-shirt and jeans and a grey jacket.

Fiona looked over at me. She must've recognized him from the vision. She looked excited, and a little scared. Things were in motion. We were a step closer to catching the masked men.

"I was cleared," Grace said.

"It doesn't mean you should be wandering around."

"I couldn't miss this, could I? The whole town's here." Grace smirked. "I didn't take you for someone who attends Halloween carnivals."

"It wasn't exactly my idea."

"Ah. Hot date?" she asked.

"Not exactly."

A small girl with brown hair twisted into a braid ran over to the deputy and tugged on his hand. "Andrew, can you win me the black cat?"

I shuddered. I did not like black cats.

"Aw, Andrew," Grace said with a wide grin on her face, "she is definitely way too cute for you."

The deputy scowled. "This is Sheriff Moore's granddaughter. I'm babysitting."

"We know little Maddie." I bowed. "I mean, Queen Elsa."

She had on a blue, sparkly dress, and paired with the braid, my guess was that we were in the presence of Arendelle royalty.

Maddie flashed a toothy smile, and curtsied. "Hello, my servant."

I frowned at the same time that Grace snorted with laughter.

"Cute," I muttered.

"What are you?" she asked, tugging on my clothes.

"Only the most awesome martial artist in all of Massachusetts," I said, making a karate chop motion.

Grace gave me a small smile that didn't reach her eyes. She was still worried.

Maddie pulled on the Deputy's sleeve. "The cat, Andrew?"

He sighed. "Alright, lead the way, kid."

We trailed after Maddie. She ran up to a booth and pointed at a large stuffed black cat that was almost the same size as she was.

There was a large wooden board covered with multicolored balloons. At the bench were plastic guns and buckets of little wood pellets.

He exchanged a bill for one of the buckets.

We watched Deputy Sullivan point the plastic gun at the balloons. He closed one eye and aimed with steady hands. He easily popped ten in a row to win the massive cat. Maddie cheered as the short haired girl from behind the booth handed it over.

I recognized her as one of the girls on the school's cheerleading team.

"It's so nice of you to bring little Maddie to the carnival, Deputy," the short haired girl said, smiling brightly.

"The sheriff is working tonight, and I owed her a favor."

"Are you gonna be free later? I'm only working until eight," she said.

He was completely unresponsive to the flirting. "Probably not. I have to get Maddie home in a couple hours, and I don't see why I would come back."

Next to me, Grace had her face turned upwards, staring at the darkening sky. I heard her mutter something under her breath that sounded a lot like "so clueless."

The Deputy glanced at us suspiciously, like he didn't realize we were there. "Why are you guys following us?"

"Andrew, don't be mean to my servant," Maddie reprimanded.

"Yeah." I nodded. "What the Queen said."

"That one looks fun," Maddie said. She struggled to point at a miniature roller coaster because her arms were full from carrying the enormous cat. "Will you ride with me?"

The Deputy walked up to a sign showing the maximum height limit and rapped his knuckles on it. "Sorry, kid. I'm too tall."

She looked a little nervous now. "I don't want to ride alone."

"Be brave. I'll be right here. I'll hold your toy for you," he said.

"Come with me once," she said.

"This says I'm too tall to ride and I could get hurt. I'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen," he explained patiently.

"You're right." Maddie looked so disheartened. Her eyes were downcast as she hugged the black cat tightly to her chest.

I peeked at Grace. "If only we had someone else here who was under five feet four."

She turned to glare at me. "No."

Maddie's head immediately snapped up and she turned her puppy-dog eyes to Grace. "Please?"

"No," she said firmly.

"Grace, look at her face. How are you gonna say no to that face?"

"Like this. Watch." She folded her arms across her chest and enunciated very clearly. "No."

"Come on, Gracie. It's just one ride. It'll be fun. Plus, you need to take your mind off things. It's been a tough week. Relax a little," I said.

"I'm perfectly relaxed," she snapped.

I gave her a look.

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. But just one ride."

Maddie squealed and tugged Grace toward the line.

Grace glanced back and pointed two fingers at the side of her head and mimed shooting herself. I just knew she was gonna be a fantastic mother to some lucky kids one day.

"She just gets more and more pleasant every time I meet her," the deputy said.

To my surprise, Fiona chuckled at his comment.

I shrugged. "She acts tough, but she isn't really. She's just an expert at hiding it." I paused. "Don't tell her I said that. She'll pummel me."

"I don't doubt that." He finally looked at Fiona. "I'm Andrew Sullivan. I'm the deputy."

"This is Fi—" I stopped myself before I gave away her name. It was unlikely that Deputy Sullivan was a fan of her show, but I wanted to be cautious. Grace would've given a fake name. "Fifi. My cousin."

I thought she would be less than thrilled with her new name, but Fiona nodded earnestly. "My mother named me after her favorite dog."

She said it so casually, I laughed. She had a gleam in her eyes that I never noticed before. Not only was she brave, Fiona was funny too.

The Deputy looked like he didn't really believe us.

Someone split from the crowd and approached Fiona.

"Hey," I said, stepping in.

The girl tilted her head and looked at her. "Do you go to our high school?"

"Um." She looked at me. "I'm Quentin's cousin. I'm not from around here."

The girl touched her chin thoughtfully. "Are you sure? You seem really familiar."

Someone else passing by paused to look over. "You're right. Are you on TV? I think my daughter watches your show."

Fiona and I looked at each other.

"She's been told she looks a lot like this actress who plays a doctor," I said, laughing. "That's why she dresses up like this every year for Halloween. It's really funny how striking the similarity is...."

The girl leaned in closer. Realization dawned. "Wait, are you..."

"Sorry, you've got the wrong person," Fiona said quickly before turning quickly and vanishing into the crowd.

"Oh no. Wait! Fifi!" I said, chasing after her.

I lost sight of her immediately. There were so many people in costumes shuffling around. I searched the crowd but couldn't find her. I reached for my phone to call her, but remembered that I had left it in Grace's purse.

I sighed.

The one time she does something nice for me, and it blows up in my face.

She was not going to be happy to hear that I lost Fiona.

* * *

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! It's been a while since the last update and I apologize. Thank you so much for reading. I'm very happy that you guys liked the plot twist in the previous chapter! 

Also, I noticed on the Wattpad app that some of the paragraphs are indented strangely. I copy and paste my chapters from Word so I'm not sure why the indents are so inconsistent, but please just ignore that. Or let me know if there's an easy way to fix it! :)

This chapter is dedicated to Resserell for being so sweet! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

No one can know By Unknown1k6

Mystery / Thriller

489 80 8
A superhero group of Teens and Young Adults attending Rushfield High School with a secret. Whilst battling the evils of The Realm and studying they m...
435 6 16
It's filled with magic, mystery, and romance.
43 5 16
This is a story of a young girl's journey in finding a world where she really belongs- a world where she fits in.