Not All Who Wander Are Lost (...

By LexiB15

Lothrayel of Rivendell has never known the meaning of family aside from her guardian brother Aragorn. Now she... More

Chapter 1-Hobbits in Rivendell
Chapter 2- The Council of Elrond
Chapter 3- The Pass of Caradhas
Chapter 4- Speak Friend and Enter
Chapter 5- Into the Shadow
Chapter 6- Lothlórien
Chapter 7- New Eyes
Chapter 8-Taking Leave
Chapter 10- The Fellowship is Broken
Author's Note
An Update:

Chapter 9- The Horn of Gondor

6.9K 171 95
By LexiB15

Chapter 9- The Horn of Gondor

I woke the next morning to the whispers of my Companions. The sun hadn't yet risen, but it seemed as if everyone was awake. Everyone but two certain elves.

My head was on Legolas' chest and his arms were around me. I was warm, content and I never wanted to get up again. I had slept more soundly than I ever have before, even better than I had in Rivendell. My arms were around his torso and his face nuzzled against my hair. He was sleeping soundly and I smiled.

His eyes were closed and a thin smile played across his lips. His long, blonde hair was soft and the scent of the forest was almost overpowering. I caught sight of a shadow standing over us, and I quickly closed my eyes, pretending I was still asleep.

"How did this happen?" I heard Aragorn demand, his figure looming over us.

"Leave them," Boromir hissed. "She was terrified last night and Legolas was merely looking out for her."

"They look so peaceful," Pippin commented.

Aragorn sighed. "Peaceful they may look, but we need to hurry and get back on the river. We need to get an early start." I heard him strap his sword belt on. "Boromir, wake Rayel and the others."

"Give them but a few more moments," Boromir said, stubbornly. "They are exhausted."

In response, Legolas moved and his eyes fluttered open meeting mine. For a moment we just looked at each other, and I knew he was processing what had happened. Slowly, he smiled and whispered, "Good morning."

"Morning," I whispered back.

I rolled off of him and lay on my back, stretching. "Mmhmm," I yawned.

"Good you're awake," Aragorn said, staring down at Legolas and I. His eyes were clouded with confusion and worry. "We need to leave soon."

I closed my eyes again stubbornly refusing to wake up.

"Rayel," my brother scolded.

I opened one eye and frowned. "Yes, atara," I smirked. My brother hated when I called him mother. But he had brought it upon himself today, and he had become more like a mother in the past few days than a brother.

Aragorn chuckled lightly, kneeling down to wake Sam and Frodo.

Legolas was already up, strapping his quiver over his shoulder and holding his bow. "Need a hand?" he looked down at me.

"Yes, thank you," I smiled.

Legolas offered me his hand and I took it as he effortlessly lifted me off the ground and onto my feet. He smiled softly and then whispered, "Remind me to tell you something when we're in the boat."

"What?" I looked at him quizzedly.

He just chuckled, carrying a bundle of blankets down to the boats.

"Someone still needs to wake up Gimli," Boromir pointed out, pouring some water out on our dying fire.

There was a huff and a hurricane of blankets being thrown off as the dwarf shot up straight. "Nobody wakes up a dwarf!" Gimli hissed "Nuh-body!" I laughed at the crazed expression his face and he shot me a furrowed brow. "What are you lookin' at, lass?" he demanded.

I grinned, trying not to laugh. "You make me laugh, Gimli. That is all and thank you for bringing me such a blessing so early in the morning."

His expression softened and he grumbled, "You're welcome, lass."

Breakfast consisted of lembas and some salted pork that Pippin and Gimli had been hiding. I watched Sam, Merry and Frodo lecture Pippin about hiding such a luxury from his friends. I smiled again, turning to my brother.

He looked worried.

"What's wrong?" I whispered my smile fading.

"Celeborn said something about the Eastern shores being plagued with Urk Hai... I don't want to risk anything. We need to leave."

"Have you told anyone else?"

"Legolas and Boromir know. I do not wish to tell anyone else. I will not have a panic on my hands."

I nodded, swallowing hard. "We should leave then."

"Yes," he brought his hand to my face and smiled. "I see the way you look at him," he gestured to Legolas who was currently helping Sam and Frodo into Aragorn's boat. "And I see the way he looks at you..."

I gazed up at my brother, unsure of what he was implying. "What are you saying?"

"He looks at you the same way that I look at Arewn."

I blushed and averted my eyes from his and across the shore to Legolas. "He does?"

"Yes," he sighed. "My sister is growing up; I must accept this at one point. As your brother, I want to protect you... but as your friend, I desire that you find the same companionship as I have. You have my blessing, dear one."

I smiled, kissing his cheek. "Diol llie."

"You're welcome..."

We walked down to the shore and quickly the Fellowship assembled. With some brief instructions, we boarded our boats and shoved out onto the river. The sun was just rising as we paddled away from our campsite and into the rushing waters of the Anduin. There were no birds, no song, and no music in the air.

We were too far away from the lands of peace and too close to the lands of war. Gimli leaned forward, his face on the side of the boat, rocking us softly. It took me but a moment to realize that he was actually asleep. "Dwarves can fall asleep anywhere," Legolas chuckled.

I smiled, "It is a talent similar to that which the Hobbits possess."

"Indeed," he agreed.

"So," I looked over my shoulder at him. "What was it that you wanted to tell me?"

"You talk in your sleep," he confessed.

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "What did I say?"

"Don't worry, Rayel."

"No!" I objected. "Tell me!"

A little upstream, Boromir shot a look over his shoulder. There was a broad smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. "Yes, Rayel. We have learned quite a lot about you in these past few months."

My jaw dropped in disbelief. "I talk in my sleep?"

Legolas leaned forward, putting his lips to my ears and whispered. "Do my eyes honestly bewitch you?"

My skin tingled and I turned to face him, my eyes wide. "I said that?"

He nodded.

I burried my face into my hands, my face heating up with embarrassment. "Oh, no..."

I heard Boromir chuckle and caught sight of a wink he shot me, paddling past our boat.

Hours crept by and boredom set in. Gimli and Legolas took turns rowing, but refused to let me help. Eventually I dug out my sketchbook and sketched the image of the Lady of Light for my dwarven friend. I detailed her flowing, golden hair and her soft facial expressions, trying to put as much light as I could into the drawing.

"It's beautiful," Legolas complimented, sometime later.

"Thank you," I beamed softly, tearing the paper from the binding and tapping Gimli's shoulder. "This is for you," I handed the confused dwarf the sketch and his eyes softened.

"...Thank you, Rayel," he smiled sadly. "She is fair and beautiful..." he traced the drawing with his calloused fingers and was quiet for almost the rest of the day.

Around noon-day, I began to grow uneasy between the silence of Boromir and Aragorn. Something must have happened between them over the course of last night.

It wasn't any secret that the Ring had begun to toy with his mind. Already I could sense a darkness overshadowing our Fellowship and it chilled me to the very bone. I chewed my lip anxiously, trying to discern if there was anything I might do or say to help in any matter or circumstance.

I hadn't noticed that our vessel had caught up with my brother's until his unmistakable voice said: "The Argonath," he whispered.

I looked up in amazement upon the towering, marble statues of Aragorn's ancestors. They were tall, looming characters wearing a helmet of Gondor and their left arms stretched out in a challenging manner.

"Long have I desired to look upon the Kings of old..." Aragorn's voice drifted off. "My kin."

I marvel at the architectural splendor before me, my jaw agape. The sheer size and dimensions were far greater than I could ever fathom on my own. "I have never beheld something so majestic before in my entire life," I murmured.

"Aye, lass," agreed the dwarf. "'Tis truly a ma'vel among men."

The Argonath passed by quickly as we paddled between the two statues and into the widened lake. The sky was growing dark, and ahead of us was a thundering waterfall. We could no longer travel by water, lest we go tumbling over the edge and into oblivion.

I did not fear death, but I didn't want to ascend into Valinor so hastily either.

We decided to make camp to ensure our safety and as we paddled up to the shore, the growing darkness consumed my mind. I sat there in the boat while Legolas and Gimli hopped out, dragging our boat onto the shore. "Rayel?" I heard Legolas murmur, and I quietly brought my eyes up to his.

"Avavean?" I whispered.

"Mani naa ta?" he inspected me with caring, blue eyes. "What is it?" he pressed again.

My eyes drifted unintentionally over to Boromir and I swallowed the lump inside my throat. "I fear the Ring has begun to toy with me..."

Legolas looked startled and then nodded. "It has taken its toll on your brother and me... The Valar only know how Frodo has managed this long with such a temptation."

We were quiet for a long while before he finally cracked a weak smile. "Now, are you going to come out of there?"

I laughed and nodded as he reached out to take my hand, helping me from the slight rocking of our vessel. I took a step on the side of the boat only to lose my footing and fall forward. Somehow Legolas managed to catch me, holding me toght as my knees buckled. I looked up at him with wide eyes, wondering how he could have such quick reflexes.

He looked just as startled as I did, as he slowly helped me regain my footing. "Careful," he warned, his smile slipping away as something plagued him.

"You can feel the Ring too, can't you?" I whimpered.

Legolas inhaled deeply and nodded. "Yes." He took my hand in a friendly way, as he always did and led me toward the group. But I couldn't help but feel that our friendship was becoming slightly more intimate than it had in the past few months. It was true that elves often acted upon the feelings of their hearts, yes. But even the touch of a friend could be regarded as a welcoming act.

Already the Hobbits-or Sam for that matter-had started a fire with what kindling he had located; he was busy at preparing a meal as we reached the campsite. He offered me a soft smile, "Good to see you, Miss Rayel." He grinned.

"Hello Sam," I smiled.

The Hobbits it seemed had grown used to the bond between Legolas and I. We were only friends, this I knew, but something stirred inside me. Was it love? I wondered. Nay it couldn't be that!

An Elf can only give their heart once; can only love one of their kind as a life-long commitment. If you didn't guard your heart enough, it would be the death of you. I feared my heart was already spoken for and I was troubled by this for a long time. Besides, Legolas was a Prince of Mirkwood, and I was an orphan, much like my adopted brother.

Like Aragorn, I had grown accustomed to being alone- though I did have a few relatives, I knew that my brother had some kin among the Dúnedain.

"How are you fairing my friends?" I asked the Hobbits as Legolas made his way down to the bank.

"Tired," Merry confessed.

"-Starvin'!" Pippin added with eager hazel eyes.

"We cross the lake at nightfall!" Aragorn announced, making his way up to our campsite. "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the North."

"Oh, yes," Gimli muttered, clutching his axe tightly. "Just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Nuil, an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks...and after that! It gets even better!" his sarcasm wasn't as evident to the Hobbits as I had hoped. "Festering, stinking marshlands as far as the eye can see!"

"That is our Road," Aragorn clarified. "I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf."

The dwarf's face reddened. "Recover meh-?" he growled.

Legolas studied the forest before us and turned to my brother. "We should leave now." He whispered urgently.

"No," he shook his head. "Orcs patrol the Eastern shore. We must wait for the cover of darkness."

"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me," Legolas persisted. "A shadow and a threat have been growing in my mind. Something draws near... I can feel it."

Even then, a shiver ran down my spine and my hands grew shaky. "Aragorn," I turned to my brother frantically. "Legolas is right, we cannot linger. We must leave while we still have the opportunity."

My brother turned to me, "Do not question what I have already stated, Rayel. We will wait for the cover of darkness."

I exchanged a look with Legolas, trying to figure out what we were to do. We both were aware of something stirring on the shore. We were both aware of the upcoming darkness, but no one would listen.

I sighed in defeat as Sam offered me a morsel of dried pork. "Thanks," I murmured, tearing the meat apart with teeth. I sat there silently chewing and thinking to myself while the Hobbits enjoyed a similar meal.

Merry left to go gather more firewood and disappeared into the tree line. Even from my reclined position against a nearby tree, I could make out the signs of his pattering about in the rustling leaves. My eyes closed as I enjoyed the smoky scent of the fire and the benefits of a full stomach. My satchel was close but I didn't need it at the moment.

A feeling of dread came over me and I reached over for my bracers and gloves, quickly pulling them on. My leather breast plate was in my bag too, and I fumbled with lacing it up my sides, getting courious looks from my friends in the meantime.

"What are ye doin', lass?" Gimli asked, studying me.

"I have an ill feeling, Master Dwarf. A deep fear that something is going to go wrong..." I quickly grabbed my blades and sheathed them into my belt.

"Rayel," Legolas came up behind me. "You feel it too, don't you?"

"Yes," I answered honestly. "There is a shadow here..."

I watched the woods quietly and turned to face my friend. "I'm going to go scout out the area... maybe it will help clear my mind."

"Do you want me to accompany you?"

"No, stay here with the others. I will return shortly," I turned away, giving him a small smile before looking over my shoulder. "If I'm not back within a half hour, come find me."

"I will always come for you," he promised, a small smile playing across those narrow lips of his.

I smiled back with relief. "I'll see you soon." I jogged off into the forest, passing Merry as he returned with an armful of wood. The Hobbit gave me a curious look but didn't question me either. I made my way deep into the forest, marveling at some of the buried statues and crumbling ruins.

I smiled when I spotted Boromir gathering firewood. "Boromir?" I started toward him.

"None of you should wander alone, you least of all." He muttered his back towards me.

I chuckled and opened my mouth to reply, wondering how he managed to hear me approaching. Elves were known for their stealth and with the distance between us when I had first spoken, his ears would not have picked up on.

"So much depends upon you," he leaned down to gather another branch and I realized he was talking to someone else. "Frodo?" he whispered.

I spotted the Hobbit standing near one of the crumbling Argonath heads. He looked like a cornered animal, his eyes frantically darting this way and that, searching for an escape route.

"I know why you seek solitude," the Gondorian continued, making his way down the hill and towards the Hobbit. "You suffer; I see it day by day. You surely do not suffer needlessly... There are other ways, Frodo." His coppery colored hair glinted in the fading sunlight. "Other paths we might take."

I started down the hill, my hand drifting to my Eregethian blades.

"I know what you would say," Frodo said, choosing his words wisely. "And it would seem like wisdom were it not for the warning in my heart."

"Warning?" Boromir advanced the Hobbit. "Against what? We are all afraid, Frodo. But we can't let that fear drive us to destroy what hope we have. Don't you see? This is madness!" venom dripped from my friend's mouth.

Frodo darted around him, now standing with his back towards me. He was looking eagerly for an escape route. "There is no other way." He protested.

"Boromir?" I questioned, now standing a little way behind the Hobbit. Surely if Boromir could not hear me, he could see me.

"I only desire the strength to defend my people!" he maliciously snarled, throwing his firewood to the ground. "If you would only but lend me the Ring..."

Frodo withdrew stepping backward.

"Why do you recoil?" Boromir demanded. "I am no thief!"

"You are not yourself."

"What chance do you think you have?" he questioned. "They will find you! They will take the Ring! And you will beg for death before the end!"

Frodo turned away, heading up hill towards me. A relieved sigh came from his mouth when he saw me.

"You fool!" Boromir bellowed, coming after the Hobbit with sheer anger. "It is not yours other than by the fate of chance!" he tackled the Hobbit to ground. "It should be mine! Give it to me!"

"Frodo!" I screamed, bounding down the hill to defend my friend. I grabbed hold of Boromir, trying to restrain him long enough to allow the Hobbit to escape and get help. Boromir fought my grasp, wildly throwing his elbow back and into my jaw, sending me backward.

"No!" I heard the Halfling object and to my astonishment he disappeared, leaving the deranged Boromir alone with me.

I scooted backward, shuffling in the leaves. I was afraid for the sanity of Boromir and what had happened. "I see your mind!" the man hissed into nothingness. "You will take the Ring to Sauron! You will betray us to your death and the death of us all!" he got to his feet yelling: "Curse you! Curse you and all the Halfings!"

I couldn't bare it any longer, with a shaky hand I reached down and grasped one of the branches and with one swift movement, I struck Boromir in the back of the head. He collapsed to his knees breathing heavily and with a look of shock plastered across his face. "Frodo?" he whispered. "What have I done?" a sob escaped his lips and he turned to face me. "Rayel?"

"What was that?" I demanded softly. "Why would you come at him in such a way?" tears stung my eyes, threatening to break the floodgates.

He looked at me with wide eyes and drifted his hand up to the bruise forming on my jaw. "I did this?" he whispered.

"Yes," I answered emotionless. "Has the Ring driven you to hurt your friends?"

His lip quivered, "The Ring's power is great on me..." he confessed. "I never meant to harm anyone- I never meant to harm you!"

I smiled softly, touching his cheek remorsely. "All is forgiven, dear, dear Boromir. You are a dear friend of mine, and I could no more hold a grudge against you than I could against Aragorn."

"I do not deserve your forgiveness, yet you offer it freely."

I drew a shaky breath, "Time is short here in the Arda... Why harbor anger or resentment against someone?"

He shakily stumbled to his feet, reaching down to help me. "Such wisdom you possess, young Rayel." His arms enveloped me and embraced me.

I held to him, a silent tear rolling down my cheek. "I have been truly blessed by the Vala to obtain our friendship." I pulled away. "Come, we must tell the others what has happened. For I fear Frodo is in even greater danger now."

We headed up the hill when suddenly my ears twitched and I came to a halt. The ground rumbled and the trees silently shook. "They are here."

"What?"

"Orcs!" I drew my blades and watched as Boromir did the same. Fom where we stood at the bottom of the hill, I could see the towering ruins far up on the hill where even now, Aragorn stood. He was swinging his sword quickly taking out orcs far quickly than I ever could.

But as the first wave of orcs came thundering down the hill, I realized that these were no mere orcs. These were nothing like the creatures we had encountered in the Mines of Moria. These were far more sinister. They were armored, wielding huge double-edged blades and all bore the white handprint of Sauron.

"Urk-Hai," I muttered venomously.

With Boromir at my side, we charged the Urk ranks, swinging our blades at our enemies. The first Urk came at me with an evil grin and I managed to wipe that smile off when my blade impaled him. "Their armor is weak around the neck!" I yelled to Boromir over the heat of battle.

I caught sight of lithe, tall elf that had his bow in hand. Each arrow he fired met its target with expertise and fatality. Beside him was the axe-wielding Gimli who was chopping and hacking with delight.

"Find the Halflings! Find the Halflings!" a disgustingly disfigured Urk bellowed. He held a bow in his hand and blood tinted his crowded-tooth smile. Urks poured over the hill, coming in such a large number that even I didn't know if the Vala could help.

"Oh, dear Frey..." I murmured, swinging my blade at the next Urk.

Suddenly I heard a familiar voice yell, "Run!"

I turned to see Merry and Pippin frozen in place as the Urks came flooding toward them. That was enough for Boromir and I, we ran to their aid, deflecting the blows meant for them. I caught one of Urk-Hai in the neck, pushing the dying creature toward his comrades. I swung blade again cutting a deep gash across one of their throats.

Dark, black blood splattered across my face, marking me again.

Boromir slew many a foe before bringing his horn to his lips and blowing out a deep, unearthly noise. We were calling for aid.

The Urk masses were increasing, flowing down the hill and charging toward us. The Halflings clutched their blades, slashing at any enemy that came close and even felling a few. Boromir had already slain thirty and I had just finished off my twenty-seventh.

"There's too many of them!" I yelled to my friend.

Boromir brought the Horn of Gondor to his lips again, bellowing out the same tune. We would defend the Hobbits no matter the cost. But for each enemy we fell, ten more would take their place.

"Go!" Boromir ordered. "Run!" he threw himself into the path of the charging Urks, urging us to retreat.

"No!" I screamed, taking another Urk out with my blades. "Not without you!"

Merry and Pippin were pitching large stones at the cruel-bred orcs, smashing them between the eyes and slowing them down long enough for either Boromir or I to finish them off. Suddenly I looked up and caught sight of the terrifying, bow-wielding Urk. He notched an arrow and aimed at my friend.

"Boromir!" I screamed, trying to warn him and throwing myself forward and into the arrow's path. The arrow caught me in the shoulder, just glancing off my skin, but leaving a shallow wound none the less.

I let out a small cry as Boromir turned to see what had happened. But as he was distracted, an arrow impaled him through the chest. "No!" I screamed.

Boromir exhaled deeply, shock spreading across his face as he sank to his knees.

"No!" I objected, swinging my sword wildly, taking out any Urk that dare hurt my friends again. Already I could feel the pain in my sword arm, but I had two blades and I was now deadlier than ever.

Suddenly Boromir was on his feet again, screaming with rage and taking his place beside me once more. One after the other, we killed our foes but our reunion was cut short when another arrow found its way into his lower abdomen. His jaw dropped and his hand clutched his blood-streaked stomach. He fell to his knees before the Hobbits, locking eyes with them and breathing shallowly.

"I'll kill you!" I screamed at the approaching Urks. "I'll kill you all!" I swung my blades, cutting down three more Urks. But Lurtz, the bow-wielding Urk just hissed at us.

The Hobbits stood in shock, but that soon became a battle-frenzy as they took up arms again and ran to defend Boromir by my side. Suddenly Boromir was on his feet again, swing his sword and screaming right along with the three of us. How he managed to stay on his feet I didn't know; I only saw the strength leaving his eyes.

"Rayel," he choked out. "Take the Hobbits to safety."

"Not without you!" I cried, driving my blade bitterly into another Urk.

A third arrow struck him in the shoulder and he sank to his knees, unable to move again. "No!" I screamed along with the Hobbits as we charged into the Urk ranks. Suddenly large arms enveloped the Hobbits, carrying them away as they screamed for help. I turned to defend them, only to be grabbed myself.

A dark, bloody hand clutched my neck and lifted me off the ground. My blades clattered to the ground uselessly as I clawed at the hands that choked the life from my body. "Bring her too!" I heard a gruff voice command.

The last thing I saw was Boromir's face as he choked out, "Rayel."

And then everything went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

399K 14.2K 47
" As wild as the Rangers of the North, as brutal as the Orcs, and as beautiful as the Elves." Evelyn is known as many things: a warrior, a...
378K 9.7K 36
She was a cop in her world, cursed and banished, she ends up in Middle-earth. Now she finds herself traveling with the Fellowship and struggling to a...
118K 3K 77
A fellowship is formed to destroy the One Ring to save middle-Earth. They withstand lost, battles, war. What they hadn't reckoned was Ethir - lost bl...
69.9K 1.3K 26
What happens if Aragorn has a little sister that nobody knew about and they were separated in childhood? She posses a gift that Sauron craves to use...