Faerie

By JenniTomalin

Once Upon a Time the Beryl crystal maintained equilibrium in the mythical kingdom of Faerie, which resides al... More

Faerie
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter twenty six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Faerie Playlist
Social Media

Chapter Eight

7.8K 407 31
By JenniTomalin

Chapter Eight

The cold night air stung my nose and cheeks and the bitter wind tossed my hair around my shoulders. It must be nearly eight o'clock at night, turning to look at my surroundings I realised I was standing in an empty street. Cambridge, I thought. I'm home? The wind howled and the clouds above looked heavy with rain. I searched for Mac, but he was nowhere to be seen. Confused, I headed down to the end of the street and turned right. I was in the park where I encountered the creepy looking goblin.

The wind that now came, thrashing along the path hardly rustled the fallen, autumn leaves on the ground. That was strange, I thought, standing in the cross-path I listened. I could hear the wind, but the sound it made wasn't the whirling and rustling of leaves; it was hoofbeats approaching fast, heading straight for me. I had heard this before; however, this time I stood my ground. I couldn't see anything ahead but a flurry of dust...

I quickly jumped a side as the dust and wind whipped past me, the sound of hoofbeats hammering in my ears. Then they were gone. I could feel my heart in my throat and I looked if I could see anything. Nothing! I stepped back on the path and began to walk quickly. Following the path to the end and crossed another path. I realised then I was in the middle of a forest, skeletal trees stood tall, their branches looming across, trying to snag my hair and clothes. Panic swelled. What was going on?

I heard the hoofbeats again, welling up behind me. I turned and once more stood my ground. The only way to get rid of your fear is to face it, I remembered Celia telling me when I was a little girl. My heart was racing to the beat of the pounding of hooves. The wind was furious and I struggled to stay put. However the fear was too much.

I took off into the trees hoping to lose the sound that followed me. But I wasn't alone under the canopy of trees. Something or some things were moving along the ground, stirring the dry leaves with soft padded paws and hot breath that growled and barked. To my horror it was a pack of bloodhounds and their prey. People were in the woods, or rather noble faeries like Mac, running for their lives. The look on their faces was priceless and the definition of fear was all over the place. I caught the eye of a Faerie girl, my age with bright red hair and violet eyes, she was screaming, RUN, at the top of her voice, she staggered in the vegetation and almost fell. I didn't need to be told twice. Bravery taking a back seat, I carried on running. I could feel the hot breath on the back of my legs, in the distance I could hear the hoofbeats.

I snatched a glance behind me past the hounds with red and black eyes, their saliva dripping from gaping mouths filled with razor sharp jaws. Amidst the pack were creatures on horseback. Hideous looking things on giant horses with blooding dripping from their mouths and red and black eyes on only one thing. Me. It was then I noticed I was the only one left in the forest. The Faeries seemed to have disappeared. I couldn't stop glancing back at the hunt. Wait a minute, I thought as I jumped over a log and landed in a puddle of mud, skidding a little before running for my life. Was this the wild hunt? I shot a look over my shoulder, my eyes focusing on one of many of the horseback riders. His eyes were narrowed slits, glittery black and menacing. His tongue slipped out between needle like teeth to lick his blood stained mouth, as if he could already taste me. He wore a redcap that dripped with blood, running out and over his black armour. Redcaps, I suddenly thought. I found it hard to tear my eyes away from the approaching pack.

"Sophia." It cackled and then I heard hollers of glee and excitement as the creatures goaded the horses to run faster. Skeletons in black robes cackled, welding long swords... And then I fell to the ground. Landing hard, I smashed the side of face on a rock. A terrible pain shot threw my head and stars blinked in and out of focus. Shaking my head I scrambled to get up, but I couldn't. Collapsing and rolling onto my back, I looked to see a hound leap towards me, mouth gaping, ready to sink its teeth into my flesh. I shielded my face with my arms and braced myself for the pain. But it never came. Instead, I felt something pull my arms away sharply. I opened my eyes and met a pair of clear blue ones, so bright I thought I was looking up at the morning sky. For a split second I stared back at the guy looking at me in bewilderment. Then I screamed as pain rocked throughout my body. I sat up abruptly, my arms pinned down at my sides.

"Sophia!" Mac yelled, hands on my arms, holding me down. Sweat dribbled down the side of my face and down my neck. I was drenched. Still in shock, I flung myself away. Rolling on to my side and then my back I scooted to the far corner. Everything eventually came into focus. The wooden cottage surrounded me in all its dilapidated glory. The fire had dwindled down to almost nothing, the smell of smoke and burnt wood filled the air.

It was morning and a bright one with sun and clear blue skies. I stared at the gaping hole in the ceiling and sighed with relief.

"That was some dream you had there." Mac blinked "Are you alright?"

I nodded, still in shock. I automatically touched the side of my head. Nothing. No pain, no blood. "Just a bad dream." I mumbled. Glad that it was just that. I never had a nightmare before. I checked myself to make sure. Nothing had attacked me. I looked up at Mac. His face twisted with concern before it fluttered away and became stern and serious.

"Time to go. We're almost at Arcadia." He said, stamping out the last embers in the fireplace with his boot.

***

I didn't take much notice of the forest as my mind is still reeling over the nightmare. Blue eyes with flecks of gold staring down at me. I kept looking up at the sky and occasionally Mac had to physically swerve me out of the way, either from a herd of deer, galloping through the forest or an animal trap laid on the floor by travellers.

"Are you sure you're ok?" Mac suddenly asked.

We had stopped for lunch. Mac had hunted a rabbit and cooked it over a small fire. I was grossed out at first and thought my appetite had gone. But the smell of the animal cooking made my stomach growl. It was then I hadn't eaten for over two days.

"I will be able to leave this place if I eat right?" I asked, just before I tucked in to the meat.

Mac laughed "Sure, you are a Faerie. That only happens to humans and besides we're not in Arcadia yet."

I looked over at him getting the last remnants of meat off the bone. I had veered off into my own thoughts, the dream from last night. It had really shaken me up.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" He asked when I didn't reply. The nice Mac coming out.

I exhaled. "I was being chased by the wild hunt."

Macs brow furrowed, and he swallowed hard "The wild hunt?" He looked at me then.

I nodded. "I think it was...I mean, I've read in books. Creatures on horseback." I thought back to the redcap, grinning wickedly at me. I felt sick. " Bloodhounds too." I whispered.

Mac went stiff. "Why didn't you tell me before?" He asked, jumping up and stomping out the small fire.

"It's only a dream." I said, watching him kick the bones and remains away. "What are you doing?"

Mac whirled around, grabbing my arm, pulling me up. "You don't understand. We have to go."

He looked around frantic, as if something was hiding behind the trees. He listened before dragging me into a quick pace. Yanking my arm out of his grip I stopped.

"Tell me what's going on?" I asked.

Mac ran an exhausted hand through his hair, lips pursed together. He grabbed me by the shoulders intending to march me. "We don't have time." He spat.

"Oh no, not this again." I breathed and stood my ground. Mac growled, eyes glowering at me.

"For god sake Sophia! If you see the hunt in your dreams, it means they are after you. They know where you are and will not stop to find you!" He yelled and I leaned back.

"Thank you." I said sarcastically and began walking quickly, terrified at the realisation that those creatures are real. I saw Mac clench his jaw and fists and we walked the rest of the journey in silence.

Eventually we broke through the tree line, and ahead of us were the biggest trees I had ever seen. They were twice the size of the Wychwood trees and much wider. They towered above us in ancient splendour. I noticed with surprise that some of the leaves on the trees were silver and gold, highlighted against the rich green ones. The flooring was clear of any vegetation and vines, a few silver and green leaves had fallen here and there. I squatted and picked up a silver leaf, it was soft and the texture was the same as a normal one. I caught Macs eye and he grinned, sensing my astonishment.

Mac led us along several paths that turned from the forest floor into white cobblestones that guided us down many steps and out into a high garden above the steep bank of a river, the shadows falling in the valley below, but there was still light on the faces of the mountains far above. The air was warm. The sound of running water was loud, and the afternoon was filled with a slight scent of trees and flowers, as if summer still lingered.

"We are at the border." Mac said, looking about himself as if he hadn't been this far in years. "Another hour or so." He added, taking off through the giant trees.

I followed, struggling to keep up. We had been travelling a while and silence had fallen between us. I thought it was in my head at what I could hear, music of a waterfall running sweetly in the shadows. I thought I could hear a voice singing, mingled with the sound of the water.

"Do you hear the voice of Aeowyn?" Asked Mac, stopping to listen

So it wasn't in my head. "Who's Aeowyn?" I asked.

Mac grinned at my lack of knowledge. He seemed different here, more relaxed and less on edge. "Aeowyn is a Merrow Maiden; she is named after the stream she lived beside long ago."

We trod further along and the voice faded, drowned out by the waterfall. Turning up grass-clad slopes, flowers stirred and wavered at our arrival. I felt as if I was in a timeless land that did not fade. This is how I imagined Arcadia to be. We reached the top of the bank and everything seemed to open out. A circle of white trees stood in a circle and in the centre Faeries danced and twirled to the sound of pipes and drums. They didn't stop to look at us and I felt compelled to join them. I felt Macs warm fingers grip my wrist, stopping me from going anywhere.

We passed the dancers and followed another twisting path running through a line of trees. My fingers reached out and brushed the bark and a feeling of delight and joy erupted inside of me, it was the happiness of the living tree itself. I was suddenly aware of the feel and texture of the trees skin and of the life within it. We stepped out at last upon the lofty platform.

Arcadia stretched out before us in all its undefined glory. Many mighty trees stood rigid, a city of green towers. I could feel the power and see the light that held all the land in sway. I suddenly felt an overwhelming sensation to fly like a bird and rest in the green city. Fireflies swirled and flickered like lanterns, guiding Faeries along stone bridges that connected each tree.

My eyes swept across and down to the river that passed along side the city. Beyond the river the land appeared flat before it rose again like a mossy wall. It was then as I lifted my eyes it was a gigantic tree made of tree and stone, lanterns whirled around like fairy light on a Christmas tree, casting out white light.

"That is the heart of Arcadia. The Palace, the Seelie Court." Mac whispered behind me.

I felt as is my breath had caught in my throat and I struggled to let it go. It was so beautiful and magical. I had deprived myself of such splendour. I exhaled. "Is that where the king and queen live?" I asked suddenly thinking of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

"Yes. Though they're nothing like Titania and Oberon...Far from it." He said, reading my mind.

We stood staring at the view before us. I noticed Faeries going about their afternoon, small children running and playing far below. I caught sight of a bird with a long sweeping tail that swept past us and up into the branches. It was magical.

"Come." Mac said, walking towards a path that swept down into a deep green fosse. It spiralled down, opening out in a wide treeless space with a stone bridge bowing over the wide river. "This way to the palace." Mac said.

I couldn't stop glancing around me and I leaned over the wall of the bridge to peer into the river. It was like looking into a glass mirror, even though the current was strong. I could see my reflection and I gasped at what I saw. Since leaving the mortal realm I hadn't looked at myself. I stared with a mixture of emotions and I turned my head from side to side, my fingers reaching up to brush the tips of my ears. "Why didn't you tell me I had pointed ears?" I asked Mac, who had carried on walking and was now the other side of the bridge.

He grinned wildly, eyes shining. "I didn't think you would appreciate the knowledge of knowing you looked your true self."

"My true self?" I glanced back at myself, my eyes were bright and larger and my hair was tame and shining.

"Yes. Your parents must have put a Glamour on you when you were born, so you didn't look out of place in the human realm." He shrugged. "No Fae can get away with no pointy ears." He chuckled. His eyes lingered on me for a moment, before he cocked his head to the side, motioning for me to come.

We went along many paths and climbed many stairs, until we came to the entrance of the palace. A huge stone arch with elaborate designs of Celtic symbols etched around it.

Beyond the entrance, I could see a courtyard that led to the palace. Flowers were everywhere and so were Faeries. They ignored us as we walked through, going about their own business. Some Faerie women had stalls dotted around the edge of the courtyard, selling bits and bobs, food and clothes. Children giggled and chased each other, almost smacking into an elderly man carrying a tray of bread. I noticed they all wore period clothing as if they came from the fourteenth century. Mac and I looking out of place in our human attire. Still no one paid any attention. We crossed the yard, the palace looming up in all its grandeur and that was the first time I noticed the guards.

They were tall, grave and beautiful. They were clad in white with fine, grey mail over the top. Attached to their sides were huge swords, almost half the length of me. Some of them had bow and arrows attached to their backs. As we edged closer they dropped into a bow. Strange, I thought. I didn't know they were expecting us. We climbed the short steps leading to the castle doors. They too were elegant and similar to the ones on the round church at home. They opened immediately.

More Faerie guards lined the vast entrance on either side. They all bowed as if in recognition. "Why are they bowing?" I whispered to Mac, he gave me a sideways stare but didn't answer. We walked through a short, dark hallway, torches lined the falls, flickering with flames.

"Where are we going?" I tried again to get an answer, eyeing a strange looking painting on the wall.

"We're going to the court." Mac replied, eyes fixed ahead. His jaw clenched. He was nervous.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 150 36
Rose tries on a locket that changes everything. She discovers she is half fae and when she goes to the Fae Kingdom, her life changes forever. Her mot...
63 3 7
Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young Princess lived in a shining castle, and although she had everything her heart desired, the Princess was...
18.8K 1.7K 92
Once upon a time, a wise Queen predicted that after millennia of peace, the evils she had once fought to vanquish would come back to seek vengeance...
1.4K 78 7
BOOK THREE to The Crystal Series. Nik and her friends find war on every front in their lives with the guidance or Atiweh and Tarrent. As the Valkyrie...