A Timeless Place

By TheNightMarauder

Meet Kitty Proud, a wallflower who prefers to blend into her background. Ever since her mom died, she had rec... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5 - Part I
Chapter 5 - Part II
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 - Part I
Chapter 13 - Part II
Chapter 14
Chapter 15 - Part I
Chapter 15 - Part II
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - Part I
Chapter 18 - Part II
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41 - Part I
Chapter 42 - Part II
Chapter 43
Chapter 44 - Part I
Chapter 44 - Part II
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51 - Part I
Chapter 51 - Part II
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60 - Part 1
Chapter 60 - Part 2
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 27

365 20 18
By TheNightMarauder

Maybe's and Surprises

"I'm home!" I called, dumping my bag onto the floor next to the door and leaving the door open behind me. A second later I realised how stupid I sounded. I knew dad wasn't home, so what was the point of calling? And why was I so disappointed?

"Where did you want me to put this bag?" Wes asked, walking through the door with my second bag in one hand.

"Just next to the other one," I pointed.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his eyebrows pulling together.

"Nothing," I smiled at him, going into the kitchen and handing him a soda. His hand lingered on mine as he took it from me. I grinned at him, "Thank you for the camping trip. It was awesome."

"Even better than going to Kevin's party?" he smirked at me, tucking my hair behind my ear.

"Guess I'll find out at his next one," I commented slyly. "I mean he did invite me personally."

"Wes pulled me to him, growling softly in my ear, "Not without me you're not."

That sent a warm shiver down my spine. The fact that he wanted to stay by my side, even after our camping trip, was amazing. I haven't really had a long-term boyfriend, ever. The few boyfriends that I have had hadn't really lasted more than two months. I always got out before it got serious. It wasn't because I was afraid of commitment or anything. It was just that I only wanted a serious relationship with the right one, and none of them were the right guy for me. Wes was exciting. I had no idea what was going to happen next and I was completely fine with that for once in my life.

"Don't tell me you're going to be that guy who watches me while I sleep or something," I laughed at him.

"No, but I can be the boyfriend who shows up in your bedroom in the middle of the night in just a maid outfit," he winked at me.

"Huh, is that what you are now?" I asked, looking up at him. This close to him, I could see the golden flecks surrounding his pupil. His eyes looked directly into my soul. I willed the butterflies in my stomach to stop so I could concentrate on him.

"Well we did go on a date, and sleep together," he reminded me.

"Okay, one, that date was called kidnapping," I pointed out. "And two, we slept in the same tent together. We did not sleep together."

"Okay, you may have a point," he chuckled. "How about a real date tonight then? Dinner? Then you can decide if it's good enough to call me a boyfriend."

I bit my lip in hesitation. As tempting as that sounded, I hadn't gotten around to studying all weekend and there was so much homework that had to be done.

"Was-Was that too fast for you?" he asked, uncertainty clouding his face. Woah, I have never ever seen Wes look uncertain before. He dropped his hands from my waist and took a step back. "Sorry, we can go slower if you'd like."

"No!" I protested, a little too quickly. I closed my mouth, thinking I sounded a bit too eager. "It's just that I was thinking about the amount of homework and study we've missed out on."

"Oh, right," Wes ran a hand through his hair.

"Woah," I said lightly. "I don't think I've ever seen you nervous before."

"Yeah, well," Wes said, rubbing the back of his neck, looking up at me and catching my eyes. "You do that to me. I don't want to do anything wrong when it comes to you. I guess that part makes me nervous."

I smiled at him. I never knew the word 'cute' could apply to Wes until now.

"Maybe I'll take you up on that dinner date another day," I told him.

He smiled at me in response, "Great. I'll see you tomorrow at school then?"

"Yeah and looking better than I am right now," I sighed. "I feel like I need a three hour bath to recover from this trip."

"They'd go by in a blink of an eye if I joined you," he winked at me, smirking.

I rolled my eyes at him, "I knew you lasting for five minutes without sexual comments was a miracle."

He laughed and kissed my forehead, "Get some sleep, too. Those bags under your eyes are worse- if that's even possible."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, pushing him towards the door. "And whose fault is that?!"

Before he could open his mouth to respond I quickly responded, "And don't you dare make a sexual comment."

He chuckled once again before leaving. We had dropped off Eli first before going to Jordan's house where Wes and I took Wes' car which he had left at Jordan's place. It was sad to have the camping trip end, as short as it was. It was cut a few hours shorter due to my injury though, which wasn't feeling too bad now with the effect of painkillers. I knew tomorrow I'd feel the pain all over again though. It was now only three in the afternoon and I felt so physically spent. I dragged my feet up the stairs with my bags before heading for the shower. The warmth of the shower felt so unbelievably great. Oh, how I have missed you!

And, much like everyone else, a shower is where all the thinking happens. Just how does a relationship become official? I really didn't know much about relationships. Did making out classify us as in a relationship? Did a relationship happen after a few dates? I didn't have anyone to compare to really. Eli never really had boyfriends, they were more like short-term projects.

The image of Wes' smile- that crooked grin of his after he kissed me last night at the lake invaded my mind as I was drying my hair with a towel. That caused a stupid smile to be plastered on my face and I realised, I didn't care. Whatever Wes and I were, it didn't need to be classified. Whatever we had didn't need to be restricted to titles or whatever it was. Whatever it was we had, that was between the two us.

It was around five in the afternoon after I had cleaned myself up and unpacked, my cell rang.

"Why haven't you been picking up?!" Eli's shriek came from the phone just when I answered.

"Hello to you, too," I replied. "I just put it on charge. It was dead."

"You can't hide away from me forever you know," she reprimanded.

"What're you talking about?" I laughed at her weirdly.

"Spill. Now," she said seriously.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything! Lately it's been always me jabbering about guys and now it's your turn!"

"I'm pretty sure it's always just been like that," I chuckled at her.

"And whose fault is that?!" she exclaimed. "You never used to tell me anything about Byron or Garret or even Hamish!"

"That's because they were all weirdos you set me up with?"

"That's all in the past," she brushed it off sheepishly. "Now, spill!"

I sighed, but told her everything. I started with what had happened the first night of camping, excluding Wes' secrets and mine, of course. I then moved onto the details of the canoe incident which I couldn't tell her in detail before. After that I explained to her what happened last night.

"So are you two official yet?" she said excitedly.

I told her what happened only a few hours ago when he had dropped me off.

"He soo wants to be with you," she giggled into the phone.

"What makes you so sure?" I asked, a bit sceptical.

"Well Wes isn't that good at acting like he cares about someone he doesn't," Eli explained. "You can always trust bad actors."

"You've been analysing him?" I asked incredulously.

"Duh, I have to look out for my best friend!" she said obviously. "You can easily measure his responses when you mention certain people. Like defensiveness when it comes to Jordan, disgust when it comes to the girls he plays with and then he just becomes a big softie when it comes to you!"

"Woah, you're really serious about doing a Psych major at college, aren't you?" I replied in amazement. Despite my joking, warmth was spreading through me at her words.

"So what do you think I should do?" I asked. "About the whole dating thing, I mean."

"Oh my god," she laughed. "Is Kitty asking for help?"

"Shush, Elizabeth."

"Ugh, you know how much I hate people using my full name!" she shrieked into the phone. Her mother always called her Elizabeth. "Anyway, I think you should make sure that he isn't just temporarily infatuated with you for a few days. Make him work for his right at the title of boyfriend."

"You and your games with guys," I laughed.

"Hey, if it works- it works!" she said defensively. "I reckon just make him prove himself. But remember to have fun while you're at it!"

After that Eli and I just chatted some more, catching up on everything. Jason got fired from yet another job and had to apply for other jobs as soon as possible to afford rent for his apartment. Her dad was the same as always- drunk. And my dad, well, my dad was nowhere to be found. Probably in his office, working until he could no longer function. We had wonderful lives. I just wished things could just go back to the way they were, both our families whole, happy and complete. Where were the dinners every Friday, with both our fathers watching football in the living room and our mothers gossiping in the kitchen while Jason, Eli and I roamed the streets on our bicycles, or played games in the front yard until our parents had to drag us back inside well after dark. Now it was just Eli and I, the ones left behind.

But when my cell rang a text message later that night, I didn't feel so left behind anymore.

How about that maybe for tomorrow night?

I smiled, putting down my Trig homework. I thought about what Eli said to make him prove himself before texting, Maybe.

Anther text rang just a few seconds later.

What do I need to do to turn that maybe into a yes?

I contemplated for a second.

Surprise me.

Kidnapping involves surprises.

Your originality is dying.

I'll show you originality. Maybe show up at 3 am in a nurse's outfit instead of a maid one, that's original.

Maybe to school when you pick me up. That'd definitely kill the rumours about your sexuality.

You'd know all about my sexuality. ;)

I involuntarily blushed.

Almost as much as you do.

Ouch.

I almost feel bad. Btw, did you do your Trig homework?

Oh shit. I'll see you tomorrow. :)

Goodnight. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 31.9K 61
"So your go!" She said, smiling up at me brightly. "Wait what?" I answered with a look of confusion playing upon my face. "Well I just...
694 68 43
"Oh," he said, as my back hit the wooden wall. Damn it, of course. With nowhere to go, his arms locked me in between him and the wall. He stared down...
5.9K 348 20
"Hey! She already said she was sorry. What more do you want?!" I screamed loudly in his face. His face turned from angry to shocked. No one had ever...
298K 13K 36
(Editing) His eyes widen and his lips part in pain as he stares wordlessly at me and then at the large blotch that forms around his chest . He clutc...