For Auld Lang Syne (Navy Book...

Sarahbeth552002

Devon Tatum had waited ten years for Josh McIntire to come back into her life. Where he had been for the pas... Еще

The Beginning...
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Don't Say Good Bye
Sweetest Goodbye (Navy book 3)
A Beautiful Mess
Soft Place to Fall
More of You
Dream
Love Me Sweet (Love Me book 1)
Love Me True (Love Me book 2)
To See You
The Best Thing (Stevens Book 8)
Let It Be Me (Triplets 1)
And So It Goes (Stevens book 10)

Chapter 20 (The End)

65.2K 2.6K 449
Sarahbeth552002

It was unspoken between Devon and her parents that none of them would mention Josh. Bree asked what had happened to him and Kellan, and James had made the simple statement that they had returned home in order to straighten out a few things. Then he reassured everyone that Josh would do his best to be back before the wedding.

James stuck close to Devon over the next week, keeping her company and reminiscing with her about how great it was when they had all been kids.  It was obvious that James remembered their childhood differently than Devon did.

Bree had cornered her one day, with Hal watching, and thanked her for the wake-up call she had given her.  Saying that she realized that she had almost lost Hal and she wouldn't be able to live if that happened. It was all very realistic and well done, and Devon almost bought it until, just before she left the room to follow Hal to lunch, she turned back and embraced Devon.

"I may not have gotten my chance with Kellan and Josh but neither did you, admit it." Bree had whispered in a mocking voice.

Devon laughed, and hugged Bree so tight she struggled to get away. "They're both too smart for you to ever fool. They see you just as clearly as I do little sister." This time it was Devon who hit the word little hard. "I hope you and Hal will be very happy and I would do my best, if I were you, to make him as happy as possible. If he ever sees the real you, it's game over my dear."

Bree finally broke free almost falling as she did.

Hal shot them an odd look, "It's a game we played as girls." Devon smiled as she pushed Bree towards him. "Don't let me keep you."

Annabelle had milked the heroine story for all she was worth and it paid off in a big way. The cameras were all set to cover the wedding of her son, the son whose life she saved, and Bree was ecstatic about being famous through association. The phone calls and cameras had been casing the house for the last week, and Devon had remained indoors missing her morning runs because she was too afraid to venture outside for fear that she would be accosted by reporters.

Cold snow had fallen the night before the wedding and the world looked like a winter wonderland. Since Bree wasn't participating in the wedding setup she had an easy day as she watched the women run around like clucking chickens while they tried to get everything and everyone organized.

Devon had decided to wear a simple dove grey dress with a silver belt for the ceremony in an attempt to keep with the holiday theme. She rode to the church with the McIntires and they sat in a front pew that was reserved for family.

It was almost time for the ceremony to begin, and everyone had arrived and taken their seat when the door opened and Kellan entered wearing full dress blues. Devon looked behind him for Josh and was crushed when he wasn't there.

There was a murmur of appreciation that went through the crowd at the sight Kellan made while he moved down the aisle to join her. He really did look magnificent, just as every hero should, and If he looked good she knew that Josh would look spectacular.

Devon's disappointment must have shown because Kellan joined her with a kiss on the cheek saying that Josh had gotten held up in town but he would try to make the reception. she nodded and linked her arm through his as she looked up at him grinning at her.

"You look very handsome Kellan, why on earth don't you have a girl?" she whispered.

He grimaced. "Been there, done that, no thank you."

"You just chose the wrong one. Don't worry the right one will come along one day, and I'll be around to make sure you don't let the opportunity pass you by." Devon nodded, sure that it would work out the way she hoped.

"I don't know if that's a promise or a threat," he mused as the organ started to play and everyone stood as the bride made her grand entrance.

Devon smiled coyly and turned to watch her sister enter the church. There was the expected murmur that went through the crowd at the bride's entrance, and Devon watched, with a mixture of feelings as her sister moved towards her. Bree looked lovely in her white lace gown that was cut to perfection with her hair falling in delicate curls around her face.

When Bree looked over at Devon with a cat that got the cream grin, she watched as Bree stumbled a little at the sight of Kellan standing next Devon in his dress uniform while she gave Bree a sweet smile and waved as any good sister would.

"You should be ashamed of yourself Lieutenant Hillard," Devon whispered in his ear.

"What did I do?" He looked confused.

"You made Bree doubt her decision to marry Hal," Devon clarified.

"How on earth did I do that?" he asked, frowning.

"A man in uniform does it every time." Devon grinned before her thoughts turned back to Kellan, who would have been dismayed to know that she was trying to figure out exactly what sort of woman would win his heart.

The only thing Devon was sure of was that they would all be taken by surprise with his choice. Kellan rarely did what one expected of him.

*******

The wedding lasted longer than anticipated and even though Devon wasn't in the bridal party she was asked to remain for the family photos. The reception was already underway when she arrived at the hotel ballroom, and everyone was well on their way to being happily drunk.

Kellan stayed close to her all night, entertaining her and dancing with her, she knew he was doing his best to distract her from thoughts of Josh, and for the most part, he did a good job.

A few minutes before midnight Hal and Bree climbed the dramatic staircase in the ballroom with everyone clustered below them as they all prepared to welcome in a New Year. The waiters were circulating with full champagne glasses, insisting everyone have one. Devon took hers looking for Kellan who had managed to disappear from her view.

The countdown started, and Devon did her best to fight back the tears. Josh hadn't made it, she was welcoming in another new year alone. The countdown started and Devon joined in cheering with the crowd as the clock chimed midnight and everyone started kissing, she got a few kisses from friends and family as they moved around her while she stood forlornly in the middle of the room.

The band started to play 'For Auld Lang Syne,' and the guests quickly caught on and started singing. Devon couldn't join in on the song, she knew which old friend she wanted with her and he wasn't there.

A few lines into the song Devon noticed that people's attention had been drawn to the entrance of the ballroom behind her, and as she followed their gazes she did start to cry. Josh stood looking at her, with Kellan, Will, and Lee behind him offering him their support. They all looked so handsome in their uniforms, but Devon only had eyes for Josh. He was her heart, and she watched slowly as he walked towards her.

Those around them started to recognize him and the looks of shock grew as he approached Devon. It was as if the sea had parted while he walked. He held his cap under her arm, looking dangerous and regal all at the same time.

"You're late!" Devon said between tears as he relieved her of her champagne glass.

"Ten years late my love," he said as he pulled her close. "But better late than never."

Devon closed her eyes as his lips met hers and the traditional New Year's song surrounded them. They kissed long and hard and as the song ended a cheer went up through the crowd.

Eventually, the party started back up and Devon and Josh broke their kiss. Devon ran her hands across his uniform and over his medals and ribbons, there were so many of them. He was so handsome and he had come back for her.

"I should go congratulate the happy couple," Josh said linking his arm through hers. "Then we will find somewhere quiet and have that talk."

Devon could only nod her agreement as he moved towards Hal and Bree, who were standing at the base of the staircase talking to friends. She looked at Bree as they approached and Bree appeared to be in full-on pout mode, there was no way she could throw herself in Josh's arms and have it be appropriate and she knew it. This time Devon had won. This time she had shown up Bree and won the moment and the man.

Josh leaned down and gave Bree a kiss on the cheek. "You look lovely Bree." He smiled.

"Hey Josh, its Mike from high school, remember me!" A man that had been standing next to Bree and Hal clapped Josh on the shoulder.

"Sure, Mike." Josh turned and shook his hand.

Mike took in his uniform and his trident. "You're a SEAL?" he asked.

"I am. If you'll excuse me I only have a few hours before I have to be back on base, and Devon and I have to talk." Josh shook Hal's hand then led the way to the back of the ballroom to a hallway that had a few private meeting rooms off of it.

Devon noted that Kellan, Lee, and Will were already there, sitting in a few chairs outside one of the rooms. "They're here to make sure that we're not interrupted," Josh explained as he pushed her into one of the rooms and closed the door.

They stood there and stared at one another, lost for a moment until Josh reached into his pockets and pulled out the two gifts that had been left under the tree.

"Let's start with these." He handed his gift to her and kept the one from Devon to him. "I'll go first." He slowly unwrapped the present and turned it over in his hand running his thumb over it.

"You have me in the palm of your hand Josh, you have since I was thirteen. I've only wanted you, I've only needed you." Devon attempted to tell him the meaning behind her gift.

Josh looked up at her and cleared his throat, nodding towards his gift to her. Devon was a bit disappointed that he hadn't said anything as she unwrapped a jeweler's box. When she opened it, it was not what she was expecting. Her eyes grew wide and she started to cry as she looked down at the Purple Heart.

"Josh." Devon looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "I can't accept this, it's too much."

"It belongs to you, Devon. The only reason I have it, the only reason I'm alive today, is because of you. When things get hard I tell myself that I have to see you one more time and it pushes me to get through the challenge. That," he nodded towards the Purple Heart, 'was a particularly bad day, but it was you I was thinking of, not the horror that surrounded us or the impossibility of what we were trying to do."

Joah cleared his throat before he continued, "I remember that photo, the one in your office, it was the first time I told you that I loved you. I couldn't say the words, I wasn't brave enough. It's the only thing I've ever really been afraid of doing. The nickname Firefly suddenly came to me as a way that I could do that, every time I say Firefly I'm saying that I love you."

Devon didn't bother to check the tears as they ran down her face. "I've always known the nickname was special because I feel special every time you say it."

"I want you, Devon. I have wanted you for as long as I can remember, but I don't want to hurt you. I don't want you to resent me when I have to leave unexpectedly, or if I don't win the fight and I don't come home."

Devon approached Josh reaching up and touching his face. "I'm stronger than you think, and if that day ever comes, if I know that we lived what time we had together to the fullest, I'll survive. But I won't survive if you walk out of this room and leave me. I couldn't bear to have you alive and near and not be able to have all of you. It's you or no one as far as I'm concerned."

Josh pulled her close. "We'll get married."

"But not like this." She motioned to the event going on outside the door.

"No, just family and us," he agreed.

There was a knock at the door. "I bet that's Kellan." Devon laughed.

"Probably, you don't mind him?" Josh searched her face for anger or resentment towards his brother.

"No." Devon shook her head. "He's family, isn't he?"

"Yes, he is." There was another knock. "Here's your first test. I have to go." Josh took a deep breath.

Devon nodded as she took his hand and walked into the hall where his parents were waiting.

"Josh." Jenny was crying and James looked proud to see his son in uniform. They each gave him a hug, but Josh reached for Devon as soon as they were through.

"Can you give Devon a lift home Dad?" he asked looking down at Devon, the love he felt for her evident in his gaze as he tucked a stray curl behind her ear.

"I'll see you soon Firefly," he whispered in her ear as he kissed her gently.

"I know you will." Devon held the Purple Heart close to her heart as she watched him join the others and they left through a side door quietly. He was hers, he had given her his heart and no matter what challenges they faced they would face them together.

Check out Kellan's story, 'Don't Say Goodbye'.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

Phoebe & Jay - Adjusting Grace Morton

Подростковая литература

69 15 14
Now this is definitely much different than a lot of the books on this site, but I want to share this work somewhere. And I made this when I was 11 so...
Im Coming Home Court

Фанфик

48.4K 1.2K 13
10 years. 10 years I've been searching for her. She disappeared and we can't find her. I'm not sure if what happened between us caused it. But I need...
45 0 15
Eight years of missed embraces burns hot when I return to the small town where it all started. I did all the things I left to do; got the degree, the...
Forever and Always voidstiles_whore

Художественная проза

354K 8.2K 26
"You left me alone, with no idea what to do!" "I'm sorry, okay! But you could have been supportive!" "Oh, I'm sorry that you decided to tell me the d...