Dragon of Legend: Destiny (Pu...

By voif1d

Facing the most powerful man in the Lands armed with nothing but a sword and the hope that she could prevail... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Buy the Book!
Chapter 37
Chapter 38 (final)

Chapter 5

209K 1.6K 122
By voif1d

Seth cleared his throat. "We're here for an Academy outfit, to match her dragon," he said.

Hannah's face lit up at once. "Oh! A new student!" She clapped her hands together. "How exciting!" She looked like she would start bouncing up and down at any moment. "And what color should this outfit be?"

Again, Akira shot Seth a pleading look to ask for help. How should I know?

"White, it should be white," Seth announced. His voice suggested that there was a greater meaning to this.

Hannah's eyes widened, and her mouth formed an 'oh' as her gaze darted back to Akira. She looked her over, as though seeing her in a new light. Feeling uncomfortable, Akira shifted her weight from one foot to another. She didn't like this feeling of being the center of attention.

"I believe you already made it some time back," Seth said breaking the silence.

Hannah nodded. Suddenly, she seemed to come alive. "Yes, as soon as I heard the rumors that he was around." She bobbed her head up and down.

Akira could only guess that 'he' had to be Redemption. Her eyes narrowed. Why would Hannah have made an outfit for me once she heard about him?

"Alas, I didn't know what size his rider would be, so I made a few," Hannah continued. "Of course, I thought that someone from the Academy would wear it..." she trailed off as Seth shook his head at her. Hannah's mouth formed another 'oh' and she nodded, pretending to zip her lips. "Well then," she said as she turned and hurried off into the back of the room. She disappeared behind a pile of saddles.

"I'll be right with you!" her muffled voice called.

Akira frowned. There was something going on that involved her and Redemption. She was sure of it, and yet what it could be she had no idea. However, it seemed that everyone else did. She shot Seth a questioning look, but he just shrugged. Realizing that he wasn't going to explain, Akira turned her attention to the rest of the room. Upon catching sight of three leather dragon saddles, draped over a wooden rack nearby, she walked over to them.

For a moment she stood, staring at them. Hesitating, she carefully reached out with one hand and traced a finger along one of them. It's beautiful.

Every stitch was done to perfection, each helping to hold the saddle together in its own way. The patterns the stitches formed were absolutely stunning. They formed pictures of flowers and dragons, each as delicate as the next.

"Ah, here it is!" Hannah exclaimed from where she was rummaging about.

Akira turned to see her pop back into sight. There was a bundle of something white engulfed in her arms.

"I think this one is the closest to your size." Hannah's eyes twinkled. She came over and handed the bundle over.

Akira took it carefully before she looked at Hannah in confusion. In reply, Hannah nodded to the bundle, prompting Akira to find out for herself what it was. Not hesitating, Akira began to unroll it. Her eyes went wide as a pair of beautiful white leather gloves came into view. Slowly, she reached out and touched them. Upon feeling how delicate and smooth they were she quickly withdrew her hand, scared that she might tear them.

"So, what do you think?" Hannah asked eagerly.

Akira raised her eyes, disbelief in them. "Are-are they for me?" She asked.

"Of course!" Hannah exclaimed beaming. "So is the rest." Her smile grew wider and wider as Akira finished unrolling what was left of the bundle.

Once done, Akira found that she was holding a one-piece outfit, which looked exactly like Seth's, except that it was white. It was made of a soft material, yet not quite as soft as the gloves. On the inside of the pant area, there was soft padding, Akira guessed was meant to make dragon riding more comfortable. Turning it around she saw an emblem of a dragon, which stood on its hind legs, imprinted on the back in black.

"It's beautiful," she breathed as she fingered the material. Her eyes were shining and her lips turned up in a smile.

Hannah clapped her hands together in glee. "I spent quite a while on that one," she babbled. "Now, let's see if all that time was worth it, and it actually fits. Try it on!"

"Now?" Akira asked, glancing uncomfortably at Seth.

"Yes, now," Hannah replied. She turned her eyes on Seth. "You can wait outside," she told him firmly. She began to usher him from the room. Seth left, rolling his eyes on the way.

When he disappeared through the door and shut it behind him, Hannah turned back to Akira. "Well, come on," she probed.

With excitement coursing through her, Akira began to strip, and, once undressed, she slipped into the new clothes. Hannah helped her fasten the one-piece tightly at the back before she stepped back to admire her work. It fit, and Akira was surprised at how comfortable it was. She was free to move about without the clothes restricting, or hindering, her in any way.

Hannah beamed. "Perfect," she announced. For a moment she stood, staring at Akira while Akira herself stared down at the clothes she wore, running her fingers over the material again and again. She had never owned something this comfortable, or this nice.

Is it really mine?

"Oh!" Hannah's eyes widened. "I've just remembered the rest! We aren't done yet!" She disappeared for a moment.

What more could there possibly be? Akira thought as she watched her.

When Hannah re-appeared with a pair of white leather boots, Akira could only stare in shock. She had already been given a new pair of boots today, so surely she wasn't being given another?

Her question was answered when Hannah thrust them into her hands.

"Put these on." Her tone suggesting that there was no arguing.

Akira complied without protesting. She slipped her small feet into the soft interior. They fit! She smiled as she stood and found that they were as flexible and comfortable as the suit she was wearing.

"Now we're only missing a few more things," Hannah announced as she handed Akira the gloves.

Slipping them on Akira was surprised at how soft and silky they were on the inside. They were nothing like her old gloves, ones that had been rough on her fingers and often broken the skin.

"Almost there," Hannah assured, smiling at the bewildered expression on Akira's face. "We only have a few things left. There's the sword, but I suspect that that will come later when they decide that you're ready..." she trailed off, her eyes widening as if she had said something she shouldn't have. Yet Akira did not notice as she tried to process what Hannah had just said about the sword.

They would even give me a sword? she thought.

"Oh, and then there's the helmet. I have that here." Hannah walked to a shelf that was filled with different helmets. They were all smooth and shiny, each a different color. Each also had a visor in front that could be pulled up or down to cover the rider's eyes.

Akira watched as Hannah pulled a smooth white one, with the emblem of the dragon in black on one side, out from among the pile. She came over and handed it to Akira, who reached out and gently took it. Expecting it to weigh a ton, Akira was pleasantly surprised when it felt as light as her boots.

Surprised, she turned it over in her hands. Upon examining it she found the inside it was soft so that it would comfortably cushion her head. The outside, however, was as hard as rock. The visor was black, and it made Akira frown. How am I supposed to see?

"Try it on," Hannah told her, almost bouncing up and down with excitement.

Obeying, Akira slipped it on. It fit snugly, and, once on, it even seemed to tighten slightly. There was nothing to fasten it with and there was no need. It fit too well to fall off her head.

Putting down the visor Akira was surprised to find that she could actually see through it as clearly as if it wasn't there. Confused, she pulled off the helmet again and carefully examined the outside. She couldn't see through the visor at all.

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Hannah laughed at Akira's fascination. "It's extra enforced so that it can withstand the blow of a dragon's tail without cracking. As long as you remember to wear it, your head will be well protected." As though to prove her point, she reached out a finger and warped on the helmet.

From what would I need to protect my head? Akira wondered.

Her thoughts were left unanswered as Hannah began to speak again. "The visor also ensures that you can fly with your eyes open. No wind." Her head bobbed up and down, as though she was agreeing with herself.

Akira wanted to comment that she enjoyed the wind in her face. Instead, she decided to keep quiet. She didn't want to burst Hannah's bubble.

"That's also made of soft metal," Hannah explained. She pointed to Akira's clothes.

Akira stared at Hannah in disbelief, wondering if she was being teased. Soft clothes such as these made of metal? Isn't that just ridiculous? she thought. There's no way!

Yet, Hannah's face was as serious as could be.

"The metal reacts in its own way. It hardens when hit or something bashes into you, protecting you from almost any blow. The tip of a sword, however, can pass through it if it has enough force behind it, so be careful. Other than that, you're pretty well protected...for the most part. Don't ask me how the suit works; I'm just the tailor here. I use what I'm given to work with. All I know is that it has some reaper metal in it...."

Akira opened her mouth to interrupt, to say that she had no idea what reaper metal was, yet Hannah gave her no chance as she went on. "They somehow mixed it with something else to soften it. I don't really want to know how. Anyway, you need to know that the suit can weaken and become useless if you don't bring it for a check up to be mended once in a while. About once every full moon will do." She seemed oblivious to Akira's confusion. "The boots are just boots, very useful for keeping weapons in, but that's not my department. Oh, and lastly your gloves, they help with your grip on the sword, and even if they get wet, they maintain their grip and don't get slippery. Also they are quite useful for holding on to your saddle–"

"I don't have a saddle," Akira cut her off.

Hannah smiled, "No dear, you didn't have one. You do now, I'll fit it onto...what's your dragon's name?"

"Redemption," Akira helped her out.

"Ah, yes, Redemption," Hannah said. "I'll fit it onto Redemption when he comes by later."

There was a soft knock on the door.

"Yes, you can come in now, dear!" Hannah called before she turned back to Akira. "You look lovely, dear. The clothes suit you." She sounded sincere.

"Thank you," Akira murmured shyly. Her fingers played with the helmet in her hands as Seth walked into the room. He froze as he saw her, staring as if seeing her for the first time. It made Akira wish she could see what she looked like.

"Are you all done here?" Seth asked as he quickly averted his eyes.

Akira looked at Hannah who nodded, a smile on her face. "Don't you go getting my nice piece of work ruined in any way. I expect you to take good care of it," she told Akira who nodded vigorously in return. "Good. Now, before you go, I'll take that helmet back and put it where the rest your gear is to be kept." She reached out and Akira reluctantly handed her the helmet.

Hannah took it, cradling it as if it were a small child.

"Thank you," Akira said softly.

"Oh you're welcome, dear. It's an honor actually. Anytime you need something just come to old Hannah and I'll help you out." Her eyes twinkled. "Just don't forget to bring your clothes for a checkup now and then. In the meantime, I'll be working on another." She nodded and turned, walking to the back of the room.

"That's our signal to go," Seth said softly.

Nodding, Akira turned and followed him out of the door. She felt very different, and yet extremely comfortable in her new outfit.

Seth lead the way back to the lift. This time there was none waiting for them, just a simple door made of metal bars. Through them, Akira could see a big hole that plunged down into darkness. She watched curiously as Seth pulled the cord that hung just outside the hole. It took a few moments before a cage suddenly whooshed up from below. It came to a stop with a clank, making Akira jump.

There was silence as Seth opened the door and walked in. Akira quickly followed. Once she was in, Seth reached out and pulled the cord.

As the cage began to plummet downwards Akira's stomach feel queasy. She was beginning to feel dizzy when the cage suddenly came to a halt, almost knocking her off her feet.

"You get used to it." Seth grinned, seeming to see Akira's pale face. He opened the door and got out.

With a spinning head, Akira stumbled after him. Once out of the lift, she automatically turned towards the next one. A hand shot out and grabbed her own, spinning her around. Akira stood, frozen. She stared down at Seth's hand that held her own.

The boy didn't seem to notice. "This way," he said pointing to a door to the right. He let go of her hand and walked towards it.

Akira paused. She looked lifted her hand before her face, peering at it.

"Coming?" Seth's voice snapped her from her daze and she hurried after him.

Upon passing through the door she found that it led into a narrow corridor, down which Seth walked. He ignored doors to his right and left and kept going until he stopped at a particular large one. Catching up, Akira saw that it was a thick door made of wood. From behind it, she could hear the hum of many voices.

Seth turned to Akira, a grin on his face. "You ready?"

Akira's forehead wrinkled. "For what?" she asked.

Seth's grin only widened as he took in the confused look on her face. "It's lunch time," he told her as he turned the handle on the door. "And time to meet some other riders of the Academy," he added mysteriously.

More people? Akira's heart sped up. She was ready to tell Seth that it was okay. I don't like crowds...

It was too late as Seth already pushed the door open. Akira had no choice but to face her doom within.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 368 15
Orphaned at the age of ten, Blake found himself fighting in the streets and learning to fend for himself. His new life at the university was going we...
684K 27.2K 85
He can hear her each breath He can see her every move He can sense her every emotion He can appear anywhere He craves her He wants her And He has her...
41.6K 3K 49
Who knew what would happen after stealing some bread from a street stall? Certainly not Nagan. Nothing out of the ordinary should have happened, cons...
5.2K 794 49
The world had long since forgotten the age of dragons, those creatures that had once ruled the skies as gods had long since disappeared after the con...