For Auld Lang Syne (Navy Book...

By Sarahbeth552002

Devon Tatum had waited ten years for Josh McIntire to come back into her life. Where he had been for the pas... More

The Beginning...
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 (The End)
Don't Say Good Bye
Sweetest Goodbye (Navy book 3)
A Beautiful Mess
Soft Place to Fall
More of You
Dream
Love Me Sweet (Love Me book 1)
Love Me True (Love Me book 2)
To See You
The Best Thing (Stevens Book 8)
Let It Be Me (Triplets 1)
And So It Goes (Stevens book 10)

Chapter 14

52.5K 2.2K 94
By Sarahbeth552002

Devon was ready to go when Josh and Kellan showed up the next morning. The power had come back on at about six that morning, and she and Nina had been at the bar early to clean-up everything. She had packed the day before, and she had been glad to help Nina and release some of the nervous energy that had built up since she had last talked to Josh.

She knew that it would be impossible to have a private conversation with him on the car ride since Kellan would be with them, but she had decided to get him on his own the first chance she got and find out what he was up to. Devon wanted a resolution once and for all because being his friend was not working for her. She had wanted all of him then and she still wanted all of him. The only difference was that ten years ago she had wanted him as a girl and now she wanted him as a woman. A woman who saw all of his charms and his flaws.

Kellan took the back seat of the truck with the luggage. Each man had a duffle and a garment bag which she guessed held their suits for the wedding. Devon had tried to pack as little as possible, but knowing her sister she would have to have a different outfit for every event. Not for the first time Devon wished women had it as easy as men did in the fashion department.

They were travelling two hours to an estate on the western side of the state which had been rented by the groom's family for privacy. Bree had shared some of the events that had been planned during her brief visit. Hunting was at the top of the list since Hal and his father were very keen on it. There was to be a different party every night as well as teas and luncheons. They were all expected to stay through the wedding and the enormous reception afterwards which was doubling as a New Year's Eve Party.

Christmas Eve was the following day, and she had done her best to get everyone she knew a gift, but she wasn't sure if it was going to be done the traditional way she was used to, around a Christmas tree, or if it was going to be a nonchalant affair.

Devon had gotten her parents the usual little trifles, a Hermes scarf for her mother, a new golf shirt for her father, and Bree and Hal were receiving a couple's massage. For Kellan she had gotten a pre-release copy of the book that she had written on the science of facial expressions and body language since he had expressed an interest in having a copy for his library. She had finished writing it before she left the West Coast and hadn't told anyone but him that she had written it, and she was excited to share it with someone who shared her interest.

She had thought carefully about what to get Josh and had almost decided against getting him something until she saw a figurine of a little boy holding a glass firefly in the palms of his hands. The colors were so vibrant it looked as if it was glowing when it was held up to the light. The more she thought of it the more unlikely she thought it was that she would give it to him since, to her, it meant so very much. Josh had been that little boy holding the firefly. Devon had been his then and she still was now. She was certain after she gave it to him that no words would be necessary as he would know exactly how she felt.

"What are you thinking about, Devon?" Josh asked as he took his eyes off the road just long enough to glance at her. Devon watched his strong hands on the wheel as he navigated the wet road.

"Nothing much," she said, turning to look out the window at the passing scenery. He and Kellan were dressed for any circumstance they encountered when they arrived at the estate. They were both wearing dress slacks with dress shirts and their ties and coats were draped over the luggage in case they were needed. "I was just thinking how much easier it is for men to pack for these kind of events."

"How do you figure?" Josh asked.

Devon shrugged. "You and Kellan are fairly comfortable and casual as you are, but if needed, you can both throw on a coat and a tie and are instantly prepared for a fancy lunch. I, on the other hand, am stuck in a dress with heels, and probably overdressed. I had to pack a different outfit for every event, including shoes and accessories. The two of you only need a couple of suits and can change your ties and shirts for a completely different look."

"If you think your overdressed, why didn't you wear something else?"

Devon shuddered. "Have you met my mother?"

Josh gave a low warm chuckle that sent shivers up Devon's spine. "Remind me to thank you mother for such a lovely view." He looked over at her with a grin, letting his gaze linger on her legs where her dress had ridden up when she had kicked off her shoes.

"We're going to have to have a talk this week, Josh." Devon whispered. "I can't take much more of your blow hot blow cold attitude."

"Yes, we will talk, Devon. I'm tired of it too." He nodded as Devon's gaze flew to his face which was giving nothing away.

She gave a low grumble of frustration, what did that mean? Was he ready for more or less where she was concerned? Bree was still floating around out there, what if she actually managed to get her clutches into him? She watched him smile at her grumble. She had no doubt that he knew what she was thinking, and what she wanted.

"You're a complete and utter-"

"No name calling!" Kellan called from the back seat. "Once it's out you can't take it back, and you two should save this talk for later when you don't have an audience."

"Doesn't he ever just piss you off to the point of wanting to hit him?" Devon turned to look at Kellan who was smiling.

"All the time," Kellan said closing his eyes and leaning his head back.

"Now, what were you really thinking about?" Josh asked.

Devon was way beyond frustrated with Josh, so she would give him something to think about. Maybe then he'd give her a few minutes peace. "I was thinking of Bree."

"What about Bree?" Josh's eyes narrowed as he looked at Devon.  He knew she was about to drop a bombshell.

"You're sure you want to know? It involves Kellan too." Kellan sat up at attention, his eyes glued to hers.

"Devon," Josh warned.

"I could let you both go in there cold. It would make the entertainment value of this weekend go way up, but then again there will be a lot of guns so someone might get hurt." She snuck a peek at Josh before she turned to look back at Kellan with a sweet smile.

"Devon!" they both yelled. The sound was overwhelming in the closed truck.

"Fine!" she yelled back, settling further into her seat. "What do you want to know?"

This time she smiled as Josh let out a cry of frustration. "You're the only person who..." he ended his thought there. What he was about to say was left a mystery to Devon. Was she the only person who could frustrate him, the only person that he would take this kind of teasing from, or the only person that he wouldn't hurt for being a smart-alec?

"Why will there be guns?" Kellan asked, getting to the potential threat first like any true warrior would.

"Hal and his father are major hunters. That's why they picked this estate, so that they could hunt in between the festivities."

"Now, explain Bree, what does she have planned?" Josh's voice was terse.

Devon paused for dramatic effect, as if gathering her thoughts or choosing her words carefully. She knew she was being a brat, but it was great stress relief and it was fulfilling her need for revenge at the frustration Josh had dealt her earlier.

She heard Josh take a deep breath and realized that she had reached the edge of his patience. "Bree want's to have sex with one or possibly both of you. Last time I spoke with her, you were her first choice with Kellan the runner up if you fell through."

"That's why I was invited?" Kellan asked, finally catching on to the master plan.

"That and you're also supposed to keep me from being partnered with Josh so that Bree will have a better shot at him." Devon nodded.

Josh's face had that warrior look, the one he had worn when he realized his mother had played him.

"I've never been so glad to come in second in my life," Kellan said, leaning back thinking. "Why, if your mother and Josh's mother want Bree and Josh to marry, and she admittedly wants him, is she going to marry this Hal guy?"

"I asked her that." Devon said, not sure how to continue without insulting Josh.

Josh pulled into a gas station parking lot cutting the engine of the truck then turning to look at Devon, waiting, suddenly very patient.

"She doesn't want you long-term. You're rich and handsome enough, but you don't do anything important, and Hal does. Hal and his parents can get her into the best parties and make her famous," Devon said it softly, watching Josh closely, his eyes met Kellan's in the mirror and she sensed they needed to talk privately.

"I'll just go use the ladies room. Do either one of you need anything?" Devon asked as she reached for the door handle.

"No," Josh replied, looking at her as if everything was all her fault.

"It's not my fault!" Devon said, jumping out of the truck and slamming the door, and she had the pleasure of watching Josh wince at the sound of metal hitting metal.

*******

"It's not her fault, you know that right?"  Kellan asked, leaning back in his seat watching his friend as he looked away from Devon and out the window in the other direction.

"When did she get so bad?" Josh wondered aloud.

"Who, Devon? Because if you ask me, you deserve everything she just gave you. She loves you and you're playing with her, admit it."

Josh didn't know how to do anything else. It was what they had done when they were younger. They had teased each other, but it had been different then. He had wanted Devon but he hadn't needed her, and lord help him, he needed her now. Coming home to her had been...perfect. Sure, she had been on her butt under a Christmas tree, but he had never wanted her more. It had eased his troubled heart to see her.

Devon's lightness had lifted all of their spirits, which was something they had desperately needed. Now, he couldn't wait to get back from a deployment and find her there to greet him. Josh swallowed hard as he remembered holding her. It had made all the difference, and he wanted that every day, but he didn't know how to move from friend to lover. He had never had a problem with women before, but they had never meant as much as Devon did. He didn't want to screw it up or hurt her more than he already had.

Josh looked in the rearview mirror meeting Kellan's eyes. "No, not Devon. She's always been that bad, Bree."

Kellan smiled at his words. "From what I've heard she's also always been as bad as she is now. You know her type, we've met plenty of them before, she likes the game. It's not about love, it's about the power and the sex. Devon is about the love, and from what I hear she's only ever loved you."

"Where did you hear that?" Josh couldn't help the gruffness in his voice. It was what he wanted to hear more than anything, but he wanted to hear it from Devon herself.

"Nina."

Josh nodded, it made sense.

"What's with the rich thing?" Kellan changed the subject.

"Did I never mention that?" Josh looked at Kellan all innocence.

"Is that why your mother and Bree think you do nothing, because you're rich?" Kellan raised an eyebrow in amusement. 

"Yes, both of them and most people I grew up with think I just bum around the world leading the life of a rich playboy." Josh smiled at the image.

Kellan laughed as Devon opened the door and climbed into the truck. Josh let his gaze linger on her long legs as she reached for the door to close it. She was beautiful.

"Well, you do kind of bum around the world just not as a playboy." Kellan laid his head back and closed his eyes.

"Oops, did I let the cat out of the bag?' Devon innocently asked, settling back into her seat as Josh started the engine.

Josh shook his head as he started the truck. "You're going to have your hands full protecting our virtue Devon. I'd get some rest if I was you."

Kellan chuckled as they rolled out of the parking lot. "Yours more than mine."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 6K 25
This is the second book in the Hitman series, it can be read as a standalone but you'll understand characters a bit better if you read 'Falling for a...
82 0 15
After 8 years together, A.J decides to leave for the military and leave Victoria behind. Devastated and heartbroken Victoria decides to move on and f...
25 0 15
Eight years of missed embraces burns hot when I return to the small town where it all started. I did all the things I left to do; got the degree, the...
1.8K 84 17
Josh and Elizabeth were together for eight years. They were the perfect couple, everyone knew one day they would be married. Until Josh returned home...