Highland Dream (Book 1)

By AzMaz90

The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue
Hamish's Story

Chapter 31

9.4K 556 13
By AzMaz90

Chapter 31

Aislinn collapsed against the door behind her. She had never expected that. The feelings coursing through her still. Her legs no longer holding her upright, but not out of drowsiness anymore. She put trembling fingers against her lips, touching lightly the area that had felt such exquisite pleasure only minutes before. Before almost being caught. Her cheeks once more filled with heat. She could no longer think in straight lines any more.

The door tried to move at her back, forcing her back into the present. “Aislinn, are you alright?” Moving away to let Minna through, she quickly tried to make sure she was presentable, she did not want any rumours spreading because of her attire. Not that Minna was the sort to be malicious, but she did like to talk, a lot, and if she mentioned anything it would be a complete accident. Though it would be no less destructive.

Rapidly undoing her braid as Minna pushed through with a bundle in her arms, not noticing the rush she was in until her hair was free around her shoulders. “Oh, M’lady, you should have waited, I would have done that.” Flustered Minna mumbled under her breath as she bustled around. She was such a large character, she filled the room, and Aislinn was regretting Isla sending her up as her head started pounding.

She let Minna do what she would. Not particularly caring at that moment. Now the rush of the kiss had ended she had dropped back into a lethargy that threatened to send her to sleep on the spot. As Minna comb out her hair she felt her head nodding along with thoughts fuzzy. The next she knew, she was in a new night chemise she thought must be the bundle Minna had brought with her, and she was being settled into bed. The covers toasty warm around her, pulling her down into the twilight world before Minna had closed the door behind her.

Opening her eyes again. A soft white mist surrounded her. She never knew if it was like a blink and she was here or if she had been asleep for hours and she had not remembered or had not dreamed before this time.

The people were back, only this time Cam was there as well, mingling with the others around her. She was in the white dress from the last time she had seen these people. She recognised faces among them now. People who were once her future were now her present. They were clearer, more focused than before. She felt encircled by warmth, love and protection. The last mainly coming from Cam.

Why had she not seen him here before? She didn’t understand. The most important people in her life had always been here. Even if she had not seen them or had not yet met them. Camdyn MacKay should have been one of the most essential of them all, so she would have thought. Was it just because she had not known she would finally get what she had always dreamed of? Or more the fact she did not know how that dream would come into fruition? Had she known what was to come would she have gone looking too soon? Would she never have met him had she known?

She had a feeling, deep inside, that it was something different. Something she had not met before. Camdyn was different. He was almost impossible, her senses getting something different from him than from the others around her. Was it about the dream him before her? Or was it about the real Cam? This place taught her of things to come, impossible, improbable things. This Cam before her was different, and she could get no clear picture as to why.

Cam had stayed up for as long as he could keep his mind working and his eyes open. Isla had done her worst and he had survived. He felt privileged, this was something that he alone could claim. Isla had let him live. He knew he had been wrong, he should have made sure they were in a more private place. But he could not have stopped what had happened, it was inevitable, the thread of fate as Isla had called it had entwined them. Aislinn was always meant to end up with him, God himself had arranged it. He had been in the right place at the right time, he should have never known Aislinn was where he had found her.

He was sure if he had not had his extra sense then Aislinn would not be here today. His world would never have been lit like it was now if that was the case. He did not even like to think of his life without her now. Even though that was admitting a weakness that he knew he would be better without one until he was actually Laird.

Finding himself, wandering aimlessly around his room in the middle of the night, he knew he had to at least try to sleep. Stripping down he redid his plaid so he did not have to if he was roused between now and dawn it was ready to don. He remembered the feeling of holding Aislinn close as she recovered. He felt that his bed was too large for the first time. Too cold, without another body to warm it.

As he slipped into sleep, he felt his consciousness shifting. Moving, he felt connected to his body, yet not. Drawn towards something else, someone else. He had never dreamed like this before. He was in the middle of an empty place, white mist all around him. Turning one way, then the other, nothing changed. He saw a figure in the distance. This was the strangest dream he had ever had. He knew he had to move, but not why only to head towards the figure.

He saw no ground, though it felt solid. He could not see the way accurately, it was like walking through a cloud. It was not oppressive. In fact he didn’t think he had ever felt such peace. It was as if he was always where he had meant to be, he just had never managed to find his way here before.

The woman before him, he knew he was sure. But she wore a glimmering white dress with golden embroidery that he had seen before. The jewellery he saw next, the golden pendant with a ruby droplet. The circlet of golden flowers upon her flowing hair. He knew what she wore, though his brain would not process the image at that moment. The woman before him, he would know on any plane of existence. Here she was different. What she was always meant to be.

She was fuller in figure, than in the real world. Was he seeing her as he always knew she would be? Healthy, glowing, luminous skin that looked so soft to the touch. He did just that. It was a dream after all. Reaching out he cupped her cheek, rubbing his thumb slowly back and forth. She looked back at him with a mixture of confusion and need. The need won out for him. Leaning closer.

He noticed something different. She didn’t pull away, but she was not as she had been earlier with him. Movement. That was the difference. Spinning he placed himself between dream Aislinn and the danger, anything could be in this mist.

Only it was not what he had expected. He saw people. Some he recognised. Some he didn’t. The strangest moment was when he saw his mother among the crowd. She looked as she had when he was tiny. Always with a smile hinting at the edge of her mouth. Laughter in her eyes. She looked so vital and alive. This dream was really going in a direction he could not understand.

Seeing his mother unlocked a part of his memories he had kept hidden for a long time. His mother showing him the dress she had worn on her wedding day. Her line came from royalty, far removed but still of money. That dress and its accessories now graced the only other woman who had meant as much to him. Not even his sister had reached that place, though Isla had come close. He had closed his heart the day she died, and it has only just cracked enough to let a slip of a girl inside.

Was his subconscious telling him what he really wanted? That his mother approved? His head started pounding. Sleep was supposed to revitalise for the day ahead, he had a feeling he was going to exhausted after this one.

Cam had approached her. This was not unusual in the slightest. But as he neared, she felt the difference again, it was subtle. He was different from the others, she just did not understand how. Even more confusing, was instead of kissing her as her body was telling her she desired, he had spun into protection mode. Though she had no idea why. It was almost as if he was here with her. His soul had joined hers in the twilight.

But that was not possible…was it?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

223K 18.4K 64
The Druids were a hunted people long ago...they made a pact to scatter their children throughout time to keep them safe from the massacre to come. Th...
56.3K 5.6K 38
Aislin, girl on earth. Ayduin, Prince of Elm Lenora, Land of Ice Elves. No connection, no way to meet. Both live in two different worlds. Prince is c...
364K 9.3K 62
#1 in sword fighting #3 in darkforest #7 in weapons #12 in gory #25 in mysterious (THIS BOOK HAS MANY GRAMMATICAL ERRORS, it's slowly being edited...
Lost Souls By Kristina_Author

Historical Fiction

91 4 4
"I heard stories be told,.." "About people travelling through time. From somewhere else, they're transported to a strange land. Not knowing what happ...