(Closed To Catch Up) Intervie...

De jyothi89

I aim to give undiscovered authors to explore their views about themselves and their stories. Please check t... Mai multe

What do I do?
Request an Interview
Announcement
1. The Scarlet Knife
2. Disappearances of the Creators
3. The Kingdom Ruins
4. The Mystery Of 79° 41'E
5. The White Capes
6. Aura✨
7. The Hardest Choice
8. Gandivdhari Arjun-The Warrior Prince
10. VEDIC VOWS - THE MOHINI
11.The Light of My Life
12. Mixed Tears
13. Her
14. Bedevilled Angel
15. Swallow
16. Interviewing an Avid Reader- AnyaSharma
17. Samsaara
18. The VIth Element Series (Book 1 and 2)
19. The Velvet Healer
20. The Final Innings
21. Life Threads Series (Duology)
22. Silent Downfall

9. Gleeman's Tales

95 11 5
De jyothi89

Blurb:

Thousands of years after a cataclysmic war shook the Earth and nigh obliterated the human race, the descendants of those who survived have settled into new cities and formed new nations. These medieval societies are not completely devoid of "first age" technology, though an omnipotent cult of violent Luddites actively attempts to erase every record of the first age.

Storyteller Gnochi Gleeman bears the sole burden of humanity's forgotten past. For much of his life, he recounted tales, enlightening his tavern-audiences of their forgotten roots.

Calm is the day when Gnochi wakes to discover that he cannot recall anything from the most recent months of his life. The only thing the bard knows for sure is that a group, called Anubis, has kidnapped his family and in order to see their safe return, Gnochi must kill in the Anubian name.

People across the world are beginning to prepare for the once-in-a-decade winteryear. These maelstroms, only one of the "echoes" of the first age still present, have ravaged the Earth since it awoke from its nuclear slumber and recovered from its near destruction. Will proper preparations be taken before the Earth is blanketed in its yearlong snow?

My Impression: Imagination has no limits.

Interview:

Q. Can you recall how your interest in writing originated?

A. I had written a few short stories and attempted a novel as a pre-teen, but it wasn't until 9th grade honor's English class (that's 13-14 years old) when my love for writing germinated. And I can pinpoint it to a specific moment. We had to write, as a creative work, an additional chapter for Lois Lowry's The Giver. My story, which well surpassed the expectations, was read in front of the class. It was that moment when I, squirming in my seat wondering if everyone had figured out that it was I who had written the story (they were read anonymously) realized that I might enjoy this writing craft.

Q. What is you writing process and the way you brainstorm story idea?

A. There is no set process for my brainstorming. Ideas come as they please...many times into the baker's hours of the morning. With novels, for which I've written two, I spend time creating a quasi-outlined plan. I haven't really ironed everything out. With Gleeman's, it wasn't broken down by chapter, but with Harbinger, its sequel, I had a chapter layout.

I find pen and paper work the best for my brainstorming though. It does lead to a ton of loose paper/mess, but it's a little more personal. If I'm in a rush, and am within range of a computer or my phone, I'll type the idea up, but my preferred method is pen and paper. I actually write my novel's first drafts on paper too, using a fountain pen. No I'm not a hipster (though I do have a typewriter). I actually find the fountain pen slows me down and forces me to actually think about what I'm trying to say. Typing on a computer, my fingers can get ahead of my brain.

Q. Are you writing any other story apart from Gleeman's Tales?

A. The Gleeman's Tales Duology is complete. Years down the line, I may write a third novel in that universe, but I'm not going to be talking about that for quite a while. Outside of the Gleeman's universe, I am working on a robot-SF novel. I'm in the process of outlining that currently. It will be, as of right now, a stand-alone novel that takes place in a society of robots. Not ready to say too much more about that. If you want to stay tuned to hear about that, or are interested in beta-reading for that, check back on my website: matthewtravagline.com

4. Who is your favorite character in your story and why?

A. I don't know if I have a favorite character. I like pieces of all of my characters, and dislike qualities from most. I think I put a bit more of myself into Gnochi. He deserves the praise. We two, Gnochi and I, have been together since the earliest days of Gleeman's inception. Before any other character had a name or role, there was my bard.

Q. What is the strangest comment you have received on your book (on or off Wattpad)?

A. I have some really dedicated beta-readers, and they've made some comments I'd love to share, but I have agreed not to disclose any of their comments. I'm a man of my word, if nothing else. On Wattpad, a commenter called one of my stories (one that is actually included within Gleeman's) "beautifully depressing." And it was actually what I was going for, but it still shocked me.

Additionally, and this was less of a comment, but more of a realization I had. A gentleman who lives in Brazil was messaging me for a while about Gleeman's. He was asking me how I came up with the idea for a certain character and I answered him. He then replied that he actually sees [the character] in a totally different way (physically). It worried me for a moment, because I thought I may have been missing description, but then I realized that it matters naught how someone perceives [the character's] appearance, as long as the personality shines through. People, myself included, will see what we want to see. Even if we read the same words, we will see the characters differently. If you ask ten different people to picture a red hat, you will get ten different hats, all of differing shades of red. That's the beauty of this craft we love. It's not my place as a writer to say that any one way is right or wrong. I'm just happy that someone seemed interested enough to want to learn about the process

Q. If you are in the deserted Island, which two people from your book you would want to live with you and why?

A. Gnochi definitely. His stories alone would help pass the time. As for a second person? Perhaps Harvey. He's resourceful, and intelligent. I'd put him in charge of getting us off the island.

Q. Give us an interesting fun fact about your book.

A. The idea that Gnochi would wear a poncho came from a doodle that I drew in a Spanish class (don't judge!).

Q. What do you think makes your story special and unique?

A.  Anything I say about how special it is will be biased. I have poured all of my essence into it. It has evolved over three plus years to be that which it is today. As for the unique...It is a post-apocalypse, but it's not immediately post-apocalyptic. The setting is medieval, and it takes place thousands of years after the 'end.' So in that way, it's different from the vast majority of post-ap novels. In fact, there are only a few that I've actually seen (there may be more, I admit) that are both post-apocalyptic, but also medieval. It's also unique in how the storytelling is formatted.

The original idea came from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (yes... title nomen-homage), but the storytelling style is more similar to Dandelion's, within Richard Adams's Watership Down. The stories that Gnochi tells are not central to the novel's foundation, like they are with Chaucer, but they are largely important, like they are in Adams's famous rabbit tale. (Yes. That pun was intended.)

Q. What are you trying to achieve with your book?

A. Small-town publication? Big-time fame? Internet stardom? World Domination? I have my goals, and my dreams. I'd love to gain a reputation as a solid fantasy writer. That takes time though, so if Gleeman's puts me a good step forward, I'll be pleased

Q. Is there anything particularly challenging in your writing?

A. Besides writing the song, I found my battles to be most challenging. Keeping track of all the combatants, their varying weapons, skills, and statuses was definitely a challenge. That in mind, if you have any suggestions as to how I might better my particular battle-scenes, I'm definitely open to suggestions and criticisms.

Q. How  do you develop characters? Is it before you start writing or as you go on writing?

A. Can I lie and say before I start writing? No I can't lie. I'm nothing but a man of my word. (I know you're scrolling back up to quote me on that.) I actually did some character planning before I even started outlining Gleeman's Tales. But, I had to adapt. Sometimes, as I was penning the first draft, my hands would go into autopilot and a new character would have to be created on the spot. And in those cases, I didn't always go back and give them the same pre-planning that my heavy-hitting characters received. With this new novel though, the robot-SF novel that I'm planning now, I am going through and planning out all the major characters ahead of time. But like I said. Sometimes the scene needs to change a little bit from how I've imagined it. That change is usually more organic than whatever I had planned beforehand, so I trust it

Q. Out of all the protagonists, which one do you feel you relate to the most?

A. Gnochi. Easily. But that's because I gave him so many of my own faults and quirks. For instance, if I had to survive/live in a post-apocalyptic world, I'd love for my profession to be bard. Then again...I do relate to Harvey just a little bit.

Q. What inspired you to the fantasy genre?

A. Fantasy is my proverbial, and metaphorical jam! It is the genre that allows me to create magic as plainly as I breathe. It is my go-to, as far as reading is concerned. Ironically though, most of the works that I have planned, starting with Gleeman's and going past the robot-SF novel, are heavy in Science-fiction. Yes, Gleeman's is a sword/arrow fantasy, but it also is set in a SF world, and intertwined within are lots of SF elements and themes.

14. How did you come with the name "Gleeman". Is it only because as you said in your story that Gnochi likes lit up with glee?

A.  Gleeman is actually a two-fold name. I wanted Gnochi to have a last name that identified his profession (since so few people in this world have surnames) but still could be a last name without being too crazy. I'll be the first to admit that my characters run the gambit for odd names, but I wanted Gnochi's last name to normal-ish. And really, among the entertainer fields, Gleeman is the one that most fits a surname standard. Jester, joker, clown, bard, fool, etc. None of those screamed last name. Gleeman fit.

Plus, it pays homage to one of my all-time favorite fantasy series (Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time). Within the WoT, there is an archetype of characters called gleemen. They are your entertainers, well versed in poem, song, instrument, story, and the more carnal entertainer arts. Gnochi is, in many ways, an homage to them. And since he was able to choose his own last name, he made the choice, (and I'm actually going to quote) "I borrowed the name from two places: the actual lives of early first age entertainers and from the lore of late first age entertainers,"

Q. Where do you see the relation between Cloe and Gnochi going?

A. (Light spoilers to follow.) The relationship between Gnochi and Cleo is entirely familial. Other characters comment about it, making snide jokes or insinuating romance. There is none. Through their own challenges, they have become to each other, what they each were missing. Cleo's male influences were less than stellar, so Gnochi fills the role of father. Not only does he protect her, but he teaches her (literally and metaphorically) how to live and survive in an unknown world. And Gnochi, who, as far as we know, has no children, is able to adopt Cleo as a surrogate child.

Q. If you want to change one thing in your story what would it be?

A. Honestly, any changes that I'd want to make, I made. The beauty of not being published is that I can make edits and have them live within seconds. As for substantial edits...I'm not sure if I'd make any changes. If you had asked me this question a few years ago, after I had just finished writing the first drafts, I could have given you quite a few answers, but those have already been rectified and changed.

Q. Was there any particular research done before you started writing?

A. Every book I pick up and read is technically research. But as for the specifics... Yes and no. Kinda. Harbinger had more concrete research, because I had to envision a possibility where the oceans froze over top and created a tundra. That required more research in the traditional sense of the word.

Q. What books are you reading now and planning to read(On and off Wattpad)?

A. On Wattpad, I'm reading The White Capes, by trueathenian and I am loving it. TWC is a sword and sorcery fantasy novel, still being published, and looks to be very thoroughly planned. Once that is finished, I do have a number of books in my Wattpad to-read list, but I'm not sure which will come next. I have to do one at a time, because between WP, work, class, and free-read, I rarely have time to write. Outside of Wattpad, I'm in the process of finishing The Wheel of Time series. I actually have just finished book 13/14, and will begin the last novel (these are usually 700-1000 pages each) soon. As of this moment though, I'm reading Philip K Dick's SF novel: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Q. What is more important: Character or Plot?

A. There are only so many plots, and it is the characters that people remember (usually). Characters bring the plot to a life of its own. I guess characters.

Q. Which book do you feel you could have written better and why?

A. Every book exists in its own bubble of time and space. I'm not sure how I would be able to write anything better than its author because I was not present when it was written. That's kind of a jerk-way to run around the question, I suppose.

Q. What genre apart from fantasy appeals you?

A. Science fiction. I can actually hear you moaning right now. Aside from the major speculative genres, which often appear hand-in-hand, I enjoy the occasional YA/MG novel, though my tolerance for new YA is dwindling. I have my established authors, and most outside of their work fails to stand up, in my opinion.

Q. How would you convince one to read your story?

A. I suppose I could beg... I'm not sure. I could recite my blurb, or my synopsis. But I find talking about my work to be a very stressful situation. If a coworker asks me about it, for instance, I choke up and sound like a babbling fool. "No. I promise. I actually spent three plus years of my life on this project. I have left all of the bodily fluids (well most of them) on the battlefield in the drafting of this novel and its sequel. It is my metaphorical baby and I could not be prouder of it." But ask me to tell you what it's about, and I'll be at a loss for words.

Q. Are you satisfied with the sort of attention you are receiving on Wattpad?

A. On one hand, no. I'd love to be getting tens of thousands of hits. Daily comments and questions that I can interact with. Concerns that I might not have seen. But on the other... I started from the bottom and somehow managed to accumulate 1 view, and 2.1k of my own edits on my work (that's a joke, by the way. Wattpad humor).

I am pleased with the progress I've made. Yes, I'd love to be swimming in participation. Reads, comments, votes, love, hate (let me know what irks you), etc. Perhaps in the future, I can get featured through Wattpad and get a good audience that way.

Also, just a little plug. If you enjoyed reading Gleeman's I'll appreciate and be grateful for any support you can give as it is in the running for Wattys2016.

Q. What would you advice to an aspiring writer?

A. Reading all the time is the first step. If I ever run out of books in my to-read pile, something is gravely wrong. The planet might be falling out of sync or its orbit. There is always a stack of books on my floor, on my bookshelf, in random piles, etc. that is waiting for my perusal. Always read. It'll help you figure out how you want to write, what works best for you, etc., a lot more than some schmuck telling you on the Internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you MatthewTravagline for taking out time and answering all my questions. I really wish you start posting your sequel sooner. :)

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

20.6K 60 12
I was changing earlier and caught my reflection in the mirror for the first time in a while... have I really let myself go? where did all this jiggle...
36K 7.5K 35
OPEN! Join a community of passionate readers, where the love of literature meets a welcoming and professional atmosphere.
13.3K 373 13
"𝑪𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒎𝒚 𝒆𝒚𝒆, 𝑰 𝒂𝒊𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒑𝒐𝒕 𝒄𝒖𝒛 𝑰 𝒃𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒐 𝒚𝒐𝒖"
56.6K 1.2K 26
.. a story, of a girl who has a condition that could change her life for the greater good. Loni has a medical condition that stopped her from develop...