White Fire

By CharlayMarieWrites

She was told to fear him... She was told that his evil would devour her... She was told to stay far away... B... More

Chapter One: The Ice Castle
Chapter Two: The Dining Hall
Chapter Three: Dragon Stone
Chapter Four: The Cold Prince
Chapter Five: Firelander
Chapter Six: Ice Hearts
Chapter Seven: A Pool of Misery
Esmeralda
Chapter Nine: The Chosen Four
Chapter Ten: Witch's Closet
Chapter Eleven: The Ward
Chapter Twelve: Private Lessons
Chapter Thirteen: Winter's Stone
Chapter Fourteen: Red Flag
Chapter Fifteen: Captain
Chapter Sixteen: Doomed
Chapter Seventeen: Eliza
Chapter Eighteen: The King's Lair
Chapter Nineteen: The Kiss
Chapter Twenty: Teach Me
Chapter Twenty One: Mistress
Chapter Twenty Two: Polar Opposites
Chapter Twenty Three: The Ride
Chapter Twenty Four: Trouble
Chapter Twenty Five: The King's Honor
Chapter Twenty Six: The Plan
Chapter Twenty Seven: Draggo
Chapter Twenty Nine: Again
Chapter Thirty: Touché, Prince
Chapter Thirty One: The Unexpected
Chapter Thirty Two: The Fight
Chapter Thirty Three: Written in Blood
Chapter Thirty Four: Luca
Chapter Thirty Five: The Speech
Chapter Thirty Six: The Dream
Chapter Thirty Seven: Crystal
Chapter Thirty Eight: Cora
Chapter Thirty Nine: Slanathys Rebels
Chapter Forty: The Return of Prince
Chapter Forty One: Intruder
Chapter Forty Two: The Warning
Chapter Forty Three: Retribution
Chapter Forty Four: The Fire King
Chapter Forty Five: The Parting
Thank You!

Chapter Twenty Eight: Caught

104K 6.3K 1K
By CharlayMarieWrites

Prince Sebastian

It appears that every time I suffer, it is your doing. I wish that I could tell you to stay far away from me...

Anya's last words to me seemed to haunt me to no avail. Why was I so affected by her departure? I was the 'Cold Prince' with the ice heart, the person my people feared most. And yet, there I was, resting against my headboard, sulking about the fact that I'd hurt a girl.

How insane was I to think that Anya and I could be cordial, even after all that I had done to her? It was foolish of me to even try.

"Ahhh!" I thrashed my fist against my icy headboard, watching pieces crack from the impact. I was so angry with myself.

Since when did I care how others felt? I had trained myself to feel nothing when I slaughtered innocent noblemen for his kingliness. Surely I could train myself not to care for some simple girl.

If she wanted her space then I'd give it to her. If she wanted things to return to how it used to be before I became kind, then consider it done. She'd regret it more than I.

There was a faint knock at my door and I closed my eyes, wishing the person coming into my room would just go away. I didn't want to be bothered by her, not when another women plagued my mind. With much reluctance, I opened my eyes and took in the sight of her.

Although I hated to admit it, Lady Esmeralda was as exceptional as ever as she stood there wearing a dark blue gown - the one she knew was my favorite. The teasing neckline hinted to her cleavage while elongating her neck, and she wore her hair in waves that cascaded down her back. On her face, she wore a look of mischief, and I could always see right through the leech that she was.

On a normal day, I wouldn't have even cared about her agenda. I would've just taken what she had to offer and sent her on her way. But with the situation with Anya so fresh in my head, Lady Esmeralda's presence only annoyed me. I was sure she could see it on my face.

"What do you want?" I asked her, earning a genuine frown. She never had to suffer through my coldness, but tonight, she would.

"I heard about the attack," she began. "The Queen was strolling through the grounds near the castle when a dragon advanced. I heard it took three guards to kill it."

"Wrong," I snapped. "It took one girl to kill the beast."

"Who, might I inquire?" she asked, but I had a feeling that she already knew. Then why was she playing stupid? Conniving woman.

"It was Lady Anya," I answered anyway, and her face turned sour.

"No, I didn't hear anything about her being there, although she has her own rumors circulating around."

"Really?" I sat up in bed, watching Lady Esmeralda's eyes brighten.

"Yes. Two rumors, actually. The first one is highly unbelievable," she laughed, making her way to where I sat on the bed. "The rumor is that she is your mistress and that the King had a fit about it while his maids were within earshot. Imagine how hard I laughed when I heard that one. These maids will make up whatever story they can just to entertain the royal women in the north."

I clenched my jaw but didn't deny or confirm the accusations. "And the second rumor?"

"Oh, right." She sat down on the bed and turned toward me. "Anya was seen sneaking out of her trainee's room last night. And it was past midnight." She paused, as if to allow her words to sink in. "Tell me, Prince Sebastian, why would a woman leave a man's room at such a late hour?"

"Which trainee's room was it?" I asked, ignoring her question. I could hear how deadly my voice sounded.

"I'm not quite sure which male it was, I didn't see his face."

"Wait...you saw this happen?" I couldn't believe it.

"Yes, I was the one who saw it."

I studied her face for a moment and saw no signs of deceit. For the first time since being aquatinted with her, I decided that I believed her, and this revelation with Anya made me livid.

But why was I angry? I didn't care what Anya did. I had Lady Esmeralda who was prettier and more graceful. And to prove to myself why I didn't care, I took her to bed.

I wanted to wake Lady Esmeralda from her deep
slumber but decided against it. On any other night, I would've told her to leave, but it was I who needed to step out. Fresh air and the night's sky to relax me would do the job

I tried to have my way with Lady Esmeralda but I found myself unable to, as stress had gotten the best of me. Lady Esmeralda decided to be patient and wait around to see if my situation improved. Eventually, she fell asleep and while she slept I leaned against the headboard, overthinking everything in my life.

I looked over and saw that it was only twenty minutes past midnight. I crawled out of my bed, dressed and made my way to the door.

I paid no attention to my surroundings as I walked down the dark and lonely passageway with a chip on my shoulder. I had a lot to be stressed about.

I needed to figure out how to keep my father from using the winter stone on the trainees, as well as make sure that all four of them were strong enough just in case my father went through with his plan. I had the mystery of the riderless dragon to solve, the fact that Anya hated me, and the idea of her sleeping around to add to my bucket of frustrations.

The last idea somehow bothered me more than any of them.

I was pulled away from my thoughts as I felt a familiar sensation. I turned down a dark passageway and saw two hooded figures walking away from the dungeon stairwell. I didn't have to see her face to know that she was hidden behind the cloak on the right.

"Lady Anya," I called out and watched as she froze in place. The other girl sped up and turned a corner before I could stop her. I didn't care. It was Anya that I wanted.

She turned toward me and remove the hood from her head, and from the sight of her fearful eyes, I knew I looked as deadly as I felt inside.

I marched toward her with clenched fists that barely contained my white fire. Oh, if she thought I was cold before, she was about to learn just how cold I could get...

Discussion time:

How do you feel about Sebastian not being able to 'perform' with Lady Esmeralda? Do you think there is more to it than stress?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.2K 674 63
Book one in "The Reign of The Flame" series "If she became queen, she would be the end of us all." A disinherited princess and a kingdom on the verge...
754 42 15
The story of the rise and fall of a kingdom and the young prince born with witch blood. Everyone has their own path but what if you find out you migh...
778 97 11
"Oh, Sas... It's not just your obedience that I want." She ran her hand down my face, softly gripping my chin. Her dark gaze burnt a trail to the red...
1.2K 491 45
(Completed: 5/9/2024) The Dark One is on the move. Never seen, but always there. No one knows their name. No one knows if they're even a person. Some...