FROST- Jotun Chronicles #1

By ELatimer

"*Completed*"I froze the first boy I ever kissed. And I don't mean he got cold feet..." Megan is pretty unhap... More

Prologue
New School
Charlotte
Dreams
Freak Out
Captured
Hidden Talents
Betrayer
Escape
Amora
Changes
Suspicions and Sandwiches
Gifts from the Ice Queen
The Fake Detective
Charlotte to the Rescue
The Ice Chest
Introductions
The Ice Palace
The Royal Treatment
Lady Edda
The Heir
Lessons with Lief
Prophecies and Memories
Battle Training
Fireside Surprise
Master of Disguise
Broken Dreams
Decisions
Ice and Wine
Discovered
The Execution
Jail Break
Through the Forest
The Camp
Newcomers
The Council Meeting
Wolves
Through the Pass
Safe House
Surprise Visit
King Surtr
Private Tour
Horsey Lessons
Secret Garden
The Dance
New Teacher
Shimmer
The alarm
Ready for Battle
Riding into Battle
Terms and Conditions
Silent Plea
Death Comes Calling
Sacrifice
An End of Sorts
Coronation
Coronation Party
Through the Rain
Epilogue
About the Author
The Story of Loki - Part 1
The Story of Loki - Part 2
The Story of Loki - Part 4
Christmas Special: Letters from Loki
The Unequivocally Romantic & Thoughtful Poetry of King Loki Laufeyson
A Text Message Conversation Between Loki & Megan
Update: From Norse to Celtic Mythology (Street Teams & Free Books)
The Story of Revna

The Story of Loki - Part 3

39.2K 2.3K 151
By ELatimer

While I was still hesitating I saw her walk out onto the snow, stepping carefully, holding the flashlight up and skipping the beam across the lawn. She held it in such a way that I knew she was both scanning the yard and ready to clobber anyone she saw out there. I admired that, but there was no time to think about her bravery. Erik was approaching her.

It took a couple seconds for her to spot him, he was so silent, and I tensed, mind racing. He was approaching her carefully, like he just wanted to talk. I'd known Erik for long enough, he was a sensible man, for a frostie. Perhaps he would just talk, maybe leave her to make her own decision. It would be stupid to frighten her if they wanted her on their side...

There was movement behind her, a flicker of a shadow on the snow, a pale man creeping up behind her. Erik's wretched captain. Before I could fling myself forward the man grabbed her from behind, clamping his hand over her mouth.

The girl slumped sideways, and I took a startled step forward, heart hammering in my ears. The snow crunched under my boot, and the man holding Amora jerked his head up, eyes scanning the street both ways. I froze.

There were still two of them and only one of me. Besides that, I had a good idea that they'd rather her dead then end up in my hands. This had to be dealt with delicately.

Still, I was nearly vibrating with tension as I watched the second man drag her across the snow, he handled her less like a girl and more like a sack of flour.

Erik was moving toward his fellow soldier, and his voice drifted across the still expanse of snow. "You just directly disobeyed the queen's orders. Are you insane?"

"I won't have her getting away," the other man's words were fainter, almost grumbled under his breath, but I've always had exceptional hearing. God-like, some might say.

"You'll have your head getting away from your shoulders when she finds out about this." Erik protested as he trailed behind the man, obviously his superior, if he wasn't full-on giving him a tongue-lashing for what had just happened.

Even so, he was obviously furious.

"But she won't find out, will she?" the other man growled at him.

"What's to stop the girl from telling her? Have you been drinking again? Gods..."

Erik's voice was cut off as they got into the black, windowless van at the end of the road. I noted Erik's companion loaded Amora in the back of the vehicle. Which was both incredibly disrespectful and very convenient for me.

Thank the gods the man was an incompetent ass.

As soon as both men were in the truck I raced for my own car, only a few feet away, in the neighbors' driveway, still rumbling quietly, sending up puffs of exhaust into the cold night air.

I reached for the door handle, just as something came down heavy on my shoulder. "Loki Laufeyjarson! Explain yourself."

I didn't turn around, knowing full well it was Jared. "Mother, is that you?" I found myself wrenched around for my trouble, staring up into the very angry face of the captain of the guard. His black beard bristled as he glared at me. I always had to resist the urge to take a pair of scissors to the thing some night when he was sleeping.

"I'm afraid I can't stay and chat—"

"You warned the damned frosties!" He was livid, spitting at me as he yelled. I grimaced as a fleck of it hit my cheekbone. "What in hel's dark hallways do you think you're doing?"

He was wasting my time, and besides that, only my father was allowed to use my full name. The man was overstepping his bounds. I shook his hand off and spoke evenly.

"I think I'm going after Amora, since the frosties have her right about now. Also, that you've got about ten seconds to get out of my face, Captain. After that I won't be as civil."

Slowly, too slowly for my liking, the captain of the guard stepped to one side. His face was a thunderstorm though. He was barely containing his fury at me.

Something would have to be done about dear old Jared at a later date.

But not now. Now I was busy.

I slid onto the seat and slammed the door, giving Jared a cheerful wave and a smile before I peeled out of the drive as fast as I could, making sure to spray him with snow as I did.

They were far ahead of me, but apparently Erik's commander drove like an old man, because it only took three minutes to catch up. I hung back though, not wanting to draw attention to myself yet, thinking hard.

I had to formulate a plan to get her away from them. There was no way I could run them off the road without putting the girl in danger. Besides that, I was pretty happy with them not knowing they were being pursued, trying to ram them would be a dead giveaway.

So for a few hours I just followed behind, taking care to let other traffic get between us, stopping a few miles after they pulled into a gas station and watching the road for them until I spotted the van. The commander was an idiot, but Erik was sharp, it wouldn't escape his notice that he was being followed for long.

Back on the road the traffic was starting to thin as we made our way out of the city. The last few miles of humanity before we began heading out onto the open countryside. On my left a passing police car caught my eye, and an idea sprang to mind, one that sent a grin tugging at the corner of my mouth. Not only would this work, but it would be a good time too. I flexed my fingers and spread my hands over the steering wheel with a flourish. "Ready? Oh yes, I'm ready. Odin save me and guide me, this shit's about to get messy."

I spun the wheel hard and swerved across the road, narrowly missing the back end of the police car, then whipped the truck back the other way, tires screeching on the pavement. Up ahead the van vanished around the corner.

That's okay, there was only one road from there and I knew they were going well below the speed limit.

As expected, there was a flash of red and blue in the rear view mirror, and I jammed on the breaks and pulled the truck over, smiling so wide it hurt my face.

This will be fun, fun, fun.

I leaned back in the seat, drumming my fingertips on the steering wheel, tipping my head back to examine the ceiling, humming to myself. Finally the crunch of boots on gravel came, and I sat up and rolled the window down slowly.

The cop leaned forward, bracing one arm against the window of my truck. I caught a whiff of cigar smoke. He had a big bushy mustache and thick black brows, currently drawn down low in a scowl. His face was slightly red too.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble you're in, son?"

"Offisarr...," I waved one hand at him, still grinning, drawing my words out long and lazy. "Why did you...you pulled me over? What did I do?"

The officer's face went an even darker shade of red, and he barked out, "License and registration, now."

"Shhure..." I leaned sideways, still grinning, pulling the glove compartment open. A snack packet fell out onto the floor, scattering pretzels across the carpet and seat. "Oh shorry...I just...I have these pretzels but no license. Do you want a snack pack?"

I was afraid I might have been overdoing the drunken slur, but the officer only looked progressively more furious. He didn't seem to realize it was an act. He straightened up, slamming a fist against the window frame, making me jump. "Get out. You're walking a line."

Perfect.

"Oh, excellent," I slurred at him. "Tricks. I do great tricks."

"I'm sure you can," he growled, and yanked the door open.

I stumbled out, waving my arms. "What now?" I should do what I was planning, but I was having too much fun at this point. He was just so angry. I could practically see his bushy mustache bristling. "Shall I sing a ballad for you? Perform a minuet? We'll have to get someone to sing us a waltz though, and I insist on leading."

He didn't seem to notice I'd dropped the slurring. "Enough of the jokes. Walk a straight line, I want to see you do it."

I pressed my lips together, turning my eyes upwards, pretending to think. "Hmm, that's rather blasé, not creative at all. But if you insist." I moved forward in a straight line, perfectly straight, flawlessly straight, right toward him. The officer frowned, puzzled.

"Wait, are you...."

I brought both hands up with a flourish, hot orange flames burning in the centers of my palms. Moving my hands back and forth, I make the fire dance, over and under my fingers, flickering around my wrists and over my arms. "How about catching fire without burning, is that a better trick, officer?"

I was deadly serious now. No more jokes. The police officer went pale, the blood draining from his face.

"I'm going to take your car," I said evenly. "This is just a very strange dream you're having right now." When he began to reach for his gun I let the flames flare brighter. "Not a good idea. Besides, just a dream, remember."

"It's a trick—"

I let the flames crawl over my shoulders, up to my face, down my torso. Thankfully the clothing I had on were fairly flame resist, but I only let myself burn for a few seconds before putting out the flames. "Not a trick."

The officer closed his eyes tight, and I turned for his car. "I'm just going to borrow your car. Look for it later tonight and you'll find it." I gave him one last grin over my shoulder as I climbed into the driver's seat of the squad car. "And I promise not to drive it too fast."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

478K 24.2K 30
{Completed} Highest Ranking: # 1 in Fantasy (01/28/17) Book. 1 My blood boiled at the thought of one of them in our streets, hidden in plain sight, p...
752 97 11
"Oh, Sas... It's not just your obedience that I want." She ran her hand down my face, softly gripping my chin. Her dark gaze burnt a trail to the red...
4.2K 297 54
With the shake of a bell And a chant of a spell The innocent princess was made to forget it all Until she was to fall ...
372 30 7
Stubborn neat-freak Germany sets off on a not so epic journey-allying with idiotic pasta hunter Italy and his bitter reindeer Romano-to find his brot...