Hustle (Book 1 in The Hunted...

By clairechilton

RULE#1: DON'T STEAL HIS HEART. After ripping off a dangerous mob boss, Ellie Phillips decides it's time to q... More

Hustle | Title Page
Hustle | Dedications
Hustle | Chapter 1
Hustle | Chapter 2
Hustle | Chapter 3
Hustle | Chapter 4
Hustle | Chapter 5
Hustle | Chapter 6
Hustle | Chapter 7
Hustle | Chapter 8
Hustle | Chapter 9
Hustle | Chapter 10
Hustle | Chapter 11
Hustle | Chapter 12
Hustle | Chapter 13
Hustle | Chapter 14
Hustle | Chapter 16
Hustle | Chapter 17
Hustle | Chapter 18
Hustle | Chapter 19
Hustle | Chapter 20
Hustle | Chapter 21
Hustle | Chapter 22
Hustle | Chapter 23
Hustle | Chapter 24
Hustle | Chapter 25
Hustle | Chapter 26
Heist | Title Page
Heist | Chapter 1
Heist | Chapter 2
Heist | Chapter 3
Author's Note
Free Books

Hustle | Chapter 15

160K 2.2K 192
By clairechilton

Copyright 2013 - All Rights Reserved

Hustle By Claire Chilton

15

Overboard

"What do you mean Jimmy's gone?" Ellie listened to Jacob as he spoke to someone on his cell phone. She leaned closer to the window of the wheelhouse, ducking down to ensure she wouldn't be spotted.

For the most part, she and Jacob had avoided each other since their ridiculous conversation, but that didn't mean she hadn't been watching what he was doing while being trapped on this boat with him.

It doesn't mean I trust him.

"Bill, don't tell me he's skipped town. We need to find out what he's up to."

She frowned.

Is Jimmy okay?

"So he left the hotel. Where did he go next?" Jacob paused for a moment. "How can you not know? He can't just disappear!"

She knew all too well how easily Jimmy could make himself disappear, but why would he?

"What girl?"

She peeked over the edge of the window when Jacob's voice went silent. He was standing near the helm, looking out across the ocean. He held the phone to his ear with his back to her. She stared at his free hand as he rested it on the wheel. Her eyes traveled up his tanned arm to the rolled-up sleeve of the crisp white shirt he was wearing. The shirt was tight across his back, clearly one size too small for his broad shoulders.

One good thing about the boat had been that there were clothes on board. Ellie and Jacob didn't know whose clothes they were, just that they were men's. Ellie had ended up in a giant blue shirt and denim shorts that were held up by a piece of rope for a belt while her own clothes were hanging from a line, drying off after being washed.

She ducked down low again when Jacob started to turn his head. "How do you know she's not just someone he picked up?"

It has to be Cheryl that he's talking about. Jimmy doesn't talk to girls unless they're online.

"You think it's Meyer?"

She frowned. She tried to put two and two together. Half a conversation wasn't much to go on, but it sounded as if Cheryl worked for Meyer.

God, what kind of mess is Jimmy in because of me? Is he okay?

"Isla Precosia? Wait a minute." There was a sound of rustling paper. She peeked over the window frame again to see Jacob leaning over a map, studying it. "I'm really close. If they've gone there, I can probably pick them up and have a matched set."

A matched set? Does he mean me and Jimmy? Jimmy's on the island! What the hell is he doing there?

"I dunno, but she's not talking much."

Jacob laughed. "Oh, really? Well, I don't think you know very much about women."

Ellie rolled her eyes.

"I am not!" Jacob shook his head. "You've no idea what you're talking about."

She sank back against the wall of the cabin, tuning out part of the conversation.

I need to get to that island.

Jacob's laugh interrupted her thoughts. "You seriously think I'm stupid enough to fall for some two-bit criminal with the seduction skills of a frog?"

She narrowed her eyes.

"Of course, she's a criminal. She uses sex to get what she wants. I think I can handle her. I need you to meet us though if Meyer's heading there."

Seduction skills of a frog! Uses sex? He just called me a slut!

She tuned out the conversation, clenching her hands into fists.

So that's what he really thinks of me, is it? Son of a bitch!

By the time Jacob came out of the cabin, Ellie was taking her washing off the line and folding it up.

"Hey. We're going to be heading for land soon."

She turned to face him, still burning with anger. The words 'seduction skills of a frog' echoing through her mind.

His smile slid off his face when he noticed her expression. "Is, er, everything okay?"

She flashed a false smile. "Peachy," she said before turning her back to him.

"Okay..." He dragged out the word and then paused for a moment.

She could sense him standing behind her in silence, feeling his eyes burn into her back. She spun around. "What?"

"We're going to an uninhabited island, and I want you to stay on the boat," he said, glancing back at the distant shore.

She looked towards the bow of the boat. The shore was at least a couple of miles away, but she caught her first glimpse of Isla Precosia. It looked very small and very green from this distance.

"So will you stay here? It's for your own good."

She turned to face him, narrowing her eyes. "What are you going to do if I don't, cuff me to something?"

"I don't need to do anything. You plus jungle equals dead city girl. Just stay on the boat and do as you're told for once." Jacob scowled.

"Oh, you're ordering me around again. You're not the boss of me, and you have no effect on what I choose to do!" Anger burned through her body. He obviously thought she was some kind of lovesick female who would do his bidding. He could take his hot body and smoky eyes and shove them up his arse!

No one tells me what to do.

"What? Don't be stupid. You need to stay on the boat. The island is dangerous, especially for you."

She stormed towards him. "Oh, so now I'm stupid, too!" She poked her finger into his chest, backing him up against the railing of the boat.

"I never said you were stupid!" His jaw tensed, and the muscles in his neck clenched as his nostrils flared in anger.

"I am not staying on the boat," she said, slowly dragging out each word as she stepped closer and closer to him, pressing up against him. It took her a moment to realize they were touching. But when she did notice it, her body instantly responded to his nearness. Heat blossomed under her skin, and her eyes were drawn to his handsome face. She shook her head, getting more irritated by his allure than anything else.

"You need to stay here." His voice was deeper, more guttural as his hands rested on her shoulders, cupping them. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

No, no, no. He will not seduce me again.

She shook her head. "Where's Jimmy? If he's on that island, I'm going to find him."

His hands tightened on her shoulders, and he narrowed his eyes at her. "That's all you care about?" He shook his head and released her shoulders. "That fucking guy again..." he muttered. "Fine. You have no choice. You are not leaving this boat, or else—"

"Or else what?" she snapped. "You'll shoot me again?"

He widened his eyes, staring at her as if she was nuts. "What, are you fucking stupid?"

Anger burned through her veins, quickly replacing any feelings of lust.

If he calls me stupid one more time...

"Of all the stupi—"

He never had the chance to finish the sentence as she lunged at him, pushing him over the side of the boat in a fit of anger. She stared down in shock as he flipped over the side and dropped into the sparkling water below.

Oh God, what did I do?

She breathed a sigh of relief when he came up for air. He looked pissed off and extremely wet, but he appeared to be in good health otherwise. The boat was leaving him behind though as it chugged towards the shore on autopilot.

"What the fuck was that for?" He brushed back his dark hair and blinked water out of his eyes.

She glanced back at the bow, watching the shoreline get closer. He could swim it from here. She grinned at him. "I hope you can swim!" she called back to him.

"What? You can't just leave me here!" He bobbed in the water, staring at her with an expression of disbelief.

She knew that she really shouldn't leave him here without any kind of assistance. She lifted the bench on the stern and pulled out a lifejacket from the ottoman beneath it.

That'll do.

She threw the lifejacket at him, taking her best aim.

It flew across the gap between them, heading towards him.

"You can't just leav—" His words were cut short when the lifejacket slapped him in the face and he was knocked back under the surface.

Oh, shit!

She stared at the waves as her pulse raced and panic bubbled up in her stomach.

Where is he? Is he okay?

He burst through the surface of the water, gripping the lifejacket. Judging by the murderous look on his face, he was going to be fine.

She smiled as relief flooded through her.

He's okay.

"Sure I can!" she shouted back. "It's not as if there's anything stopping me." Okay, there was. She felt kind of guilty for throwing him off the boat.

He shot you. He cuffed you to a boat. You don't owe him anything.

A small voice in the back of her mind disagreed. He saved your life....

"Come back. Don't do this. Don't be stupid!" Jacob shouted. "Why are you so angry?

She scowled.

Stupid again!

"Seduction skills of a frog!" She shouted while putting her hands on her hips.

He was getting further away, bobbing in the water while holding onto the lifejacket.

She could barely hear his reply. "I didn't mean y..." was all she could make out before the sound of the engine cut off his words.

Ellie turned from the stern and shook her head.

I need to save Jimmy. Jacob can save himself. It's only a short swim, and by the time he gets there, I'll be long gone.

Making a firm decision that this was for the best, she hurried down to the cabin, taking her dry clothes with her. She snatched an empty duffle bag off a nearby hook. This time when she went into the jungle, she'd be prepared for anything.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 105 14
Rule #3 - The roses in the Infinity Gardens are strictly off limits. DO NOT PICK THE FLOWERS. Rumors as old as time Not true in the least But then a...
3.1M 93.1K 80
Gwendolyn was different. There was no doubt about it. She was told constantly by her friends that she had a body to die for. She was sarcastic and...
1.2M 55.6K 71
"You seriously thought that you will jump from the window and escape?" "Yes." "Tsk. Tsk. That's so sad, but I guess you didn't think that you'd land...
3.4M 91.2K 54
Julia Goldstone is a girl from a small town where nothing ever happens. She has no family and an abusive boyfriend who she can't escape. Reed Eastwoo...