Sweet Epiphany

By imperfectdreamer

Eighteen year-old Zach Curtis has lost everything: his girlfriend, his job and his scholarship. Nothing in th... More

Author's Note
Sweet Epiphany: Prologue
Chapter One: A Timid Introduction
Chapter Two: Like the Winter Snow
Chapter Three: Little Brown
Chapter Four, 1/2: Law of Attraction
Chapter Four, 2/2: Law of Attraction
Chapter Five: Glenworth Support Group
Chapter Six: The Fault in Her Stars
Chapter Seven: Speak of the Devil
Chapter Eight: Breaking her Shell
Chapter Nine: His Ghost
Chapter Ten: Mesmeric Blue
Chapter Eleven: Her Secret
Chapter Twelve: The Flyer Guy
Chapter Thirteen: His Butterfly
Chapter Fourteen: Blind
Chapter Fifteen: Improvements
Chapter Sixteen: Developments
Chapter Seventeen: The Night She Realized
Chapter Eighteen: Little Overthinker
Chapter Nineteen: Hostility in Disguise
Chapter Twenty: The Extraordinary Ordinary
Chapter Twenty-One: His Mistake
Chapter Twenty-Two: Not All Wounds Bleed
Chapter Twenty-Three: Patience
Chapter Twenty-Four: Two Seconds
Chapter Twenty-Five: Terra
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Aftermath, 1/2
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Karma, But Not Really
Chapter Twenty-Eight: More Than an Impulse
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Bittersweet
Chapter Thirty: Cupid's First Arrow
Chapter Thirty-One: Abby
Chapter Thirty-Two: Sunday Mornings
Chapter Thirty-Three: Spinning Bottles
Chapter Thirty-Four: Midnight
Chapter Thirty-Five: Closer
Chapter Thirty-Six: Luke
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Ambivalence
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Before the Storm
Chapter Thirty-Nine: His Apology
Chapter Forty: Zach
Chapter Forty-One: Okay
Chapter Forty-Two: The Aftermath, 2/2
Chapter Forty-Three: Recovery
Chapter Forty-Four: Serendipity
Chapter Forty-Five: Three in the Morning
Chapter Forty-Six: How to Love
Chapter Forty-Seven: Sweet Epiphany
A Message From Me To You
Credits and Extras

Sweet Epiphany: Epilogue

8.4K 640 187
By imperfectdreamer

At the age of eighteen, many will start to realize that the experiences in high school are barely scratching the surface of this tough game we call life. All the complain about extra homework and getting picked last during basketball suddenly sounds more like the least unfortunate thing that could ever happen.

That is still what I know to be true, except I now also believe that the best things in life awaits beyond that.

Daniel gathers everyone into a circle on the campus park where the warm sunlight shines above us. There aren't any club activities today, but when he releases a notice in the group stating that he has an announcement after class, none of us could say no to turning up.

We take our seats on the ground as Daniel glances at the small group, ensuring the attendance. Then he clasps his hands together, clearing his throat.

"Alright, so welcome back to another semester, guys." He starts informally, and that's when I know where this is going. Terra turns to me curiously and I brush my hand across hers. "You must all be wondering why I gathered you all here today."

None of us moves a muscle as we anticipate for him to drop the news.

"As some of you may know, and some of you may not, my time in Glenworth is just about done." He continues, wearing a smile. "When I started off the club about three years ago now, there were only three of us: me, Kelly and Kacey. Now that I think back, I honestly didn't really know what I was doing, and I was also doubtful if it was going to work. I was prepared to have the club removed in a semester, assuming that no one would turn up. Strangely enough, someone did, and that was Cody."

A few heads turn towards Cody and he grins.

"And then soon, Penelope came, and then Samuel, and before I know it, we had enough to be an official club." He says, then he gazes at us. "And on the first year we received the official title of GSG, Zach and Terra joined the family, and truthfully, the club has never been as productive before."

Daniel paces back and forth before he proceeds, hesitant, but prepared.

"It's been a great journey, and although we aren't huge like the basketball club or the Student Council, I'd like to believe that we did grow, and we were always growing on the inside." He gestures and a few people chuckle. It's cheesy, but genuine. "And now, I'd like to announce that as of today, I am stepping down as president."

"Really?" Samuel gapes.

"Yeah." Daniel nods, and I thought he is beginning to get a little emotional. "It's been such a great experience, I wouldn't trade anything in the world for the crazy times we spent together, especially those parties, am I right?"

The circle laughs while Samuel groans.

"And I don't mean for this to be a goodbye. I'll definitely drop by every now and then. It just means you won't hear me giving one of those boring speeches again to start off the club sessions." He jokes. "And so, today, I am officially passing the baton to Cody."

"Me?" Cody asks, the news catching him by surprise.

"We know you'll do a great job." Daniel says reassuringly.

Everyone starts clapping to express our approval towards Daniel's decision, and Cody looks around, now looking determined.

"I'll take it as a challenge." He grins, gesturing a salute to Daniel, accepting the role.

"Good." Daniel nods. "So that is pretty much all I've wanted to say. It's been one hell of a good year."

And I couldn't have agreed more.

Daniel is about to close his informal speech until he glances around, and then he asks, "Hey, where's Kelly and Kacey?"

"They were here just a minute ago." Penelope mentions.

Just then, I watch as something, a balloon, hits the back of his head, clear water exploding upon impact, gleaming in the orange sunlight like dew drops. That alone bought everyone's attention, including the bystanders who also surround the big field of lime green grass. Daniel turns around, confused, but with a massive smile stretching across his face, pointy as ever, just the way he does it.

"We're going to miss you!" Kelly shouts at the top of her lungs, running towards us with her sister, carrying a bucket full of water balloons. That's when I notice Samuel running too, and his hands aren't empty either. So this was planned all along.

Impulsively, I evacuate the area surrounding him, and that's when the balloons start flinging from all directions, most of them missing and hitting random innocent targets.

"What's happening?" Terra laughs, holding onto me as we spectate from a near distance.

"Is this some kind of party?" Abby approaches us with Luke next to her, her eyes brimming with excitement. The crowd of onlookers start to increase, and soon, they turn into participants. "I want in!"

And just like that, things start to spiral out of control. What was meant to be something for the support group quickly became a campus fiesta when more and more students throw themselves onto the field, pitching bombs at their friends who quickly return the favor. I watch as balloons continue to explode, one after another, soaking everyone in the sun as the rubbery remains land onto the soft grass, creating a canvas of colors.

And that's when a balloon hits me.

"And what are you doing just standing there?!" Daniel shouts, his shirt completely drenched. "As your president, I demand that you participate!"

Before I can reply him, I get hit by another one, and this time, it's Terra who is laughing.

"Oh, I see how it is." I nod at her slowly, and she sticks her tongue out playfully.

"Catch me if you can." She winks, retreating instantly.

She's my girlfriend, of course I have to catch her.

And now we are all on the field, T-shirts dripping with a head full of damp hair, crystal clear water bursting from every corner, glistening in the beaming sun that is beginning to set, gradually painting a palette of indigo across the sky. Shrieks and laughter fill the air as friends start tackling one another onto the ground, then Luke marches onto the battleground with a far greater weapon in his hands.

"Now you must fear me!" Luke exclaims like a maniac, gripping a hose that is splashing at full blast, easily flooding everyone within five meters. I don't even want to know where he got that from.

Terra squirms as she clings onto me, using me as a shield the second Luke nears us.

"HAHAHAHA!" he laughs evilly and my clothes are twice as heavy now. I would've said he had the last laugh, until his face gets hosed by someone else. I take a step back.

"HA!" Abby guffaws, and now there are two hoses on the field.

They proceed to attack each other, and from the corner of my eye, I can spot Ms. Montez marching towards the gathering crowd, but she doesn't stop us. Just like I'd expect, she simply folds her arms with a smile, leaning against a pillar as she watches her students go crazy.

"How did this happen?" Terra asks in between laughs.

"I don't know." I say, watching water drip from the tips of my damp hair.

Terra looks up at me, her brown hair covering half of her face. She doesn't say anything else. She simply gazes at me with a kind of look that only I can understand, and at that very moment, she is the only one I see.

I stroke the back of her head when she inches closer, and we share a quick kiss. Every time we do, it feels as if all my other senses malfunction. I don't even care that Ms. Montez is looking, although I might regret that tomorrow, but it's barely a small price to pay. We pull away, and then she speaks.

"I'm kind of glad that the sun is orange." She says.

"I can still see you're blushing." I point out and she giggles.

"That's because it's you." She smiles, oblivious to the people around us. "It's always been you."

And then I get soaked again.

"No PDAs on the battlefield!" Kelly shouts from a short distance away, and both Cody and Daniel start sprinting towards us with a bucket full of water.

"Uh-oh." Terra utters.

"Run." I say as I take her hand, and we do exactly just that.

We run, and although we get caught eventually, we run anyway. We collapse onto the ground with Cody desperately asking for more water and Daniel tripping on his own foot, ending up soaking himself by accident, causing Cody to lose his balance as he launches into uncontrollable laughter.

One year ago, if I had told myself that someday, I'd be a part of a support group full of friendly faces, that I'd be able to survive despite losing my scholarship, or even the fact that I'd be drenched in water on a field with a hundred of others throwing balloons at each other, I probably wouldn't have believed it.

One year ago, I wouldn't have imagined witnessing a hopeful sunrise or seeing myself gleaming under the twilight with the girl I love in my arms, surrounded by people who I now call friends. I wouldn't have imagined myself to be happy, but I am, I'm happy, and while nothing turned out to be like how I expected at all, I know that I'll be okay.

Everyone has that one turning point in life that hits like a storm. For me, it came at the age of eighteen.

I feel the cooling waters splash against the surface of my skin again, trickling down my face as I lock eyes with Terra. I hold onto her and I feel my heart beating in my chest, and that's how I know this is no longer just a dream. This is real. I've made it. I lived.

For the very first time, I laugh.

The End.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.2K 2.8K 52
"We all have dreams, Devon Parker!" --- Hadley Carter's life is a mess. That is, more of a mess tha...
1.2M 54.5K 76
At the end - š‘Æš’†š’‚š’“š’• š’˜š’‚š’š’•š’” š’˜š’‰š’‚š’• š’Šš’• š’˜š’‚š’š’•š’” ! Being married to only son of billionaire is like dream come true... ZAYDEN HA...
1K 197 26
"It's him Nat. I found him." I say holding her. I still can't believe it. ---------------------------- Reyhan Hearst. An eighteen year old, who faces...
93.2K 3.8K 45
Imagine having to go through something so horrifying that no one thought you could ever be the same. Then someone comes along to prove them wrong. F...