This is Glek

By varzanic

(Sequel to Beloved) Helix is at war, and they're loosing. Tobias is called to the front lines to lead his men... More

(Part 1) Chapter 1: Trouble
Chapter 2: Fashion Statement
Chapter 3: The Emperor's Banquet
Chapter 4: Counter Attack
Chapter 5: Suspicion
Chapter 6: A Scorned Pet
Chapter 7: War Declaration
Chapter 8: Valorous
Chapter 9: Will and Testament
Chapter 10: Gone
Chapter 11: Gift from God
Chapter 12: Taming the Devil's Pet
Chapter 13: Thanos
Chapter 14: Forget
(Part 2) Chapter 15: Saving Your Neck
Chapter 16: Mending Helix
Chapter 17: Unsynced
Chapter 18: The Devil's Return
Chapter 19: A Monster
Chapter 20: Worthy of a Reward
Chapter 21: Demons
Chapter 22: Mind Games
Chapter 23: One Shot
Chapter 24: Until You've Killed Someone
Chapter 25: Bits and Pieces
Chapter 26: Headaches
Chapter 28: Wake-Up Call
Chapter 29: The Final Beast
Chapter 30: One Must Die
Chapter 31: Underground
Chapter 32: To Hell with It
Chapter 33: Beloved

Chapter 27: Mountain Cat

5.9K 481 49
By varzanic

Marco sat down on the stool next to me.

"So what do you got for me?" I finished off my drink.

He passed over his tablet. I flipped through the next creature's information. It was a heavily armored, long-horned goat.

"Really?" I tossed it onto the counter. "What the hell is this?"

"You can't simply shoot this one," said Marco. "I think that's why Eadwyn had it brought in."

"Yeah, you can." I enlarged the image. "Right here at the neck and shoulder joints, and again here at the elbows and knees. You just have to be a good shot. So for me, this is pointless."

Marco shrugged. "I don't choose the creatures, Tobias."

I held my newly poured glass to my lips. "Yeah, you'd have me fighting rabbits and baby deer." I downed half of it. Setting it on the counter, I wiped my mouth. "I'm your ticket out of here without Helix sending you to the firing squad."

"Well, if the overlord asks for suggests, I'll see if I can work in rabbits and baby deer into the schedule."

Shaking my head, I chuckled. "I don't understand this." I skimmed through the information again. "This is going backward. Eadwyn knows that. I'll have this thing down before it even leaves the tunnel."

He shrugged and motioned to the bartender. "It's what they flew in. I saw the beast this morning. It rammed two men and send them to the hospital, so it is a little dangerous."

"Yeah, to an idiot," I scoffed. I tapped my finger on the goat's head. "What other creatures live in this area?"

"Um... let me see." He took the tablet and started opening different files. Marco started flipping through them. "Do any of these look interesting?"

I shook my head. "Lookup predators."

He did so. A couple bear mutations showed up.

"There." I tapped the image.

A photo of a horned mountain cat filled the screen. Spikes ran down its spine, and its fangs hung down low beneath his muzzle.

"That's my bet."

Marco shook his head. "These are basically extinct."

"Well, our ex-prince has bought himself one."

He shook his head. "I don't think so. Maybe one of these." Marco went back to the image of a bear with huge curved claws.

"I have a gun that can cut through all the fur. One shot and it would be dead." I went back to the armed cat. "This animal's hide absorbed wounds. I'd shoot it, and the bullet would be pushed out of the entry point and seal in a matter of seconds. A gun is worthless."

"Oh." He sucked in his lips. "Yeah, I think he might have bought himself one of these."

"That's not the problem."

Marco glanced at me.

"Stay away from the palace. I think he's onto you." I stood and waved at the bartender.

The man gave me one in return and a huge smile. Unlike before I arrived, his bar was completely full. It made me feel slightly better about drinking for free, though I wouldn't pay even if no one showed up.

"Tobias," called Marco after me.

Stopping, I glanced back.

"How will you kill it?"

I shrugged. "I'll figure out something. I always do."

Going to the elevator, I stepped inside and went to my floor. I really hoped a beautiful boy with silky black hair was waiting. But if not, I'd have tomorrow night to start making that boy remember something more than the way I touch him.

***

Raja hadn't shown up last night, and it pissed me off. I could have kept drinking a little longer, but then again, having a hangover during a fight would make things a little difficult. I wanted my boy back and to get the hell out of this place, but he was being so stubborn. I flopped back on the bed. Raja hadn't changed at all. It would always be a constant fight with him.

A knock sounded on the door. "Tobias," called Marco.

"What?" I breathed.

"We need to head to the arena soon."

"Fine, I'll be downstairs in a minute."

My tablet chimed. I turned over and reached into the drawer where I kept it. A message was Charlie. I clicked on it.

Get your ass back here now. Eric is making a mess of things. Without you, it's like he forgot everything. He was doing a shitty job before, but this is horrible.

I did a quick estimate in my head. It had been eight weeks here, so what the hell did Eric do in a few hours that messed things up so bad. Even he should be capable of handling things for three days. It wasn't like I left him without any help.

"Good god, Eric," I muttered.

I typed a reply.

Raja is being difficult. As usual. He's alive, though, so Eric will get to keep his pet. You can inform him of that.

Eadwyn installed a block in my boy's head. Yes, that fucktard, who started this whole thing. I'm working on breaking through it enough to convince Raja to come with me. I'm almost there. Give me a couple more weeks, and I'll have him won over.

Eric can make it through two more days. He not that horrible of an emperor. His father was worse. Be patient, and I'll be back in a bit.

I pressed send. Who knows how long that would take to get back to him. I might even beat it. Tossing the tablet away, I grabbed my bag and left the room.

Marco was waiting by the elevator. "So what's the plan?"

Pressing the call button, I watched the lights above the door. "I don't know. I'll just make it up as I go."

***

I sat in the holding room with my feet rest on the arm of the couch. These events were getting to be more extravagant, and it was taking longer to get to the fight. It probably was because I took ten seconds to kill the beast, and some of these people paid good money for their seats. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. I would have Raja all night long. Adjusting myself, I quickly changed my thought process.

"My lord," said a girl from the doorway.

I swung my legs around and stood.

"It's nearly your turn."

"Sounds good." I picked up my bag and dropped it on the table. After checking my gun, I tucked it into my belt. I took out a collapsible spear and extended it. I pressed a button, and a blade shot out of one side. Bring it down hard, I sliced through the back of the couch.

The girl jumped, covering her mouth to muffle a scream.

I think this would work rather well. Zipping up my bag, I tossed it in the corner and went into the hall. The girl trailed behind me. I stood outside the arena as she did the regular speak. I know it all. Until one was dead the doors wouldn't be open.

Shifting of the ground sounded from the other side. The last act was over. I waited a bit longer for the arena to be set up before the doors opened. The crowd erupted when I walked out into the sun and waved, making sure to smile up at his royal pain in the ass. He looked confident this week. It had to be that stupid horned mountain cat. A goat wouldn't make him seem so proud of himself. I gripped the handle of my spear.

Eadwyn stood and walked to the front of his box. "Welcome again, Tobias."

The audience died down, but excitement still emulated from them.

"As usual, a fight to the death await you and the beast trapped beneath my feet. Win and your reward will be a night with our dear Raja."

He motioned to my pet who sat up. Around his neck was the present I gave him. The diamond looked beautiful on him. The general knew his jewerly.

"Release it!" The overlord waved his arm, and the thick stone doors started to part.

I extended my spear as I caught a glimpse of it spiked tail flick back and forth. I knew it, so predictable. The beast charged. I jumped to the side and took a swing at it. The cat dodged my attack and hissed at me as it paced the arena.

"Here kitty, kitty," I whispered.

It growled and swiped a paw at me.

"What an ugly cat." I cocked back the spear and hurled it at the animal.

It leaped forward, but the tip sliced its back leg. It let out a horrific sound and ran straight for me.

"Shit." I took out my gun and fire a couple rounds straight at its face.

I moved out of the way at the last second as it charged blindly. The cat whipped its tail. The spikes sliced into my arm. The crowd gasped. Cursing under my breath, I raced to get my spear. The beast was pawing at its muzzle as the bullets were pushed out.

I had enough. It drew blood, so now it had to end. I put my gun away and held the spear with both hands. I pressed the button on the side, and the blade popped out.

"Come here, you fucking cat."

It raced at me with its teeth and claws bared. It swung around trying to whip me with its tail. It met my blade instead, and I cut it off right at the hilt. The animal screamed. It rattled my ears, and I was already thoroughly pissed at the damn animal. I walked over and drove the spear straight through its head to shut the damn thing up.

The noise stopped as well as the cat's thrashing. The crowd erupted with applause, rising to their feet. I spun in a circle waving my arms to tell them to yell louder. Eadwyn's trick didn't work, and I wanted him to hear it. Yanking my spear free, I faced the overlord. I gave him a half-hearted bow. His expression remained blank. Rising from his seat, he quickly left with Nyko following.

Raja stood and walked to the front. He smiled and pressed his hand to the necklace. I winked, before throwing the spear. The boy gasped and jumped when it hit the platform and was embedded in the side. I scaled the wall and grabbed the spear to pull myself higher.

He was taken back when I sat down on the railing. The boy wrung his hands together, staring at the blood dripping from the cuts on my arm.

"Your hurt."

"Flesh wounds." I grabbed his chin, and with the crowd cheering me on, I kissed him hard.

Raja tried to escape, but I snatched his wrist and put my other arm around his waist. I deepened the kiss, and he eventually accepted it.

I pulled back. "I'll see you tonight."

He nodded, blinking at me with a confused expression.

Reaching over the side, I ripped out my spear before jumping down. I gave the people a final bow before leaving the arena.

That one had been a bit more of a challenge, but it was damn worth that kiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.9K 958 24
It's been two years since Uriel died and Ariel now lives alone on a far away land away from his past. He lives in constant pain of his lost mate till...
384K 10K 18
A Prince kidnapped from his Kingdom to be the slave of the soon-to-be King of the rival kingdom. Collin is feisty and non-compliant, and Phyias is lo...
9.9K 300 1
With insecurities brewing under his skin, Alex makes some decisions that could lead to devastation. Will he be strong enough to keep Adam at his side...
39.5K 3K 49
General Sevei is of the firm opinion that Nobles are shady and Alchemists even shadier. Noble Alchemists are the absolute worst. He is not looking fo...