Unbecoming Humans

By BeeKienitz

This is the completely rewritten second edition of Unbecoming Humans. It's bigger, it's gayer, it's everythin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue

Chapter 20

9.5K 472 306
By BeeKienitz

Content warning: This chapter contains mild adult themes.

After lunch, we returned to the tennis courts again. I was still enraged that Nima had thrown our match. We could have ended this whole silly charade, but instead we practically had to start over. Fortunately, I had anger on my side. I would harness it to plow through these matches like a wildfire through a dead forest.

Since I had already defeated Nima, she was free to rest, so long as I didn't lose. Kate brought her a foot stool and some ice for her ankle. Nima removed her shoe and applied the ice pack. She sat back in her chair and looked completely relaxed and content to watch the rest of the tournament.

Blake would be my first competitor. As he took the court, I ground my teeth, and then stopped myself. I had to focus, if I was going to power through this quickly. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply a few times to channel my rage into a sort of mental serenity. When I opened my eyes again, everything but Blake and the court had melted away. I was ready.

Like Nima, I had decided to serve first for every set, so that I could easily clinch the first two points. After only half an hour, I defeated Blake, and moved on to Justine. She was eager for a shot at redemption, and a second shot at the title, but her hunger for power paled in comparison to my anger and growing impatience for this tournament. It took no more time for me to decimate her than it had for me to defeat Blake. She walked off the court in tears.

After that, I hardly paid attention to who was on the other side of the court or what was happening around us. I simply hammered on the ball again and again with deadly accuracy, until there was no one left, and the other side of the court remained empty. After hours of play, I finally looked around to see what was keeping my next opponent from the court. Instead, I saw my mother rise from her chair and glide over to me.

"Congratulations, my daughter," she said in a magnanimous voice, shaking my hand. I raised my eyebrows at her. I could not remember the last time she had called me daughter. "You have reclaimed the title of queen. Long live the queen!" she bellowed, turning us to face the other residents, and raising my hand like I was a boxer in the ring.

"Long live the queen," the others murmured with varying levels of enthusiasm. I saw that Justine was still crying. Nima, on the other hand, was beaming. This had been her plan all along. I narrowed my eyes at her, but she didn't seem to notice. The end of the tournament felt a bit anticlimactic, and I awkwardly walked over to sit down next to Nima.

"Well done," she said with a friendly smile, patting me gently on the back of my shoulder.

"It should have been yours," I said broodingly.

"Well, it's not," she replied dismissively.

"How does it feel?" I changed the subject, pointing to her ankle.

"It hurts, but it's getting better. This quick healing business is pretty great. I bet I'll be right as rain by morning."

"Maybe," I mumbled. "But you should still take it easy for a few days."

"Yes, Doctor Grumpy, sir," she teased with a mock salute.

"Whatever," I said standing up. "Let's go get ready for dinner." I helped her up out of her chair and back to the compound. We said nothing more on our way inside or in the lineup on the way to dinner. When I had finished my meal, I excused myself and returned to my room without another word to anyone.

The next morning, I had calmed down considerably, but I was still a little peeved as I went out alone for my run. I felt guilty for the way I had treated Nima, and I wanted to make it up to her. But, I was also embarrassed by my behavior. I wasn't sure what I could say to make it right, so I continued to avoid her throughout the day. To that end, I chose to spend my day in the depths of the library, hoping that no one would come looking for me.

I ignored the lunch bell and stayed sequestered. I didn't feel particularly sociable or hungry. It was rare that they allowed us to skip meals without a good reason. I waited for someone to come looking for me, but after 20 minutes, I was certain I was in the clear. I kept reading.

When the bell rang for dinner, I decided it was best if I joined the others. They certainly wouldn't let me skip out on two meals in one day, unless I was mortally ill. I gathered up the books I was reading and took them back to my room to continue reading later. As I took my place in line, Nima was already in hers.

"Where have you been?!" she whispered to me urgently.

"No talking!" Zan barked from the front. He was glowering at Nima "Let's move!" I rolled my eyes at him, even though he wouldn't see. I hated being treated like I was in boot camp.

After dinner, I loitered in the halls, wanting to talk to someone, but not knowing to whom or what I would say. Unfortunately, the first person I came across was Justine.

"Oh. Hey there, your majesty," she greeted me with disdain. "Forgive me if I don't bow. I know you didn't earn that title. It's only matter of time before the truth comes to light."

"I don't need your approval or your niceties, Justine. It's over. Let it go."

"We shall see," she said menacingly, as she walked away.

I leaned against the wall, taking some time to think. I was standing alone in one of the hallways between the dining room and the residence hallway. It was quiet, so it wasn't difficult to hear when someone approached. I looked up as they rounded the corner from the dining room. My eyes took in her dark features, and I felt instantly relieved and nervous at once.

"Hey." I greeted her nonchalantly. She looked taken aback.

"You go on a rampage, then you disappear for an entire day, and all you have to say is 'hey'?" Nima said incredulously.

"Nima, I'm really sorry. I just-"

"Good evening, ladies," Blake said innocently, as he came strolling around the corner from the direction of the dining room.

"Oh. Hi, Blake," I replied, feeling uncomfortable. I wished he would just keep walking.

"Good evening, Blake," Nima said too politely.

"It's study time, you know," Blake sounded a little pompous. "Best get to it before someone less friendly catches you out here."

"Of course, Blake. Thank you," I replied, dismissing him with a curt nod. He departed with a short "good night." Nima watched him thoughtfully all the way down the hallway. After she was certain he was gone, she spoke.

"Not much privacy to be had in this place, is there?" I shook my head no, but then a thought occurred to me.

"Come with me," I said, grabbing her hand and pulling her down the hallway. Rather than ask where we were going, she went silently along with me. We found our way into an out-of-the-way hallway, and stopped in front of an unassuming door.

"I've never noticed this door before," Nima said with mild wonderment.

"Curiosity doesn't always pay off in this place, but this time it will," I told her, as I fiddled with the keypad that secured the door. I punched in a few numbers, then I heard the telltale click of the door unlocking. I ushered Nima through the doorway, and closed it behind us.

We were in a musty concrete stairwell leading up. I took Nima's hand, and lead her upward.

"What is this? she asked, sounding skeptical as she surveyed our surroundings.

"You'll see," I said unhelpfully, a mischievous grin finding its way to my lips. "How is your ankle?" I changed the subject conspicuously.

"Much better," Nima replied. "Not 100% yet, but it should be within a day or two."

"There are a few advantages to being a superhuman freak," I joked. Nima squeezed my hand.

"You're not a freak," she said seriously. I looked at her doubtfully, but said nothing. After several, switchback flights of stairs, we reached another door. It was not locked from this side, and I pushed through it. We both blinked as we were greeted by the bright sunset.

"Is this the roof?" Nima asked with surprise.

"Mhmm," I hummed, smiling with pride at my brilliant idea.

"And no one will bother us up here?"

"As long as we don't spend too much time," I said, rocking on my feet a few times.

"Wow! This is great!" Nima exclaimed, walking over to the edge of the roof to get a better view. I moved to join her. The edge was a short, brick wall that was the perfect height for leaning on. I let her take in the bird's eye view of the yard in silence.

"How long have you known about this," Nima asked, breaking the long silence. I shrugged.

"Since Róisín. We would come up here every once in awhile. After she was gone, I came here a lot to act out my heartbreak and teenage angst." I said it jokingly, but it was true. Nima gave me a courtesy laugh.

"Why did you throw the match?" I changed the subject abruptly. It was the question that had been eating away at me for over 24 hours.

"What?" she sounded startled by my sudden topic change.

"You've beaten me in every other tennis match this week. It was an easy win. Why didn't you just take it?"

"Oh," she looked down at a chipped piece of brick that she was picking at. "I don't want to lead those kids, Aria, and I certainly don't deserve to. You have all been together your whole lives. You have been bred and taught to lead from the beginning. You have had time to grow together as a group, and I'm just the newbie outsider with nothing to offer." I placed my hand on top of hers to stop her fidgeting, and used my other hand to gently turn her face toward mine so I could look her in the eye.

"Don't you ever think that," I said sternly. "You are incredible. This place, and we freaks who live in it, don't deserve you. But I, for one, am so glad that you are here."

She picked up my hand in both of hers and turned it over to study my palm. She traced the etched lines with her fingers, and I shuddered at her touch. Before I could react, her hands were on either side of my face, and her lips were pressed against mine.

There was nothing timid about the way she was kissing me. It took me completely by surprise, which only made it all the more pleasing. Once my brain caught up to what was happening, I responded by deepening the kiss. I let myself drown in the warmth of her skin, and the sweet taste of her lips. The world could have gone up in flames around us, and I never would have noticed. Too soon, she broke the kiss, and pulled away. She was smiling contentedly as she surveyed my expression, which was no doubt dumbfounded.

"Please, don't ever call yourself a freak," she said softly, stroking my cheek. "You are perfect in every way."

"Anything for you, princess," I teased her seductively, before pulling her in for another kiss.

I wrapped my arms around the back of her neck, feeling that no matter how close we were, it would never be close enough. She backed me up against a nearby wall, pinning me there with her solid body.

As our kiss grew more passionate, our hands longed to wander to unexplored territory. I gripped her strong biceps, as her hands slipped beneath the hem of my shirt. I gasped as she raked her fingernails down my toned abdomen.

"Well, well, well," a voice echoed from the direction of the door to the stairwell. Nima and I froze and our gazes snapped to the direction of the intruder. It was Justine...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 17.4K 83
There's no reason. No explanation. No scientific function, for what is about to happen. No one knows who, or when or where or why. But it's going to...
6K 478 33
COMPLETE TRILOGY 🏆Wattys Award book 1 in portuguese version. Governing Idea: We will become them and then, they will become us. Trilogy story inspir...
Alien X By Mandi_Pie

Science Fiction

69K 2.2K 29
Under extreme updating __________ Arina lives in a different world. A world owned by aliens, but not the ones you know. They’re human, except for sil...
4.3K 114 5
TW • Contains of Abuse, Torture, Abduction, Trauma, Blood, Bruising, Gaslighting, Manipulation, Possessive, Sadism, Bondage, Unethical human experime...