Asher's Heart

By rhxpsodicxlly

Unlike everyone else, Ellie Anderson thought she had it easy in high school. Except for the first year. It su... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Epilogue
Acknowledgments | Character Interview
Update
Extra #1
Extra #2
Cast

Chapter 24

38.8K 1.7K 363
By rhxpsodicxlly

A/N- This is the first draft so I go back and change some things now and then. Not big things, just small details. In chapter 21 I mentioned that Ellie couldn't swim. I changed that. Ellie knows the basics. She is just afraid of going underwater. I hope there won't be any confusion regarding that in this chapter. 😊
I hope you like it and happy reading!
-K

****

A sudden realization made the ground shift from beneath me. I was developing feelings for him. I was falling for Asher. That couldn't happen. That was impossible. He was Asher for God's sake. I could give thousands of reasons why it was a bad idea. Thousands more why it wouldn't work out.

But the jealousy that ran through me at seeing him with the blondie said otherwise. I have never felt this way before. Not even when someone took the last pair of shoes I wanted so bad. Or when I saw my ex with some other girl.

This had to stop. I had to stop feeling this way. I could only imagine how this would end if I didn't stop here. Asher would only break my heart and he would probably enjoy himself while doing so.

I am so screwed.

I backed out the door before they could see me. I would most likely stay in my room for today. No, probably for the rest of my stay here.

But they spotted me.

"Who is she?" the blondie asked raising her eyebrow at Asher. She didn't sound bitchy. More like she was teasing him.

Then a smirk took over her face and at that moment she seemed familiar. I racked my brain to find where I had seen her.

"Is she-" she started when Asher chucked a cushion at her.

"She is Ellie. She is staying with us," Asher explained quickly.

Then he turned to me.

"Anderson, this is Poppy," he said.

Poppy?

Poppy.

I'd heard that name before. I'd probably met her too but it was so long ago I didn't remember.

She was Poppy McArdle. Their cousin. That smirk seemed familiar because Asher has the same smirk. Now, I felt stupid.

"Hey," I said lamely.

She came around the couch where I was standing. She was wearing ripped jeans, white tank top and a shirt over it with buttons undone. Her left wrist was covered with charm bracelets.

Her appearance, her walk, everything about her screamed confidence. She seemed like a girl who naturally intimidated everyone around her.

She didn't say anything to me. She just eyed me but her face didn't give a hint of what she was thinking.

"I am going to the pool. Come over after you're finished with your breakfast," she said. She was looking at me but it was certain who she was talking to. Then she went out the door.

I still couldn't decide if I liked her or not.

Okay.

What do I do now?

I was alone with Asher. I would have to pay extra attention so I don't do anything stupid. Like stare at him or worse. Kiss him. My mind told me none was a bad idea.

He said something and I looked up. He was standing beside me.

"Huh?"

"Food? Eat," he said, motioning his fingers towards his mouth. What did he think I was?

I scowled at him and walked to the kitchen.

I guess it wouldn't be that difficult if he kept this up. It was hard to crush on someone who made your blood boil every time he opened his mouth.

He brought out two big bowls and put them on the counter. I sat on the stool and shifted one towards me.

He opened the cabinets.

"Cookie Crisp or Fruity Pebbles?" he asked.

"Cookie Crisp!" I said. They were my favorite.

He took both out. I took Cookie Crisp and he filled his bowl with both of them.

Ew. I gave him a disgusted look.

"What? It's delicious. Try it," he said.

"No thanks. I'll stick with one at a time," I said.

Then he poured milk in both of our bowls and slid in the stool beside me.

Have I told you about boys eating like pigs? Well, I was talking about every one of them. He finished his cereal before I could even eat half of mine.

He had a satisfied smile on his face after finishing his cereal.

"Poppy. When did she come?" I asked. I was curious. She appeared out of nowhere.

He washed his bowl and turned to me.

"Just an hour ago," he said and leaned on the counter across me.

I ate in silence. I didn't know what to say. Should I even bring up yesterday? Why wasn't he bringing it up? Would he act like nothing happened?

I was totally fine with that. We could act like that. It was probably better if we acted like that.

But what about his nightmare? I was sure it wasn't the first time. In fact, I was pretty sure it was the reason why he avoided sleeping.

It looked pretty bad yesterday.

"You done eating air?" he asked.

I gave him a confused look. He gestured to my bowl. And sure enough, it was empty. Who knew how many times I brought empty spoon to my mouth. My cheeks turned red in embarrassment.

He took my bowl, an amused smirk gracing his lips as he turned toward the sink.

"You okay?" I asked to his back.

"Why wouldn't I be?" he said casually as he washed my bowl.

"You had a bad dream last night," I said. There, I said it.

He tensed for only a moment, but I caught it.

"Really? It's good that I don't remember it then," he waved it off.

It was obvious he was trying to avoid it.

"It looked pretty bad. Want to talk about it?" I offered.

"Let's go outside," he said, drying his hands and totally ignoring me.

"Asher," I warned.

He sighed in defeat.

"There is nothing to talk. Everyone get nightmares once in a while. I did too. It's no big deal," he said.

"Seemed like it to me," I muttered under my breath, but he heard me. I thought he would say something about it, but he thought better of it. Clearly, he didn't want to have this conversation.

"You know, you can talk to me," I ventured.

"Stop trying to play the therapist, Anderson," he said.

Now I was angry.

"I'm not trying to play anything! You are the one who loves playing games. Not me," I retorted.

He stared at me hard, not saying anything.

I sighed.

This conversation wasn't going anywhere. He wasn't gonna tell me anything and I was just wasting my time. So, I went to the backyard. They had a pool there, where I had nearly drowned not long ago.

I sat on the edge of the pool with my legs dangling. I was wearing shorts and a tank top. The water was warm and I closed my eyes to soak up the sun.

I then remembered Poppy saying she would be here. I looked around and found her sleeping in one of the deck chairs. She must be tired if she drove here alone. Why did she show up here out of the blue? I bet she had school too. It was Saturday but still. It was a three hour drive from where she lived. She must have left pretty early. Maybe she came for the weekend.

Asher sat beside me. He had changed into his swimming trunks. Suddenly, I felt paranoid and scooted away. He could easily push me into the water and I wouldn't be able to do anything.

He seemed to catch on my thoughts and shook his head slightly in amusement.

"Don't worry. I won't do that again," he said.

I relaxed a bit but not completely. You never knew anything for sure with him.

"Ever thought of overcoming your fear?" he asked.

I looked at him. His eyes were closed and he seemed relaxed.

"No. Yes. Sometimes," I answered.

He opened his one eye to looked at me and his lip tugged up.

Uh oh.

I doubted I would enjoy what was going on in his head.

He clasped my hand and said, "On the count of three." His eyes were shining with excitement.

I tried to pull my hand away.

"What? No!"

"One," he said.

"I can't! Let me go," I said.

"Nothing will happen. Two," he said.

"Don't do this! You promised," I pleaded. I was surprised Poppy was sleeping through all my yelling.

"I didn't. Just take a deep breath and when we go down open your eyes. Three," he said.

I didn't get a chance to say anything else as he jumped and pulled me under with him.

My heart was pounding so hard I was afraid it would blast. My feet touched the bottom of the pool and my eyes were closed. Soon I would start gasping for breath and then water would enter my lungs and I would die. I was still clutching Asher's hand. Just let me get out of here then I will show him real hell.

He freed his hand and I got more panicked.

Then I felt hands cupping my face. They prodded my eyes open. The water was clear and I could see Asher float in front of me. He grinned crookedly. I tried to swim upwards but his hands went around my waist and he shook his head. I was sure my face showed my panic.

What was he trying to do? I wouldn't be able to hold my breath for long.

He let go of me and raised his hand, palm up in front of me. I raised my brows in question.

He gestured toward it so I put my palm against it. His hand was cold. They were always cold.

He entwined our fingers and a smile broke out on my face in spite of everything. He did the same with the other hand. My heart was pounding for an entirely different reason now.

Then he started to lean in. He was going to kiss me!

Under water!

That would have been one of the best kisses of my life if I didn't run out of oxygen. I started to choke on water. Asher's eyes widened and he took me in his arms and swam upwards.

I sputtered as sat on the edge of the pool again. He rubbed my back until I was breathing normally.

"Wasn't so bad, was it?" he said.

Was he serious?

I nearly drowned twice this week and he was saying it wasn't bad?

He had lost his mind. Oh wait! There needed to be one for it to happen. That mindless creature.

He sat in front of me. His hair was dripping and it wasn't the only thing that was dripping. Tiny drops of water ran down his face and his bare chest.

Before I wanted to punch him. Now, I wanted to kiss him and punch him.

I shook my head to throw that thought out. It wasn't going to happen. Was he really going to kiss me before? Or did my imagination just get wild?

The way he was acting now, all casual, it seemed that was just a product of my imagination.

Great!

Now, I was imagining it too.

"I'll get Roxie to bite you," I said. Roxie was his dog and was MIA at that moment.

He scoffed.

"She is loyal. She would never do that," he said. His hair fell over his eyes and I reached out to push it back.

Our eyes met and I realized what I had done. It was a sign of affection and he saw it too. Remember the thing about paying attention? I wasn't paying attention. I let my hand drop and averted my eyes.

One reason Asher never stopped playing pranks on me, no matter how many times I stopped talking to him after, was that he knew I would come around. That I would forgive him. Always.

And I knew that too.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 123 22
(Story under Heavy editing) ************* April Anderson just wanted one thing, to get through high school without any drama, but What happens when...
The Bet By Angela

Teen Fiction

151K 3.8K 33
Who could ever think that because of a football game you could find true love? Well Jason Parker wouldn't. He is the schools hottie, captain of the s...
1.2K 36 22
"Dear Crush, I exist... and trust me or not, but no one else in this whole world can love you the way I do..." He fell in love for the first time in...
65.3K 2.3K 31
Kate has finally reached her senior year, the last year of high school life. She was looking forward to it because this is the year where everything...