The Oracle of Tartarus [malex...

By rotXinXpieces

[Book 3] Zelios is the silent one, the mature one. He's never asked for a thing in life... until Persephone g... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Thirteen

67.2K 4.1K 2.4K
By rotXinXpieces

Chapter Thirteen

The meeting was longer than usual and it was mostly arguing.

I loved my brothers, sometimes, but most of the time, I wondered why Hades didn't curse them to keep their mouths shut. They were like a band of ADHD teenagers that would much rather see the world destroyed than having to work at saving it. It'd been three hours of constant shouting and cursing as we tried to come up with the name of the traitor that we were seeking out. I wasn't able to speak, so Noe was speaking on my behalf, but even he wasn't sure what I wanted and could barely get a word in with my brothers swearing at each other.

"Now you're just being stupid," Cain snapped at Cerberus impatiently, "Why the hell would Adrian be the traitor if he was the one who started this whole thing?" Cerberus threw his hands up, exasperated.

"I dunno! All our problems started the moment he got here, and he is half-Titan, or is everyone conveniently forgetting that?" He demanded, sobering up from his drunken mess that had him giggling for a while and now he was tempermental and hungover. Adrian pinned Cerberus with a withering stare.

"Yeah, sorry. I planned to sort of cannonball in, but I tripped." He replied with enough ice in his voice to freeze over the desert. I was mildly surprised by his comment. It seemed the longer Adrian stayed here, the more confident and outspoken he became. Cerberus didn't look too pleased.

"Yeah, well, this would've been much easier if Zelios had just done his job and killed you." He answered dryly. Adrian didn't have a chance to defend himself because Malachi's eyes flamed with anger and he threw his hand out, sending Cerberus slamming back into the nearest wall. Leon winced, but didn't run to him. No, Leon just walked over and got on his hunches beside Cerberus, who groaned and clutched at his head.

"You were kind of asking for that, Scooby." He commented pitilessly. Cerberus shot him a dirty look and got to his feet as Adrian sighed, obviously frustrated as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Look, let's go over this again. Noe, can you tell us everything that happened to you the day before your powers started to take over? Before you became an oracle?" He asked as politely as he could. Noe frowned before sighed wearily. He began to explain everything from the moment he left Tartarus to his trip to Styx, then back. He went through every person he'd come in contact with, but a frown began to work itself onto my face.

We had already gone through this. It wasn't anything knew. We couldn't figure it out and we'd already sent Abel in to talk to each of the people, but he reported that none of them were suspicious and had no connections to the Titans.

And yet, I felt like we were over looking something. Something extremely important.

"So, you're trying to say Hannibal is the traitor?" Cain demanded once Noe had finished speaking. Noe's cheeks flushed, but he didn't deny the claim. Hannibal didn't react. Just stood there, arms folded over his chest, eyes cutting a path across the room at Noe, who met his eyes. They stared at each other for the longest time and it was almost like they were having a conversation that the rest of us couldn't hear.

"Well," Noe spoke at last, still not breaking eye contact with Hannibal, "He was adopted by Titans, wasn't he? Which Titans?" Cain glared at him, his blue eyes sharpening.

"Iapetus and Clymene. And just so you know, it wasn't a big happy loving family." He responded heatedly, making Hannibal frown slowly as he finally broke eye contact with Noe to look at his master. The look on Hannibal's face said he did not want it to be discussed, but we had no choice if we were going to figure out who the traitor was, and honestly, right now? My sights were set on Hannibal, despite the nagging at the back of my mind.

"Iapetus and Clymene," Malachi echoed, "They also had four sons of their own, didn't they? Well, four pure gods." Cain nodded, glancing at Malachi sideways as he folded his arms over his chest.

"Prometheus, Epimetheus, Atlas, and Menoetius. Prometheus is out there somewhere on the loose, Epimetheus is back in his cell, Atlas is holding up the heavens, and Menoetius was killed by Zeus, who absorbed his powers upon his death." He explained matter-of-factly. Noe shrugged, still eyeing Hannibal suspiciously.

"Yeah, but he knew Epimetheus and Prometheus. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have a little problem with them not too long ago?" He asked dryly. Theo seemed to consider this. Cain glared at Noe now, looking about ten seconds away from attacking him, but I cleared my throat and he shot me a dirty look. Cain opened his mouth to defend Hannibal again, but Hannibal shook his head, waving his hand for Cain to shut up. Cain pinned him with a spinechilling glare, but Hannibal ignored it to stare intensely at Noe, who stared back at him.

Without a word, Hannibal reached up and undid the buckles on his coat. Everyone shared quick, curious stares. Hannibal never took his jacket off, and the rest of us weren't even sure we wanted to know why. There really wasn't a choice, though, as Hannibal dropped his jacket to reveal tight leather pants and a sleeveless black turtleneck. But even with that on, you could make out the deep withered scars on his pale skin. They were like deep indents in his skin, puckered and criss-crossing all up his arms. He lifted his shirt over his head and dropped it to the floor to show the deep, terrifying scar that cut down the front of his chest, as if someone had tried to rip him open.

Abel sucked in a sharp breath and reached up to rub his own chest. I knew very well Abel held the same sort of scar on his own chest, only Cain had been the one to give it to him the second time he'd killed him.

Hannibal then reached up to brush the hair back from his face. A forked scar cut down the center of his eye, which was an eerie milky white color, but judging from the way he kept eye contact with Noe, he could still see through it. One of the forks in the scar dipped sharply to the side into the corner of his mouth.

"You didn't have to do that." Cain said past gritted teeth. Hannibal inclined his head as an apology before he turned back to Noe, who narrowed his eyes. While the scars were plenty to convince us that obviously Hannibal would rather cut his own tongue than save the Titans, Noe still didn't look convinced.

"Is there a back story to that?" Noe pressed. I stared at him, surprised by how far he was pushing. You don't just ask someone that, Noe, I wanted to tell him, but he ignored me as he stared intently at Hannibal, who continued to give him a blank stare.

"Yeah. My family liked hugs." Hannibal responded sarcastically. Cerberus snickered and Cain just rolled his eyes. Noe scowled.

"Obviously. What? Were you guys hugging during a Freddy Krueger reenactment?" He demanded, making me glare at him now. I reached out and took Noe roughly by the arm, giving him a sharp pull that indicated he stop speaking. He instantly looked ashamed and dropped his eyes. Cain turned to Hannibal, curling his lip.

"Put your damn clothes on before I get sick. Jeez, you're gross." He snapped. Without flinching at Cain's comment, Hannibal picked up his shirt and returned it to his body, then flung his coat over his shoulders before sliding it on, buckling it all the way up again, looking down so that his hair fell over half of his face again. There was a short, awkward silence after that before Malachi decided to speak.

"So it's not Hannibal. Agreed?" He asked. Everyone nodded, except Noe.

"Noe." Malachi warned, but Noe scowled.

"I just hate him." He responded dryly. Malachi rolled his eyes and looked at everyone else, who just shrugged, now looking uncomfortable. I made a mental note to get after Noe for what he did to Hannibal, but for some reason, even though he had the temerity to look ashamed a moment ago, he was still glaring at Hannibal, which sent a sliver of doubt coursing through me. I wasn't sure what Noe sensed, because I sure didn't sense anythign, but I wasn't going to count Noe's vote out just yet.

"Well, that's everyone I can think of." Noe muttered at last. Everyone was frowning, obviously running Noe's story through their heads.

It didn't make sense. We analyzed everyone Noe came in contact with, including Hannibal and Abel, and yet--

Wait. Everyone Noe came in contact with. What if it had been someone that had no contact with Noe, but had contact with someone Noe had contact with? I snapped my fingers at Noe, who looked up at me curiously. I hesitated, wondering how I was even going to say anything before I conjured a paper and pen, scribbling down my thought process before I held it up for him to read.

"Ah, jeez, we don't have time for this." Cain groaned.

"Shut up," Noe snapped, making Cain glare at him before Noe looked away awkwardly to continue reading my page, "He's thinking it wasn't someone I personally had contact with, but someone who might have had contact with someone I was with."

"That could be anyone," Abel complained, hopping up to sit on the front desk again despite Malachi's warning glare to get down, "The chain could just go on and on and on."

"No," Noe drawled, stepping back from my paper as I sent it bursting into flames before it fell to the floor as ash, "We just need to figure out who could have passed on the... what? Virus? Oracle virus?"

"That sounds like computer talk." Abel muttered. Noe ignored him and looked up at me.

"How does someone become an oracle?" He asked. I frowned, then looked up at Charon, who looked surprised at getting attention. I could sense his immediate discomfort when everyone looked at him for help. Charon had lived the longest amongst us, even older than myself or Cerberus, no matter how much Cerberus boosted about being the oldest. Charon had been around since the underworld had come into being. He wasn't even technically a son of Hades, but Hades adopted him after his parents abandoned him. Since then, Hades had been going around bragging about how Charon belonged to him, even though he didn't. His stay here wasn't entirely pleasant either since my other brothers tended to mock him for not actually being their blood brother.

Kyros turned to look down at Charon, who swallowed hard and just shook his head. It was like they were having a silent conversation before Charon spoke. His voice was very soft and delicate, unlike the rest of my brothers. If anyone was as silent as myself, it was Charon, and he chose it.

"Phoebe's power," Charon murmured quietly, "It has to be someone who has her blood in their veins to be able to pass on the power. We all have the powers our parents have combined, and even some left overs from our grandparents." Malachi's eyes widened for a moment as he looked at the rest of us as one by one we were struck by realization.

"A son of Phoebe?" Noe asked, perplexed.

"Who the hell would mate with her?" Cain asked incredulously, making Theo and Cerberus nod in bitter agreement.

"That doesn't matter," Malachi scowled, clenching his fists, "We need to go through a list of children that Phoebe's had. Phoebe and her husband, Coeus."

"As far as we know, she didn't have that many," Kyros spoke up, his voice hoarse and gravelly, "To date, she only gave birth to Leto and Asteria. But she probably had an illegitimate child. Gods know they're as loyal as the screaming blonde girl in horror flicks." I raised an eyebrow at his reference and the others nodded grimly.

"So, we need to ask Phoebe then." Cain deadpanned, but Noe shook his head, folding his arms over his chest.

"No way. She won't say anything, no matter what we do, and neither will Coeus. We need to figure it out a different way, one that doesn't involve actually going to Tartarus and casually asking. We already learned what happened last time, should we all go down there at once." Everyone glanced at Theo, who scowled and gave us his middle finger as a response. We ignored him, glancing amongst ourselves to find a way to figure out who Phoebe's child was, without actually asking them.

Part of me wanted to suggest Hades, but I doubted he would be in any kind of mood to help us after the incident with Noe. Even so, the other gods, too, would be very reluctant to speak to us. They wouldn't want to get involved with the people protecting them from Titans. Gods forbid they help anger the Titans by imprisoning them even further.

"All right," Malachi said with a wary sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose, "Let's stop thinking before all our heads explode. We've gotten further today than we have before. As homework, we all need to try and figure out who could be Phoebe's son. And don't try to kill yourselves doing it." My brothers glared at him before one by one vanishing from the lobby, making Malachi glare after them.

"And I told you to stop teleporting into my home!" He called after them angrily before huffing as he ran a hand through his hair. Dorean went over to him and held up his plush toy to Malachi, giving his head a little tilt as he smiled up at him.

"Soft things make Dorean happy. Maybe work for Malachi too?" He asked. Malachi looked embarrassed, but smiled down at him anyway and ruffled his hair, thanking him. Dorean looked positively esctatic at the positive attention and made a weird noise of delight, his tail flickering around behind him as his wings fluttered. I cleared my throat and walked across the lobby to Adrian, who looked relieved that Malachi and Dorean were getting along.

"Adrian," Noe said, making Adrian turn to give Noe a tight lipped smile, obviously forced, "Do you have anymore of those coins you used to summon Xenon with?" Adrian's smile fell into a stern frown.

"Why?" He asked. Noe looked offended at his stiff tone, but he knew very well why Adrian was wary around him now. Noe's display against Hannibal had been extremely offensive, and not to mention awkwardly uncomfortable. Even I had to admit it.

"We owe someone something." He responded tightly. Adrian glanced at me now and I gave him an encouraging nod. He sighed, shifting uncomfortably as he turned to Dorean and held his hand out.

"Dorean, I need one of those coins." He said. Dorean squirmed at that, tugging at his pockets. He passed Noe and I a sideways glance, then looked back at Adrian through his snow white hair.

"He be mad if Dorean gives away his money."

"It's not his money, Dorean. It's just something we need if we want to talk to him." Adrian assured, making Dorean brighten instantly.

"Okay! If Lord Zelios and Master Noe only talk, not be mean, Dorean thinks is okay. Xenon should too." Dorean agreed, reaching into his pocket and withdrawing one of the rare silver coins, handing it to Adrian, who turned to place it into my awaiting palm. Noe was still eyeing Adrian with an annoyed stare, which Adrian swiftly ignored to look up at me with a frown.

"I'm sorry that Hades cursed you," He said quietly, making me lift a brow in surprise at his sympathy, "I know you were just doing it to save Noe. That means a lot in my book. Next time you need help, Mal and I will help you. Promise."

"Dorean too!" Dorean exclaimed, touching my hand and beaming up at me. I smiled and gave him a nod in thanks before Noe and I took our leave. Instead of flashing to Tartarus, we went to Olympus, our clothing instantly becoming as black as night. A stark contrast to Apollo's gleaming marble temple that seemed to glow brightly all of a sudden, as if the god inside were extremely pleased. I couldn't tell if that was good or bad.

Shrugging it off, I led the way into the temple with Noe at my heels. We came into the throne room to find Apollo eating slices of pizza from a Pizza Hut box, wearing only a pair of loose white sweatpants. His thick auburn hair was currently being tied into tiny braids near his temple by Callias, who sat beside the god looking calm and composed as he ran his fingernails through the god's hair.

"Oh great," Apollo groaned as soon as he saw us, waving his hand for Callias to stop playing with his hair, which he obeyed instantly as Apollo rose to his feet, "What do you two want now?" Noe scowled, folding his arms over his chest.

"We made a deal with Callias that we would like to follow through with if you don't mind." He responded heatedly. Apollo wrinkled his nose, placing a hand on his hip and looking down at his nose at Noe as if he were a flea.

"Watch your tone with me, Oracle of Tartarus. I'm still your master." He added, making Noe stiffen. He looked like he was ready to make a snarky comment, but Callias stepped forward and laid a hand on Apollo's arm. Only a fool wouldn't be able to see the way the god's cock jumped at that as Apollo turned his head to give Callias an almost dreamy smile. How odd, I thought. Apollo hadn't behaved this way in a very long time. It was very rare that he found a male lover he wanted to keep.

"Lord Apollo, please allow me to speak with them, for just a moment, in privacy." Callias said, his voice a soft purr that could barely be heard by us if we didn't have godly hearing. Apollo seemed to shiver at the way Callias drew his nails very gently down Apollo's arm.

"Ah," Apollo glanced at Noe and I sourly before looking back at Callias with a wicked expression, "If you promise to let me lather you in oil and fuck you in the garden, yes. You may." Callias gave a polite inclination of his head and Apollo shuddered before glaring at Noe and I.

"Hurry your asses up. You'll have more privacy out in the garden." He added, gesturing down a short hallway to his left with his thumb. Callias nodded and gestured for Noe and I to follow him. We walked down the short hallway and turned through a laurel decorated archway to the garden where rows upon rows of bright, vibrant flowers littered the area around a pool meant for swimming, marble flooring running around the length of the pool. Beyond that, it became a steep hill that dipped off into the vast forest of Olympus.

Once we were sure we were alone, Callias turned to face me and held out his hand without a word. I placed the coin into his palm and he clenched his fist around it, then cocked his head before looking up at me through locks of his loose red hair.

"Hades cursed you." He stated. I just stared at him blankly. Noe frowned, glancing between us before giving Callias a dry stare. Callias gazed at me for a moment longer, with an expression I couldn't quite decipher, before he blinked and looked away at the coin, taking a few steps back. He didn't tell us to leave or anything, just flipped the coin into the air, closing his eyes as if he were in bliss.

"Xenon." He whispered. The coin fluttered through the air, then came tumbling back down to disappear into the marble flooring, causing it to ripple and shudder. A coil of pitch black smoke shot out into the air and twirled like a mini-tornado at the center of the garden, causing flowers to tremble at the force of the power entering their territory.

Xenon appeared in a wave of smoke, wearing his long black jacket, his black and red streaked hair tossed over one shoulder and a pair of wraparound shades hiding his eyes, but his expression was clear. A mixture between mild surprise and annoyance as he placed his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

"You finally managed to get one of my coins?" He asked flatly. Callias stared at him for a moment, taking in the full length of the taller man, from head to toe, before he looked into Xenon's eyes through the sunglasses.

"It's been three thousand years." He breathed at last. Xenon's eyes narrowed behind his glasses. He glanced at Noe and I for a split second before looking back at Callias, tilting his head up to look down at Callias.

"I don't converse with whores." He deadpanned. I expected Callias to be hurt or offended, but he brushed the comment off as swiftly as if Xenon had never spoken. He took a step toward Xenon and Xenon took one back. Callias hesitated now. I could see the debate on his face, whether summoning Xenon had been a good idea or not, then he clenched his fists and spoke more firmly now.

"I summoned to apologize." He stated. Noe and I shared confused looks, then turned back to see Xenon staring at Callias blankly.

"Yeah, of course you did," Xenon responded monotonously, "Let me tell that to the others-- Ohhh, wait. Gah, last I checked, they were all dead." Callias actually flinched now.

"Xenon, I'm paying for what I did, I--"

"Becoming a whore isn't paying for what you did."

"I am not a whore." Callias responded defensively, but Xenon barked out a bitter laugh that echoed awkwardly in the garden. He shook his head at Callias, taking another step back as he reached up to run a hand through his streaked hair before letting it fall loose down his back.

"Let me save you the embarrassment and say I don't forgive you and neither do the eight hundred people you killed." He told him. Noe's eyes widened at that, his lips parting, but no words coming out to express his shock. Even I was a bit surprised. Callias seemed harmless. How could he have gotten so many people killed? Xenon turned to Noe and I now, ignoring Callias, who stared at him with an expression I couldn't pinpoint.

"As for you two," Xenon drawled, narrowing his eyes at us, "Your trouble is far from over. The more you meddle with the Titans, the more you shake their chains loose. Even worse should you find the spy. If you find him, you're not saving yourselves. You're damning the world, and his world."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Noe demanded, confused. Xenon pinned him with an intense stare that could be felt even through the darkness of his sunglasses.

"I'll give you this key for free," He stated, cocking his head, "The spy may be helping the Titans, but he's not the one you should be worrying about. I can't give you anything else. It's against my rules to give you the answers. Need a hint? Don't trust anyone." With that, Xenon vanished in a sharp clap of thunder. An odd lift of power left with him as well as a heavy sorrow I hadn't quite noticed before.

"What was that about?" Noe asked incredulously, turning to Callias, who stared at the spot where Xenon had left before lifting his eyes to stare at us.

"Take Xenon's advice," He murmured almost as if he were in a trance, "Always take his advice. If you don't, you'll end up like me." Noe frowned at him, confused.

"And what's that?" He asked. Callias stared at him with eerie indigo eyes that seemed to flicker to entirely white for a split second before returning to normal as he whispered.

"Damned."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

966K 63.4K 31
God of Misfortune. What's one to do when this curse was bestowed upon your soul at creation? Rowan has that all figured out. Isolation is the solutio...
1.1M 64.5K 37
It's the final showdown. The Shifter is done playing games. The war reaches its peak. The fate of the universe is at hand. And Lucifer finds himself...
1.1M 56.5K 17
[Book 11] Alaric doesn't fear the Reaper-- Rather, he's sleeping with him. Unfortunately, even Death can't stop Alaric from going on a suicide missio...
1.1M 59.2K 16
[Book 8] Xenon, one of the last remaining Atlantean gods, loathes gods and higher ups. It's why he prefers the company of much lesser demons. One par...