Royals: Part 5

By royalkennedylover

*Fifth book in the Royals Series* Jackie Baker's life changed when her best friend, Kate Middleton, married h... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Read Royals: Part 6!

Chapter 10

12.2K 262 28
By royalkennedylover

"She's had an extra long nap so she should be nice and perky," said Nanny Sophia, carrying Mary Kate out of her nursery.

Jackie had just gotten her hair pulled into a neat up-do by Amanda Cook Tucker, the royal family's favorite hair stylist, a brand new fascinator pinned on top. She was wearing a pair of small pearl earrings the Queen had given her before her wedding and a new white dress. It was Mary Kate and George's christening day, and the royals were due to leave their homes in a few minutes. Jackie, of course, was running a bit behind- Mary Kate wasn't even dressed.

"I couldn't have done it without you, Nanny Sophia," Jackie thanked, taking her daughter from the Spanish nanny.

"I've laid out the gown on her changing table, all you have to do it put it on," Nanny Sophia called as she hurried to her own bedroom in York Cottage to put on her best dress for the occasion.

Jackie dressed the very vocal Mary Kate in her white silk christening gown.

"Don't you look beautiful!" Jackie cooed, holding Mary Kate up in front of her. Mary Kate flapped her arms up and down, letting out a happy shriek.

"You're going to have to keep the screaming to a minimum at the ceremony, I'm afraid," Jackie said with a smile. Mary Kate already had such a personality at 3 months old- she was just like Harry. She was loud, and was grinning and squealing at just about everything. Jackie had a feeling she was going to be a handful at public events, especially when she could walk and talk. But Mary Kate's gummy little smile, the way she flapped her arms when she got excited, her high-pitched excited scream, and the way she rested her hands and face on Jackie's chest every time she held her were the absolute best things in the world.

"Ready to go?" Jackie asked. Mary Kate screeched as Jackie carried her down the grand staircase of York Cottage, where Harry, Nanny Sophia, and Elizabeth were waiting.

"Oh, thank god," Elizabeth gushed, checking her watch. "I thought we were going to be late."

"A Duchess is never late," Jackie said in her best Julie Andrew's impression, "everyone else is simply early."

Harry laughed, Elizabeth let out a stressed sigh, and Nanny Sophia snapped a quick picture of Mary Kate in Jackie's arms.

"You need to be out the door at exactly 4:21," Elizabeth said, straightening her outrageous fascinator- complete with a feathered bird and halo of flowers. "That way you'll run into William and Catherine on the main road and you'll arrive together."

"Got it," Jackie promised. "I'll see you at the church."

Elizabeth wrung her hands, leaning in to give Mary Kate a peck on the forehead. "See you soon, my little goddaughter."

Jackie and Harry had decided on 5 godparents for Mary Kate. Kate and Will, of course (Jackie and Harry had been chosen as George's), as well as Elizabeth, Jackie's second best friend and most trusted advisor, and Harry's cousins, Princess Beatrice and Peter Phillips.

Jackie, Harry, and Mary Kate were left alone in the foyer of York Cottage while Elizabeth and Nanny Sophia headed for St. Mary Magdalene Church, just a few minutes walk down the road. The paths from York Cottage and Anmer Hall met at a fork just in front of the church, so the families had decided they would leave their houses separately before meeting up, just before they got in the view of the paparazzi and fans that had been camped out all day in front of the church.  

"She just looks so pretty in her gown," Jackie said as she tucked Mary Kate into the Silver Cross pram she would be riding in on the way to the church.

"Do you think she'll be cold?" Harry asked. It was October 23rd, early fall, and a cool breeze was blowing across the Norfolk countryside.

"No, I don't think so, the dress is pretty thick."

In a few minutes, it was time to leave. Mary Kate was babbling to herself in the carriage as Jackie pushed it out the door, Harry at her side. She couldn't think of a better way to spend her 30th birthday. 

The twitter world was blowing up with birthday messages for Jackie. Earlier that morning, Buckingham Palace's twitter tweeted a message and a picture:

'Wishing the Duchess of Windsor a very happy 30th birthday! #HappyBirthdayHRH'

Then, Kensington Palace had tweeted out a picture of the Windsors that had been taken when Mary Kate was about 8 weeks old. Kate had come over and taken the picture for them, having Jackie and Harry sit in front of an old brick wall in the garden of York Cottage, Mary Kate propped up in Jackie's lap. Kensington Palace tweeted the picture with the message: 

'The Duchess of Windsor wishes to share this photo of her family on the occasion of her 30th birthday, and thanks you all for your #HappyBirthdayHRH tweets!'

Jackie was pulled out of her thoughts as she and Harry met Will and Kate at the fork in the path. George was in a pram just like Mary Kate's, his eyes wide and alert. 

"All ready?" Kate asked with an excited smile. 

Everyone agreed, rounding a curve in the path so that they were in full view of the press and fans in the paddock of St. Mary Magdalene Church. There were cheers, Jackie, Harry, Kate, and Will grinning as they walked towards the church. Jackie could see the entire royal family and other close friends of the couples standing near the doors. They stopped the carriages, Kate and Jackie reaching inside to pick up George and Mary Kate. 

Mary Kate smiled at Jackie, her eyes blinking to adjust to the afternoon light. Jackie put her pinkie finger in Mary Kate's hand, and her daughter's little fingers curled around hers. Everyone waited outside for a moment, chatting before the ceremony and allowing the press to snap some photos.

Jackie and Kate approached the Queen and Prince Charles with their children in hand. "Such a happy day," said the Queen with a warm smile. "They've grown so much already."

"I think they've become friends," said Kate with a smile. "They get so excited when they make eye contact." 

"They'll be the best of friends, won't they? Just like twins," said Prince Charles. He reached out to brush both George and Mary Kate's hair. Prince Charles had a strong love for children, so he was very involved with his grandchildren. He visited quite a bit, especially when they were at Kensington. It was no secret he had always wanted a daughter, so Charles had already bought Mary Kate her first piece of jewelry- a small silver pendant stamped with an M. Though she was still too young to wear it, Jackie was sure the pendant was something Mary Kate would treasure for her entire life. 

The church bells rang, signaling it was time for the service to start. Jackie carefully climbed the steps, Mary Kate in her arms, and Harry at her side. 

Her twenties had been the best decade of her life- she'd met Kate, Will, and Harry, graduated from St. Andrew's, served as maid of honor in Kate's wedding, got married to Harry, and had her daughter, all in a span of 10 years. Jackie could only hope her 30s would bring as much joy as her 20s. 

---

Guests mingled in the Sandringham House ballroom, chatting and eating finger sandwiches and scones. A slice from the top tiers of both Will and Kate's and Harry and Jackie's wedding cakes had been set out to celebrate the christenings- a somewhat odd tradition. Jackie was relieved to be enjoying the reception- finally done with the traditional family pictures. She felt as though her cheeks were going to snap from smiling so much. She'd posed with Mary Kate and Harry, then with Mary Kate, Harry, Kate, George, and William, then with Mary Kate, Kate, and George, then with the entire Royal Family, then with just Mary Kate, Harry, Charles, Camilla, Prince Phillip, and the Queen, and about a hundred other combinations. It was exhausting.

"Your Highness," Elizabeth said, approaching Jackie with her clutch in hand. "Would you mind if I got a picture of the three of you together, for my personal album?"

Jackie wanted to groan, but decided Elizabeth deserved a good picture. After all, she practically organized every waking minute of Jackie's life. 

Jackie motioned to Harry, who was holding Mary Kate and speaking to his old co-pilot, David Abbott, to come with her. Elizabeth led them through a doorway into one of the Sandringham House drawing rooms. Harry held Mary Kate in one arm and put the other around Jackie. 

"Mary Kate!" Elizabeth cooed, "look here!" Jackie's lady in waiting and Mary Kate's godmother took a picture on her iPhone, admiring it. "Oh I think this is a good one!" 

Jackie and Harry looked over Elizabeth's shoulder at the photo. Jackie agreed- it was actually her favorite photo of all the ones that had been taken that day. 

---

Thanks for reading! Please keep up the great comments and suggestions!

Which edit is your favorite??

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.5K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
369K 7K 19
*Third Book in the Royals Series* Jacqueline Baker's life has totally changed since she agreed to be maid of honor at her best friend, Kate Middleton...
8.4K 243 11
After discovering during the spring of 2003 that Kate was expecting a child out of marriage, the firm decides to take her to another country in order...
983K 32.4K 37
Holly was the youngest of ten kids, and the most beloved daughter of Lord John Campton. She befriends the Duke and Duchess's only daughter at the ag...