For Auld Lang Syne (Navy Book...

By Sarahbeth552002

Devon Tatum had waited ten years for Josh McIntire to come back into her life. Where he had been for the pas... More

The Beginning...
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 (The End)
Don't Say Good Bye
Sweetest Goodbye (Navy book 3)
A Beautiful Mess
Soft Place to Fall
More of You
Dream
Love Me Sweet (Love Me book 1)
Love Me True (Love Me book 2)
To See You
The Best Thing (Stevens Book 8)
Let It Be Me (Triplets 1)
And So It Goes (Stevens book 10)

Chapter 1

83.2K 2.4K 106
By Sarahbeth552002

Devon Tatum kept the smile pasted on her face as she raised a glass to the happy couple. Just one more hour and she could make her escape. She watched Hal Reilly as he kissed her sister dramatically after the announcement of their engagement.

Devon dutifully took a sip of champagne, allowing the bubbles to mask the cloying scent of the overdressed ladies and their aromatic perfumes. The large main hall of the house had never seen so many people, and that was due to the groom-to-be's famous parents. Hal was tall dark and handsome, and his parents were Hollywood royalty with a handful of Oscars between them. Glancing over at her parents, she noticed the famous Ford Reilly and Annabell Paxton standing in a corner with Pamela and Alex Tatum and they were all smiles. Behind them were Jenny and James McIntire, who had been the Tatum's best friends for over twenty-five years.

Devon's gaze moved from the bright colored crowd back to her sister Bree, who looked like a little china doll next to Hal's large frame. Bree's blond hair, blue eyes, and petite stature always made people assume that she was as sweet as she looked, making most people automatically feel the urge to protect her. But Devon knew the real Bree. She loved her sister and she would never speak publicly against her, but Devon knew her to be a little bit of devious with a lot of conceit, enough to make her dangerous, which is how she had landed Hal.

Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you looked at it, Hal hadn't figured it out yet.

"That's it, just a little bit longer then you can get rid of that horrible excuse of a smile." Devon heard the deep soft voice in her ear and felt his warm breath on her bare shoulder. She didn't have to turn around to know it was Josh McIntire, everything about him was her sixth sense.

She didn't want to turn and see him. It had been ten years, and she wondered if he would live up to her memories of him. She kept the fake smile in place, wondering if now, like when they had both been younger, she had an ally.

Taking a deep breath, she turned and looked at him. Lord help her he was even better than she remembered. Looking away quickly, before her glance turned into a stare, she said the first thing that popped into her head. "And your smile looks super realistic."

Someone pushed in behind them, sending them forward and he grabbed her arm as he steadied them both.

Feeling her heartbeat jump erratically at his touch, she took a sip of the champagne. "When did you get here?"

"Just in time for the announcement. Is she really going to go through with it?" He was still talking softly in her ear. She may not have seen Josh for ten years, but it would seem that he had been kept up-to-date on Bree, at least enough to be able to comment on the subject of her past boyfriends. Devon would bet he didn't know a thing about what she had been up to for the past ten years.

"Who knows, his parents are famous so that's something, and he did manage to get a ring on her finger, that's more than any other man has been able to do." Devon didn't have to worry about hiding her true feelings from Josh in regards to her sister. She didn't think he knew just how bad it had been between them, but if anyone could guess at it, it would be him. Josh had picked up her bruised ego more than once after Bree had finished beating it thoroughly.

"Let's get out of here. Your parents are putting me up in the guest house, you?" he asked.

"I'm there too, I think your parents wanted to be close to all of the action so they're here, in the house, but I promised myself another hour just to keep the peace." She took another long sip of champagne as the couple descended the stairs and made straight for them. "Incoming." Devon moved to step aside but Josh grabbed her arm, keeping her close to his side.

"Oh no you don't," he whispered.

"Josh!" Bree squealed as she smiled and danced towards him. Devon knew Bree well and didn't miss the quick tightening of her lips as she saw Josh's hand on Devon's arm, but the look was gone so quickly and she doubted anyone else noted it.

"Bree," Josh greeted calmly as he received her small body when it was hurled against him. He was forced to catch her, releasing Devon, who took the advantage to turn and get a good look at him, and she couldn't stop staring. He was beautiful, the years had added an edge to him. A maturity and self-assuredness that had always been hinted at in their youth.

All of the girls in school had been jealous that she knew him so well and a few of her so-called friendships had only been girls trying to get close to Josh. That, coupled with Bree's penchant for stealing her boyfriends, had sometimes made her wonder how she had survived her youth and been left with any self-confidence at all.

Josh was wearing a beautifully cut grey suit with a narrow grey tie that matched his eyes. He was clean-shaven but there was a bit of a shadow on his jaw and, even though Hal was tall, Josh towered over him, but where Hal was lean Josh was all muscle. His dark hair was cropped short, just a little bit longer than a buzz cut which made his strong jaw look like granite.

When he received Bree in his arms she looked small and delicate, something that at a statuesque 5'8" Devon would never be. Where Bree had the perfect head of blond locks, Devon had deep auburn hair that was more red than brown and the pale and freckled skin tone that went with it. Devon rarely had issues with her looks, in fact, she thought she was fairly good looking, but when placed next to her perfect little sister she felt like a bumbling giant.

"I'm so glad you made it, Josh. Your parents said you would be here, but I was so worried you wouldn't." Bree was still in Josh's arms, having forgotten all about her future husband standing behind her, waiting.

"Hal, this is Josh McIntire, Jenny and James's son. He grew up with me and Bree," Devon said by way of explanation, but she didn't think he heard her since all of his attention was fixed on Bree and Josh.

When Devon mentioned Hal's name Bree gave a little frown as if she had just been reminded of something unpleasant. Pushing away from Josh, her perfect happy smile in place, she reached for Hal. "So Josh, what do you think of my Hal?"

"Hard to tell since we've only just met, but I've heard only good things." Josh held out his hand and Hal took it, his concern easing into a smile as Josh turned on the charm. Devon masked a snort with a sip of champagne.

Someone called out to the happy couple from across the room and with the promise of catching-up later, Bree turned and moved towards the young pair who was beckoning them.

"You can still charm the bees right out of their hive Josh McIntire." Devon shook her head draining her glass.

He gave her the wicked grin she remembered so well and then took her arm again. "I'm starving, where's the food?"

"It's crap," Devon said, still a bit churlish about Bree being able to throw herself in Josh's arms. All she had gotten was a whisper and a touch.

Josh studied her for a moment. "Are you drunk?"

"No, not yet, but I've had enough to kill my brain to mouth filter." Devon reached for another glass from a passing waiter.

"Do you want to be?" Josh asked with an amused smile.

"God yes," she groaned, and she wanted to be. She wanted to get good and smashed, and who better to do it with than her old trusted friend Josh.

"That bad?" His voice still sounded amused.

Devon nodded as he started to pull her towards the kitchen. "First food, we'll get it to go, then alcohol."

"Josh!" She pulled back. "Did you say hello to the Smothers yet?"

He paused just long enough for her to know that the answer to that question was no.

"You have to go say hello and then meet Hal's parents. They're famous, it'll be a story for you to tell later on when you're old and grey," Devon informed him.

He stopped and turned to look down at her with a crooked smile. "Trust me Firefly, meeting two famous people that I've never heard of will not make the top of my most interesting stories list."

Devon's stomach did a little dip at his special nickname for her. His use of it was like a suction cup that pulled a whole lot of old memories to the surface. Firefly was the nickname he had called her in their few private moments growing up; the many times he had consoled her after the loss of a boyfriend, or when she had been fighting with her mother, even the time she had fallen out of the tree and sprained her wrist. That had been the first time he had called her Firefly. She had been 13 and he had been 15, she had fallen in love at that moment.

But one memory, in particular, the second and last time he had kissed her, was the one that floated to the top of the pile. Perhaps it was because it was also the last time she had seen him. She licked her lips subconsciously at the memory, and everything stood still as they looked at each other. Josh's look was vague and she couldn't tell if he had used the nickname on purpose or not. Did he also remember the same memory?

"Lead the way," he said after a moment, having given in to her instructions.

Devon turned away from him sharply and led the way across the room on shaky legs. Maybe she had imagined a hidden meaning in his use of the nickname. Somewhere a jazz band started to play, and she felt Josh's gaze on her back. What on earth was going through his mind? Was it also flashing back to the past and a moment that had turned her whole world upside down?

They reached the three couples and Josh put his hand on Devon's waist from behind, keeping her squarely in front of him. He was using her as a shield, and when she saw the way Annabelle Paxton was sizing him up, as if he was a yummy treat she intended to have, she couldn't blame him. The woman was not attempting to be subtle in her admiration.

Just then Bree came bouncing over and grabbed Josh's arm, "Please dance with me, Josh. it'll give us a chance to get caught up after all these years." She gave him her sweetest smile and Josh smiled in return, but she noticed that it didn't reach his eyes as he allowed Bree to lead him away.

Devon turned in time to see the Smothers exchange a scheming glance. The Smothers was something that she and Josh had taken to calling Pamela and Jenny when they were in high school. Since the two women were always together it became easier to say the Smothers rather than my mom and your mom.

Jenny caught Devon looking at her and smiled even more widely.

"Jenny, Josh is your son?" Annabelle asked as she watched Bree lead him onto the dance floor in a slow dance. Her cougar like gaze devoured him, and it suddenly reminded Devon of the rumor that had made the rounds in their high school. Josh had been a senior and Devon had been a sophomore. Josh, it was said, was having a mad affair with the principle's wife who was younger than the principle but older than Josh. At that moment Annabelle was proving to Devon that the story, which she had always thought of as nonsense, could possibly be true.

Tired of watching Annabelle's hungry gaze and the Smothers' indulgent glances aimed at Josh and Bree, especially since she knew what their thoughts were, she turned and made her way towards the living room and the comfortable couches there. Having no clue whether she would see Josh again or not, she would wait out her hour and then leave.

She sat down with a sigh, disappointed about not being able to lean her head back due to her hairstyle. She brushed the deep plum A-line skirt over her knees and tucked her long legs under her not caring that her high heels might be getting the sofa dirty as she wondered if Josh was aware of the Smothers' hopes. Ever since they were all children it was their hope that Bree and Josh would one day marry.

It was only a matter of minutes before Hal found her as she stared at the shapes in the carpet while trying to push away thoughts of what it would be like if Bree and Josh were to marry and have lots of little Joshes. He sat down next to her heavily, looking weary.

They sat silently for a moment as he rubbed his face. "Devon..." he began, but no other words came. She knew he was trying to find a way to apologize for choosing her sister over her, and Devon was spurned enough to let him struggle to find the words. He must not have been able to find them because the coward totally changed the subject.

"Who is this Josh guy?" he finally asked.

"He's the McIntire's son." Devon lowered her legs to the ground as she prepared to leave, not interested in a heart to heart with him.

"I know that," Hal said shortly, "what's between him and Bree?"

"I have no clue. I've never thought to ask."

"Devon, have they dated? Have they had an affair?" He looked desperate as the questions came out one right after the other. All Devon could think was that he was a piece of work. He had thrown her over for her sister and now he wanted her to reassure him that Bree was not interested in another man.

"I'm obviously not the person to ask. I have a hard time gauging people and their personal feelings towards others, and you more than anyone should know that..." She left the rest of that sentence unsaid, knowing he would figure out what she was referring to.

At least he had the decency to blush at her words or lack of them.

"Devon...I'm sorry, but your sister...she's just different. She's the one," he was almost pleading.

"Then why are you worried, Hal? If she's the one then Josh hardly matters." Devon shrugged.

He looked grim as he shook his head. "He matters."

"I can't help you Hal-" she held up her hand when he looked as if he was going to interrupt her. "I haven't seen Josh in ten years. I have no clue about him or his life." As she said the words it made her sad. At one time they had been close, but after that night, ten years ago, he had dropped off the face of the earth, at least for her anyway. Was he still embarrassed by it? As soon as she had the thought she dismissed it. Josh would not be embarrassed by anything, it wasn't in his personality.

Suddenly, Bree entered the room looking from one to the other suspiciously and Devon wanted to scream at the look on her face. How was it all right for her to mess with her boyfriend's, steal them, flirt with another man at her engagement party, but it wasn't all right for Devon to simply talk to her future brother-in-law? Between her and Hal she was done for the night.

She glanced over Bree's shoulder and saw Josh's amused glance. There was also a bit of a dare there as if he knew what she was thinking and dared her to do just that. Looking at him she raised her chin a little. She would not get frustrated, she would not care, and she was fine. This had been her mantra for the last twenty-something years.

"How about a dance Devon? I can't dance with only one sister. How would that look?" He held out his hand waiting for Devon to take it, not doubting for a second that she would. Devon looked at his outstretched hand as she moved towards him. Somehow the simple act of taking it meant more than it should have and was strangely intimate. His warm hand grasped hers, and she could feel the calluses on them as he spun her around making her laugh.

"Don't wait up," he said to Hal and Bree with a grin as he escorted her out of the room and onto the dance floor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69 15 14
Now this is definitely much different than a lot of the books on this site, but I want to share this work somewhere. And I made this when I was 11 so...
3.9M 120K 34
Mia has lived a life of abuse from her father and ex. She runs away, leaving her old life behind and creating a new one. What happens when she meets...
347K 8.1K 26
"You left me alone, with no idea what to do!" "I'm sorry, okay! But you could have been supportive!" "Oh, I'm sorry that you decided to tell me the d...
1.4K 44 25
Brianna kissed a stranger in front of his date and experienced her first kiss with him. They met again in a gala, she was with another man but they b...