The Beauty in Pain | Book One...

By janmwhite

It is the year 803 and Mynera wished she was dead. Or at least, not sitting in her bedchambers waiting for he... More

Author's Note
Part One
1.1. Betrothed
1.2. Betrothed
1.3. Betrothed
2. Escaped
3. Talk
4. Confession
5. Lovers
6. Argue
7. The Capital - Tosh City
8. Ball
9. Ball 2
10. Wedding
11. Ambushed
Part Two
12. Dungeon
13. Escaped
14. Thieves
15. Dwelling
16. Game
17. Posa Town
18. Lord Ingstad
20. Betrayed
21. Barron
22. Moving Forward
23. King Gavin
24. Confession 2
25. Queen Madeline
26. The New City
27. Ole Tave!
28. Vampires
29. Reginald
30. The Proposal
31. Into the Woods
32. The Lycanthropes
33. Abandoned
34. Return
Part Three
35. Arcadia
36. The Duel
37. Dining to Impress
38. Failed Seduction?
39. Love Lost, Love Gained
40. Heart vs. Brain
41. Raised from the Dead
42. Her Worst Nightmare
43 - Days Gone By
44. The Signal
45. Dinner and an Attack
46. Under Attack!
47. Wake Up Call
48. To End it All
Epilogue
The Truth in Pain |Preview|

19. Match

9.5K 539 185
By janmwhite

Sunlight filtered in through the pink drapes, casting a soft rosy glow on Mynera's cheek. With a smile, she let her eyes drift open, a sense of peace settling over her body. After days of being woken up by Saenar to get them moving, or by her own paranoia at whatever tiny sound she happened to hear, waking up like this felt like heaven. Even though the sunlight was beginning to burn her face, she felt well-rested and at ease. The morning was so bright, the soft breeze wafting in from the window so cool, that she felt peace. At long last, she didn't feel so fearful.

Mynera sat up in the bed and stretched her hands far up above her head, stretching any remaining kinks out of her limbs.

The room looked far more beautiful under the morning's sun and she saw that the food that had been at her bedside had been taken away. She flung her legs over the side, kicking her dusty boots away. She was still aware that she was in the same traveling clothes she had been in upon her arrival. The dirt felt as if it was burning against her skin. Maybe she shouldn't have fallen asleep in this state.

As soon as she thought it, a knock came at the door.

"Come in," she called.

The door opened and two female servants rushed in and bowed. They both had mousy brown hair tucked under their mob cap, hands placed on the stomachs as they lowered their upper bodies parallel to the floor. 

"Good morning, m'lady," the first said. "We were ordered to help you wash up for breakfast."

Mynera looked at them and smiled. They reminded me of the handmaids she had back before everything had happened. Even Charmaline, her fiancé's lover. Mynera looked down at the handmaids' bowed heads and sighed softly.

"There is really no need to bow that long," she told them. "But thank you. You two may draw the bath while I pick out what I will be wearing."

The handmaids straightened, bowed again, then hurried off to do as they were told. Mynera, in turn, faced what she assumed was the wardrobe. She pulled the door open. Inside was an assortment of dresses, nightdresses, riding gear, and the like. They were in all different colours. She pulled one out, admiring the design and the nice, light blue colour.

"The bath is ready, m'lady."

"Yes, just one moment." Mynera turned to face the handmaid. "This is what I will be wearing for today."

"An excellent choice, m'lady. Lord Ingstad will surely love you in that dress. His daughter wore that dress often."

"His daughter?" Mynera raised a brow in slight confusion as she looked around the spacious room. "Was this her room?"

"Yes, m'lady." The handmaid nodded her head. "She died on that bed."

Mynera glanced at the bed she'd just risen from and tried to tamper the chill that went down her spine. She was certainly not snobbish enough to scorn a dress that a dead person had once worn but she couldn't help the goosebumps that rose on her skin.

"Nevertheless, I will be wearing this," she stated, tucking the feeling aside. She laid the dress out on the bed.

"A fine choice, m'lady," said the other handmaid with a small smile. It was getting it far more difficult to tell them apart. "Lord Ingstad will be pleased."

Mynera allowed the handmaids to lead her to the bath. Stripping her dirty clothes, she frowned. "Why do you keep mentioning that Lord Ingstad will be pleased? What care should I have?"

One of the handmaids blinked in her own confusion. "Do you not want to please the lord, m'lady?"

"Well..." Mynera chose not to answer, knowing very well that she might upset Lord Ingstad's ego if she dared to say the wrong thing. Instead, she sank into the hot water with a sigh of contentment. One of the handmaids took up a piece of cloth, dipped it in the water, and proceeded to run it over Mynera's skin. The other handmaid poured warm water over Mynera's hair.

"I see you know our lord's taste," the handmaid wiping the dirt from her hand continued. "But, if I may give a tip, m'lady, he hates it when the candles are out. He would much prefer the candles be lit."

Mynera opened one eye, peeking at her. "And why should I care?"

The handmaid hesitated for a moment, her cheeks pinkening. "Well, i-if you intend on pleasing him then ..."

Then it dawned on her what the handmaid was implying.

Rage rushed through Mynera with such force that she could almost feel her body trembling. She closed her eye again, resting her neck against the back of the tub, and tried her best not to quell the feeling. 

"Are you really insinuating that I am here to be Lord Ingstad's bedmate?" she asked, calmly. There was no need to scare her with her anger, especially since it was not directed at her.

"Y-you aren't?" the handmaid stammered.

Mynera huffed a mirthless laugh. She smiled to herself, though she wouldn't be surprised if it appeared as more of a sneer. Every inch of her longed to rush out this bedchamber and seek Lord Ingstad herself, just so she could speak her mind. But she knew very well that it would only put them in another precarious position if she dared to upset her host, and that fact only made her more upset. "You thought I was here to be his whore," she mumbled, her heartbeat racing with fury.

"P-please, forgive me, m'lady!" Mynera didn't need to open her eyes to know the handmaid's face was flushed with shame. The swiping motion she made with the cloth lost its rhythm as she continued to stutter. "I wasn't thinking! I just ... well, given Lord Ingstad's attitude of late and him telling us to pay special attention to you, we just thought ..."

"You just thought I was here to sell my body."

"I'm so sorry, m'lady!"

"Do not let it happen again. I will not have the help running around making a mockery of my name."

"Yes, m'lady!"

Mynera fell silent after that way too busy trying to keep her anger down to strike up another conversation. She knew she shouldn't blame them for thinking she was here to be Lord Ingstad's concubine, but that didn't tamper her rage. If anything, the fact that the help believed such a debasing thing about her made her want to punch something. Hell, if they believed a lady would do such a thing, then it would come as no surprise to them if Mynera were to put her fist into someone's face. Preferably their dear Lord Ingstad who made a habit of bedding guests in his manor. 

The handmaids made short work of washing and drying her hair. Mynera told them to leave as soon as they were done and they ran out like the devil himself was on their heels. That was just fine with Mynera. She could take care of the rest herself without hearing them apologize every two minutes.

Mynera quickly slipped on the dress. The bodice clung well enough to her bosom, keeping them upright, but then became wispy silk that swam around her legs. It wasn't the usual style she was used to in Typena, where she would wear far more layers to create a far more dramatic shape to her figure, but she liked it nonetheless. The airy nature of the dress reminded her of her time in Arcadia. She twisted her drying hair around into a tight chignon at the nape of her neck, using a dry cloth she'd found near the bath to pat away any rivulets of water that still ran down the back of her neck. Once that was done with, she left the bedchamber.

The halls were no easier to traverse as she'd thought they'd be. The manor wasn't as big as the King's castle, not even as big as Castle Antarian. But with bland stone walls and winding paths, she wondered if she'd ever find the dining hall. The fact that she came upon no servants to help lead the way made it more difficult and she started to regret being so curt with the handmaids earlier. At long last, she came upon large double doors that she hoped would be it.

It was. Mynera pushed the door further to reveal a massive room with very little furniture and decorations. There only stood a long table in the center of the dining hall, a great chandelier hanging above it and a little sideboard in the corner of the room laden with what Mynera assumed was the collection of the lord's wines. The bareness of the room continued to drive home what that maid had said earlier about Lord Ingstad's financial troubles and Mynera almost felt a twinge of pity. 

But not until she spotted Lord Ingstad sitting at the head of the table with a bright grin on his face. Then, what the handmaids had said earlier whispered through her mind once more and her fury came back. The others were already seated. Saenar and Hale sat to the left of Lord Ingstad with Madeline sitting on the other. Madeline was the only one who didn't care to look Mynera's way.

"Ah, finally she arrives!"  he exclaimed, extending his arms wide. "Come, come! Breakfast is almost served!"

Lord Ingstad sprang from his chair as Mynera neared and he drew the chair beside Madeline for her. She forced a smile onto her face. "Thank you, my lord."

"You are most welcome, my lady," he said with a smile before heading back to his seat. As soon as he sat, the single unassuming door opened to the back of the dining hall, and in poured servants holding platters of food. It was so plentiful that Mynera could feel herself salivating at the sight, forgetting for a moment that she was angry.

How could Lord Ingstad afford to feast like this if he is low on money? she asked as she the platters of food were laid onto the table. Mynera's stomach twisted with hunger at the sight of large sausages, cakes, bowls of porridge, and freshly baked bread. Is he doing this specifically because we're here? 

Mynera eagerly picked up a spoon to dig into the porridge placed before her. The taste was simply divine.

"Did I mention that you ladies look absolutely beautiful this morning?" Lord Ingstad cooed once he was seated once more.

"No, you haven't," Madeline answered. Mynera heard the polite smile in her voice. She didn't care to look up to see for herself. "But 'tis always nice hearing it."

"Well, you do not need me to say it, do you, my queen?" Lord Ingstad chortled. "You know your beauty knows no bounds."

Mynera put a spoon of porridge into her mouth, peeking up at the men across from her. Hale was busy eating as well but caught her look and gave her a small smile. His eyes lit up instantly and it brought a smile to Mynera's lips as well. But then, when she looked at Saenar, it fell.

His attention was focused solely on his food. Mynera wouldn't have thought much about it had it not been for the fact that he was barely eating. There a flat wheat cake in his hand, but he'd only taken a single bite and he was no longer chewing. Worry lanced her at the sight. 

It hadn't been that long time ago, she reminded herself, when they'd watched their fathers die right before their eyes. 

"Why, Lord Ingstad," Madeline was saying, "your words are sweeter than the honey in my porridge."

Lord Ingstad clearly found Madeline incredibly funny because he laughed until he wheezed. "Now, do you ladies and gentlemen have any plans for the day?"

"I, for one, would love to see your manor's armory," Hale spoke up.

"Oh?" Mynera perked up at the sound of his voice. If there was anyone who could lighten the mood, it was Hale. Maybe he'd be able to pull Saenar out of his dour state. "I didn't know you were interested in such things." 

Hale's eyes lit with humor when he looked at her again. "Swords have always been a passion of mine. I just might stay there the whole day if they suit me."

"I believe they will, Lord Naiger," Lord Ingstad cut in. "I may not have the same number of men as the capital, but my men are just as good. You might not even be able to win a sparring match against them."

"Is that so?" A cocky grin spread across Hale's face. "What faith you have in your men, Lord Ingstad. Let us see if this faith is well-placed."

"Ah, you are a braver man than I, my lord." Lord Ingstad's face twisted with thought. "I have just the man for the job. He is my general, General Gisn. He's been in my service for many years."

"I look forward to meeting him."

That made the lord smile a little before he turned his attention to the man sitting closer to him. "And you, Saenar? What do you have planned for today?"

In a single second, the cloud hanging over Saenar's head dissipated and he was back to himself--somewhat. He looked at Lord Ingstad with a shake of his head. "I do not think I will put anything on my schedule today, uncle. Whatever I find myself doing is what I shall do."

"Ah, fine thinking, young lad. My queen?"

Madeline primly lifted a spoon of porridge to her mouth. "I certainly will not be watching any sparring matches, that is for certain. I may just take a walk in the gardens."

"A wonderful choice, my queen. You are sure to love the gardens, though they may not be as large as the one in the capital."

Madeline paused for a moment, then sighed. "I suppose it will have to suffice."

"Splendid!" Finally, Lord Ingstad's beady eyes shifted to Mynera. "And you, my dear Lady Mynera?"

Her anger pricked her skin once more. Mynera swallowed it as best as she could. "I think that sparring match sounds rather interesting. I might watch it. Besides, Hale will need someone there to cheer him on."

She smiled at Hale, who returned it full force.

"Interesting, indeed, my lady," Lord Ingstad said. "I would have thought that you would be spending your time in the courtyards with the guests."

"After I watch the sparring match, I will make sure to pay those guests a visit," she responded dryly, not bothering to look at him.

"Splendid, splendid! Now eat up, everyone!"

The rest of the meal went by pleasantly enough. When they were done, they left the empty plates and headed out to their respective places. Madeline, true to her word, allowed a servant to lead her to the gardens while Hale, Saenar, Lord Ingstad, and Mynera headed to the armory.

"General Gisn is a wonderful swordsman," Lord Ingstad was saying as he led the way. "He's been in my services for over thirty years and I've never once seen him get beaten. Not once!"

Mynera remained behind the rest of them, trying not to look at Saenar. His silence was so loud, she could hardly focus on the conversation.

"Well, there is a first for everything," Hale responded confidently. "I have one thing in my favor."

"Oh? And what is that?"

"I will have Lady Mynera cheering for me," he said, smirking at Mynera. Mynera perked up at the sound of her name, catching when Hale looked over at her. "I can't let her down, now can I?"

She laughed at Hale's tiny smirk, which he returned with a wink.

"Oh, yes, yes!" Lord Ingstad laughed heartily, then raised his arms with a flourish as they approached a massive door made of dark wood. "We're here!"

Lord Ingstad pranced into the room upon his announcement and the rest of them followed. The room was wide and circular. Along the walls were weapons of every kind: swords, bows and arrows, lances, clubs, crossbows. There were so many varieties, Mynera's heart quivered with excitement. A grin split across her face. In the centre of the room was a rather large patch of dirt ground surrounded by fencing. That must be where the sparring match was to take place. A small group of men stood at the other side of the enormous room. The moment they noticed their lord, they stood at attention, arms stiff at their sides.

"This is the armory!" Lord Ingstad announced.

"Yes," Mynera murmured, wandering off to the side to take in the arrangements of swords. "We gathered that."

He didn't hear her. "General Gisn!" he bellowed, waving a lazy hand as if to tell the other men they can be at ease. The men bowed, then went back to what they were doing.

A large man broke away from that crowd and ambled forward. His head was bald and shiny and he wore black armor, the Ingstad Household sigil emblazoned on the front. His face was set in stone. "Yes, my lord?"

"This man is Lord Naiger," Lord Ingstad explained, gesturing to Hale who came to stand next to his side. "He would like a spar with you."

"Yes, my lord."

Lord Ingstad faced Hale. "Please, pick your choice of weapon."

Hale nodded then ventured off to the left. Mynera followed behind him, making sure to keep her excited smile away from her face. This place was nothing like the armory at Castle Antarian but it was an armory all the same. Weapons. Weapons that she missed using. Weapons that could make her forget all her troubles, if only for a while. She could already feel the excitement and happiness building momentum inside her.

"You're drooling."

Mynera looked up at Saenar who had trotted up beside her. Her heart skipped a beat at the sound of his voice, and she wrote it off as simply being surprised by his sudden appearance. "Oh, am I? Sorry."

"What are you dreaming about that's making you so happy?" he asked in an idle tone. 

"Happy?" She glanced up at him. "Why do you think I'm happy?"

"It's written all over your face. As soon as you stepped inside, it lit up like stars."

"I'm just ... surprised, is all," she lied lamely. "I've never been in an armory."

They came to a stop. Hale continued on, still searching for the weapon he would like. Mynera stopped following and turned towards the sparring area, trying to school her features. Saenar leaned against the railing lining the sparring area, accepting the lie with a nod. "That makes sense. You never seen weapons like these up close before, haven't you?"

"I'm afraid I have not," she continued to lie. The more she did so, the bitterer her words tasted.

Saenar leaned away from the railing suddenly, moving back towards the weapons spread out behind them. Mynera turned to face him, watching as he took a sword off a rack. "Do you know what this is?"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Do not insult me."

"Hm, you don't, don't you?" His voice had become light, teasing. He laid the sword flat on his hands and extended it towards her. "This is what you call a sword. Say it with me. A sword."

Mynera didn't know whether to laugh or hit him in the stomach. Instead, Mynera narrowed her eyes at him, which only succeeded in making him pop up with laughter. "I see you enjoy poking fun at me," she said.

"It's becoming an enjoyable past-time" he chuckled. "One I don't get to do often."

She enjoyed hearing that more than she should have. She masked the feeling, rolling her eyes instead. "Well, believe it or not, I do know what a sword is." 

Without warning, she made a grab for the hilt of the sword, pulling it from his hands.

Saenar's good humor dissipated instantly. "Watch it, Mynera," he said carefully. "You need to be careful with that."

This time, Mynera was the one smiling. She twirled the sword around nonchalantly. "Why should I? Because I'm a maiden who doesn't even know the name of the thing I'm holding?"

"Because it's dangerous, Mynera!" He pranced out of the way when she waved the sword carelessly towards his face. Laughter bubbled up her throat at the terror striking his features, but she held it at bay and only raised a brow.

"Oh, don't mind me, Saenar. I might not know the name of this thing, but I do have enough sense to know that the pointy part is dangerous."

Mynera pointed it at him, only because she knew he would duck, which he did. Mynera had to fight the urge not to smile. Instead, she opened her eyes widely, feigning innocence. "I'm sorry I offended you, Mynera," Saenar said, stepping out of the way of the sword. "Now would you please...?"

"Please what?" she asked, raising a brow at him. Her giggles burst forth before she could stop it. "Would I please stop making you look like an idiot? I don't think I can, Saenar. It's simply too funny."

Finally, she lowered her sword and allowed the laughter that had been building inside her to let loose. Her stomach cramped as her giggles rocked her body and her eyes blurred with tears when she saw how unamused Saenar was. Mynera couldn't remember the last time she'd laughed so heartily.

"You're not funny, Mynera." Saenar grabbed the sword out of her hand.

She didn't get the chance to let go in time. The force with which he grabbed it pulled her forward, made her lose her balance and before she knew it, she was falling into him. The sword, luckily, clattered a short distance away.

It was like hitting the floor itself. Her body was completely on top of his and she was wholly aware of the broad expanse of his chest and his arms instantly wrapping around her as he broke her fall. Mynera couldn't stop her cheeks from heating up at his breath on her neck and her heartbeat began to race unbearably fast. Or was it his? She'd never been this close someone else before, their hearts pounding in sync.

"Mynera?" Her body trembled from the baritone of his voice. "Are you all right?"

She gave herself a moment, just a single moment, before she let herself come back to herself. Cheeks growing hot as a furnace, she tried to get off him as quickly as she could. "Yes, I'm fine. I – ow!"

Pain shot through her leg. Mynera grabbed her ankle, sitting back on her butt.

"What is it?" Saenar asked, sitting up quickly. He touched her ankle but she immediately drew away from him. Luckily, Lord Ingstad and Hale had run forward to distract her from his worried stare.

"What happened?" Hale asked, kneeling down. When took her ankle, she didn't pull away, grateful for the fact that he was partially blocking Saenar from her view.

"I think I bruised my ankle a bit," she told him, watching as he gingerly touched the area. Hale's worry deepened even further.

"Oh no." Lord Ingstad knelt down and touched her hand. Mynera looked down at it then at him. "Can you walk, my dear?"

Slowly, she withdrew her hand from under his. "I think so. It isn't very bad."

Hale was instantly by her side. Mynera tried to give him a thankful smile but she couldn't focus on anything but the fact that Saenar was still studying her. Hale slid his arm around her waist, helping her to her feet...but her heart did not race, her skin did not tingle, her stomach did not become filled with fluttering butterflies. Goodness, what was wrong with her?

Once she was fully standing, Saenar stood as well. She wished Hale wouldn't step away, if only keep Saenar from coming any closer. 

"Let me take you back to your bedchambers so that you can rest," Saenar offered.

"No thanks," she said quickly, keeping her eyes averted. "I didn't hurt myself that badly. After a while, it doesn't hurt that much anymore." Mynera placed her foot on the ground and stood on her own to prove it, holding back her hiss of pain. "See?"

Judging by the way he narrowed his eyes at her, she could tell he wasn't convinced. Or, she thought that what it meant. The heat that had erupted in her belly might be distorting her senses a bit. "Still, we should –" he started again.

"You heard the lady, Saenar," Lord Ingstad interjected. "She's fine. Now come, the match will be starting soon. Come, my dear."

Hale looked reluctant to look away from her. Mynera looked up at him, realizing that he was still holding her by the waist. SHe caught the concerned look in his eyes gave him a comforting smile. "I'm fine, I promise," she told him.

But his worry didn't decrease but after a moment, he pulled away, as if he realized that he was still standing so close. He cleared his throat and nodding, looking away. "Ah, well, then. That's good to hear." 

He looked a bit flustered for a moment but he turned away the next second, heading towards the sparring area. Lord Ingstad stepped into his place and placed his hand on the small of Mynera's back, a little too low for her liking. Still, she ignored it long enough until they walked away from Saenar and his dark eyes. As soon as they reached the sparring area, she slipped away from him.

Those inappropriate touches were beginning to make her skin crawl and what the handmaids said earlier came rushing back. But, considering what had happened before with Saenar, the anger wouldn't rise.

Mynera inched a little bit farther from Lord Ingstad for good measure, aware that Saenar had taken position between the two of them. She tried her best to ignore him. Hale was already standing in the ring and that gave her something to focus on other than the gorgeous man standing beside her, sending her discreet glances. 

In Hale's hand was a gleaming silver rapier. He held it with elegance, his body posed gracefully. General Gisn stood before him, a massive broadsword in his hand, making him look somehow bigger than he was before.

"Get ready!" Lord Ingstad bellowed.

Hale pushed one foot out before him, turning his body slightly to the side, and held his sword out to the ground in front of him. General Gisn lifted the broadsword with two hands, holding it over his shoulder, his feet braced apart.

"Fight!"

General Gisn charged first. He ran forward, bringing the sword down before Hale as if he fully intended to kill him. Mynera gripped the railing.

Hale whirled out of the way like a dancing fairy. He resumed his starting position, this time circling the General.

General Gisn wasted little time getting back into action. He moved fast for such a large man. He swung his sword around, with a loud grunt but Hale once again twirled out of the way. Mynera's grip on the railing loosened a bit. Hale looked as if he knew what he was doing. He looked lithe and unbothered while General Gisn looked heated.

General Gisn once again attempted the next move, swinging the sword down to slam into Hale. Hale raised his sword, blocking and dodging at the same time by twirling to the side, causing the swords to grate on each other, a sharp ring rising up into the air. Then he swung the sword again, this time cutting a piece of the General's clothing.

"Wonderful, Hale!" Mynera clapped in excitement. He was better than she'd first thought.

Hale smirked, keeping his eyes on the man before him. He made the first move this time. He made a lunge for the General's chest, to which the General dodged with a counter attack of his own. Hale dodged that one, moving so swiftly that Mynera hadn't even seen when his sword made contact with the General's cheek.

She watched with awe as a line of blood appeared. "I did not think Hale was so amazing," she whispered to herself, not taking her eyes off the match for a second.

"I can do better," Saenar muttered, crossing his arms.

She glanced at Saenar, distracted for a moment, before returning her attention to the fight. She soon forgot Saenar had even spoken as she watched Hale take advantage of his upper hand and consistently outmaneuvered the general.

The fight lasted no longer than five minutes. In the end, General Gisn was panting hard, one knee lowered to the ground, staring into the rapier pointing between his eyes.

"You won!" she shouted at Hale, grinning widely. He turned to her and sent her one of his signature winks.

"Hazzah! He won!" Lord Ingstad exclaimed. "I didn't think it possible! We must celebrate!"

"There's no need," Hale said as both him and the general came towards the railing. "It was merely a simple sparring match. You played well," he said to General Gisn when he came forward.

"As did you, my lord."Once again, the general's face was wiped of emotion.

"I didn't know you were so skilled with a sword, Hale," Mynera said, smiling. "You hold many secrets, don't you?"

"Not at all, my lady." Hale grinned. "My father taught me how to use a sword when I was just a child. Since then, I've always loved it."

"You and I should spar one day then Hale," Saenar said. His eyes were unusually dark as he stared at the blond man.

"Why don't we do that right now?"

"No, no! No more fights," Lord Ingstad cut in, holding up his hands. He grabbed Mynera by the hand. "Lady Mynera and I have other business and we do not want to miss it."

Mynera resisted the urge to snatch her hand away from his. If he hadn't been her host, then she most certainly would have. But just in case her crawling skin and weird feelings were misplaced, she kept herself still. "What business do we have, my lord?" she asked. 

"Do you not remember?" he asked with wide eyes. "You said you would meet our guests, my dear."

"Oh yes, that's right. I did say that, didn't I?" Mynera's heart sank. She'd already been looking forward to seeing Saenar in action again but she reminded herself to be a proper guest. "Well, I would love to meet them. Lead the way, my lord."

Not able to stand it anymore, Mynera gently eased her hand out of his. Lord Ingstad's smile stretched from ear to ear as he led her out of the armory, leaving the two boys and all those wonderful weapons behind.

"You will just love Patsy, my dear," he began to say. "She was my first dog. She's rather old now but she still has a lot of life in her that she does."

"I would love to see her."

"You'll love Rugg too," he continued, not hindered by her lackluster response. "He was the one who barked at you when you entered. He's a little rough around the edges but you'll never meet a dog as loyal as that one.

"I'm sure he is delightful."

"Perhaps you would like your own dog, my dear. I have many from which you can choose."

"Oh, I couldn't."

"Oh, you can just call him your own until you leave, my dear. Who knows how long you will be staying? You'll need some company until then."

"Really?" Hopefully, my life will go back to normal before then, though I doubt that will be the case. "Then thank you, my lord."

Lord Ingstad, once again, took her hand and held it in both his hands. "You are most welcome, my dear."

Mynera looked down at it with mild disgust. Perhaps following him to the courtyards by herself was a bad idea. He was obviously getting a bit too cozy, and that was while they were in front of others. Who knew what he would do when they were alone?

Still, she could not turn back lest she offended her host. If anything happened, she would just have to take matters into her own hands.

Soon enough, they arrived at the courtyard. But when stepped in through the doors, it was ... empty. Mynera drew closer to the center, looking around. There were no dogs, no servants. Just the same green grass, tall columns, and running fountains.

"My lord, where are the –!"

She turned around to see Lord Ingstad standing at the entrance, two red enemies flanking his side.

"I'm sorry, my dear, I don't think you'll get to pick a dog after all."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22K 1.1K 41
Part 3 of the jealousy trilogy! FIRST READ (Jealousy) THEN BOOK 2 (My destiny) ..then we'll meet again here :) Destiny and the love of her life, are...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
43.4K 2K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
7 0 17
After a deadly massacre happens in the home of the Young's. Isla is sent abroad for her own safety. After a long 8 years away, Isla returns home to S...