The Beauty in Pain | Book One...

By janmwhite

It is the year 803 and Mynera wished she was dead. Or at least, not sitting in her bedchambers waiting for he... More

Author's Note
Part One
1.1. Betrothed
1.2. Betrothed
1.3. Betrothed
2. Escaped
3. Talk
4. Confession
5. Lovers
6. Argue
7. The Capital - Tosh City
8. Ball
9. Ball 2
10. Wedding
11. Ambushed
Part Two
12. Dungeon
13. Escaped
14. Thieves
15. Dwelling
16. Game
17. Posa Town
19. Match
20. Betrayed
21. Barron
22. Moving Forward
23. King Gavin
24. Confession 2
25. Queen Madeline
26. The New City
27. Ole Tave!
28. Vampires
29. Reginald
30. The Proposal
31. Into the Woods
32. The Lycanthropes
33. Abandoned
34. Return
Part Three
35. Arcadia
36. The Duel
37. Dining to Impress
38. Failed Seduction?
39. Love Lost, Love Gained
40. Heart vs. Brain
41. Raised from the Dead
42. Her Worst Nightmare
43 - Days Gone By
44. The Signal
45. Dinner and an Attack
46. Under Attack!
47. Wake Up Call
48. To End it All
Epilogue
The Truth in Pain |Preview|

18. Lord Ingstad

9.2K 507 75
By janmwhite

Waves of shock ran through Mynera with such force that she could only stand there with her jaw hanging. She slid her wide eyes from side to side, the muffled sound instantly becoming recognized now that they were in the courtyard. But, for the life of her, she couldn't believe her eyes.

It was easy to spot Lord Ingstad. He was the only dressed in clear finery, his loud laughter mixing with the large barking all around the courtyard. And he was on the ground...being licked by a large, black dog. There were more dogs prancing and racing aroudn the wide courtyard, dirt flyig up from under their feet. Some were eating from bowls in the corner of the courtyard, others were drinking from the fountains. Those who slept sought quiet corners while the others wreacked havoc all around them, their excited barking echoing in the air around them. 

"Are you sure we're at the right place?" Hale asked, his own confusion clear in his voice.

Saenar nodded. "I'm sure."

There was a hint of humour in his voice and Mynera looked up at him in surprise. Saenar was staring at Lord Ingstad with eyes she couldn't decipher. They were different from the look he had in his eyes since they left the capital. They were lighter, less tense. The shadows of stress that had been clouding his features lifted bit by bit and Mynera could only stare at him. 

It should have been a welcomed sight, to know how much trust he was already putting in the man before them. But Mynera could not chase away that uneasy feeling no matter how much she tried. 

"Why are there dogs everywhere?" Madeline asked in disgust. She lifted her cloak out of the way as a dog barreled past her.

"As I said before," Saenar said simply. "Lord Ingstad always has guests."

At that moment, one of the dogs bounded up to them, barking loudly. It's shaggy face was contorted with hostility, and Madeline took two steps back. But it was clear the dog would do nothing but bark at them. She looked up to see that the lord of the manor had finally noticed their presence.

Lord Ingstad rolled over, his brown hair sticking up in tufts. "Who's there?"

Saenar stepped forward, bypassing the dog with ease. "Uncle Ingstad. We beg your pardon for this interruption but--"

"Hold on one second." Lord Ingstad scrambled to his feet. Mynera approached cautiously watching as he attempts to get up, his large belly clearly weighing him down. But, after a few more seconds of awkward struggling, he stood, brushing himself off and smoothing back his receding hairline. He hobbled forward, paving a path through the dogs.

He came to a stop in front of Saenar. He was a good head shorter than him and so, he peered up at Saenar's face, eyes narrowing. "Saenar? Prince Saenar, is that you?"

"Yes, Uncle."

"It is, you isn't?" Lord Ingstad eyes went wide, letting out a mirthless laugh of disbelief. He had an unlined face, with chubby cheeks and eyes that disappeared when he talked. "Well, this is surprise! What are you doing in these parts? Came to visit your old man's friend, did you?" Then a thought occured to him, making his mouth fall open. "Wait ... the king!"

Mynera glanced at Saenar, but the mention of his father didn't change his expression. Even so, she didn't miss the way his hand curled into a fist. She tucked her own hands behind her, resisting the urge to take his.

"No, that isn't right," Lord Ingstad said, with a frown. "The attack! Are you okay, my boy? I heard what happened to the capital. The common folks have been saying that the king is dead but...I did't want to believe it. Those old buggers didn't even sound sorry about it too. These are perilous times, indeed. How did you make it here all by yourself? And who are these people with you?"

"My apologies, Uncle," Saenar said softly, "but, might we speak somewhere private? We think it wise that we not reveal too much of ourselves so openly."

Lord Ingstad nodded quickly. He glanced behind Saenar again, his eyes curious when they landed on Mynera. "Yes, yes! Of course, come with me. Oh, watch your step, dear. The servants haven't been in here to clean the droppings as yet."

"Oh, heavens," Madeline whispered.

Lord Ingstad led them past the watching dogs and through a door on the other side of the courtyard. The door opened up into a wide stone hallway. They all filed in, their footsteps only accompanied by the sounds of their breathing.

"Pardon me, Lord Ingstad," Mynera called. She noticed when Saenar tensed, but he didn't look at her. She ignored it.

"Yes, my dear." Lord Ingstad glanced over his shoulder at her. "What is it?"

"Those dogs. For what reason do you have them in your courtyard?"

"Oh, my little puppies? They are cute, aren't they? I make it a little chore of mine to adopt all the stray dogs I can and keep them in the courtyard. Granted, it isn't much of a chore since I love doing it so much, but it's a win-win situation, isn't it? The dogs get an owner and a place to stay and I'm not so lonely anymore."

"You were lonely before?" Mynera asked conversationally. She needed to talk, needed to fill the silence so she wouldn't focus on the agitation making her palms grow wet. "What of your family?"

"Mynera!" Saenar whispered harshly at her, elbowing her in the side.

"No, no, Saenar," Lord Ingstad said with a chuckle. "'Tis quite all right. You see, my dear, my wife and only daughter died a few years ago. They both grew sick and ever since then, I've been too stricken with grief to remarry. So I sought the comfort from those lovable four-legged creatures."

He veered down another lonely hallway, devoid of paintings or furniture. Their worn feet padded over a smooth, cold stone floor. "Those dogs make the void in my heart feel just a little bit smaller," he ended.

Mynera sighed silently. She hadn't meant to bring up such a painful past and, even with the light-hearted way he spoke, the air had grown even tenser. For a few seconds, she said nothing, not knowing what she could say to ease his mind. 

"I wanted a dog once," Mynera said, unable to keep the silence a second longer. "My father would never allow me to get one, however. He believed I wasn't mature enough to have one."

Lord Ingstad chuckled. "Sounds like a harsh man, your father. Dogs are more self-sufficient than you would think."

"They are, aren't they?" Mynera sighed dramatically. "It would be impossible to convince him of that, though."

Lord Ingstad laughed again and it brought a smile to Mynera's face. The smile slipped away a second later, however. Bittersweet happiness sprouted within her at the mention of her father. It hurt to think of him, to speak about him, to relive memories that had once angered her but now made her wish he was here. Yet, at the same time, she preferred to speak fondly of him rather than nurse that ever-growing need to avenge his death. 

Soon, Lord Ingstad came to a stop before a unadorned wooden door. He faced them without opening it, his dark eyes twinkling. "Wait here just one moment. I'll go and clear the area then I'll be back for you."

Without waiting for a response, he disappeared behind the door.

"Well ..." Hale started. "He seems ..."

"Yes, he is a bit off the rocker," Saenar agreed in a low voice. "But he is perfectly sane enough to understand the situation we're in and what to do."

"I wouldn't say off his rocker," Mynera said thoughtfully. "I think he's just unique."

Saenar lifted a brow at her. He didn't seem accusatory, not angry, not even wary. Just curious--which threw Mynera. "Weren't you the one who was wary of this man in the first place?"

"I never said I trusted him," Mynera explained. "I just said he was unique. Unique isn't always a good thing."

"Well, at least you have someone to identify with, Mynera," came Madeline's voice.

Mynera rolled her eyes at Madeline, not caring one wit if she saw. She was beginning to think the queen enjoyed getting on her bad side. "I would much rather being called unique than dry and bland."

"Are you calling me dry and bland?"

"Hush now. I think he's coming."

Sure enough, Lord Ingstad's head popped up from behind the door, successfully cutting whatever remark Madeline had, off. "I've just ran the servants to do other work. The coast is now clear."

He opened the door wider and allowed them to pass. It was a large court room, not impressive but quite befitting the Manor Ingstad. No doubt this was where Lord Ingstad took the complaints of the citizens of Posa Town. He sauntered forward and took his seat in the centre of the room.

"Uncle," Saenar began, coming to stand before the dais. "You know of the attack on the capital. You know that my father is no longer alive and that a usurper now sits on the throne."

"Yes," Lord Ingstad said grimly. "News travels fast in these parts. I've heard that the citizens of the capital are being held there. Whoever speaks one word against Lord Gavin will either be thrown into the dungeons or killed on spot, depending on how the guards are feeling. And they aren't feeling very generous of late."

"That's horrible," Madeline gasped.

"Indeed. I've also heard that the prince and the Lady Antarian managed to escape. I hadn't known it was you until I drew closer." Lord Ingstad looked at Mynera, regarding her steadily. "You are Lady Antarian, I assume?"

Mynera quickly attempted the best curtsy she could, given her attire. "Yes, my lord."

Lord Ingstad nodded. His eyes lingered for only a second before he turned his attention to Hale and Madeline. "I do not recognize the others."

"I am Hale Naiger," Hale said stepping forward and bowing. "My father is –"

"Lord Naiger from the capital, yes. I know of you, son. You are the nephew of the late queen Margaret. How fares your father?"

Hale, surprisingly, kept his face straight. "He is dead, my lord."

"Horrible, horrible." And then he was dismissed. Lord Ingstad looked at Madeline. "And you might be?"

Madeline stepped forward. She didn't curtsy. She didn't even attempt a minor bow. She looked Lord Ingstad straight into the eyes as she pulled the hood away from her face. "I am Queen Madeline, Queen of the Five Nations."

Lord Ingstad's eyes looked as if they were ready to bulge out of his head. He scrambled out of his chair and went down to one knee. "My queen. I deeply apologize for not recognizing you earlier."

Madeline lowered her eyes to him. In an instant, despite her clothing, despite all they'd been through in the past few weeks, she was every bit the queen. With the power to command a room with a single look, she'd brought Lord Ingstad to his knee. Mynera couldn't help being impressed. "'Tis quite all right," Madeline said. "That was my aim. This horrible getup would have all been in vain if you had recognized me prematurely. You may rise."

Lord Ingstad got to his feet, his head still bent and then, after bowing, returned to his seat.

"You have already clearly defined the state of our home city," Madeline continued. "So you must understand why we are here before you right now. 'Tis unsafe for us to be in the capital."

"Yes, yes." Lord Ingstad seemed to have recovered somewhat from his shock, though he swallowed harshly. "Your heads are wanted. Lady Antarian, Lord Gavin has put out a major reward for anyone who carries you back to the capital. All of Cyrello is out looking for you two. I reckon, even the other four Nations. The Queen and Lord Hale, however, are thought to be dead."

"That is why we are here, Uncle," Saenar said. "We have come to ask that you shelter us. 'Tis unsafe for us to be out there on our own. We are defenseless, and weaponless."

"You came all the way here to ask that I shelter you?"

"Yes, Uncle."

"Well, you need not ask, my prince. You are now fugitives. How will I face my dear friend Damon in heaven if I turned his son away?"

Saenar bowed, ever the stiff one. "You have my gratitude, Uncle."

Mynera and Madeline curtsied just as Hale bowed. "We are deeply grateful," Mynera said. "We know the risks we are putting you in."

"Oh, think nothing of it, child."

Lord Ingstad raised his large hands and clapped twice. After a moment, two female servants rushed in, heads bowed.

"Please show my guests to their rooms," Lord Ingstad commanded before looking back on the weary travelers. "I trust that you are tired and hungry after your long trip here. Refreshments will be constantly available in your bedchambers and supper will be served later tonight."

"Thank you again, Lord Ingstad," Saenar said, before allowing the servant to lead both him and Hale away.

The other servant faced Mynera and Madeline, her face professionally straight. "Please follow me."

They walked behind her, out of the small court room and down several winding corridors. "That was quite easy," Mynera commented. Much easier than it should have been. If what Lord Ingstad said was true, then they were wanted people. The usurper, sitting on the throne, would now command the king's army, and executed any who dared to oppose him. It wouldn't be easy for a minor lord to stand against him, but perhaps he truly did care for Saenar. Mynera tried to shove her cynical, distrusting thoughts aside.

"Yes, it was, wasn't it?" Madeline responded. "I suspect he has a little more sense after all."

She glanced over at Madeline. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well, merely that he knows exactly how he should act when before his queen. Do you not wonder what he would have said if I hadn't revealed myself?"

"I'm not sure." Mynera resisted the urge to sigh. The queen's royal hubris was something she would never grow accustomed to. "Something somewhere along the lines of what he said when you did reveal yourself."

"Oh, nonsense. He would not risk taking us in if it had not been for me."

"Yes, Queen Madeline. I'm sure, Queen Madeline."

"Is this my bedchambers?" Madeline asked as the servant stopped before a large, weathered door. "It better be suitable to my tastes. I would hate if the drapes did not match the bed linen."

"Have a nice rest, Madeline," Mynera called as Madeline headed inside.

The door closed without a response. Mynera didn't let it bother her. The servant continued to lead the way, and the sudden silence gave Mynera time to observe what was around her. Granted, there wasn't much to see except the stone walls and a few drab paintings, but both, she noticed, were looking a bit dusty. She ran her hand against the wall, and looked down at the layer of dust that coated her finger.

"Do you servants not clean up around here?" she asked.

The servnt girl jumped at the sound of Mynera's voice, as if she hadn't expected to be spoken to. "It is hard to clean everything, m'lady," she said quickly. "The help has become short and there just isn't enough manpower to clean everything in this huge manor."

Mynera frowned "Why does Lord Ingstad not hire more help then?"

"I ... I don't know if I should say, m'lady."

"What is your name?"

"Shea, m'lady."

"Well, Shea, I'm sure you wouldn't want me to go straight to Lord Ingstad himself and ask, now would you? I'm quite the curious type. And when he asks how I know, what should I say?"

Mynera watched the girl's face grow a bright shade of red. "H-he doesn't have enough money!" the servant blurted out quickly. 

Mynera held back a smile of triumph. "Doesn't have enough money? Are you saying he is becoming poor?"

"I don't know what he spends it on. I'm just a servant, I don't know that much." Clearly, it had not taken much to get the girl to say everything, not bothering to catch a breath. "But we servants do talk. Some say it's because he takes in all those dogs. More mouths to feed. Others say that he had spent all his money to find a cure for his wife's and daughter's sickness. Yet, it was to no avail."

"That's odd. So, he laid off some of his servants since he was unable to pay them, is that it?"

"Yes, m'lady." She stopped in front of a door. "Please don't tell Lord Ingstad I said anything. He'll have me fired, as well."

Mynera gave her a comforting smile. "Don't worry. My lips are sealed." It was the truth. She hadn't really plan on saying anything to Lord Ingstad; she only said that to wheedle information out of her.

The servant nodded and scurried away, leaving Mynera to ponder on what she just heard. It was not unusual to hear that a lord has squandered his riches. But she couldn't help thinking about the old man from earlier, and the way he had screeched at her. She frowned, wondering if there was some connection.

Mynera shook the thought from her head. There was no reason to think about that now. She was here, she was safe. She should relax. With that thought, she entered the room. 

It was well-sized and elegant. The drapes did indeed match the bed linen, a soft pink hue accentuated by the auburn rug laid underneath. To the very end of the room, sitting near the window was a vanity table, the wood shining brightly against the dull stone walls. A partition blocked off the wash area from the bedchambers, effectively slicing the massive room in two. In her opinion, the room was a bit too rosy for her taste but she was in no position to complain.

The moment Mynera noticed the tray of food resting on a table next to the bed, she could no longer focus on anything but her hunger. She hurried over, scooping bread into one hand while popping grapes into her mouth with the other. Desperately, she shoved the food into her mouth, not caring about how unladylike she was acting. Hunger pangs roared in response. 

Act like a lady. The thought whispered through her mind. They were words her father would have said, would have hissed angrily at her had she dared to eat like this in front of him. Picturing him in her mind calmed her.

She lowered onto the bed, eating at a slower pace. A small tear escaped the corner of her eye and blazed a trail down her cheek. She didn't want to think about it anymore. She didn't want to remember it. She didn't want to cry, because the weakness that brought only clouded her mind. Mynera knew she had to stay focused if she wanted to survive this pain.

So, she quickly finished eating then, deciding she was too tired to draw a bath, she dragged her dirty body into the clean bed, kicked her worn shoes off, and climbed under the sheets. There was no way she could be strong if she felt like passing out on her feet, she told herself.

She had been beginning to forget what a bed this good felt like after so long sleeping on the hard, cold ground. She hadn't felt this great in days. Mynera closed her eyes, sighing in contentment and soon enough, she fell fast asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4M 198K 78
"You told them you love me ,huh?" He asks with a raised eyebrows, jaw hardened and eyes narrowed at the shy girl he has hated all his life. She was a...
44.4K 2K 102
[COMPLETELY EDITED AND FINISHED] What happens when you fall in love with your enemy? Well you do know what happens, your family abandons you and all...
10.4K 753 57
Princess Adira never wanted to have a royal title, and she most certainly never wanted all the pressure that came with it. She just wanted to have th...
619 42 41
It's the year 2124. The technology has become very advanced. There are force fields up at the border of every state to ensure security. The force fie...