Once Upon A Dream (Thranduil...

By Icelandrose08

(Completed!) When Asgard sends its princess to Middle-Earth, Odin doesn't believe that she will remember anyt... More

Prologue
Part 1- Chapter 1-The Royalty of Asgard
Chapter 2-Middle Earth
Chapter 3-Home Away From Home
Chapter 5-Mirkwood Patrol
Chapter 6-Loki's Little Sister
Chapter 7-Treacherous Waters
Chapter 8-Black Apologies
Chapter 9-Blue Winter
Chapter 10-Different but The Same
Chapter 11-Letters to Asgard
Chapter 12-Spiders and Songs of Thanks
Chapter 13-Elven Afternoon Tea
Chapter 14-A Mother Never Forgets
Chapter 15-Valadhiel, Queen of Mirkwood
Chapter 16-The Falling and the Flying
Chapter 17-The Dance of the Elven People
Chapter 18-The Last Year
Chapter 19-Return to Asgard
Chapter 20-Dancing with Kings and Troubles with Princes
Chapter 21-The Asgardian Games
Chapter 22-Namaarie
Part 2- Chapter 23-The 'Little Pair'
Chapter 24-I Swear
Chapter 25-To Jotunheim
Chapter 26-As the World Falls Down
Chapter 27- Bloody Sunday
Chapter 28- In Between Dreams
Chapter 29- Will Power
Chapter 30- Tales of Times Past
Chapter 31- You're Not the Only One
Chapter 32- Awakening Love
Chapter 33- Passion and Aggression
Chapter 34- Of Myths and Lies
Chapter 35- Family Sins
Chapter 36- Where Hope Waits

Chapter 4-Royalty of Middle Earth

2.2K 78 26
By Icelandrose08

Catalina said goodbye to Iellwen and followed prince Legolas down the palace corridors. She had been looking forward to dinner, she hadn't eaten since the early morning.

"Prince-"

"You can just call me Legolas if you like." He said, evening his stride with hers.

"Okay. So in that case, you can just call me Catalina."

Legolas smiled, pleased, "were you going to ask me something?"

"Yes about this necklace," Catalina opened her palm to show Legolas the necklace, "it was in my room. It's not mine though."

"Oh, well, you'll just have to ask my father about it. I'm not sure." He turned his head away, hiding a smirk of sorts.

When they arrived in the dining room, Catalina's nerves began to stir up again, trying to remind herself of her manners, and the small dread of having to try new food.

The table was only set for four, and Catalina's stomach turned over. In Asgard, all of the warriors, castle officials, advisors and royals ate together. Here, it was clear that only the royal family dined here, and the others dined in a separate hall.
Catalina sat stiffly down in her chair, tensing up even more when the king's personal advisor strode into the room. When his eyes fell on her, she straightened her spine.

"I do not believe I have had the chance to meet the princess of Asgard." He said as King Thranduil entered the dining room.

"I see you were not present for her arrival, in that case you will have to inquire of her yourself. I will not introduce you." The king settled himself into his chair at the head of the table.

Catalina glanced over at Legolas who was giving the advisor an exasperated look.

"Princess, I am Veryangole, my lord's personal advisor. It is an honor to make your acquaintance my lady." He lightly kissed her knuckles, but Catalina could tell the words my lady were not common in his vocabulary. He spoke them sourly, as if Catalina did not look old enough to hold such a title as my lady. Nevertheless, Catalina inclined her neck,

"The same to you as well sir," she pulled her hand out of his grasp, not willing to leave it in the hands of a threat.

Veryangole sat down, his eyebrows furrowing, "Princess, your attire is interesting. Did you match my lord's evening clothes purposely?"

Catalina looked over to the king, who shifted uncomfortably in his seat. They realized that they did match. The king wore a velvet red robe and a black tunic with black boots. Catalina wore a dark red dress, with black trim and cuffs and black leather boots.

"I swear I didn't know, my lord I'm sorry." Catalina's heart began to speed up again, and her dislike for Veryangole increased.

"There is no reason to be sorry Princess, it was a mere coincidence. Veryangole, do not embarrass her so." He caught a glimpse of Catalina's flushed cheeks.

Veryangole frowned and turned his eyes away from her, and Catalina tried her best to stop blushing.

"So, Catalina," Legolas attempted to steer the conversation elsewhere. "I've heard that Asgard is much different than Middle-Earth. Is it true that all Asgardians are gods and goddesses?"

Catalina smiled at the slick conversation turn, and she always enjoyed talking about her home.
"No, that's not true. Only some are identified as gods. But all Asgardians are immortal though."

Legolas tilted his head at her in contemplation.
"How are gods identified?"

"Usually by the way they look. Sometimes they use their powers freely and it's obvious, but others are not so easy. You can tell sometimes by their face. Their eyes might have an unnatural shine, their hair will be smoother, or they'll just look the part." Catalina could see out of the corner of her eye Legolas observing her, then looking over at his father.

"Are you a goddess?" Legolas asked, trying not to sound too curious.

"Maybe. My father has not revealed it to me yet."

"What of your brothers?"

"Yes, they all are gods."

"What about-"

"Legolas," the king stopped his son from prying further.

Catalina observed the food that was set in front of her.
Yes, Asgard was much different from Middle-Earth. Asgard's meals were large, consisting mostly of meat, with vegetables being side dishes. Mead was the most prominent royal beverage. Wine was used only when royal guests from sister realms attended a ball or special event.
This particular elven meal didn't seem at all complex, it consisted of a vegetable broth with with truffles, other vegetables and boiled meat. A sort of way bread, known to elves as Lembas, accompanied the soup, along with red wine and other foods that Catalina could not identify.

"My lady do you drink wine?" The Elven king looked at her as a servant poured a dark red liquid into goblets.

"No my lord, I mean no offence, but my father advises me not to drink because I am a warrior." Veryangole gave her a low look, as if she was still childish, listening to her parents. "And I also never did like the taste."
The king nodded and slid a glass of water over to her.

"What position do you hold in the Asgardian army?"

"Commander of the guard, my brothers are all chiefs of the soldiers." Catalina attempted to actually eat her soup, all the while trying to understand the concept of a soup with barely any meat.

"You should accompany my guards and I on our daily patrols of the forest." Legolas smiled over at her, his blue eyes lighting up. "You are going to be here for ten years, you might as well make yourself useful."

Catalina swallowed, an excitement filling her heart. She looked over to the king for approval.

"If you so desire, you may."

"Yes my lord I think I would enjoy that very much."

"Re sloaya sen ndu, (she would slow them down)" Veryangole leaned closer to the king, attempting to sway him in his decision.

Legolas and Catalina looked at each other and smirked.
"Ta naa il- poli quen- behinin er's n'alaquel, ner ri' n'ner e' ale'quel en' sen. (It is not polite to speak behind one's back, much less in front of them)"

Veryangole nearly choked on his wine and gave Legolas a uncouth look. The prince in turn raised his hands in pure innocence.

"How do you know the Elven language?"

"I learned it a few hundred years ago. I'm fluent in it now."

Veryangole sputtered, trying to think of something to redeem his dignity.
"Well I see you still haven't become fluent in Elven ways. You've barely touched your food."

"She comes from a place that doesn't eat soup, they eat meat Veryangole. Leave her be." Legolas chewed a mushroom from his soup.

"Hunting is frowned upon here. Ugh, I'd wager her 'god' brothers are merely fat pigs." Veryangole mumbled to himself. He continued eating, but stopped suddenly when a dagger landed, its point down in the table, right between his thumb and forefinger; it did not touch his skin.

Everyone looked over at Catalina, who casually sat back in her seat, her arms and legs crossed.

"If there is one thing that you should know about me, it is that I can listen and take whatever insults you throw at me, but if you insult my brothers or the rest of my family, you will be truly sorry." Catalina stood up and pulled the dagger out of the table. "I shall take my leave now," she said and bowed to the king.

"Now listen here you-"

"Enough!" King Thranduil stopped his advisor from advancing on the princess, "Veryangole, I do not want to hear anymore out of you for the rest of the evening." He turned to Catalina, who was still standing near, dagger in hand. "The guards will be leaving at seven o'clock tomorrow morning sharp. Legolas will meet you outside of your bedroom to show you the way. That is all." Catalina bowed to him and made her way out of the dining hall.

"Did anyone see her throw that dagger?" Legolas, who had been all the while been eating quietly, pushed away his empty bowl.

"Yes I did," the king said, stirring his glass of wine.

"My lord, why didn't you say something?" Veryangole started.

"Did I permit you to speak in my presence?" King Thranduil stood up, "I do not want you to say anything to or about her that is disrespectful. I certainly do not want to be going to war with Asgard either. My own father worked long and hard for an alliance with Asgard, and I do not want to spoil it because you could not keep your tongue in check. So keep your mouth shut while she is around you or I shall have you removed from your position as advisor. Do I make myself clear?"

Veryangole lowered his head, "you do my lord."

"And if you have anything further to say about her, you say it to me with no one to hear. Am I clear?"

"Yes my lord," Veryangole sat in his seat, defeated, as the Elven king left the dining hall.

"I am sorry to say it sir, but the princess is much prettier, and is a better warrior than you are. You wouldn't stand a chance against her in war." Legolas smiled.

"Why, you-" Veryangole gritted his teeth and scowled as Legolas sauntered away.

*******

Catalina sat alone in her room, holding the necklace she had found in the jewelry box. She hadn't gotten the chance to speak to the king about it, mainly because his advisor had struck a bad chord with her, and she had left dinner early.

"My lady are you alright? I heard you had a bit of a disagreement with the king's advisor." Iellwen entered the princess's room carrying a pitcher of water that she set on the bedside table.

"I'm alright, I just didn't get to ask the king about the necklace." Catalina held up the rose pendant, the diamond in the middle giving off a spectacular sparkle.

"There will be other opportunities, I'm sure." The maid smiled and closed the open windows.

Catalina's ears picked up the sound of music outside her doors, "what is that?"

"Those are the harp players. They play every night near the center of the kingdom so that all can hear. Would you like to see them?"

Catalina nodded and followed Iellwen outside, and down a path that led directly to the center of the Elven kingdom, with the sounds of the harps growing clearer. On the ground floor, Catalina caught sight of the Elven king, his long eyelashes fluttering as he tried his best to stay awake; and Catalina couldn't blame him. The harps could very well put one who is exhausted to sleep, easily at that. He opened his eyes and looked over at the princess as she came down the steps. Catalina bowed to him, and he beckoned for her to sit on the bench near his.

"I would like to apologize for my advisor's actions this evening. He can be quite rude at times."

"It's alright," Catalina watched a young elf gracefully pluck the strings of a harp. She fidgeted, wondering if she would properly be able to ask the king about the necklace.

"You have something on your mind Highness." The king turned his blue eyes to Catalina's perplexed expression, realizing for the first time since her arrival that she did not remember.

"Well my lord, I found this in my room. I was wondering if it belonged to anyone; maybe the person who occupied the room before me?" Catalina opened her palm to reveal the necklace, sparkling in the lantern light.

"My lady, your room has never been occupied by anyone else but yourself. That necklace belongs to you. View it as a welcome gift."

Catalina looked at the gorgeous jewel and chain. She couldn't, they were too beautiful.

"I can't," she whispered, mostly to herself. But the Elven king heard it and he took the necklace and carefully placed it around her neck, on top of the locket that already lived on the princess's neck.

"It is a gift from me to you. Welcome."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

116K 3.9K 23
Loki needs time away from Asgard to find himself, choosing to visit one of the most remote beauty destinations on Midgard - the arctic circle. Y/N r...
30.4K 492 61
A Princess named Rebecca,Daughter of Thor and Jane will some day rule Asgard. She is 16 years old.Loki gets released from prison after 17 years and l...
24.9K 861 34
(Loki X Reader) [COMPLETED] y/n, princess of Etiof, arrives on Asgard as a child after escaping from her kingdom, helped by one of her mother's ladie...
3.5K 63 6
*NO LONGER UPDATING* WARNING: 18+ SMUT/LOVESTORY Loki Laufeyson x Reader (Y/N) After noticing a rather attractive woman in the lift up to stark's pen...