Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me โœ“

By LonimiMeseko

"So this was all just a game to you . . .this whole time, you pretended to like me in order to humiliate me i... More

Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me
[ 1 ] So much for eating those tacos
[ 2 ] I am not the one to blame
[ 3 ] I should've known better
[ 4 ] Expectations vs. Reality
[ 5 ] This is going to be a long senior year
[ 6 ] So not how I had pictured my swagger walk
[ 7 ] You could cut our tension with a knife
[ 8 ] Operation sneak out of the house is on the roll
[ 9 ] Thank God I wore a black dress to the party
[ 10 ] Girlfight?
[ 11 ] One big soap opera coming to life
[ 12 ] Running away is what I usually do best
[ 13 ] I am doomed
[ 14 ] Unfinished Business
[ 15 ] The Sidam Touch
[ 16 ] You can't talk some sense into a senseless person
[ 17 ] Drunken words are sober thoughts
[ 18 ] Double-crossed Part One
[ 19 ] Double-crossed Part Two
[ 20 ] Mom of the year? I think not
[ 21 ] Halloween Night
[ 22 ] War has been declared
[ 23 ] I'll pick you up at six
[ 24 ] After 200 years . . . it was about time
[ 25 ] Birds of a feather flock together
[ 27 ] A B A P
[ 28 ] I n t e r m i s s i o n
[ 29 ] Monday, you're going to profess your undying love for me?
[ 30 ] Safe? The irony
[ 31 ] I'll officially walk out of your life
[ 32 ] New Year's Eve
[ 33 ] The Camp Trip - Part One
[ 34 ] The Camp Trip - Part Two
[ 35 ] Trouble in Paradise
[ 36 ] Boys vs. Girls
[ 37 ] Leave it to you guys to make me the third wheel
[ 38 ] The End
[ 39 ] DEAN - 1st Bonus Chapter
[ 40 ] ANTHONY - 2nd Bonus Chapter

[ 26 ] Revelations

188K 4.8K 5.8K
By LonimiMeseko

[For future references]

At the beginning of chapter 21, after meeting her mom and fiancé at the café, Emery ended up meeting one of her dad's employees named Melvin. 

➴        ➵      ➴       ➵     ➴     ➵

C H A P T E R

T W E N T Y   S I X

We end up postponing the date until tomorrow night once I inform him of my plans with Anthony for tonight.

He refuses to reveal where the date would take place since he wanted it to be a surprise. It's cute and all but the one thing I don't like is a surprise. If he discloses the location, I mentally would've planned the ideal outfit to wear.

When I interrogate him of how I should be dressed for the occasion, the only response I get from him is to wear something casual.

It's driving me insane, not knowing where he's taking me.

After our conversation, we disperse and head to our respective class.

➴        ➵       ➴      ➵      ➴       ➵

I don't expect Aaliyah to come and talk to me after the last period of school. As many students were dashing off to the exit doors of Roosevelt High, I was arranging my books in my locker up until I saw her approaching figure.

She cautiously glances around like she's in some mystery detective movie.

My face contorts with suspicion.

"What do you want?" I query in a moment of bafflement. "Is there something I can help you with?"

Her lips set in a hard line before she rolls her eyes. "I know we're not exactly on speaking terms but climb off that high horse of yours will yah?"

A blank expression colors my expression, as I'm unable to fathom her statement since I sounded anything but argumentative.

"Look," she begins in ambivalence. "I know we're not friends right now but I just thought that you should watch your back around Stacey."

Although I'm touched by her concern despite the way we ended things, her forewarning isn't any news to me. That is due to the fact that, I'm already aware of how to act around the she-devil.

"Let me guess?" I trail off, my voice laced with bitterness. "You guys were talking shit about me earlier."

Her silence is all the answer I need.

An abrupt look of offence adorns her face before she tightens her jaw. "If you're entailing that I'd bad-mouth you regardless of where we currently stand, then that means you never really knew me well enough to begin with.

"Stacey was the one who came to me and just straight up bashed you out, thinking that I'd be keen to do the same after the blowout. She disclosed how she couldn't wait until you finally got what was coming to you. When I asked her to elaborate, she told me that she didn't trust me enough to reveal anything because she was afraid I'd tell you."

My eyebrows draw together.

Tormenting me is becoming Stacey's obsession and for that, she needs to be hospitalized. I decide not to let this piece of information get to me and briefly nod my head in appreciation.

She could've kept it to herself but despite everything she didn't and it shows that she still cares.

"Thanks for letting me know. Stacey's just being delusional since she thinks that Lina is out to get me because I'm seeing Noel, whom Stacey thinks Lina has a crush on." I disclose derisively.

Aaliyah raises a quizzical brow. "Is that what Stacey told you?"

I nod my head. "She came to me earlier out of nowhere, claiming that I should watch my back around Lina because she's had a crush on him for a long time and how she was planning on backstabbing me. I confronted Lina and turns out, Stacey's full of shit. Big surprise there."

She doesn't seem convinced as she shakes her head. "Something doesn't add up...

"I mean if Stacey was talking about her then why would she allegedly give you her full input on Evangelina's target whereas she vaguely spoke to me about it by withholding her name and claiming that it was confidential? This clearly means that she wasn't talking about the same thing when she came up to me. "

My reaction is plain apprehensive. I feel dense after what she's just said. Gosh, Stacey really couldn't go on a day without making my life a living hell.

"I'm going to infiltrate myself in Stacey's group," she announces, "so I can gather some more information regarding what she told me. I can't be seen talking to you because I want Stacey to think that she can trust me."

This revelation takes me aback. I didn't think she was that determined to help me.

An incredulous look clouds my face. "You don't need to do that, I can handle whatever Stacey's planning on doing."

For the second time in a row, Aaliyah rolls her eyes. "Stop thinking that you can handle everything on your own. Even if we're not friends, I'm not going to sit here and allow Stacey to possibly humiliate you again when I have the tools to prevent it from happening."

"Aaliyah, you're the one who made the decision to end our friendship so I really don't see how you should be involved." I clarify in a detached tone.

"Let me clarify," she begins grimly, "you're the one who tossed our friendship aside like it was nothing because you made me choose between my boyfriend whom you know I'm serious about and you. So frankly, you're the one to blame."

I feel like every time we end up discussing about what transpired during Halloween night, we always turn around in circles. When I try to make her see my point of view, it backfires because she's completely aloof.

Before I can open my mouth to speak, the source of our problem is heading in our direction.

Once Luke's within hearing distance, he regards me in a belligerent way as he wraps an arm around his girlfriend. "I hope this isn't what I think it is."

"I'm not breaking up with you babe." She reassures him, face wiped clean of emotion.

With a raised brow, Luke swiftly darts a glance from Aaliyah to me. "Then why are you guys talking? If I remember correctly, didn't she stupidly threaten to end her friendship with you if we didn't break up?" Aaliyah is about to respond but I quickly take it upon myself to interject.

"Keep talking like I'm not in the room you freaking has-been." I grouse, my nerves already on edge.

His pupils flare. "I was planning on doing so until you decided to open that big mouth of yours."

My body curves into a defensive position and before I can put him in his place, Aaliyah steps in between us to prevent an upcoming dispute. "You guys need to stop this nonsense. For Christ's sake, you both can just ignore the other instead of arguing all the freaking time. It's really starting to piss me off."

Luke's face contorts into a callous expression, as he eyes me. "Well, sorry to break it to you babe, but it's hard to ignore trash when it's right in front of you."

All she does is sigh in defeat. I try my hardest not to let his comment as well as the fact that she doesn't come to my defence (for the second time in row) affect me.

Sticking my nose in the air, I manage to laugh which puzzles him. "It's funny that you say that because that statement is coming from you."

An abrupt look of defeat clouds his features. Knowing him, he's definitely not one to back out of an argument and he'll stop at nothing to have the last word.

"You wanna know the opinion I have of you? It's called fuck off and it's located over there." He motions to the exit door of our school.

A corner of my mouth quirks up. "Since you want to talk about locations..." I pause to retrieve my phone from my pocket.

While it takes a few seconds to search for the Google Maps application on my device, Luke gawks at me.

"What the fuck is she doing?" he queries in a moment of confusion.

Aaliyah doesn't respond, as she too appears to be just as lost as her boyfriend is.

Once I open the application, I outstretch my right hand well enough for him to see my phone screen. Disregarding their incredulous looks, I raise my forefinger on my left hand to point towards the mapping mobile app. "Locate to me exactly the place where I asked for your opinion earlier."

Involuntarily, Aaliyah ends up busting into laughter. She quickly composes herself once Luke bores holes into her skull. She reaches out to comfort him but he brusquely rebuffs her gesture.

"I didn't mean to laugh babe, please don't be mad." She pleads but Luke continues to glare at her. "Fuck off." he snarls before swivelling around to the opposite direction, with Aaliyah following suit like a sheep following it's shepherd.

I don't even want to think about what I just witnessed. Why does she put up with someone like him? The question will forever stay a mystery.

Subsequently, I proceed to retrieve my handbag and textbook from my locker before dialling Anthony's number.

After three rings, he picks up.

"Emery where are you?" He inquires from the other line.

"I was about to ask you the same thing." I begin in a perplexed tone. "I thought we were going to meet up at my locker after school before heading to your house."

For a moment he doesn't say anything, which leads me to believe that he hung up. "I know but finally, I sent you a text saying to meet me at the parking lot."

After we disagree on how I didn't get his text and him affirming that he did, we end up bickering unnecessarily before I end the phone call.

I saunter my way to the parking lot as he requested. Once I spot his figure from a distance, I become apprehensive at what's about to come. As per usual, Natalie and Anthony are indulged in another one of their heated arguments. From the looks of it, they seem to have been at it for a long time.

"Hop off my dick, I never led you on. I'm sick and tired of always hearing my name come out of your mouth whenever you trash-talk me in front of others." I hear Anthony yell at her once they're within my hearing distance.

"It's better to let others think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it." Natalie retaliates in a cool tone. She seems relaxed and unbothered as opposed to Anthony.

Here we go again.

They don't even notice my presence as they continue to bicker like an old married couple. I insert myself in between them to prevent things from spinning out of control. "Guys please don't do this now."

Both finally acknowledge me before Anthony speaks up. "Then tell your friend here to stop saying bad things about me to others because it's seriously making her look desperate."

"For the last time —"

"Enough!"

When they finally quit being at each other's throat, Anthony withdraws to open the door of his Jeep, a few steps away.

"Let's go Emery," he orders after bringing the car to life, "the sooner we finish this project the sooner we can discard it."

Dismissing him, I regard Natalie with a worried expression. "You're okay?"

Natalie shrugs in nonchalance. "I don't have a reason not to be."

In moments like this, I truly admire how she carries herself in an uncaring and poised manner after arguing with someone. One wouldn't even think that she was involved in a dispute seconds ago.

"I hope you guys reconcile soon because things are just spinning way out of control."

She snorts. "Not until you reconcile with Aaliyah."

The mention of her name makes me disclose my encounter with Aaliyah and the things she told me. Even if Natalie wears a look of pure disgust when I reveal the things Stacey told Aaliyah, she can't help but grin towards the fact that we spoke.

"You see," Natalie alludes. "I told you she still cared about you and she's willing to protect you from Stacey despite the fact that you guys aren't friends."

The horn of Anthony's car intercedes.

"Emery this car's not gonna drive itself."

I roll my eyes but end up exchanging goodbyes with Nat who decides to flip him the bird and I bust into laughter.

Lost in my thoughts, I sling my bag in the back seat before sliding in the passenger seat. After we pull out of the school's parking lot, I remember to send my dad a text of my whereabouts.

In the midst of typing, Anthony gains my attention.

"So you and Noel uh?"

My cheeks instantly heat up. I try my best to cover them with my hair.

In a brief moment, Anthony inches forward to the stirring wheel to get a better view of my reaction.

"Aw, are you blushing?" he coos before chuckling.

Summoning a venomous look, I raise my arm with a clenched fist in an attack gesture. "No I'm not, you're delusional." With his eyes on the road, he laughs at my outburst.

He continues to tease me and joke around and eventually my mouth curves into a smile.

"What about Dean?" he queries out of nowhere and my smile instantly vanishes.

My expression hardens. "What about him?"

Anthony gives me a don't-try-to-fool me look before redirecting his gaze to the front. "He told you he was jealous, doesn't that count for something?"

I choose not to say anything because I know that once I start talking about Dean, I'll end up becoming vexed.

After he steers the car to the left, he briefly glances at the rear-view mirror as he says, "Do you love him?"

Astonishment overtakes my face. "Of course I don't love De—"

Anthony interjects. "I'm talking about Noel, Em."

"What brought this on?" I query in a moment of confusion. "Why are you so interested in my love life?"

"You didn't answer the question."

"It's too soon to tell..."

He shakes his head. "Want to know what I think?"

"I really don—"

He interrupts me for the second time in a row. "I think that deep down, you only see him as a friend."

I purse my lips disapprovingly. "I think you're way out of line. It is not your place to assume what I feel for him..."

Anthony raises a hand in a surrendering gesture. "As your best friend, I have to say it like it is. I know it's not what you want to hear but at least I'm being honest with you."

"You're being way too honest for my liking."

His lips just tighten into a stern line and we drive the rest of the way in silence. It's not like I asked for his input so I don't understand why he thinks it's okay to assume what I'm feeling.

He brakes in front of his house a few minutes later. Surveying the modern homes around, I can't help but compare them to Evangelina's house.

"Shit, not again." Anthony mutters under his breath, his eyes fixated at the scenery through the windscreen. It's not until I follow his gaze that my eyes widen.

Just a block away, a huge commotion is displayed consisting of a familiar middle-aged man and Dean. The fact that Dean and Anthony live in the same neighbourhood isn't what's surprising to me.

Just weeks ago, after the meeting with my mom's fiancé at a café, my dad introduced me to one of his customers by the time I came home. I didn't really take the time to scrutinize him and I end up regretting it because, I missed on the fact that he looked like an older version of Dean. Even with the windows winded up, I can hear the hollers being exchanged between them.

"Oh gosh, that's Dean's dad isn't it?"

"Unfortunately." Anthony confirms. "I swear his dad is fucked up, you have no idea."

"What do you think they're arguing about?" I inquire, feeling like I'm in a front row seat of some action movie.

"Probably has something to do with the team's upcoming basketball match with our school's rivalry," He continues to explain the situation on how their match against the BlackLions is putting Dean's dad on edge because our school's team have lost matches against them, on several occasions.

Anthony also goes on to say. "His dad puts a ton amount of pressure on Dean like crazy, it's fuckin' insane. He wants nothing more than Dean to end up playing at the NBA because that's something he could never achieve as a teen."

I observe as Dean struts to his car and violently bursts the door open with his dad not too far behind. His dad doesn't allow Dean to start the vehicle as he holds a firm grip on the opened door.

"Let's get inside." He suggests before we end up exiting the Jeep. Anthony takes it upon himself to greet Dean's dad whereas I just stand behind him hoping to be unnoticed.

"Hey Mr. Darnell!"

He manages to gain their attention.

Mr. Darnell rearranges his features before offering Anthony a curt nod. "Hello!" is his cold response.

Dean who looks like he'd like to be anywhere but here, abruptly horns the car. "Dad, please give me my keys."

"If you try that stunt again, I'll make sure to throw your keys in the fireplace." Mr. Darnell warns him and brusquely throws the car keys on his son's face before taking his retreat. He doesn't even acknowledge my presence before striding to the electronic gate of his house. After composing a code on the security pad, he steps into the courtyard before disappearing from sight.

"Dude, are you okay?" Anthony doesn't hesitate to ask him once Mr. Darnell is out of sight.

Dean just lolls his head into the headrest as he stares into space. "I fucking hate him, I swear I'm gonna file for emancipation—" he pauses once he remembers that I'm in his presence. "Please ask her to leave!"

I don't dare to say anything and just stand there in observation. He just got into a huge fight with his dad and at any moment, he could throw an outburst at anyone in particular.

Anthony gives me an apologetic look.

"It's fine I'll g—"

"Fuckin' leave already." Dean hollers out of nowhere. "All I see is your face everywhere I go. . ."

As much as I want to retaliate, I don't. Knowing that opening my mouth will only piss him off all the more, I quietly take my retreat before strolling towards Anthony's porch.

Anthony accompanies me and helps me gain access to his house. He apologizes for Dean's attitude and ushers me to his room before I end up slouching on his bed.

His room is awfully neat for a teenage boy's room with his bed neatly made and clothes cordially arranged in his black wardrobe.

"Where are your folks?"

An unreadable expression clouds his features. "Working."

At his brief response, I remember him once disclosing about feeling like he didn't have any parents due their busy schedules in the Ob-gyn department, meaning they're never home. He usually invites his friends over but rarely hosts a party.

Despite having a detachment with his folks, Anthony and his older brother are close.

"Where's Aden?"

Anthony regards me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Gosh, I thought you got over your crush on him?"

With a pillow in my hand, I fling it in his direction. Of course, silly me forgets about his quick reflex, which makes it easy for him to catch the pillow instantly. He ends up bursting into laughter.

Back in 9th grade, I always fled in the presence of his insanely attractive brother whenever I came over to do a project with Anthony. Anthony would always tease me about it in front of his brother and I always got embarrassed.

"You know I got over it." I state in annoyance.

Once he cools off, he raises his hands in a surrendering gesture. "Whatever floats your boat."

He continues to tease me about it for  a while.

"I'm stepping out but I'll be back soon so we can start working on the project." He announces a few minutes later before he takes his retreat.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out where he's going.

➴       ➵      ➴      ➵     ➴      ➵

Around eight o'clock, I arrive home after staying at Antony's. He really surprised me as we got to work together on the project because he almost knew the answer to every question on the lab report when most of the time, I didn't.

I exchange greetings with my dad whose eyes are glued to the television as usual. Upon darting a glance on the screen, I uncover that he's watching some extremely violent mafia movie.

My dad unexpectedly pauses the movie. "The movie's rated 18+ Emery."

I roll my eyes. If he knew the kind of movies I watched in my room at night, I bet he wouldn't say anything.

After grabbing a snack in the kitchen, I make my way to my bedroom. I pause on track upon hearing my dad's voice.

"Sweetie, do you remember my friend Melvin?"

I freeze at the mention of Dean's dad. Gosh, why would my dad bring up his name at a time like this?

Just why?

Pretending like I don't recall his name, I furrow my eyebrows.

My dad goes on to say, "You know. . . a couple of weeks ago I introduced you to one of my clients?"

"Oh yeah, him." Is the monotonous response I give him.

"Well, Melvin and his fiancé were kind enough to invite me to this basketball appreciation party that they're hosting tomorrow at their place." He begins. "It'll be great if you could come along, since it turns out his son goes to your school. I'm sure you know him, I think his name was Dean of some sort—"

"He's popular in our school but we're not friends." I interject harshly.

His eyes widen with enthusiasm. "At least it's great you've heard of him."

My jaw tightens. "Dad, it's a basketball appreciation party meaning basketball athletes and their parents invited only."

"Indeed, Melvin told me that." My dad says in a matter-of-fact tone. "But he insisted that I come and it's kind of like his way of thanking me for all the things I've done for him. I don't intend to stay there all night, but it wouldn't hurt to stop by. Besides, I also insist that we go. It would be the perfect opportunity for you to get to know his kids better. "

Is this fates way of torturing me? Why did our dads have to be friends? Now that they were friends, Mr. Darnell would probably keep inviting my dad and I to his house and I'd always have to find an excuse to avoid running into Dean.

This is not fair.

"Dad, I can't come."

He stares at me in a moment of puzzlement.

An overwhelming feeling of nervousness surges within. "I've been meaning to tell you... I'm going on a date tomorrow night."

The color drains out of his face. I expect him to throw an outburst but instead, he keeps his calm. "Who is he?"

"He's part of the school's football team..." I disclose edgily. "He's one of the good guys dad."

"I'll be the judge of that." Dad uses an authoritative tone. "What time will you be going and where is he taking you?"

I heave my shoulders. "At six pm and he wants it to be a surprise."

All he does is nod and an uncomfortable silence reigns afterwards. When I thought I had as relationship with Dean around the age of fourteen, I never dared to let my dad know about it because he would have disowned me at the time.

I take getting scolded by my dad over going to the ABAP any day.

"I'd like to have a chat with him before you head off. Let's hope he doesn't live up to my expectations which are quite negative at the moment."

My whole face lights up.

I can't believe he's allowing me to go. I rush to his direction to give him a huge embrace. He lectures me on how he wants me back home before curfew. I inwardly don't pay much attention to his lecture since I can't believe he trusts me enough to allow me to go out on a date.

The next day at school, I'm in a good mood. Throughout the day, everyone has been talking about the ABAP but all I could think about was the date.

Later at night, I get ready for the occasion at a quarter past five. After moments of contemplating what outfit to wear, I end up wearing a black high neck crop top and jeans to match with white tubular shoes.

I apply some eyeliner and mascara before tying my hair into a high ponytail after straightening them.

The doorbell rings five minutes before five, and that's when I can feel my heartbeat accelerate ten times faster. As I dispose my phone in my small handbag, I can hear their voices from upstairs, which increases my level of distress.

By the time I arrive downstairs, the sight of my dad scrutinizing Noel greets me. Noel stands there in a cold sweat and I can't help but chuckle. His eyes light up once he darts a glance in my direction.

"I want her here before ten o'clock." My dad behests with an assertive tone. "And if you try anything funny on her, I will—"

"Okay dad, I think he gets it." I intercede but can't help but grin. Since he's been assessing Noel for the past couple of minutes, he finally regards me. "You're not stepping out of this house until you put a jacket on"

I groan in annoyance. "But dad—"

"No buts! Either you put on a jacket or you stay home."

Before I can take my retreat, Noel takes off his bomber jacket to dispose it around my shoulders and I stare at him in awe. "She can wear my jacket for the night." Noel tells him.

My dad sighs in defeat. "Fine, you kids have fun."

After we exchange farewells, Noel ushers me to his vehicle before opening the door for me.

What a gentleman.

I thank him and he throws me a grin.

"Your dad's scary," Noel remarks once he pulls out of my driveway, "he coerced me into revealing where I'll be taking you."

I erupt into laughter. "You looked like you were about to die back there."

He feigns a look of offence. "You enjoy seeing me squirm don't you?"

Once I calm down, I briefly ruffle his hair as I say. "It's cute because I'm usually used to your arrogant side. My dad is very protective of me and I love him for it. And honestly, I didn't think he'd allow this date to happen."

He looks shocked for a brief second before summoning a mischievous look. "It's a good thing then."

Throughout the car ride, we tease each other and he'd give jokes every now and then making me laugh as well. It moments like this that really make me enjoy his company.

"Can you please tell me where we're going?" I plead a few minutes later. "The curiosity is killing me."

Amusement crosses his face. "Patience is a virtue."

"So is impatience."

He chuckles and brings the car to an abrupt halt at a traffic light. Out of nowhere, he reaches out to clasp his hands on either side of my face while holding my gaze. His lips suddenly brush mine and as much as I want to pull away, the kiss obliterates my thoughts.

The caress of his lips is enough to drive me over the edge and my heart flatters. When we break apart for air a few seconds later, I press my forehead against his and the sight of his smirk greets me.

"You look extremely beautiful tonight, I should've said it soon enough." As the words roll out of his tongue, I sink inside his hold and become speechless for a while.

He detaches his hands from my face to place them back on the stirring wheel.

His smirk says it all.

It's undeniable; he has an effect on me. We could be in a fight and just a simple kiss could destabilize me and make me lose all train of thoughts.

Ten minutes pass before we pull up outside a building, consisting of a sizable bowling neon sign. Subsequently, Noel parks his car before we step out.

My eyes light up but at the same time, nerves surges up within. The last time I went bowling was with Camilla and her boyfriend Derek, last summer.

They were both good at the game especially Derek who always hit a strike. He used to mock my poor techniques because I was never awarded with a strike or a spare.

"I love bowling but I suck at it." I warn Noel as we stroll over to the entrance of the building.

Noel wears an amused expression. "It's easy and besides, if you have any problems I'll help you out."

Once we step into the building, the thunderous sounds of bowling balls travels through my ear. The place is unbelievably crowded on a Thursday night. Groups of kids our age enjoy rounds of bowling while their laughter and chitter-chatters dominate the room.

I purse my lips. "This is so not fair. I know you're gonna beat me but for my sake, could you please let me win the first round, pretty please?" I use puppy dog eyes to persuade him.

An abrupt awe expression transforms his face. "Fine, I'll let you win the first round but that's that."

I can't contain my overexcitement and end up jumping into his arms which makes him chuckle. I untangle myself from him and head over to the cash register. When it's time to pay for the tickets, Noel insists that he pay for the both of us.

After the cashier reserves an aisle for us through the computer, we rent bowling shoes and put them on before entering the bowling arena.

Noel picks a bowling ball in the rack before he positions himself in front of the aisle. As promised, he intentionally underperforms to increase my chances of winning the first round.

Once I walk up to the foul line, I end up knocking down six pins. During the second ball of frame, I fail to achieve a spare.

Noel and I laugh at my lack of technic.

"We're not stepping out of this building until you learn how to strike." He says determinedly.

I snort. "Well good luck with that." I genuinely appreciate the fact that not everything is a competition to him.

Even if by the fourth round he has the upper hand on the scoreboard, he goes out of his way to teach me how to position my knees and arm during the swing cycle.

He's so determined to teach me how to maintain a consistent swing motion for longer intervals. And, his determination makes him miss the way my cheeks aflame, due to the way he wraps his arms around me to help my level of coordination.

For the past hour, we continue to bowl while teasing each other. He constantly tries to flirt and I go along with it whereas, I would've done the exact opposite months ago.

Everything is going well up until; I remind myself that all good things must come to an end.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Noel Anderson." An unfamiliar voice travels within our hearing distance and Noel's body instantly curves into a defensive position.

Upon whirling around, I identify the source of the voice. A guy with a light skin tone, who probably has the same 6'2 height as Dean, stands before me. His hair is shaved in a perfect style and he appears to be built. The guy is without a doubt handsome as hell but the callous look on his face, obliterates the thoughts I have of his appearance.

"Quentin." Noel sneers with bitterness, his eyes boring holes through his skull.

Quentin darts a glance from Noel to me before summoning a vicious grin on his face. "I knew it's been a while since I last stepped foot in Roosevelt High but damn, I now see why everyone's been talking about the beef between you and Dean."

Noel immediately steps in front, slightly blocking my view of him. "How's the Parkland life treating you? Do you still sell drugs for a living there or did you get kicked out and were obliged to change school for the second time in a row."

Based on Quentin's reaction, I can tell Noel touched a nerve.

He tightens his jaw, with nothing but rage in his eyes. "You talk like a fucking idiot Anderson."

"Of course I'm talking like an idiot, how else would you understand me?"

A look of disdain overtakes Quentin's features before his lips curve into a smirk. "Since we're talking about the past, it seems to me that your girlfriend here has forgiven you, am I right or am I wrong?" He gestures at me and that's when Noel becomes limp on the spot.

My forehead creases. "What the hell is he talking about?"

Noel doesn't answer me, which only intensifies the look of victory on Quentin's face.

"By the way sweetheart," Quentin addresses me for the first time tonight. "I forgot what your name was? Remember me?"

The night is just getting more and more confusing by the minute. How does this supposedly stranger know me when I've never met him before in my life?

Noel speaks up before I can respond. "Princeton, leave her out of this."

Quentin seems to have the upper hand as he crosses his hands across his shirt. "I will... for now.

"I want you to pass over a message to the Redhawks. Tell the basketball team in your school, that they should drop out of the competition while they still can. If they care enough about their reputation, they won't risk getting humiliated and end up getting defeated by us for the third time in a row."

Noel narrows his eyes. "Never in hell will they drop out. And I can't wait till they finally defeat you this year, then you'll finally get to know how it feels like to have your ass handed to you on a silver platter."

A depraved chuckle escapes his throat. "Don't say I didn't warn you and this isn't over Anderson."

"Believe me, I'm counting on it."

Quentin swivels around but before he can take his retreat, he casts a glance over his shoulder. "Oh and Anderson, I'd definitely tap your girlfriend."

Noel prepares to swing for him, but I instantly pull him backwards to calm him down. Even what Quentin said disgusts me; I don't forgot about what the hint he threw earlier.

"Is there something you're not telling me Noel?" I query in a moment of vexation.

A brief look of fear crosses his face. "That guy is nothing but trouble Emery, don't listen to a word he says."

Before I can open my mouth, he interrupts me. "For once in your life, please drop it." He doesn't snap at me, more like pleads.

Subsequently, he turns around to head towards the exit door of the building.

As I watch his retreating back, I know something big is about to come but I'm just not ready to face it yet.

➴       ➵      ➴      ➵    ➴      ➵

What important role do you guys think Quentin plays in the story?

What do you guys think is about to happen in the following chapters?

This gorgeous cover was made by @exquisitepastel

Thanks you so much.

This beautiful cover was made by @Mia_Swiftie . Thanks so much.

And last but not least, this amazing banner was made by justLIVE_

Thank you so much guys, I love them all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 225 34
๐™’๐™๐™–๐™ฉ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ช๐™ก๐™™ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™™๐™ค ๐™ž๐™› ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™›๐™š๐™ก๐™ก ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™– ๐™˜๐™ค๐™ข๐™– ๐™–๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ ๐™š ๐™ช๐™ฅ ๐™›๐™š๐™š๐™ก๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™—๐™š๐™ฉ๐™ง๐™–๐™ฎ๐™š๐™™ ๐™—๐™ฎ ๐™š๐™ซ๐™š๐™ง๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ฃ๐™š...
11.6M 516K 74
Mia Collins just wanted to get through her senior year of high school with as minimal awkward situations as possible. However, that's kind of hard to...
4.5K 79 8
"I don't care. I don't care if you wear a scarf over your head. Or if you prefer to wear long sleeves and pray five times a day", he inches closer. "...
1.4K 71 39
Meera Desai. She believed in public affection. James Brenegan. He believed in private affection. She wanted a public display of affection while he w...