Ariadne: Almost an Alpha | ✓

By luluminous

Ariadne has always been self-reliant. Four years ago, she became the leader of a small group of rogues, and h... More

Chapter 1 - Not the Right Time
Chapter 2 - Better for Him
Chapter 3 - The Presence in My Thoughts
Chapter 4 - Sexist Bigots
Chapter 5 - Pitch Black
Chapter 7 - Unannounced
Chapter 8 - Trance
Chapter 9 - Orders Are Orders
Chapter 10 - Anytime Soon
Chapter 11 - The Rougarou
Chapter 12 - The River
Chapter 13 - I Saw
Chapter 14 - Hit Me
Chapter 15 - Only One
Chapter 16 - My Only Job
Chapter 17 - Your Turn
Chapter 18 - Check
Chapter 19 - What Now
Chapter 20 - Embarrassment
Chapter 21 - Avoiding Him
Chapter 22 - Too Weak
Chapter 23 - Cleaning
Chapter 24 - Wondering
Chapter 25 - Feeling Free
Chapter 26 - Reacquainted
Chapter 27 - Odd Zombie Aesthetic
Chapter 28 - Haunted
Chapter 29 - Something's Wrong
Chapter 30 - Too Kind to Me
Chapter 31 - Tortilla Aspirations
Chapter 32 - Blood Everywhere
Chapter 33 - Let Me Help You
Chapter 34 - Glad It's Not Easy
Chapter 35 - Round One: Not an "Independent Woman" Thing
Chapter 36 - A Way with Words
Chapter 37 - Round Two: Until I Know
Chapter 38 - You Won
Chapter 39 - Quietly Supportive
Chapter 40 - Round Three: One Bad Apple
Chapter 41 - A Mess
Chapter 42 - Our Family, Our Home
Chapter 43 - Another Chapter of Our Lives
Chapter 44 - Missed You
Chapter 45 - Somewhere in the Middle
Chapter 46 - The Ritual: Blood is Important
Chapter 47 - Our Boundary
Chapter 48 - I'm the True Alpha
Chapter 49 - My Worst Nightmare
Chapter 50 - The Fragile Facade Falls
Chapter 51 - Sad Autopilot
Chapter 52 - As Good of a Plan
Chapter 53 - I Am not Afraid Anymore
Chapter 54 - Where is She Really?
Chapter 55 - Start Your Own Life Apart from Mine
Chapter 56 - Really, Where Is She?
Chapter 57 - Oranges
Chapter 58 - Stop Running for Once
Chapter 59 - Finally Subdued
Chapter 60 - Not Grounds for Removal
Chapter 61 - Stepping up to the Plate
Chapter 62 - A Story
Chapter 63 - If You'll Still Have Me
Epilogue
Ayla: Always an Alpha

Chapter 6 - An Idea

34.2K 1.3K 180
By luluminous

Chapter 6 - An Idea

At breakfast, I overheard some of the warrior wolves talking about recent events of the region, and they gave me an idea on how I can prove myself to the council, maybe allowing me to run my pack.

"What time is the meeting with the council today?" I ask Mateus randomly, making eye contact. Everyone on this side of the table is in the same setup as yesterday, so he's sitting across from me again.

Mateus blinks, startled that I addressed him directly; I had been avoiding talking to him since I walked out of the kitchen.

"Noon," he reveals.

I nod to show him I understand and continue eating, but now all I can think about is my idea. Is it guaranteed to work?

The guys ask me some questions, and I nod along to the conversation occasionally until I finish eating.

"Well, I'll see you all later," I tell them, grabbing my empty plate to bring to the kitchen.

I only have two and a half hours before the council meeting, so I rush to call Dylan. We argue about it a little, but after going through all the details, he eventually acquiesces.

-------

As soon as the council head, Albert, begins the meeting, I step forward with my back straight and my head held high.

"I would like to participate in the tournament," I declare to gasps of astonishment. A tournament occurs when a pack's alpha dies or wishes to retire, yet he or she does not have an heir. The pack can either agree to appoint someone to the position or hold a tournament, where the competitors of the pack fight, and the winner becomes the alpha.

"I assume you're referring to the upcoming one in Montana?" Albert clarifies.

"Yes, sir," I respond.

"For what reason?"

"I wouldn't compete to become their alpha," I state, "but to prove to the council that I can be the alpha of my own pack. That is the only major reason you have not agreed to give my pack its status, correct? I'm merely a feeble little female? A teenager no less? Who has no potential to control a pack and deal with pack problems?"

"Would the Montana pack agree to this?" one of the councilmen questions.

"It wouldn't hurt to ask," I reveal, trying to hold back a smile. They don't know that I have a few connections within the Montana pack.

"What if she wins?" another queries.

"Come on, she won't win," Alpha Thomas pipes up, once again from behind the council head, and I hear a few sounds of agreement. "At least 50 competent males compete in each tournament."

The smile erupts onto my face; this room underestimates me. "He's right, of course," I lie. "I wouldn't make it through all five tasks."

"How many tasks should she have to get through?" head councilman Albert asks the table.

"Past the third should be sufficient," the councilman to his right suggests.

"Any outside comments?" Albert asks the room.

As I look around, I catch Alpha Hudson's, James's, eye. He winks, and I realize he knows I can do this. My eyes land on Mateus, who sits at the right end of the table, closest to where I'm standing, and although, at first glance, his face shows no sign of emotion, I notice his jaw is clenched.

"What if she dies?" Mateus asks, staring into the table, and I freeze. I hadn't thought about that; it isn't uncommon for someone to die during the competition.

"Then she dies," Albert says, shrugging, "and we figure out what to do about her group of rogues."

Mateus raises his head to look at me. His eyes are filled with hundreds of different emotions, and I have to fight not to look away.

"You're okay with that?" Mateus questions, his voice low.

It only takes me a second to make up my mind. If this is what it takes to show them that I am worthy, that my pack is worthy, then so be it. "Yes," I admit. "That's ok."

The room is silent.

"It appears to be time for the council to take a vote," Albert announces. "If Ms. Ariadne can make it past three tasks in the Montana tournament, we will meet again to discuss giving her pack its official status, including everything that comes with it. Those in favor say 'yea.' Those who aren't say 'nay.'"

"Herald?" Albert asks.

"Yea," the man to his right replies.

"Ambrose?"

"Yea."

Albert continues through the ten councilmen. "And that is a 'yea' for me also," he declares. "The final tally is 8 to 3 in favor of Ms. Ariadne competing. That concludes this meeting."

Everyone begins to file out of the room, and I turn to follow, a huge smile plastered on my face.

A hand slaps me on the back. "Congratulations," James says.

"On what?" I ask. "I haven't won yet."

"Oh, but you will," he says assuredly. "I have a feeling that you know what you're doing."

He smiles, and my own smile widens; I have someone rooting for me.

I rush to call Dylan with the good news.

------- Mateus's P.O.V.

"Alright, what's bothering you?" James stops to ask after he manages to punch me in the shoulder again. We're sparring, but I can't get my head into it; I'm too distracted.

"Nothing," I reply. "Come on, let's continue."

"Mateus, don't play that aloof shit with me. I know you too well"

I glare at him. He's right; we've been friends since he and his parents came to one of my parents' parties when we were younger. He was the only interesting kid there that was around my age, and we immediately banded together to cause trouble.

"Is it possible...," I start but don't continue, not knowing how to word it. "I don't..."

James looks at me, waiting for me to continue. "Just spit it out," he tells me.

"There's a girl," I admit.

James lets out a sarcastic whistle. "Wow, a girl has finally caught Mateus's eye. I didn't think I'd ever see the day. It's been quite a while"

"I think she's my mate."

"You think?" he questions, laughing. "I mean I personally couldn't tell you, but I've heard it's pretty easy to know."

"It's complicated. I feel like I know, but she told me she didn't feel anything. Is it possible for someone not to feel the bond when it exists?"

"I've never heard of that ever occurring," James claims. "Who is she?"

Instead of answering his questions, I motion for us to continue sparring.

"No," he declares, "we're going to talk about this. Who is she?"

I don't answer again.

"Alright then, so I imagine it's someone you've never spoken with before now. That rules out all the females around the pack house, but then every other girl already has a mate. She'd have to have just arrived." James suddenly looks at me, eyes sparkling. He figured it out. "Oh," he states, smiling.

"Yeah," I say, turning to grab two towels from the cabinet on the side of the room. When I face him again, his smile is even bigger.

"Stop smiling like an idiot," I tell him, annoyed that he finds joy in my troubles.

"That's what all those weird eye contact moments were about at breakfast," James notes, "and that's why you've been so quiet lately."

"Weird eye contact moments?"

"She can feel it," he says, beaming. "Trust me on this one."

"You're insane," I reveal, tossing him a towel.

------- Ariadne's P.O.V.

"James!" I call to him as he walks out of a large rectangular metal building.

He grins, and I walk up to him.

"Hey," he says, his smile getting bigger. His blonde hair is wet, and he smells like soap.

"Where's Mateus?" I ask.

His brown eyes sparkling, James motions to the building behind him.

"Why are you so happy?" I inquire. He's kind of freaking me out.

"No reason," he laughs, flipping a towel over his shoulder and walking away.

A little weirded out, I walk into the building and follow echoing repetitive sounds. Thunk. Thunk. They lead me through a giant open area and into a side room filled with punching bags. I pause at the doorway.

Mateus's back is to me as he throws punch after punch at the heavy bag. He's shirtless, and I can see his muscles ripple with each move. The power and force has the bag swaying, and the chains at the top rattle a bit, adding to the thumping and grunting echoes.

"Mateus," I call, trying to get his attention, but he doesn't seem to hear me. I step closer. "Mateus!"

When he still shows no signs of hearing me, I move to grab his shoulder. As soon as my hand touches his skin, he pivots around, throwing an instinctual punch at my head, but I'm ready for it. I duck in time and move out of reach.

"Shit, Ariadne," he says apologetically, coming closer. "I didn't mean to."

"I know," I reassure him, keeping my eyes on his face and not his glistening abs. "You were too concentrated. You didn't hear me."

Damp from sweat, the longer part of his slightly tousled hair hangs over his forehead. He combs it back up with his fingers, and I grab the towel near me on the floor before handing it to him.

As he pats his face, I speak. "I just wanted to tell you I'm leaving soon. Thank you for allowing me to stay here the past few days."

"When are you leaving?" he asks, his voice now void of emotion.

"About an hour. I asked Dylan to send a car this morning, so it should be here around 5."

"You don't have to," Mateus asserts, a hint of desperation in his voice. "You can train here for the tournament. I can train you."

"Thank you for the offer, but I need to get back to my pack," I tell him, apologizing with my eyes.

He doesn't say anything for a second. "Can I at least send you with some of my men?"

"No, that's not necessary. We're not an official pack."

"That doesn't matter. My job is to protect our kind from rogues, and your pack has a rogue problem."

"No," I declare adamantly. I know he just wants to watch over me, and he needs to let go.

"Just four men, please," he says lowly, and my breath hitches at the realization of how close he somehow got to me. His eyes look into mine, and their blue depths beg me to agree.

"Two," I acquiesce, and he sighs, "and not for long."

"Thank you," he whispers, the noise drawing my gaze to his lips. The energy between us, the bond's pull, is stronger with him this close.

My lips part slowly, and I find myself leaning in. 'No,' the more conscious part of my brain tells me. I immediately step back, and hurt flashes across his face.

"I better go update Dylan," I announce, moving to leave.

-------

Carter steps out of the black sedan, looking around. He hugs me and whispers, "Why is there a small crowd waiting?"

"Two of the Warriors will be following us in their own car," I tell him. "Alpha Jackson insists they stay in our pack."

Carter lets go of me and, sensing Mateus's power, moves to greet him

"Nice to meet you," he says, holding his right hand out, "I'm Carter."

Mateus shakes it while glaring into Carter's eyes, and I feel a bit of pride for Carter when he doesn't even flinch.

Sterling and Nathan, the two men that first escorted Dylan and I into the meeting room, move forward to greet Carter. Mateus chose them to accompany us, and I feel slightly better about the situation because I already know them, even though Nathan, the dark-haired giant, never apologized for his rough treatment that first day.

James steps up to me. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you again," he says, winking. When I move to shake his hand, he pulls me in for a hug.

"Oh you're the hugging type," I note, laughing.

"Not really," he smirks, his eyes glancing to the right. "I just wanted to see something."

"Well, ok," I say, confused, "bye."

I put the bag of clothes in the trunk of Carter's car and am heading towards the shotgun seat when a warm hand tugs me into a hug.

I inhale Mateus' scent of pine and cedar as my arms go around his back, savoring this last moment. In response, he squeezes me a little tighter around the waist and leans to murmur into my ear, "Please, be safe."

Before anyone can realize how long we've been hugging, I step away.

"It was nice meeting you," I tell him, avoiding his pained eyes.

"Come on," Carter says from the other side of the car. "I don't want to get home too late."

After one last glance at Mateus, who looks defeated, I get into the car. Through the window, I watch Mateus pass a smirking James and head towards the woods.  

~~~~~~~~~~

For some unknown reason, this is one of the earlier chapters I really enjoyed writing.

How do you guys feel about James?

Vote, follow, or comment if you wish. Have a wonderful day! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

793K 21.7K 40
Book One Nikita Anderson, a young werewolf from the Blood Moon pack. Shortly after her twentieth birthday she soon realizes that she is mated to none...
287K 10K 50
24 year old Athena is on her journey to success; but she has a secret. She is not human. What happens when Athena decides to return to her pack 8 yrs...
1.5K 24 27
"He dropped his hand after a moment and started walking toward the door, 'As much as I love you, I'm having a really hard time finding that emotion r...
764K 21.8K 35
Book 1 in the Rogue War series. Life has a way of yanking the rug from beneath one's feet. Katrina knows that better than most, after being rejected...